Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Warmachine and Hordes full rule books are now free

Chapter Master

Re: Warmachine and Hordes full rule books are now free

Ninja’ed. Was coming to post this! Also, there is a new balancing errata. Some control effects can now be shaken off, and some underused models got a nice buff.
    'Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is ajar'

Chapter Master

A 97 page rulebook for free. Very nice!

But I always thought their rules were already free?

Quote Originally Posted by Vazalaar View Post
    But I always thought their rules were already free?
    You get a quick start booklet in the Battle boxes and the rule cards for models are included when you buy those models, but the full core rules have not been free up until now.
    - But I don't want to go among mad people.

- You can't help that, we're all mad here...

Warhammer Armies: Fishmen!
    Fanatical elves, a Retribution of Scyrah paint log!

Chapter Master

Impressive, it makes the 'free' four pages of AoS rules even more silly. Brilliant move PP.

Presumably this was because they're seeing an influx of new players these days and want to further encourage that.

BTW: If you had the Quick Start rules and had bought at least one faction deck in WarRoom, you had essentially all the rules, since the reference section in WarRoom has just about everything not in the QS rules.

EDIT: Pretty hilarious from the Cygnar forum:

Duh, I don't like it so much. Nerfing Haley2 means that other OP stuff should be nerfed, and it doesn't look like it.

Also what the heck? Gorman close to useless, Denny2 feat totally useless against hordes moderately beast heavy (as if beasts needed more advantages)
    Last edited by Avian; 20-08-2015 at 17:59.
    As a long-time Goblin player, I can reliably inform you that failure is ALWAYS an option.

Painting Log - Circle Orboros - Warpwolves FTW!
    Terrain Log - Circle Orboros themed terrain for Hordes

Chapter Master

Yeah, some people like hyperboles with their whine.

Gorman useless? Ha!

Denny feat? Still crazy good against a lot of lists (I think that use heavily underestimates the “cost” to shake a beast heavy list. Fury management is a thing.

Interesting, thanks for the link.
    Any word of a possible MKIII that might have pushed them to release it for free ?

Chapter Master

I wouldn’t expect MkIII anytime soon. First, they stated they don’t want to do it (of course I expect it to happen – companies change their minds, designers quit/change position, and so on), second there is nothing indicating a new edition coming, and third, I doubt they’d have released an errata if a new edition was coming.

I’m guessing the rules being free is just them catching up with younger companies (and AoS). They’ve probably also reached a point where the rulebooks aren’t very profitable anymore and take space. They have enough books and products now that they don’t need the “publicity” from having physical books in LGS.

This and the All-in-Ones make it clear that PP is looking to grow it’s players base.

I wish they'd do a minor update to improve the morale and terrain rules, but otherwise I wouldn't say a new edition is needed.
    As a long-time Goblin player, I can reliably inform you that failure is ALWAYS an option.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Malagor View Post
    Interesting, thanks for the link.
    Any word of a possible MKIII that might have pushed them to release it for free ?
    Nope. This is somewhat closer to a 'Remix' which they did when they republished the Prime rulebooks with updates and revisions (and to consolidate the rules for new unit types into the main rules). They also did new cards at that point, which is a possibility.

But honestly... even that isn't quite necessary yet. It would be nice if they folded the battle engine and colossal rules into the free pdfs (I checked, they're not), but that would be the next logical step, long before a Mk III.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Awesome move on thier part.
    Are there really that many people dropping out of WH Fantasy?
    Amicably and didacticly yours, in the bowels of whomever, (-)(+)

One of the Chain-attack guys, who also runs Discountgames, claims so. And just the other day one guy from Oslo said that the tournament scene in Norway is seemingly migrating wholesale to WMH.

Yeah, 4 old fantasy players have been looking into Warmahorde here.
    They will still play fantasy but they figured that if they rather play a skirmish game that is good.

If your going to play a skirmish game you may as well play a well made one that caters to both competitive and friendly gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by cornonthecob View Post
    If your going to play a skirmish game you may as well play a well made one that caters to both competitive and friendly gamers.
    For sure... I think one of the hesitations ive been reading about is the perception that Warmahordes either has too many rules, or is too competitive.
    The biggest learning curve of the game, I thought, was wrapping your head around what all of your units do. I didnt realize that most abilities are not unique, but are peppered across the game in different factions. I thought that was pretty cool, once you know your army youve got a good head start on learning your opponents.

As for too competitive... I think part of that is because the rules are so concise. If you get a good handle on them, you can bend without breaking any, and spot all kinds of sneaky synergies and tactics.
    They really are wonderfully written for the most part, and allow for future changes to happen organically rather than writing entire new army books.
    Amicably and didacticly yours, in the bowels of whomever, (-)(+)

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Witchsight View Post
    For sure... I think one of the hesitations ive been reading about is the perception that Warmahordes either has too many rules, or is too competitive.
    The biggest learning curve of the game, I thought, was wrapping your head around what all of your units do. I didnt realize that most abilities are not unique, but are peppered across the game in different factions. I thought that was pretty cool, once you know your army youve got a good head start on learning your opponents.

As for too competitive... I think part of that is because the rules are so concise. If you get a good handle on them, you can bend without breaking any, and spot all kinds of sneaky synergies and tactics.
    They really are wonderfully written for the most part, and allow for future changes to happen organically rather than writing entire new army books.
    The "too competitive" aspect is a frequent complaint, but the truth is, PP really does a lot for non-standard, less competitive games. They have special scenarios in their magazine (NQ), tutorials for building scenery (including special, optional rules - like getting drnk when you go to the inn), bonding rules for campaigns, their own anrrative campaigns... the problem is that since they also support strongly the tournament aspect, some players tend to focus only on that, and it shows in some forums (comments like "If it hasn't been part of a winning tournament list, it's not worth it). So some players will not like their meta.

But at least the company caters to everyone. Their conversion, scenery building and painting guides are like the content of older WD.

And the rules are *generally* tight. You will still have questions, but they're generally clear.

Oh maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I'm trying to avoid getting sucked into this after seeing the Glacier King model! Now they go and do a free 97 page book. NUTS

Chapter Master

AND they buffed the also-amazing Mountain King model. Wink wink.

Quote Originally Posted by Vazalaar View Post
    Impressive, it makes the 'free' four pages of AoS rules even more silly. Brilliant move PP.
    Seems that PP was a little concerned about AoS and decided to take a page from GW's book...

Well, I own both already, but I like the idea of free rules.
    Warseer is filled with the largest community of whinging, self-entitled trolls in the GW sphere of influence. The shrieking noise level makes this place nearly unbearable anymore. I think I'll limit my visits from now on just to see the level of butt - hurt each time GW makes a good decision. It is ridiculous funny to come here and see how people get things so wrong when trying to state their opinions as fact.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast