Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Warmachine and Hordes full rule books are now free

Chapter Master

Re: Warmachine and Hordes full rule books are now free

I doubt there were concerned. It does help get on board those who find themselves looking for a new game.

Yeah, I think it's more that they don't want all the ex GW players moving to KoW or whatnot.
    As a long-time Goblin player, I can reliably inform you that failure is ALWAYS an option.

Painting Log - Circle Orboros - Warpwolves FTW!
    Terrain Log - Circle Orboros themed terrain for Hordes

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    Seems that PP was a little concerned about AoS and decided to take a page from GW's book...

Well, I own both already, but I like the idea of free rules.
    Doubtful. They are pretty much polar opposites, design-wise. It would be like Real Housewives reacting to something related to Game of Thrones.

Not the same audience.
    'Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is ajar'

Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    Seems that PP was a little concerned about AoS and decided to take a page from GW's book...

Well, I own both already, but I like the idea of free rules.
    More likely they realised that there will probably be a lot of disgruntled WHFB players looking for new games, and providing free rules makes it much easier to recruit potential new players.
    I'm pretty sure they've seen upswings in their sales every time GW has released a new edition of one of their core games, I know that the WM/H community in Sweden grew very fast after WHFB 8th and 40k 6th were released for example.
    - But I don't want to go among mad people.

- You can't help that, we're all mad here...

Warhammer Armies: Fishmen!
    Fanatical elves, a Retribution of Scyrah paint log!

Quote Originally Posted by Sephillion View Post
    the problem is that since they also support strongly the tournament aspect, some players tend to focus only on that, and it shows in some forums (comments like "If it hasn't been part of a winning tournament list, it's not worth it). So some players will not like their meta.
    I agree with this. I would say its the community (not as a whole) online and at the local level that gives the image of "ultra competitive page 5!!!!!!". I have no love for that page...anyways, PP does quite a lot and honestly does it well offering to the highly competitive players and the more narrative players. It's just some times the players more focused on the competition side tend to be the more vocal (not necessarily louder but more talkative).

As for the free rules? I don't think its them sitting in an office twiddling fingers, snickering the dark about snagging up disgruntled players or trying to block the exodus to other systems as it is they realize the current miniature war gaming climate is "free rules" approach.

Especially when you see the big name in miniatures switching to it. Now the end result most likely is player growth but that's more a symptom and not the cause.

Now Battle College can show the data.

Or not, since its just the core rules not the army books.

BOO!
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; 31-08-2015 at 23:21.
    Trying to figure out how to play 9th Age with round bases...

I think the ideas about competitive players being horrible people that abuse the rules are a little unfounded, at least when it comes to WM & H. I have no doubt they are out there, but some of the most sporting people I've played have been in WM & H tournaments.

What the internet says and does rarely reflects the reality of things on the smaller scale.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    I think the ideas about competitive players being horrible people that abuse the rules are a little unfounded, at least when it comes to WM & H. I have no doubt they are out there, but some of the most sporting people I've played have been in WM & H tournaments.

What the internet says and does rarely reflects the reality of things on the smaller scale.
    Being competitive isn't necessarily a problem, it is when the desire to win exceeds a person's ability/desire to be a good sport that a problem occurs. That's what Page 5 is all about. Be a good player, opponent, and sport, but by no means be a jerk about it. Be competitive so that your opponent has a good game and wants to play again, but no so obnoxious that they won't play you again. Being handed a game is as insulting as dancing on the "grave" of their miniatures.
    Last edited by Charistoph; 05-09-2015 at 00:15.
    Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote Originally Posted by Megavolt
    They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Well these free rules persuaded me to give Warmachine a try. After reading through the rules I've ordered the Cygnar and Cryx battle group boxes.

First non GW models I've ordered, which weren't prebuilt and painted (x-wing).
    Oh Pyrovore, you're like the Eeyore of 40K

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    Being competitive isn't necessarily a problem, it is when the desire to win exceeds a person's ability/desire to be a good sport that a problem occurs. That's what Page 5 is all about. Be a good player, opponent, and sport, but by no means be a jerk about it. Be competitive so that your opponent has a good game and wants to play again, but no so obnoxious that they won't play you again. Being handed a game is as insulting as dancing on the "grave" of their miniatures.
    Exactly. Years ago at our FLGS we had 3 players who played like some on the PP general discussion board (the topics mostly regarding casual vs. competitive) who proclaimed Warmahordes is strictly a competitive minded pg. 5 type of game while forgetting the part about not being a jerk. Not the part about having a good game mind you. I left playing there for 2 years or so only to come back and find that the Warmahordes community here got shattered from their mentality which I would say is and was not in the spirit of the game. I haven't seen one of them in the store in a long time now.

The vast majority of players I've played with are great people who play to win regardless of lists brought to the table. Sure the game itself is competitive (just as much as Warhammer Fantasy 8th was or Infinity or Malifaux or Chess) but the point of playing the game is to win and have fun.

The Warmachine "Page 5" attitude is just to go in expecting other players to be there to win just like you, to make the best choices they can, just like you, and that if you lose its your fault, get better, don't complain that its the game or something they did. Essentially everyone has the tools to beat everyone else, and if they don't use them its the player's choice, not a fault of the game. I mean its a game of dice so there's some randomness but dice games are about using sense in making decisions without all the information available.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; 07-09-2015 at 23:20.
    Trying to figure out how to play 9th Age with round bases...

I do stand by the original statement, even if it could have been worded a little more clearly. My point was that the competitive players out there that are a problem are those who are unsporting about it (the term for this was 'WAAC' last time I checked, though I cut to the heart of it and call them obnoxious turds ).

It is interesting though that so many people have leapt to the defense of Page 5, when I never accused it of being a problem.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Chapter Master

It is interesting though that so many people have leapt to the defense of Page 5, when I never accused it of being a problem.
    No, but it’s easily misconstrued by both detractors (who use it to show the game is for WAAC players) and by some people who use it to justify their WAAC attitude, as well as by others who use it to hand-waive balance issues (“it’s never the models, read page 5, play like you got a pair” – ignoring that some models ARE indeed imbalanced, a fact even acknowledged by PP).

All in all, I think the Mk2 page 5 is a good example as to what you can expect from PUGs, but it shouldn’t mean that you cannot play in a more fluffy or hobby focused manner. Once you place your models against a random opponent, you should expect him to do his best to try and win, and use the models to this end.
    'Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is ajar'

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Poncho160 View Post
    Well these free rules persuaded me to give Warmachine a try. After reading through the rules I've ordered the Cygnar and Cryx battle group boxes.

First non GW models I've ordered, which weren't prebuilt and painted (x-wing).
    Very cool. Two very different play styles, which will give you variety. If you play the two boxes against one another with a friend, Cryx will almost always win. However, they will start to even out at 15 and 25 points. I play Cygnar and love the lightening and gunfighter themes.

Have fun

That's pretty sweet. I floundered a little in my first attempt to learn WMH, but this might just give me the prod to the buttocks to try again, as I do like an awful lot of what they have to offer.
    Get off of my lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by rhoxie View Post
    If you play the two boxes against one another with a friend, Cryx will almost always win.
    One contributing reason for this is that the Cryx box consists of 14 points of models whereas the Cygnar box (and most other battleboxes) is only 11 points. If you remove a Deathripper from the Cryx set it will be 10 pts and make for a fairer game.
    - But I don't want to go among mad people.

- You can't help that, we're all mad here...

Warhammer Armies: Fishmen!
    Fanatical elves, a Retribution of Scyrah paint log!

I do stand by the original statement, even if it could have been worded a little more clearly. My point was that the competitive players out there that are a problem are those who are unsporting about it (the term for this was 'WAAC' last time I checked, though I cut to the heart of it and call them obnoxious turds ).

I completely agree with your point. As for page 5 I agree with Sephillion. Page 5 I believe is page with ultimately good intentions but due to the range of the human condition is malleable to wide range of interpretations.

Awesome.

Just starting Warmachine & Hordes and felt the Quick-Start rules were a little too anaemic to give me a good idea if I liked the game-play or not. This is epic. Between W&H, Infinity, AoS/owning 8th and I already own the 40K I can have a wide range of wargaming tastes met on a really tight budget.
    An Inquisitor walks into a bar, =][= Post removed by the authority of the Inquisition =][=

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2