Thread: BFG shoddily written?

Banned
    Maps used to say there were dragons here...

BFG shoddily written?

A friend made a passing comment the other day saying that Gothic is shoddily written?

Does anyone else feel this is the case?

Re: BFG shoddily written?

Well. Everything gw had written is shoddily.
    Thus BFG has its quirky passages as well but it's still better then average.

Wish it had a index.

Banned

shoddily written or more poorly organised would you say?

Banned

I'm still not sure about one of the set ups diagrams for the main fleet engagement scenario!

But it's not too bad. It's a game ideal for simplified rule sets.

It definitely has some problems. For example, I don't think the core rules ever explain in which order teleport attacks, damage control, boarding and other end phase stuff happens.

The actual boarding resolution could have done with an example, because the way table is organised can confuse readers as to the procedure.

And of course there is the issue of how GW couldn't even get through the 4 core book fleet lists without balance and rules cohesion problems...

But the actual game is a solid, fun experience. It may not hold up well to attempts to break it (few GW games do), but if you can enjoy it for what it is, it's one of their better games.
    Awesome. Awesome to the head.

Do you wish to Forge the narrative? Don't care about rules? Building and converting are your thing? One company's got you covered: LEGO

I've never thought it was shoddily written. Shoddily supported perhaps, but it seemed a quality product to me with solid rules. Sure there's a few holes, but far fewer than 40k. And the fluff writing style is better than what GW produces today.
    So long Old World, you had a good run.

Commander

I met Andy and had a chance to talk about BFG apparently it was never intended to be the final version.
    A second edition with balance between all fleets (rather than just IMP vs Chaos) and tighter rules was supposed to follow armada but then GW concluded that it made more sense to just make 40k...

I will say that BFG's rules don't compare so well to the new 3rd infinity rulebook

I wouldn't have said shoddy, but it does feel somewhat unfinished, like it has a few bugs from being the first edition. This is only to be expected, the old Rogue Traider rules were probably riddled with them. But it would have been really nice to see a second edition.

Brother Sergeant

It has a few bugs but it is not really that bad. Check out the fantasy battles and 40K GW produced at the time they were worse.

BFG was written to be simple and quick to run not massively complicated unlike certain editions of WFB and 40K

Commander

Dropfleet from hawk wargames is by Andy so it is something of a second edition BFG.

The a call to arms rules by mongoose publishing are clearly bfg version 2.

I think at its core there is so much simplicity to BFG that some of the shoddy edges come out. If the initial system was a mess then the rough edges get concealed under the weight of unnecessary complexity. Suffice to say any shoddyness does very little to detract from the core game being excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by GW 6 month financial report
    "This person will ensure we have a constant supply of retail store managers and trade recruiters and account developers"
    Sounds a bit like the black ships gathering souls.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Samsonov View Post
    I think at its core there is so much simplicity to BFG that some of the shoddy edges come out. If the initial system was a mess then the rough edges get concealed under the weight of unnecessary complexity. Suffice to say any shoddyness does very little to detract from the core game being excellent.
    Agreed. I dont think it is shoddily written per se, more slightly incoherent. It was being compared to Infinity at the time which is the new big thing and must be used to put other things down.

Yeah GW generally writes stuff and some of it is all over the place. I think BFG, Hulk and Epic were some of the better, more concise rule sets

Long time since I played it but I thought at the time it was an amazing game and nicely written. Be great if they bought it back.

Quote Originally Posted by horizon View Post
    Thus BFG has its quirky passages as well...
    Your space marine lance theory from that passage in Armada still hasn't come down from getting blown sky high by pretty much everything written by GW since.
    Draigo's Law: As an Grey Knight discussion grows longer, the probability of someone complaining about Matt Ward/Draigo/Bloodtide approaches 1.

Quote Originally Posted by BaronIveagh View Post
    Your space marine lance theory from that passage in Armada still hasn't come down from getting blown sky high by pretty much everything written by GW since.
    lol
    To much credit for me with that. (Since it was the HA itself who came with the 2010 idea/edition, I approved of that idea, yeah har har ).
    WARP RIFT - The Battlefleet Gothic online fanzine.
    Available for download here:
    http://www.tacticalwargames.net/arch...mag/index.html

GothiComp Hall of Fame

Horizon's New Blog