Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobby Desk and Back Again: A Log by Doi

The Hobby Desk and Back Again: A Log by Doi

After years of lurking the MP&T forums, bar a patch in the middle where I haunted the Tale of Fantasy Painters before disappearing and becoming a lurker once more, I've decided to finally start one of these fancy project log things to chronicle my futile battle with a never-ending model backlog.

First, I guess I should give a short spiel on myself. I like long walks on the beach, candle-lit dinners...

I got into this hobby when I was twelve and, thirteen years later, my addiction to plastic crack is as strong as ever. I started with WFB back in 6th edition and, despite branching out into 40K, my main love is all things fantasy. Currently, I'm a Master's student doing quantitative ecology on the reptiles of Christmas Island (and a thesis due in 10 weeks!) with plans on moving on to a PhD after this.

At this point I should probably remove the band-aid post-haste and just list my backlog as it currently stands:

Finished
    Painting WIP
    Built
    Still in Box

Dark Elves

Goblin Cavalry Force

Ogre Kingdoms

Empire (Cult of Morr, based in Stirland)

Orks

Traitor Guard

Dark Eldar

Kingdom Death

Reaper Bones

Miscellaneous

Good thing I'm not painting up Zombicide or I'd have to add another 500+ models to that list...

And now, onto the fun stuff! Some pictures of finished stuff and then my current project.

~original

And my current project is a Dark Elf Dreadlord on Emperor Dragon. I haven't actually played a game of Warhammer in years (despite building myself a new table a year or so ago), but those I do play against with have no problem with this being house ruled. If not, I get a damn cool centerpiece for my Dark Elves.

Doi
    Last edited by Doi; 13-07-2017 at 03:31.

Re: The Hobby Desk and Back Again: A Log by Doi

Really nice start to the log, especially like the two toned Fw giant.

Looking forward to more!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the family looking forward to seeing more of your work here I hope you continue showing us some more of your finished minis and that this plog expands well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel36 View Post
    I don't think licking the black undercoat and dark greens will help though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel36 View Post
    That tip I gave you about not licking black undercoat... also kind of applies to superglue!
    My Log Comments Welcome

stormravens747 xbox live

Great start to the plog and welcome to the random page. Nice clean style you have the stonehorn(?) Tusks and orc claw both look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Roostmanuva View Post
    Really nice start to the log, especially like the two toned Fw giant.

Looking forward to more!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by bluewolf74727 View Post
    Welcome to the family looking forward to seeing more of your work here I hope you continue showing us some more of your finished minis and that this plog expands well.
    Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by AceRimmer View Post
    Great start to the plog and welcome to the random page. Nice clean style you have the stonehorn(?) Tusks and orc claw both look great.
    Thanks. My Ogres have this, IMO, nice contrast between the really rusty metal and everything else being 'clean'. It came about when I decided that I was loathe to dirty up the bright coloured pants that I've painted on all of them despite the rusty metal look, so they all look like they just raided an Empire uniform factory and kitted themselves out with new gear.

Since you asked for it, here is another finished model: The Tyrant that leads my Ogre Kingdoms force.

I've also made some progress in assembling Cang the Implacable. First, I've assembled the ruined tower that he stands upon. I had to undercoat the inside of the tower before assembly as some angles are going to be hard enough to reach with a paint brush let alone a spray can. I'm going to have to do the same on the outside of the tower and front of Cang himself because they sit so close together.

Also started putting together Cang. I had to sculpt an area of scales where the pieces didn't line up and although it isn't pretty it should be passable under a paint job. It was a weird join in the model, it wasn't a case of a big gap between two parts, as the join was near flush, but the lower half of the body just had this section that was more pronounced then the upper half.

And a dry-fit shot to show him in an assembled position:

My next challenge is dealing with attaching the arms as they both appear to be about 3-5mm longer than they should be to fit perfectly. The left arm, shown below, shouldn't be too bad as it essentially attaches from above so I can just fill in the gap with green stuff, but the right arm attaches from underneath and it causes the three contact points of the assembled body to the tower to be quite badly misaligned.

Doi

Hey Doi! Great to see you back showing off your fantastic painting skills mate! The lion riding goblins brought back a few memories . Thats one serious looking dragon- although assembly seems a bit challenging- who is it by?
    My random painting log- Dwarfs, Nids and VC - updated with Kharadrons! 01/05/17
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142003

Nice to be back posting things again . I'll have you know that your VC army is part of the reason I am planning mine to be Strigoi themed so my skeletons couldn't be compared to yours .

The dragon is Cang the Implacable by CMON, which they produced for their 10th anniversary.

Doi

Other than some undercoat on areas about to be attached in close proximity I have made no more progress on the dragon because I've been making furniture. I currently have a little table in front of my couch to hold all of my remotes/controllers/drinks/etc but it doesn't have enough room anymore to accommodate everything after buying new consoles so I decided to build a new one. And since I was doing it myself I decided a boring, flat top just wouldn't do.

So I took my all-time favourite Warhammer image (by the ridiculously talented Karl Kopinski):

And with some techno-magic did this:

I still need to stain and finish it but I wasn't sure how the photo would turn out since it would be slightly glossy so this is just raw timber. I'm very pleased with how it turned out .

Doi

Ooo cool!!!Love that image. Looked up that dragon- very nice- thought the rider would make a great vampire.. Strigoi Vc huh? Looking forward to seeing them! Get painting!!

The female rider would make a nice vampire. If I had one it would be yours but I brought in on release and it only had one rider option (guy with the cape and helmet). The Strigoi are going to be a long time off I'm afraid, have you seen that list of unfinished models I have? I haven't even bought models for that army yet...

On the Cang front, I managed to coerce the pieces into fitting together better and now the arms are in place and I should only need to do minimal sculpting of gaps now. I'll get pictures up after uni tomorrow if I have the time, otherwise Friday.

Doi

Many moons ago I used to lurk on The Waaagh! forums where every warboss and his squig was converting gigantic tanks/stompas/gargants/etc, and lots of people had their own custom scale figure to show just how gigantic their newest build was, so I decided to finally build my own.

The markings on the pole correspond to increments of an inch from the bottom of the base. I didn't want to spend a great deal of time on him so I decided to do an experiment and did the majority of this paint job in washes/glazes from the GW range over a white undercoat. The only things painted normally are the red on the pole, the black banner top, and the grotz's claws/teeth. All finished up it was now time to put him to use...

Maybe I should have made him bigger .

I still need to fill the gaps around the freshly glued wings, head, and tail section, but the end is in sight! To the tip of his wings he stands 516mm (20 and 5/8") tall and the minimum sized base he will fit on is 130x190mm...

Doi

That is one seriously big dragon!

Holy crap!
    I now have the urge to buy that dragon, paint about a sixth of it, and then leave it standing around for about half a decade without even looking at it once.
    2012 Minis bought: 363 - - Minis painted: 373
    2013 Minis bought: 1060 - - Minis painted: 210
    2014 Minis bought: 651 - - Minis painted: 63
    2015 Minis bought: 1057 - - Minis painted: 105 - - Sold: 556
    2016 Minis bought: 386 - - Minis painted: 8 - - Sold: 332

Don't worry, mine has done enough shelf-sitting for the both of us . The box has sat on a shelf since release and stared at me until I relented, looked at the pieces and said "Yep, still not good enough to do it justice" and placed it back on the shelf, and repeated that process every few months or so.

But one day I must have been pretty full of myself because I've assembled him now...

Doi

Couldn't you have found anything bigger? Looking great Doi! Quite a construct! How are you going to paint him? A bit at a time? I nearly lost the will to live trying to paint a tervigon so I don't envy you dong something that big but section by section got me through it!

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Couldn't you have found anything bigger?
    Not unless I decided to paint myself up as a 1:1 Grom the Paunch . I have some other big dragon models out of the Reaper kickstarters but nothing as big as Cang (well, some of the dragons are bigger, but not the whole model).

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Looking great Doi! Quite a construct! How are you going to paint him? A bit at a time? I nearly lost the will to live trying to paint a tervigon so I don't envy you dong something that big but section by section got me through it!
    I'm painting him in sections. Rock (started applying paint yesterday), tower, Cang's scales, Cang's wing membrane, Cang's bone plates/horns/claws and then the small stuff like eyes/mouth/etc.

Since I'm painting Cang black/dark grey (since he is going with my Dark Elves) I've got to be very careful that I don't make the entire model too monochrome overall, but I also don't want to make the base become the focus of the model. This means I'm experimenting with different colours/techniques for the rock and tower (because a massive model like Cang is the perfect place to experiment with painting techniques ). I'm in the process of painting the rock in a blue/grey colour that reminds me a bit of slate (and then all of the upwards-facing surfaces will get covered in snow), and I'm planning on doing the tower like an old elven ruin and I've modified a picture of Osgiliath below to give a rough idea of the colour I'm going for.

Doi

I've got the foundation for the rock done so far and I'm pretty happy with the progress. The camera has managed to make the photos look like it used the camera flash despite not doing so so it looks much more highlighted then it actually is at this point. It also removed all traces of the blue tint to the grey colour so I tried to adjust it back to normal in an image editor so it looks fairly close (is a touch more blue in real life).

So far I've done:

Mechanicus Standard Grey base
    Heavy Codex Grey drybrush all over
    Ulthuan Grey and Rakarth Flesh drybrushed moderately over about 50% of the surface each, focusing on more prominent areas, and not caring too much if the colours overlap.
    1:1:4ish Nuln Oil/Asurmen Blue/Water washed fairly liberally all over.

And I'm planning to follow up with:

1:1:4ish wash again but only in deep crevasses, under over-hangs etc
    Ulthuan Grey/Rakarth Flesh drybrush again
    Longbeard Grey/Pallid Wych Flesh drybrushes focusing on the more prominent areas
    1:1:6ish (?) wash again all over to tint to more recent drybrush colours and to remove some of the 'chalkiness' look that drybrushing leaves

But I am pretty much making this all up as I go so I'm open to suggestions. Thoughts?

Doi

I've finished up the rock but I forgot to take pictures before I covered it all in glad wrap and painter's tape . I've now made a start on the tower and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

50:50 Rakarth Flesh/Zandri Dust
    Drybrush Screaming Skull
    Drybrush Terminatus Stone in random patches for variation

Now I'm moving on to the washes to dirty it up a bit.

And I passed a hobby shop when I was on the otherwise of town yesterday with some time to kill before my train. Ended up only making it to my train with ten seconds to spare with these in hand...

My favourite dinosaur:

My favourite fantasy ship:

I haven't used 'traditional' scale model kits in quite some time nor anything similar in style to these kits ever so they will provide a nice change to my regular options.

Doi

I think I'm pretty much finished with the tower now. I might do some more weathering but not until Cang himself is painted.

My camera still doesn't like getting the colour right for this, but the following is pretty damn close:

I've now got everything bar Cang wrapped in plastic and painter's tape so I can start on him soon .

EDIT: Painting has shown me that I missed two glaringly obvious mould lines on the tower, but they are thankfully pretty well hidden by Cang.

Doi

Looking good so far it would take me a couple of years to paint that bad boy.
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...to-paint-again

Since 2017
    Minis bought - 12
    Minis Painted - 6

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast