Thread: Help me learn infinity!

Help me learn infinity!

I bought the ice storm set and the quick start rules left me with many questions, so I downloaded the full rules, which didn't seem to help much.

Anyone who can help (ideally with a page reference so I can find the rule where appropriate) please pitch in.

1) I can only have one model with the lieutenant rule in my army, but if they're killed I need to appoint a new one. Who can be my new lieutenant?
    2) Can I move out of base contact with the enemy? I know I can move in, and I know I can dodge out if I am the reactive player. I can't see a rule saying I can't move out, or even move in and then out as part of the same order...
    3) Apparently shooting and ARO shooting can be resolved at any range in the active player's model's move or moves (?). But I can't do ARO shooting if in base contact when the order was activated. I think my model can ARO shoot at a guy when he moves into base contact with it, but not when he moves out?
    3b) edit. Come to think of it I can only shoot when 'not in base contact during the activation phase of the order' (p33) so I can't order a model to move out of base contact then shoot, only the other way around?
    4) There are penalties for shooting at a guy in base contact with one of my friendlies. Do these apply if I'm ARO shooting at him and he moves into base contact?

I'll have more questions when I've made it further into the book, but at this point I don't understand the basics.

On the plus side I've filed off the tabs and the models look cool on MDP bases.
    Last edited by de Selby; 15-09-2015 at 07:11.

Re: Help me learn infinity!

1) Basically anybody. Except:
    Quote Originally Posted by InfinityWiki
    Troops with the Irregular Characteristic or the REM Troop Type on their Troop Profile cannot be appointed as Lieutenant.
    2)To leave base contact, you have to dodge.
    While in Close Combat, in addition to evading Attacks, Dodge allows the user to Disengage from CC. If the attempt is successful, in the Active Turn, separate the user from his opponent one millimeter, so that their bases are no longer in contact. In the Reactive Turn, Dodge also allows to Move up to 2 inches.
    3)Yes. If you can see the opponents model moving into BtB with your trooper, you have the option to shoot him as he moves in (this is a FtF-Roll against e.g. Close Combat). But in BtB you can't declare shoot.
    3b)You can't just move out of BtB, so no.
    4) The text says:
    If a trooper declares a BS Attack against an enemy in base to base contact with an ally,...
    So I don't think you apply the -6 as he's moving in, only if he starts his activation in BtB with a friendly model.

I hope that helps . Look up http://wiki.infinitythegame.com/en/Main_Page for the official wiki!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmann View Post
    2)To leave base contact, you have to dodge.
    I finally found this on p55, cheers.

Just to be clear, on p33 it says to make a BS attack I must "Not be in base to base contact with any enemies during the Activation phase of that Order."

p31 has "Activation" as step one of the order, before moving. However...

p10 says "In order to declare a BS Attack, the trooper must have Line of Fire to his target and must not be in base to base contact with an enemy."

p31 has ARO declaration as step 4, second skill declaration as step 5, both of which come after first skill movement (declaration and moving into base contact), so two models that end up in close combat after first skill movement can't shoot each other.

However (again)

p34 (and the wiki) says "If a trooper declares a BS Attack against an enemy in base to base contact with an ally, he applies a -6 MOD to his BS for each ally in that Close Combat (this is in addition to all other MODs for Range, Cover, CH: Camouflage, etc.). "

which suggests I do get the benefit against ARO shooting (declared after movement) from other enemies if I can move into base contact (although seemingly they can still measure range to where I started the move, if they want)?.

Off the cuff, I think that p33 is refining what is said on p10, as that page is part of the "introductory game" rules. So the relevant text is on p33, and not on p10.

So if the active player activates a model, declares a move into BtB, your ARO-options include shoot for everybody that can see (without a -6 MOD, as the active model did not start it's activation in BtB).
    At least that's how I interpret it The sidebar on p41 explicitly mentions shoot as an ARO when charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmann View Post
    The sidebar on p41 explicitly mentions shoot as an ARO when charged.
    Aha, that does imply that we should ignore the condition on p10. Which also means I can move and shoot the guy I move into contact with?

Actually if we assume that all references to BtB contact such as p10 and p34 actually mean 'during activation' not 'during declaration' then that would also mean there's no -6 MOD for ARO shooting a guy who moves into BtB, as you say.

No-one plays around here AFAIK, I will have to show anyone I want to play how the rules work so I have to get them right and know how to prove it. This is turning out a little trickier than I'd hoped

Thanks again.

You're welcome

We have never used the introductionary rules in my group, as we already played in N2, so this never actually came up with us. Maybe treating these starter rules as a seperate "game" works better.

Quote Originally Posted by de Selby View Post
    Aha, that does imply that we should ignore the condition on p10. Which also means I can move and shoot the guy I move into contact with?

Actually if we assume that all references to BtB contact such as p10 and p34 actually mean 'during activation' not 'during declaration' then that would also mean there's no -6 MOD for ARO shooting a guy who moves into BtB, as you say.

No-one plays around here AFAIK, I will have to show anyone I want to play how the rules work so I have to get them right and know how to prove it. This is turning out a little trickier than I'd hoped

Thanks again.
    Yes you are right, on the order you move into base to base and become engaged, you can declare BS attack against the guy you move into contact with. (You can even pick a different model to be the target of the BS attack, or split your bust among multiple targets)

Thanks. I've painted the models but this has gone on the back burner, I've had trouble convincing people to play. Currently doing Frostgrave. I'll probably be back with more questions at some point.

No problem mate, keep at it as its a great game/system. Haven't heard of Frostgrave ill have to look that up.

Frostgrave is a simple wizard-centric skirmish game that you can probably play if you have any fantasy miniatures at all (eg a warhammer army). We're having fun with it.

Back on Infinity, does anyone happen to know the base size that Nomad Geckos come on? Before I buy I am looking around for scenic bases to match the ones I have.

Gekos are S6 so go on a 40mm base. if you need sci-fi for your nomads i'll put in a shameless plus for these ones

40mm Sci-Fi Bases

Hah, I would go for those except I am currently in the us. Thanks for info though.

No worries, hope you get a chance to play soon. Let us know how it goes and ask anything you like in the mean time.

Hoping this adds some clarity to the "move into BtB and then shoot" issue. In Infinity, you aren't moving then shooting, these things are considered to happen simultaneously, it's just that, for game mechanics purposes, they are two different actions under the same order. You can declare your Shoot action from any point along the line which the model Moved. So, you can declare that you shoot before you are in BtB. It's a bit of a brain pretzel maker, but that's the reasoning there.
    This is a link to the Forum Rules.----------
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannimarco View Post
    Arrogant egotistical insane sadomasochists do not make good team players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    Loth loves GW. Irisado loves Chaos Eldars. Wintermute loves Firefly. Three simple truths of the Wastes.

I really like what I've played so far of this game, but it really feels *almost* unnecessarily complicated...

Also worth remembering, the rules for Infinity as a TT skirmish game were adapted from a home-brew RPG into squad based shenanigans. It still feels RPG esque in some of the mechanics and the way the rules are meant to interact.
    This is a link to the Forum Rules.----------
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannimarco View Post
    Arrogant egotistical insane sadomasochists do not make good team players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    Loth loves GW. Irisado loves Chaos Eldars. Wintermute loves Firefly. Three simple truths of the Wastes.