Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning to paint again

Learning to paint again

After a failed attempt at getting back into painting last year I'm trying again. I bought a book and paints from Foundry which seems to fit with how I paint anyway but more structured.

First up - a cowboy which I tried to copy from the book.

He turned out alright although he does seem to be wearing eyeliner. Could be a broke back cowboy?

Re: Learning to paint again

Next was a highly stressed Guardsman. He looks better in person than in the pictures, I might need some practice there too.

Always remember - Xenos are scary but stress is the silent killer.

Chaplain

Well, your return certainly was more productive than mine (there's a couple of minis from early this year that are just kind of going to live in a box for a while...oh the shame...).

Honestly I don't think the photos are bad at all, either. Particularly shot #2 of "commissar conniption"... I see detail, blending, teeth and eyes, all of the things photography usually plays hell with.

Yup, good picture of a good paintjob, if you're not satisfied I can't wait to see more!

Glad you decided to go back, because you are doing a wonderful job! Very nice, clean style, with stark shading, especially on the Guardsman. I like it. Are you going for an entire Imperial Guard army (I refuse to call them anything else), or are you painting random things?
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Wow, thanks for the complements I was expecting this just to be a place to keep my pics. I got a change of job so now have more time for this sort of thing which means I will be painting my way through my random box of stuff. At the moment im painting my first space marine in over 20 years so if nothing else it should be better than that one. I might paint up a Dwarf army based around Bugman somewhere down the line.

Anyway another cowboy.

Again using mostly foundry paints. I will need to work on the basing but other than that im happy with him.

Chaplain

Another dapper desperado! Do you mind me asking what game those are for?

BTW, looking forward to marines and dwarves.

Hes from foundry. I bought up some cowboys, romans and a cool little victorian resurrectionist set which I have decided to paint by candlelight while listening to Lovecraft audiobooks. I think the game is from foundry too and called 'The rules with no name'.

Chaplain

painting by candlelight? Ow, my eyes. I'm scared without the lovecraft. Empire of the dead might be one you'd enjoy, as well. Very Lovecraft.

Space Marines - I learned two things from painting this guy. First painting the Emperor's finest is kind of boring and second I hate transfers. That being said he does look abit sexy. Some of you may notice that his hands and bolter don't line up right, I can assure you that is intentional. He's patting it up and down in a threatening manner.

Got one more mini I want to paint then I might start my chaos combat card dudes.

Gandalf Stormcrow - Throwing Hobbits into harms way since 1937. I still have nightmares about painting his eyes.

Chaplain

Very nice Gandalf, and I completely empathize with the nightmare-eyes. I like the ultramarine, too. The only problem I have with the transfers is the transparent parts really, well, aren't. I suppose it could be mitigated with a little paint or ink on the edges, but at that level of effort it pretty much defeats it's own purpose. I'm absolutely terrible at any sort of freehand, though, so they are a necessary evil.
    So, combat cards? Are you saying you have the minis from a deck and are painting them next? If so, awesome project idea! If not, awesome project idea! Either way, can't wait!

I've never tried freehand although I might have to at some point. I will be painting all the minis in the combat cards deck although I only have 13 of them at the moment, ebay will have to help me out a little there. After checking out Fanny's warriors of chaos in the fantasy forum I decided I need more practice painting before going onto them his stuff is inspiring and terrifying so the next mini is a clansman.

You are doing a really good job so far keep it up hope to see more soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel36 View Post
    I don't think licking the black undercoat and dark greens will help though...
    That tip I gave you about not licking black undercoat... also kind of applies to superglue!
    My Log Comments Welcome

stormravens747 xbox live

Work time takes up too much painting time. I would quit if I never needed the money for paint and miniatures, but despite the hardships of being an upper lower middle class man in their mid thirtys I did finish another mini. He's a rugged handsome highlander like myself.

Now the good times are over and I need too start on my chaos project which should involve alot of swearing and self loathing. First up is Lukas Clawheart champion of Slaanesh

Im half way through Archaon but not much has been said about Slaanesh. Did they all wait until everyone else left and have a house party?
    Last edited by AceRimmer; 14-11-2015 at 00:25.

Chaplain

From what I can tell, ET was pretty much the Nurgle/Khorne Show, which was a little disappointing to me. The Debauchery and Scheming of the other two gods always felt more "infernal" to me, while the other two (war and disease) could've practically been forces of nature and no one would have batted an eye, particularly in such a bleak setting to start with.

That highlander looks great, I really like the pattern work you did. I've been wanting to try tweeds and plaids, but I've still been working my head around how to start. I'd say you nailed it, though.

Good luck with the cards, I can't wait for all the classic goodies!

I have the same problem with work I work a night shift so I sleep most of the day away. Looks like another good painnt jod there. Keep it up you are helping me keep up my painting.
    I don't think licking the black undercoat and dark greens will help though...
    That tip I gave you about not licking black undercoat... also kind of applies to superglue!
    My Log Comments Welcome

stormravens747 xbox live

I lost my mojo! Thought I better come on here check everything out and get it back. Been working alot of night shifts aswell so painting time is at a premeium along with everything else. On the plus side I got a 1st ed Krell off ebay last night so now I can paint up all three. Night shift ebay is why I dont drive a Ferrari.
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...to-paint-again

Since 2017
    Minis bought - 12
    Minis Painted - 6

Work, holidays and life. All things less important than painting but some how come before it. I did find some time to finish a couple of minis which makes it all worthwhile. The first is Lukas Clawheart a mighty champion of Slaanesh with no full frontal nudity. As predicted while painting him up I hated both myself and him. I've since come to terms with my level of painting which im happy with. I only need to see the therapist once a week now.

I was worried I would be too butch and manly to paint a nice pink and it turned out fabulous.

Slaanesh booty shot.
    While waiting for the washes and glazing to dry I painted a zombie. The colours are not so bright as they are in the picture not sure why he looks so green.

Already started on my next mini in which I will be trying out wet blending. With clear skys and a fair wind it should be quicker than the last ones.
    Thanks for looking
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...to-paint-again

Since 2017
    Minis bought - 12
    Minis Painted - 6

Chaplain

I like that champion a lot Ace. (What a Guy)

Old school HeroQuest zombie! I love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to glue and buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by FraustyTheSnowman View Post
    Anything else I have to say has already been said by Col Shaw...listen to the lego man, he's wise.
    "Ember of Dreams"
    http://www.amazon.com/Ember-Dreams-C...0408773&sr=1-1

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast