Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Burning passion - TBO does flaming wood elves

The lands of the nether, where the dutch roam free in the fields of Holland

Burning passion - TBO does flaming wood elves

Yes you read that title right - assuming you read it, and not just click by accident - I am building an army of wood elves, with the theme being FIRE.

Me and a friend wanted to win a Best Painted Army award on a team tournament for ages, but we always seem to narrowly miss. So last year we thought 'let's go nuts' and build 2 small armies concurrently for our gaming club's upcoming doubles-tournament, and go over the top to try and snatch the prize. So on the one hand we have a lava-themed lizardmen army entirely in non-metallic-metal, and on my side of the fence we have wood elves who are ON FIRE.

Of course, we've had the idea since this time last year, and started back then, so now we only need to finish about 75% of both armies for november 15th So.. check back regularly for progress, because if there isn't any, we're screwed.

The wood elf army isn't particularly huge; A waystalker, 16 glade guard, 12 dryads, 8 wildriders and a treeman. The glade guard will all be using the magic flaming bows from the sisters of avelorn kit, the dryads will have burning branches and the like, the wildrider champion's mount's antlere are ON FIRE and the treeman will be burning here and there as well, while he is swinging a giant flaming censer (courtesy of the skaven plague furnace).

Let's kick this off with a teaser
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	330.5 KB 
ID:	221251Click image for larger version. 

Views:	309 
Size:	263.3 KB 
ID:	221252
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dan View Post
    TBO is the only person I know who can take an absurdly oversized and expensive model, give him bright purple armor and a turquoise codpiece, and leave me feeling like I have to have one.
    Painting logs: - Dwarfs -Lizardmen -Skaven -Beastmen -Tau -NMM knights of the white wolf - Commissions - BURNING WOOD ELVES (also NMM)
    ---> Newest: 15-11-2015; Flaming wood elves (burning treemen and dryads etc) - army complete! ---> New: 18-5-2014; 2 prizes at Throne of Skulls!!!!!

Re: Burning passion - TBO does flaming wood elves

Of course it will be quite scary seeing a burning forest walking towards you and intent on killing you, so not a bad theme to choose very good looking paintjob as well! I'm burning with curiosity to see the rest

Well, consider me thoroughly teased.

Some new pics! Photo pics for now because I'm working from mobile, but I'll get some camera pictures soon,

The army's general; a waystalker made using sister of avelorn bitz and a glade guard bow. Little easter egg on the cloak

Views:	344 
Size:	381.3 KB 
ID:	221267Click image for larger version. 

Views:	251 
Size:	364.9 KB 
ID:	221268

Another view of the wild rider champion

Views:	219 
Size:	333.7 KB 
ID:	221269

And here's a couple of the glade guard

Views:	297 
Size:	428.5 KB 
ID:	221270
    TBO is the only person I know who can take an absurdly oversized and expensive model, give him bright purple armor and a turquoise codpiece, and leave me feeling like I have to have one.
    Painting logs: - Dwarfs -Lizardmen -Skaven -Beastmen -Tau -NMM knights of the white wolf - Commissions - BURNING WOOD ELVES (also NMM)
    ---> Newest: 15-11-2015; Flaming wood elves (burning treemen and dryads etc) - army complete! ---> New: 18-5-2014; 2 prizes at Throne of Skulls!!!!!

You're a crazy person TBO! But what a cool idea!

Fantastic work and a great theme. I adore the general and her base.

Very cool*. How come the leader didn't get a flaming bow?

* Or, well, not.

Doi

Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Very cool*. How come the leader didn't get a flaming bow?

* Or, well, not.

Doi
    Oh no, the puns!

The waystalker has a regular bow because she has a magic weapon - the Bow of Loren. Plus I didn't have enough flaming bow bits

This project is heating up already.

Too cool! er..I mean, smokin' hot!!

At this rate I'm screwed

Tiny update; I did some work on the glade guard banner bearer; she's nearly finished.

And I did a simple conversion in order to make a female wild rider. That unit is such a boys' club compared to the rest of the army and could use a little feminine energy Also I wanted to try out greenstuff again, starting with a relatively simple task. I think it turned out quite smoothly - including the helmet conversion (I mean for crying out loud she's the musician, how else is she gonna play that instrument if her mouth is covered)

Views:	54 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	221742
    Last edited by The bearded one; 26-10-2015 at 06:45.

Sweet conversion -- the tilted helmet is a nice detail that really brings the model to life. Sort of reminds me of a Greek Corinthian-style helmet when it's propped up like that.

And I love how you just busted out some NMM on the standard bearer's sword. No big deal.

Cool colour scheme and I like the fire theme, there can't be many on fire wood elves out there.

Work in progress

Name:	DSC06894.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	221876

looking nice, can't wait to see your army on november the 15th

Quote Originally Posted by furrie View Post
    looking nice, can't wait to see your army on november the 15th
    Haha, me neither! And we're keeping most of this project under wraps from the rest of our gaming club, so we will unveil our armies in their entirity for the first time at the tournament.

I had some hair left from the wildrider kit so decided to add some to a few of the dryads as well. I quite like the effect and the way the dryads are assembled means those bits can fit quite snuggly at the back of their heads.
    Last edited by The bearded one; 04-11-2015 at 03:17.

Looking promising. Hehe, so I weren't the only one thinking of painting elves with flames and non metallic metal. Would be cool if you could post some more close ups of the fire effects.
    My Blood Bowl Plog: Blood Sweat and Bloodbowl

Looks hot!

I really think it's a great take on wood elves, innovative too.
    Broterhood of the Shattered Spear - Heresy-Era White Scars of the 189. Explorator-Fleet!

Heroes of Armageddon - Unwanted paints 21 different Chapters for fun and profit (No actual profit involved)

Unwanted Forays into Mordheim! Orcs in da ruins!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast