Thread: where do go next in the fluff

where do go next in the fluff

Hi, I have just got into Warmachine and like so many people knowing the background and the fluff for a wargame is a big part of the enjoyment. I have read the fluff that comes in both rule books, but need some advice on where to go next.

I have noticed that there are a number of books that seem to detail ongoing events, these are vengenance, reckoning ect.

three questions,

1. Are these books background / fluff books?
    2. What do they generally include?
    3. Is the warnachine universe an ongoinng one, with an ongoing storyline?

Cheers
    Oh Pyrovore, you're like the Eeyore of 40K

Re: where do go next in the fluff

Yes, there is an ongoing storyline, which is mostly featured in the books. It is unfolding fairly slowly. The books also feature rules and background for the new models, painting guides, scenarios and whatnot.

Personally I have not bought any of them, but I've been borrinw the books from a friend to read the background. I bought the Circle and Minion decks in War Room for $15 or thereabouts (giving me all the rules for everything in those two factions, updated for free in perpetuity), and with the free rulebook I don't need anything else.
    As a long-time Goblin player, I can reliably inform you that failure is ALWAYS an option.

Painting Log - Circle Orboros - Warpwolves FTW!
    Terrain Log - Circle Orboros themed terrain for Hordes

What is this war room? ☺

Your terrain blog is cool as well Avian.
    Oh Pyrovore, you're like the Eeyore of 40K

Thanks! I shall update it again soonish.

War Room is an app for tablets and smart phones. It has digital copies of the card decks that you can purchase, an army builder, damage tracker for use during games, and a rules reference section. Highly recommended.
    As a long-time Goblin player, I can reliably inform you that failure is ALWAYS an option.

Painting Log - Circle Orboros - Warpwolves FTW!
    Terrain Log - Circle Orboros themed terrain for Hordes

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Poncho160 View Post
    Hi, I have just got into Warmachine and like so many people knowing the background and the fluff for a wargame is a big part of the enjoyment. I have read the fluff that comes in both rule books, but need some advice on where to go next.

I have noticed that there are a number of books that seem to detail ongoing events, these are vengenance, reckoning ect.

three questions,

1. Are these books background / fluff books?
    2. What do they generally include?
    3. Is the warnachine universe an ongoinng one, with an ongoing storyline?
    1. Partly. They also sum up the cards for about a years worth of releases (on average the 6 months before and after the book comes out). Roughly. The big thing recently is the most recent book (Reckoning) was significantly lighter on story than the books have been (the faction story sections were each a page rather than ~5 pages each. I was a bit disappointed and hope that doesn't happen again.
    2. Story and background, cards in slightly different format, and theme forces. Also limited painting guides and pictures. And lots of art.
    3. Very much yes.

There is also a growing fiction line, which is ebook heavy, but physical copies are happening. Saw Into the Storm today. You can get them off the Skull Island Expeditions site, but... personally I tend not to buy from small dedicated sites (one more online account's security to worry about).
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Chapter Master Bingo the Fun Monkey's Avatar

I'd like to add that Warroom is now in a very polished state compared to where it used to be. All the theme forces' effects are accurately and intuitively integrated into the ui, so I will echo Avian's recommendation. If you have a single competitive bone in your body, and you can afford it off the bat, I would just get all the decks for all the factions. You will then have all the rules updated in perpetuity.

On topic. One avenue to explore is Gods Kings and Nations for some more fluff. Borrowing your friend's books would be the best way to pick up on the fluff. Also, on the privateer press forums, there are a number of posts within which one Doug Seacat talks in depth on a range of topics suck as the nature off the cosmos etc. Welcome to an awesome game.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

Land of the sheep, and no not New Zealand

As said above Privateer press have their own version of Black Library called Skull Island X.

I got a number of books when I backed the kickstarter for the pc game and have bought a number of other books since they're relatively inexpensive and I've enjoyed the 'into' series which follows a unit of Cygnar Storm blades called the Malcontents.

I provided a link below
    link
    Last edited by Private_SeeD; 09-12-2016 at 10:32.
    "Mia clementia, denar esto" - "Have mercy. I was blind, but now I can see"
    A can of Inferno Relentless a day, keeps the doctor at bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Turalyon View Post
    The Descent of Angels would be good if titled "Cyphers favorite childhood memories"
    Quote Originally Posted by Vote Kantor View Post
    You are all forgetting the two unknown primarchs, chuck norris and santa