Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Hobby Desk and Back Again: A Log by Doi

Re: The Hobby Desk and Back Again: A Log by Doi

I jumped in on AoS before the General's Handbook (so in effect, all lists were legal), but if I get back into playing I'm considering a hybrid approach to list building that merges the point balance of GH with the "field whatever you want" spirit of AoS originally. I'd ignore the force organisation chart (or whatever it is called now) saying X heroes, Y battleline units, but use the points from GH (although I'd allow people to work out points per model instead of buying in groups of 5/10/etc, otherwise it is impossible to build chaos units in multiples of a god's number!). As long as you're playing in the right company it would provide even forces on either sides while still allowing armies built around theme or a modelling idea. Case in point, I couldn't do my planned Rotbringer's army under the GH since taking the soul grinder means I can't treat the Blight Kings as my mandatory batteline units.

I care virtually nothing about wins/losses as long as I have a good time, and what better way than two roughly equal forces that are beautifully modeled/painted? I have no interest in playing against whatever meta build is currently the strongest.

Doi
    Last edited by Doi; 11-12-2016 at 22:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    A small Sylvaneth army (1x treeman, 2x3 hunters, 2x10 revenants) would be a nice project. Especially if one goes to town with woodland scenics foliage...
    Stupid silverstu giving me ideas. Stupid GW releasing a bundle deal of only the models I wanted at nearly 50% off (which I then picked up for a further 20% off).

I feel like I had no choice .

I don't know how the savings work out for the rest of the world, but here in Oz:

Darkroot Wargrove battleforce = $280 (I got it for $224)

Contents:
    Treelord Ancient = $96
    Drycha Hamadreth = $100
    Kurnoth Hunters (2x3) = $200
    Spite-/Tree-Revenants (2x5) = $125

Total = $526

I'm sure the $300 I saved will just go into buying foliage from woodland scenics .

I've got a day off tomorrow so I'm hoping to finish off the base for the Gold Smoke Knight .

Doi

Gold Smoke Knight finished! Too bad the pictures are poor. Time to invest in a new camera I think.

On to the pictures:

First off, making those grass tufts sucked! I had bags of loose blades of grass (not ure what the product is called) that had to be glued into bundles and the pinned to the base. There was no way I could think of except to apply superglue to bundle end and try rolling it into a roundish column as the glue dried. I got superglue all over my fingers but thankfully I never got stuck to the bundles. Only problem is that some camera angles emphasise where some bundles look flat from one direction...

As of today I'm officially on holidays from my PhD for ~3.5 weeks (although I still work part time two days a week) so it is time for some serious hobby progress. I have exactly one truckload of potential projects to be working on so I should probably make a to-do list for the next month. At the very least I want to complete these:

Finish AoS Rotbringers army assembly (5 more Blight Kings, a Rotbringers Sorceror, and a "Soul Grinder")
    Finish painting my KD White Knight
    Finish painting my KD White Knight Heavy
    Finish painting my KD Storm Knight

Beyond that, some of these:
    Assemble remaining Kingdom Death: Monster expansions (Sunstalker, Lion God, Lonely Tree, Lion Knight, Dung Beetle Knight)
    Assemble some KD:M armour kits (so I'm not just using the starter models)
    Finish my Pan and The Chase diorama/bookends (but this is dependent on finding somewhere open over the holidays that will custom cut acrylic sheeting)
    Traitor Guard
    Flesh Eater Courts
    Sylvaneth
    Orks
    Build two more Dropzone Commander starter armies (PHR and Shaltari)

Choices, choices...

Doi

His gold armour looks superb.

The Gold Smoke Knight looks ace! I've grappled with those home made tufts- they are a pain. I've gone to buying the made battlefields tufts, very handy.
    Don't blame me for your Sylvaneth!! I was very tempted by that bundle but didn't have the funds and its sold out now. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them [and what woodland scenics you go for!] I think they are a great little faction, I'll probably get more once I get my paint scheme a bit more settled [I have the Hunters, Dryads and Revenants at the moment]. I got myself the Malignants start collecting as my Christmas bonus and I'm still itching to get the flesh eater courts as well. I bought my gaming buddy a Blood Bound paint set, hoping he gets back into it and we give AoS a go [maybe via Silver Tower] as I think it could be fun and quicker than a WFB game [to arrange, play and set up] as you can play at smaller model counts? Handy as we both have less time these days.

Go on -start your Sylvaneth, you know you want to..
    My random painting log- Dwarfs, Nids and VC - updated with Kharadrons! 01/05/17
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142003

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    The Gold Smoke Knight looks ace! I've grappled with those home made tufts- they are a pain. I've gone to buying the made battlefields tufts, very handy.
    Don't blame me for your Sylvaneth!! I was very tempted by that bundle but didn't have the funds and its sold out now. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them [and what woodland scenics you go for!] I think they are a great little faction, I'll probably get more once I get my paint scheme a bit more settled [I have the Hunters, Dryads and Revenants at the moment]. I got myself the Malignants start collecting as my Christmas bonus and I'm still itching to get the flesh eater courts as well. I bought my gaming buddy a Blood Bound paint set, hoping he gets back into it and we give AoS a go [maybe via Silver Tower] as I think it could be fun and quicker than a WFB game [to arrange, play and set up] as you can play at smaller model counts? Handy as we both have less time these days.

Go on -start your Sylvaneth, you know you want to..
    I use miniNatur tufts normally but those are only ~7-8mm high max and I wanted long grass. miniNatur stuff is top notch for this type of stuff (and complements the Woodland Scenics stuff really well).

And blame you for Sylvaneth I will! I haven't really settled on a colour scheme for them yet (Christmas means I'm not expecting them in the mail until today) but since AoS has lots of bright flashy colours I'd probably be looking at something springtime-ish with bright green foliage and maybe a whitish-brown bark? Maybe like a paperbark tree.

Doi

Time for a Rotbringers update. I now have 17/19 of the planned starting force built. I'm still missing one Rotbringer Sorcerer but I don't know what I'm going to base him on yet since I'm not a big fan of the GW model. I've been thinking about a conversion based on the Plague Priest from the Screaming Bell kit. The final model will be my Arachnarok/Giant/Tervigon(?) hybrid conversion for a Soul Grinder.

These are my two Blight Kings squads:

Squad 1:
    Champion and Icon Bearer

Musician and normal BK

Remaining BK

Squad 2:
    Champion and Icon Bearer

Musician and normal BK

Remaining BK

I'm very pleased with how the conversions have worked out. The only disappointing thing with the Blight Kings kit is how some parts are restricted to being attached to certain other parts (i.e. weapon a/b/c can only go on body a) so some of the combinations took some considerable work to go together. There are still quite a few parts in the kit I haven't used yet so I'm considering making a third squad of 7 now...

On a side note, the Sylvaneth have shown up in the mail .

On a more important note, I figured out which button on the camera changed the setting that was washing out the colour in my photos! Now I can take some better pictures of the Gold Smoke Knight once the weather improves to the point the house isn't on lock down from the heat and I can get some light in through the windows.

Doi

Very nice conversions there mate!Really love the musician in the 2nd unit with the over the shoulder bell.
    Sylvaneth arrived then... like the sound of the paper tree scheme.. no pressure

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Very nice conversions there mate!Really love the musician in the 2nd unit with the over the shoulder bell.
    Which is actually one of the few models without any conversion work .

Doi

Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Which is actually one of the few models without any conversion work .

Doi
    But its assembled so well...

Probably because there is no conversion work .

I'm hoping to get an update here tomorrow. Built some Kingdom Death and Ork models.

Doi

Time for a big update!

First up, I've completed the two teams from the Bloodbowl core set (each team is two of each sculpt, so I've just shown half of each team). So far I've played one game and I wont 2-1 as the Humans against my brother.

I had a hankering for building some Orks the other day so I started a unit of Meganobz with Killsaws. Some minor (and I do mean minor) conversion work on two of these. I gave one of them two stikkbomb launchers and another one from a vehicle kit . This will be a unit of 5 so I've got one normal and one Boss Nob to go.

I'm planning to run a Warhammer RPG later this year using the Zweihander (i.e. Warhammer RPG 2.5) rule set when the Kickstarter fulfills. I'm hoping to have at least all of the big encounters painted up so I've made a start on painting them early. The stone elemental is finished as fair as painting goes but still needs a generous application of grass/moss tufts, while the trolls are only as progressed as a basecoat on the skin and one highlight on the green.

Now for some Kingdom Death. I've made some minor progress on the two White Knights. Since you've seen them last I think I've only managed to paint the fur and make my first attempt at sponged on battle damage to the ball on the chain (which I'm happy with, but it could be better). I still need to shade the white armour more.

And now for the important part (drum roll please!), better pictures of the finished Gold Smoke Knight!

Doi

The Kingdom Death 1.5 kickstarter finished up a few hours ago and ended up raising $12,393,139 (highest board game ever, and fourth highest overall!). I ended up backing for just over $1000US...

So, since I had the camera out and the game out since I'm playing it tonight I thought I'd take some pictures of the models that I'm planning to paint over the coming twelve months.

First up is the starting survivors (I've kept my Scale Grot in each shot to show how big some of the models get. Each red/white section is an inch long starting at ground level). When the game starts you are a group of people that wake up with no memories, no ability to speak, the world is pitch black, and you are only equipped with a waist cloth, a lantern, and a rock you pry out of the ground. These are bigger then GW models (the bases are 30mm, and it isn't heroic scale).

The game is like Dark Souls meets Monster Hunter meets Civilisation. You're trying to build a settlement and to do so you have to hunt monster for resources. The two early game hunt-able monsters are the White Lion and Screaming Antelope. Yes, that is a giant maw under the Screaming Antelope's stomach and yes, it will use it in the fight to eat weapons/your limbs.

Later in the game you will be able to hunt the Phoenix. This guy not only uses his wings to send blasts of air to knock you flying across the map but can distort time to make your characters age backwards/really fast forwards so you die. It is also a great example of Adam Poots' (the creator) obsession with hands and hidden faces. His obsession with genitalia will be seen later...

There are about thirty of these damn hands that need to be glued in place in a very specific order one by one...

Kingdom Death wouldn't be Kingdom Death if it just let you try and build the settlement without obstacles to overcome, and these take the form of Nemesis encounters. These guys show up just to wreck your day (and in my experience they are very successful). The first one you encounter is The Butcher (left) who is a former survivor who went insane and now hunts other survivors to collect their lanterns and skinned faces. The Kings Man serve as guards/heralds of some of the important entities in the area of KD the game is set (Scribe/King, who aren't in the game yet). This guy has wrecked my day many times with that damn halberd. I've never beaten him.

The last two enemies in the core game are The Hand (left) and The Watcher (right). The Hand are the highest ranking members of The King's guard and can see through the eyes of all Kings Man. This guy is a supremely cocky master swordsman. The Watcher is the final boss of the core game (until the new kickstarter brings an update to the core game where the Gold Smoke Knight extends the game another five years). I've gotten to The Watcher once and lost so it was game over...

Expansions in the next post!

Doi

The Gorm expansion adds in another early game hunt-able monster. This guy will quite happily should check you into submission.

The Spidicules expansion adds another hunt-able monster and is half the reason I made sure to use the Scale Grot. This guy is quick, and will spawn spiderlings to cause trouble during the fight.

A face only a mother could love!

The Dung Beetle Knight is a mid-game-ish hunt-able monster that brings his ball of dung to the fight (and yes, you can end up inside). I haven't fought this guy yet.

The Lion God is a late game hunt-able monster. I haven't fought this guy yet but it is apparently one of the toughest fights around.

The Lonely Tree is the most complex build of all of these kits so far (more pieces than at least six or seven other expansions combined). You can't hunt it, but it can randomly show up in your fights with other monsters. Not happened to me yet.

The last hunt-able monster (well not quite, but two are also end bosses that will come up later) is the Flower Knight (left) who accepts no trespass into his garden. The Man Hunter (right) is another Nemesis who shows up just to hunt, well, you.

To be continued!

Doi

Slenderman (left) is an expansion I haven't used yet, but the story even that introduces him is called "He's already here" so I expect him to be nasty. The Lion Knight (2nd) (on the right) is another I haven't used yet but it seems he shows up and forces you to take part in his play with assigned roles (like The Fool etc).

The Sunstalker is both a hunt-able monster or the end boss for a special campaign. I haven't used him yet (I haven't beaten the standard campaign yet!)

The Dragon Tyrant only shows up in the special campaign with the Dragon King (who is hunt-able) as the final boss. Cleaning the mould lines off of his crest thing was a nightmare.

The Dragon King is the other half of the reason I used the Scale Grot. This walking nuclear reactor is massive.

Doi

And just for silverstu, the seed of a new army!

Doi

Those are some very pretty models. I blinked a bit when I saw you type you had spent over AUD$1000, but then I remembered that's about 50 after exchange rates.

Kidding aside, those are some very pretty models. How durable are they? Some of them look like they were a pain to assemble and even harder to keep unbroken.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Actually he said 1000 U.S. dollars. A little over 800 British Pounds. So that's the Kingdom Death I keep hearing about.
    Last edited by The Black Shield; 08-01-2017 at 20:15.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    Those are some very pretty models. I blinked a bit when I saw you type you had spent over AUD$1000, but then I remembered that's about 50 after exchange rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Shield View Post
    Actually he said 1000 U.S. dollars. A little over 800 British Pounds. So that's the Kingdom Death I keep hearing about.
    Yep, $1000 US which came to nearly $1400 AUD. Last kickstarter I spent $1200 US and we were at parity. Someone did the math for how long it would take in in-game years to complete all the content from just the new kickstarter stuff and it was ~240. It takes ~2+ hours for my group to play a lantern year so that is about 500 hours of play time assuming we don't die and have to start campaigns again! Add in build/paint time and I've easily got my moneys worth.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    Kidding aside, those are some very pretty models. How durable are they? Some of them look like they were a pain to assemble and even harder to keep unbroken.
    Durability is on par with GW stuff. We've knocked the lure off of The Gorm twice because other people in my group can't seem to fathom that you pick the model up from the torso and not the head but otherwise no damage. Most of the big models are easier to assemble than equivalent sized GW models but a few have had tricky parts. The legs on the spiderlings and the small dangly hair/appendages (?) on Spidicules body were a pain to put together because when you do one side you can apply pressure against the body from the other side, but when you do the second side you have to be careful not to apply pressure that will snap the legs. The individual hands that had to be glued onto the Phoenix were a pain because you would have situations like hand A fits in slot 1, hand B fits in slot 2, but hand C can fit in slots 1,2,3 and 4. The models don't come with instructions like GW ones but there guides online (but I've only needed them for the Phoenix hands and the tree).

I'm staring down the barrel of ~65-70 hour work weeks for the next twelve months (PhD, part-time work, internship) so I've gone and done something stupid and joined the Tale of Boardgame Painters for a KD model per month...

Doi

So not done much then..
    Those are some serious models from the Kingdom of Death- love the weirdness of those sculpts and can't wait to see what you do with them [after you get the Sylvaneth done obviously..:P].
    On the bright side of all that work you'll need something to keep you distracted so a Tale challenge is just the thing.. but did you sell a small child or something to be able to back that KS??

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast