Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War: Warhammer Trailer

The lands of the nether, where the dutch roam free in the fields of Holland

Re: Total War: Warhammer Trailer

I've been perusing some comment sections (oh dear oh dear) and the total war forum, and while there are many many people really excited about the prospect of warhammer total war, there's also a lot of obnoxious naysaying.

A lot of that is really amusing considering they don't know anything about the setting though. I've read a bunch of comments about how for example they rather wanted total war medieval 3. They wanted "to play strategy with knights and infantry, rather than this fantasy drivel!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dan View Post
    TBO is the only person I know who can take an absurdly oversized and expensive model, give him bright purple armor and a turquoise codpiece, and leave me feeling like I have to have one.
    Painting logs: - Dwarfs -Lizardmen -Skaven -Beastmen -Tau -NMM knights of the white wolf - Commissions - BURNING WOOD ELVES (also NMM)
    ---> Newest: 15-11-2015; Flaming wood elves (burning treemen and dryads etc) - army complete! ---> New: 18-5-2014; 2 prizes at Throne of Skulls!!!!!

Chapter Master forseer of fates's Avatar

Odd that its just tzeentch, that's clearly van horstmann in the trailer.
    Age of Sigmar: maruis leitdorf *I see the Vikings are advancing in the same old fashion Daisy*-*wrong horse mate*-*Alas the battle is lost*

Re: Total War: Warhammer

Van Horstmann, Von Carstein, Karl Franz, and Gorbad Ironclaw looked awesome. I'm surprised they didn't have Ungrim in it instead of the random dwarf gunner.

Yeah thats definitely Van Horstmann.

The Orc was Gorbad Ironclaw? Not Grimgor Ironsides. Although I'm sure he'll show up. Thorgrim wasn't in the group either.

As its a trilogy they obviously won't start with the End Times. It might be cool to put it in the third game.

Its nice to see they went all out on a Blizzard level cinematic.

Hrrrrmmmmmm......

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it, but so far it looks like this will be a near miss for me. The lack of Bretonnians and Wood Elves (although the latter would inevitably be based on the 8th edition book, which never really floated my boat), my two favourite factions, is enough of a dent as it is, but what I'm really concerned about is that, going by the cinematic at least, the game will centre around the big named official characters of the setting. Much like Warhammer itself, I don't want to play a game exclusively based around big named characters like Karl Franz or Mannfred or whatever, I don't want to retell their stories. That just doesn't interest me. I want to tell my own stories, with a bunch of characters I invented myself.

So facilitate generic characters, and include Bretonnia (like I said, Wood Elves, while my favourite faction, would inevitably be based on the 8th edition book, which is my least favourite rendition of them, so I'm not too fussed either way about them being in it), and it could be a winner for me, but otherwise I'll probably be steering clear of it. Maybe the stand-alone expansions will have what I'm looking for...

The cinematic was ace though, especially that burning city.
    Last edited by Kakapo42; 23-04-2015 at 03:01.
    Death to Metaplots!!

Currently wishing it were still 2004-6

Naked Metal- my new hobby blog. Go on, visit it, don't be shy

Quote Originally Posted by Pojko View Post
    I want to be excited, but with Total War's track record I should probably wait a couple months before buying it. I made the mistake of pre-ordering Rome 2 Total War and it was a mess. After that I made the decision not to pre-order games anymore. But I may struggle with breaking that rule here. It's Warhammer after all...

Slightly off topic, who here has tried the Rage of Dark Gods mod for Medieval 2? Quality stuff there. Hope this game can live up to it.
    To be fair, the TW series is largely amazing with the only hiccups being Empire and Rome 2. Games like Rome, Medieval 2 and Shogun 2 were incredible. Im just psyched by the variety were seeing in just these tiny snippets, both Celestial and Light Wizards has me hopeful for the full spectrum of Wizards. It willbe very interesting to see if units like this are attached to larger units or simply independent and able to join units.

Traditionally characters just have a bodyguard. But this game is going to have a great deal of things we have never seen in a TW game.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAquila View Post
    While I am a not exactly a huge Gamer, I found this tidbit of Information:

"The valiant Karl Franz marshals the men of the Empire, seeking to unite the fractured elector counts under a banner of strength against their common enemies.

"Hungry for the vicious brutality of combat, the Greenskins flock to the tribe of Grimgor Ironhide; Orcs and Goblins alike filled with an insatiable thirst for carnóage.

"High King Thorgrim orders the stoic Dwarfs forth from their mountain strongholds, marching to vengefully right the grave injustices dealt to them over the millennia.

"Yet the motives of the Vampire Counts under Mannfred von Carstien are shrouded in murderous secrecy, his armies raised from the rotting ranks of the dead.

"And while the Old World becomes torn by betrayal, war and the unleashing of unfathomable power, a greater threat still whispers in the winds from the north. The fabric of reality itself begins to rend and buckle…"

I think one could gather from that, that there are indeed the big names involved, not some generic heroes and it gives a glimps of some of the factions. No elves seems strange though, makes me wonder if they will be a dlc, are not in, or just not announced. Or if they are in the other parts of this supposed triology. Yes, it is apparently the first part of a triology. Maybe they will add the other races with the other titles?

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...e-in-a-trilogy
    My thinking is that Elves will be dlc, though this initial faction roster is very small for a TW game so we could just be yet to have all the factions announced, maybe in a follow up trailer?

Im supremely happy that Vampires was announced right off the bat, pardon the pun, considering I thought at best they would be relegated to dlc or at worst omitted entirely.

Extremely excited, Im going to need to upgrade my computer since it struggles to play Rome 2 currently.
    "Whom the Gods notice they destroy...be small and you will escape the jealousy of the great" The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

Did anyone feel like that was a copy of the Diablo3 cinematic?
    "Stay a while and listen"

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitorsz View Post
    Did anyone feel like that was a copy of the Diablo3 cinematic?
    "Stay a while and listen"
    They were my thoughts exactly, if it wasn't fir the awesome faction reveals I would have thought a lot less of it.
    "Whom the Gods notice they destroy...be small and you will escape the jealousy of the great" The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

They're taking my favorite video game series and blending it with my favorite tabletop game. They can do no wrong.

Given whats revealed I think we're looking at an Old World focus in the launch title. Hopefully meaning the Empire will be governed at the Electorate level with a ton of detail per faction rather than as one big blob. In which case I look forward to playing as Nuln-Wissenland and keeping my eyes peeled for Tamurkhan and Thanquol trying to eat the Countess.

Given Imperials, Vampires, Orcs, Dwarfs, Chaos, We'll probably have Brettonia, Wood Elves, Beastmen, and Skaven get fleshed out with DLC. Then the other Elves and Lizardmen as a New World Expansion, then the rest of the factions (Ogres, Tomb Kings... Chaos Dwarfs? Maybe Araby, Ind, Khuresh, and Cathay? Kurgan and Hung? Lustrian Amazons? They can flesh out factions only hinted at on the table. Its not like they have to support a miniatures game. Its a video game.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; 23-04-2015 at 03:56.

Quote Originally Posted by The bearded one View Post
    I've been perusing some comment sections (oh dear oh dear) and the total war forum, and while there are many many people really excited about the prospect of warhammer total war, there's also a lot of obnoxious naysaying.

A lot of that is really amusing considering they don't know anything about the setting though. I've read a bunch of comments about how for example they rather wanted total war medieval 3. They wanted "to play strategy with knights and infantry, rather than this fantasy drivel!"
    Well it's the total war community, they are sadly like that.

Yeah ever since Rome 2 came out the forum has gotten pretty toxic. Every person who isn't interested in the game feels a need to rant about how they won't be buying it as if Creative Assembly injured them. I was initially kind of bitter at Rome 2s disappointing launch bugs myself but then I remembered that the whole game and some DLC is cheaper than a land raider.

And its assembled and painted...

Video Gamers are so entitled. When was the last time they severed an artery with a hobby knife and nearly bled to death cleaning mold lines off Chaos Warriors? I mean I haven't either but still.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; 23-04-2015 at 05:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    Yeah ever since Rome 2 came out the forum has gotten pretty toxic. Every person who isn't interested in the game feels a need to rant about how they won't be buying it as if Creative Assembly injured them. I was initially kind of bitter at Rome 2s disappointing launch bugs myself but then I remembered that the whole game and some DLC is cheaper than a land raider.

And its assembled and painted...

Video Gamers are so entitled. When was the last time they severed an artery with a hobby knife and nearly bled to death cleaning mold lines off Chaos Warriors? I mean I haven't either but still.
    Complaining & whining about releases, even if it does not directly related to them. Pff, video gamers. Good thing we have none of that here!
    Twitter : @BDimetrius

Quote Originally Posted by Kakapo42 View Post
    Hrrrrmmmmmm......

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it, but so far it looks like this will be a near miss for me. The lack of Bretonnians and Wood Elves (although the latter would inevitably be based on the 8th edition book, which never really floated my boat), my two favourite factions, is enough of a dent as it is, but what I'm really concerned about is that, going by the cinematic at least, the game will centre around the big named official characters of the setting. Much like Warhammer itself, I don't want to play a game exclusively based around big named characters like Karl Franz or Mannfred or whatever, I don't want to retell their stories. That just doesn't interest me. I want to tell my own stories, with a bunch of characters I invented myself.

So facilitate generic characters, and include Bretonnia (like I said, Wood Elves, while my favourite faction, would inevitably be based on the 8th edition book, which is my least favourite rendition of them, so I'm not too fussed either way about them being in it), and it could be a winner for me, but otherwise I'll probably be steering clear of it. Maybe the stand-alone expansions will have what I'm looking for...

The cinematic was ace though, especially that burning city.
    Well it wont neccesarily revolve around big name characters. Traditionally TW does have historical faction leaders but most of the heavy lifting is done by random generated characters with tech trees and retinues for flavour. Mannfred for example might be the leader of your faction but there will more than likely be a host of Vampires to lead your armies that you can taylor to your liking. It will be interesting hiw generals work in this game since traditionally TW generals fill supportive roles rather than offensive, they tend to be very easy to kill. But Warhammer generals tend to be combat demigods. Intriguing indeed.

Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAquila View Post
    While I am a not exactly a huge Gamer, I found this tidbit of Information:

"The valiant Karl Franz marshals the men of the Empire, seeking to unite the fractured elector counts under a banner of strength against their common enemies.

"Hungry for the vicious brutality of combat, the Greenskins flock to the tribe of Grimgor Ironhide; Orcs and Goblins alike filled with an insatiable thirst for carnóage.

"High King Thorgrim orders the stoic Dwarfs forth from their mountain strongholds, marching to vengefully right the grave injustices dealt to them over the millennia.

"Yet the motives of the Vampire Counts under Mannfred von Carstien are shrouded in murderous secrecy, his armies raised from the rotting ranks of the dead.

"And while the Old World becomes torn by betrayal, war and the unleashing of unfathomable power, a greater threat still whispers in the winds from the north. The fabric of reality itself begins to rend and buckle…"

I think one could gather from that, that there are indeed the big names involved, not some generic heroes and it gives a glimps of some of the factions. No elves seems strange though, makes me wonder if they will be a dlc, are not in, or just not announced. Or if they are in the other parts of this supposed triology. Yes, it is apparently the first part of a triology. Maybe they will add the other races with the other titles?

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...e-in-a-trilogy
    Actually sounds like the first steps before End Times, if you ask me.

Re: Total War: Warhammer

Great to see that it's not 9th edition Warhammer but I even hope the game takes place before the end times.
    That could lead to have all Warhammer armies in the game if we are very lucky. Some of them would be minor factions of course (like Chaos Dwarfs for example).

I've been waiting for this announcement for months.

Not disappointed. A 3 game release to fit all of the factions in there is totally the way to do it and was part of the successful model that the 40k Dawn of War games used.

I'm chomping at the bit to get more details and am relieved they've left the end times garbage out of at least the first game. As a finale maybe, but this is just going to be an actual good game based on the Warhammer universe. It'll be the first of its kind in well over a decade.
    The Obsidian Thirst Battle Report Thread:
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...Battle-Reports
    -Aaron Dona

The lands of the nether, where the dutch roam free in the fields of Holland

The end times didn't have that much greenskin participation.

I like that they're tackling undead early on though. That could be a fascinating army to play - not to mention look amazing and creepy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dan View Post
    TBO is the only person I know who can take an absurdly oversized and expensive model, give him bright purple armor and a turquoise codpiece, and leave me feeling like I have to have one.
    Painting logs: - Dwarfs -Lizardmen -Skaven -Beastmen -Tau -NMM knights of the white wolf - Commissions - BURNING WOOD ELVES (also NMM)
    ---> Newest: 15-11-2015; Flaming wood elves (burning treemen and dryads etc) - army complete! ---> New: 18-5-2014; 2 prizes at Throne of Skulls!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The bearded one View Post
    The end times didn't have that much greenskin participation.

I like that they're tackling undead early on though. That could be a fascinating army to play - not to mention look amazing and creepy.
    Definately, an army that ,if kept true to the concept, wont have to deal with morale or stamina. Oh man i cant wait, i wonder what agents each faction will have. I could see a vampire assassin killing a general AND converting him to his cause. I wonder if necromancy will also play a part. Imagine if winning a battle made your army grow.

Oh no, imagine if crumbling is introduced?!
    Last edited by Khaines Wrath; 23-04-2015 at 07:40.

Warhammer actually brought me to Total War. I asked a friend if there were any strategy computer games that had morale systems and could be played co-op. He recomended Shogun 2 and I enjoyed that game immensely. Well over 500 hours played.
    The Obsidian Thirst Battle Report Thread:
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...Battle-Reports
    -Aaron Dona

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast