Thread: Board and Card game reviews

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Board and Card game reviews

Thought Id start a thread where we can discuss card and board games that we have played to make recommendations or warnings depending on our opinions of them. There's no strict grading system but your thoughts and a score out of 5 would be swell.

Im finding my gaming time moving further and further away from warhammer as of late and more to these type of games and XWing. So here's a few Ive played recently this year.

Cards against humanity

The titles saids it all. Each player draws 10 cards with random words, references, sentences etc. Each turn 1 player draws a phrase card with blank spaces to be filled in. Each player anonymously hands in a card and the winner is the one who creates the funniest sentence. It's a ball, Ive consistently played this game for over 3 hours and not gotten bored with it. If you have a good big group of friends it's an excellent way to kill an evening and a night. It's even more fun when you play the "rando" rule where one of the answers is random cards from the deck. I've played games where the deck beat the players. It's amazing. There's a tonne of content especially with all the expansions out now. Be warned though this isn't a game for children.

5/5

Super Fight

Another card game. This time however each turn two players draw 3 character cards and 3 attribute cards. They choose 1 of each and discard the rest. They then present their character with its attribute and the two fight. Both players must debate as to why they think their character would win and the other players discuss and eventually decide the winner by voting.

It's a very entertaining game where you could potentially have Star Lord with a piranha launcher fighting Martha Stewart but she's ten stories tall. There's tonnes of wacky situations, one of my personal favourites is when by miraculous coincidence we had a democrat vs a republican lol. But it can also be exhausting. Sometimes the decision is so painfully obvious it's frustrating that people want to discuss at all and sometimes it's so even there can be a good twenty minutes of discussion ending in a draw. It's the key element of fun of the game but also it's failing. While I find Cards Against Humanity easy to play in long durations Super Fight can get a bit gruelling. On a positive note though its very appropriate for kids, as long as you stay away from the Red expansion pack which is R for R rated.

It also suffers because since only 2 people play at each time the majority of your game will be on the voting side waiting for your turn rather than having fun participating. I could be biased too after once playing a seven hour long game Ive struggled to enjoy it as much ever since.

3.5/ 5

Coup

Another card game and easily my favourite on this list so far. Essentially you are playing as some influential member vying for control in an ever changing power struggle. Each player gets two face down character cards and these cards are both your assets and your influence. The aim of the game is to be the last player with any influence. Each character card allows you to perform an action.

The Captain "Blue" allows you to steal 2 coins from your opponents and block them from stealing your own.

The Duke "Purple" allows you to collect tax "3 coins" from the treasury "a pile of coins in the middle of the table". The Duke also allows you to block opponents from collecting foreign aid "collecting 2 coins from the treasury instead of the typical 1".

The Ambassador "Green" allows you to draw 2 new character cards and discard 2 cards, essentially allowing you to change your hand. He also prevents stealing just like the Captain.

The Assassin "Grey" for the cost of 3 coins can assassinate a player "forcing a player to lose 1 influence, which means to flip one of your character cards face up, rendering them useless".

The Contessa "Red" blocks assassination.

You do not reveal your cards to your opponents. The aim of the game is to perform actions each turn and bluff if you choose to about what assets you have. For example you might have drawn a Contessa and an Ambassador but you could claim you have a Duke and draw 3 coins. The risk comes into play if another player challenges an action you make and claims your bluffing. If your caught out in your bluff you lose 1 influence but if you really do have the card you claim to have the opponent loses 1 influence and the action goes ahead as normal. The player who successfully countered the bluff claim returns their card they revealed and draws a new one. This creates some of the most intense scenarios Ive ever been in since every action can be called a bluff and the risk of doing so is always present. It's very easy to be taken out by turn 2. It works in smaller or larger groups and games are nicely short.

5/5

Boss Monster

A very nicely designed deck building game with a retro video game aesthetic. Each player picks a boss character at random and works to building a side scrolling dungeon with each card representing a monster room ora trap room. The aim of the game is to entice Heroes "Mages,Cleric, Thiefs etc" to your dungeon so you can kill them. The first to collect 10 souls wins. There are 4 types of heroes and the aim is to lure them with a particular type of treasure by having more of that type of treasure than your opponents.

Thiefs are attracted to money bags.
    Mages are attracted to spell books.
    Fighters are attracted to Swords.
    Clerics are attracted to Anhk's.

However there is a risk in attracting heroes at all. Your boss monster has no attack of its own and must rely on setting traps and rooms to damage the heroes before they reach the boss room. If a hero has 14 hearts but your dungeon only deals 11 points of damage collectively then the hero wounds the boss monster. 5 wounds kills the boss and eliminates the player.

It's an extremely fun and well crafted game, the look is just gorgeous. There's also a lot of room for making nicely tailored thematic rooms since each type of treasure oriented room has a different effect.

Rooms with spell books tend to be heavily involved with spell cards and helping the player dominate the game with spell cards. Spell cards can be an extremely effective alternative to a weak dungeon and can play havoc on your opponents.

Rooms with money bags tend to be trap room oriented thus usually very sneaky and involves a lot of discarding of rooms to kill heroes.

Rooms with swords tend to be very aggressive. Generally the treasure is plentiful but the damage output is immense. Sword room cards also tend to buff other cards further increasing damage output.

Rooms with Anhk's tend to be a bit craftier. Generally they provide a modest amount of steady damage but reward the player with bonuses when heroes die in them such as healing a wound, drawing a new card or drawing from the discard pile.

Very entertaining and makes for excellent strategy.

4.5/5

I've yet to test out the Resistance and Coup: Reformation but I will add their reviews once Im done. I also hope to get my copy of Betrayal on the house on the hill which looks excellent.
    Last edited by Khaines Wrath; 19-06-2015 at 13:00.
    "Whom the Gods notice they destroy...be small and you will escape the jealousy of the great" The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.