Thread: Thinking of Warmachine/Hordes.

Librarian

Thinking of Warmachine/Hordes.

As title really.

A friend and I have been discussing starting to play either Firestorm Armada or Warmachines. Likely both; but we figured one game system at a time.

I'm interested in Cryx, he's thinking Protectorate.

I might need help with a shopping list.
    Is there a way for us to nab a deal somewhere for a starter kit for both factions? Or is it just buy our individual stuffs? I was eyeing up the Starter set, but I really don't like Khador looks ;p

If its invididual purchases
    The Cryx book is likely going to be involved.
    Is the battlegroup necessary? The reason I'm asking is that of all the aesthetics in Warmachine, I really hate the look of the flat armour plating found in those battlegroups- its what turned me off to Warmachine years ago. Can I work on a list without them? The only warjackls I like visually are the canker worms...

What kinda of kits would work well with Iron Lich Asphyxious?

You don't need the battle boxes, and you certainly don't need the Cryx book, as all the unit rules are in the boxes you buy. Cryx is one of the factions that don't usually field a lot of warjacks, though the first one you take will be heavily discounted due to your caster's warjack points, and you will be fielding at least one. I hear their character warjacks are good, but I haven't really played Cryx a lot.

I would recommend getting the All-in-one 35 pt box if you can find it, as it's heavily discounted, and apparently contains a lot of useful stuff.

I can also recommend reading up on BattleCollege.

EDIT: It seems that Cankerworm (it's a unique character warjack) has an affinity with Asphyxius, so you should be safe with it.
    Last edited by Avian; 10-09-2015 at 20:57.
    As a long-time Goblin player, I can reliably inform you that failure is ALWAYS an option.

Painting Log - Circle Orboros - Warpwolves FTW!
    Terrain Log - Circle Orboros themed terrain for Hordes

Librarian

Re: Thinking of Warmachine/Hordes.

Quote Originally Posted by Avian View Post
    You don't need the battle boxes, and you certainly don't need the Cryx book, as all the unit rules are in the boxes you buy. Cryx is one of the factions that don't usually field a lot of warjacks, though the first one you take will be heavily discounted due to your caster's warjack points, and you will be fielding at least one. I hear their character warjacks are good, but I haven't really played Cryx a lot.

I would recommend getting the All-in-one 35 pt box if you can find it, as it's heavily discounted, and apparently contains a lot of useful stuff.

I can also recommend reading up on BattleCollege.
    The all in one box, are those the battle groups? Or the slightly more expensive packs? The bigger boxes seem to be sold out everywhere..

I'll head t obattlecollege now.

That's a bigger box with 35 pts of stuff. The battlegroup ones are 10 to 15 pts.
    As a long-time Goblin player, I can reliably inform you that failure is ALWAYS an option.

Painting Log - Circle Orboros - Warpwolves FTW!
    Terrain Log - Circle Orboros themed terrain for Hordes

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Avian View Post
    That's a bigger box with 35 pts of stuff. The battlegroup ones are 10 to 15 pts.
    Thanks. I've had a look and they seem to be trickys to find, at least for Cryx. I'll keep looking.

On the other hand, is the 2 player starter worth taking?
    I'm primarily thinking for my friend, if he buys it for the Protectorate, is there much chance of flogging the Khador stuff at a moderate price
    Is it a well rounded for for him to start with, and if so ; what would I need to get to bring my Cryx force up to speed?

Chapter Master

The 2 player starter can have problems for Menoth because Cinerators are not used very much at all. Kreoss is a good starter caster, the Vanquisher will probably see the most use out of the jacks, but as core components he will keep using it's not ideal.

Things that are core to most standard Menoth lists:

Reckoner warjack - one of the best jacks for points cost in the game.
    Choir - he will need these for 90% of Menoth lists
    Exemplar Errants and their unit attachment - these guys see play in a lot of lists.
    Vassal of Menoth - because Menoth do use jacks a lot having this guy to give jacks more options is good. You'll see one or two in jack heavy lists.

Chapter Master

Cryx was my first army. Welcome to the Nightmare Empire.

You won’t need many jacks so if you don’t like their looks, don’t worry too much, you can easily concentrate on infantry.

If you or your friend can find a All-in-One for your respective army, they’re a really good deal, but sadly hard to find now.

First, you should decide which warcaster you want to play, he’ll be the center of your list. I also suggest going to Battle College; due to IP reasons you won’t find every bits of info (like actual stats) but you’ll find a description of how each play. Even if you don’t intend to play competitively, there are models that just don’t click together (trying to make an Infantry army with Mortenebra for instance) and Battle College should tell you enough about casters and units.

Most Cryx casters are spell slingers, so you can get away with Cankerworm (he’s a character jack, so you can have only one) and a Arc Node – so a Deathripper, Defiler, Nightwretch or Ripjaw. This will allow you to cast spells further away.

The official forums can be helpful, the Cryx forums in particular are not too much tournament-focused, so you should be able to find some help without being badgered with tournament-only considerations like other subforums. A few users in particular are very much helpful if you intend to play less “competitive” models like the Witch Coven or heavy warjacks.

Finally, buy the book only if you care about the lore or don’t have a smart phone/tablet, otherwise check the app, War Room; for a small fee you get rules and stats for an army models, and it gets updated. I don’t use it due to lack of tablet/phone, but I’m told it’s really useful, and cheap for what you get.
    'Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is ajar'

I have too just started Warmachine, after discovering that PP had released the rules for free on their website. After reading through the rules, which seem good, I have ordered two of the battle group box sets.

Looking forward to giving the game a try.

Battle College is a great website for explaining the game too.
    Oh Pyrovore, you're like the Eeyore of 40K

I have too just started Warmachine, after discovering that PP had released the rules for free on their website. After reading through the rules, which seem good, I have ordered two of the battle group box sets.

Looking forward to giving the game a try.

Battle College is a great website for explaining the game too.
    Oh Pyrovore, you're like the Eeyore of 40K

As others have stated Battle College is an amazing tool to help navigate what direction you want to go.

The All In One's are really solid for getting into the game. I have the Cryx box myself and if I find another one I'll hit you up. I'll check my local next time I go into town (Monday). The starter box is decent even though as stated cinerators aren't really used much due to better options but Kreoss1 is an effective and interesting enough caster to start with. The Cryx and Menoth forums are really great places to get help and advice for lists and future purchases. At this point in the system and starting at low points I'd look at getting a few units/casters/jacks that interest you and your friend personally just to get some games in and learning the rules via playing (use Battle College to get a rough idea on the viability and flexibility of models so you don't end up with purchases you might end up regretting).

keravin's recommendations are pretty staple for Menoth. You can't go wrong really with what was recommended.

War Room App is also a great deal and I recommend to everyone because it's very affordable and allows you to see all the units accessible by your force and those you can come up against. If you or your friend have a list of questions go ahead and shoot me a message and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability (tied up with work at the moment doing some sprites and location drafting) as I play Cryx and Menoth (as well as Cephalyx/Circle/Skorne/Blindwater).

Glad to see you, your friend and Poncho jumping into Warmahordes and hope you guys have as much of a blast with the game as I do!

Librarian

Thanks for the advice!
    Last night I think we settled on Firestorm Armada. (Something about spaceships sealed the deal)
    Although to be fair, as I have a birthday coming up, I might ask for a few Cryx or the book then start working on a small list..

I'll check out Battlecollege and the PP forums!

I did downmload the App, but hadn't a clue what to do with it. lol