Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zogoth's try at Bolt Action.

Zogoth's try at Bolt Action.

Time to try something new.

I have been into the tabletop-gaming since the days of Rouge trader, and mainly WHFB since the release of 4th edition. I really liked the universe and atmosphere in the old world, so I never really looked for anything else, even though I have a few blood bowl teams and a couple of armies for warmaster as well.

But, now, with the destruction of the world I liked, I've been looking at alternatives, and being interested in history, I'm jumping into that ocean of possibilities.

I ended up with Bolt Action, since I don't need a huge amount of miniatures, quick gameplay from what I've understood and not the least an enormous number of different campaigns/theatres and so on to choose from.

So what “fraction” should I start with?
    As my situation is at the moment, I'm actually aiming to paint forces for both sides of a conflict, as that will make my gaming opportunities much higher. I have a couple of friends who most likely would enjoy an evening of a few games and beers, but who isn't really interested enough to buy and paint models.
    I have always been fascinated by the war in northafrica, two opponents with a distinct appearance, colourful commanders and so on. So northafrica it is, mid/late part mainly for the possibility to include a tiger tank in the future.

So here are my first models. As a long-time WHFB player, my first purchases quite naturally became a tank for each side.

For my allied side, I'm going with the British, the choice fell on an M3 Grant, based on not much other than looks, I like the “odd” look of it.

There is still a bit left to do, but let's say that it's 90% done at least. Surprisingly fun to paint the camouflage.

And in the opposing corner, Lt. Grüber und his little tank, a Panzer III ausf. L.
    This model is just basecoated more or less, but I'll put it in just to flesh this post out a bit.

Lt. Grüber.

Und his little tank.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 14:10. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Re: Zogoth's try at Bolt Action.

Allo, Allo!

II saw the Grant and thought you were going to go with an Operation: Torch theme at first.

Good start so far!
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Chapter Master

Both tanks are very well painted!

Quote Originally Posted by mrtn View Post
    Nice!
    Are you going with the Perry models for the infantry?
    Thanks!
    Yeah, that is the plan, and I have a couple of boxes on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
    Allo, Allo!

II saw the Grant and thought you were going to go with an Operation: Torch theme at first.

Good start so far!
    Thank you!
    Well, it's still a possibility, but for me, my personal “feel” for the Operation: Torch is that, that was a more American affair, with Patton, Shermans and jeeps. And I really like the more “funky-looking” British Grants, Churchills and Vickers light tanks and so on of Monty's troops.
    I'll save the Americans for when I get around to Operation: Overlord.

Quote Originally Posted by Vazalaar View Post
    Both tanks are very well painted!
    Thanks! This historical painting thing brings a whole lot of new challenges, to at least get them to pass as possibly somewhat right from an historical perspective.

welcome to the war sir

Welcome to the land of real wargaming.

Excellent painting on the Lee. North Africa allows some interesting expansion forces (British Indian troops, Italians, Local partisians/bandits)

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Quote Originally Posted by williamsond View Post
    welcome to the war sir
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Kisanis View Post
    Welcome to the land of real wargaming.

Excellent painting on the Lee. North Africa allows some interesting expansion forces (British Indian troops, Italians, Local partisians/bandits)

Thanks! I must admit that I already are peeking a bit at some Italians, in their fashionable sun-hats.

My tanks are slowly getting to the point where they can be called finished. Grüber's little tank is more or less finished and the Grant is waiting for its missing turret-hatch to arrive.
    I might give them a bit weathering most likely, but that is a totally unchartered waters for me and I think I need to figure out the basing first.
    And speaking of basing, I'm a bit un-decided weather if I should base my tanks or leave them as is.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 14:12. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

I personally dont like basing my vehicles. I think that it can get in the way with the table.

I also share your feelings with vehicle weathering. That is its own skill that I will desperately need to hone.

Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

I base mine I just like it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10405255_490471214427485_8467522288159778435_n.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	221581

Definitely like how it looks, I just dont like how it plays.

To each their own.

Yay, historical wargaming! Best thing about it is that if you've got the minis you can use pretty much any set of rules out there.
    (of course that goes for fantasy/sci-fi as well)

That's an interesting camo pattern on the M3. Where did you find it? Either way, the execution is really, really nice. Looking forward to how you do the actual core forces, the infantry platoons. I'm doing North Africa as well (albeit a bit earlier than you seem to. No M3s for my poor brits yet ).

Quote Originally Posted by Kisanis View Post
    I personally dont like basing my vehicles. I think that it can get in the way with the table.

I also share your feelings with vehicle weathering. That is its own skill that I will desperately need to hone.
    I share that opinion, or at least I think I do, that's why I'm still undecided on the whole basing issue.

Looks good, no doubt about that, but yet again, it might get a little bit unpractical.

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Yay, historical wargaming! Best thing about it is that if you've got the minis you can use pretty much any set of rules out there.
    (of course that goes for fantasy/sci-fi as well)

That's an interesting camo pattern on the M3. Where did you find it? Either way, the execution is really, really nice. Looking forward to how you do the actual core forces, the infantry platoons. I'm doing North Africa as well (albeit a bit earlier than you seem to. No M3s for my poor brits yet ).
    I found the pattern online, pretty much the first pic to pop up in a google search is a tank like this. The one on the Bovington Tank museum is painted in this pattern. I think it is a variant of the “El-Alamein pattern”.
    I'm shooting for the second half of the Africa campaigns just so that I have the opportunity to include some fancy-pansy toys if I want to (most likely an german Tiger I).

I played my first games of BA this weekend and was pleasantly surprised even though I kind of had high expectations. So with a little bit bigger forces, a bit more terrain (and terrain made for the game itself) this might be a real boost for my gaming hobby. And it really hit off with one of my friends, who after playing 2 games sat down and ordered his first troops on the spot. And this is a guy who more or less gave up at least the hobby side of gaming a couple of years ago, gave away all his paints and hobby material and just kept his painted minis and his favourite terrain-pieces.

Lt. Grüber surveys the field, looking for a suitable target.

Airstrike!
    Not the most useful of my troop-choices, but I really loved WWII airplanes when I was a kid, and built a lot of models (sadly I also liked to build them with firecrackers inside so that I could blow them to pieces or to shoot at them with my air-rifle ), so I just had to have one and the Me-109 is such an iconic plane so it simply had to be done. It's still a few things to work on before it's finished.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 14:15. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

honestley I've based tanks for all my armies now germans brits and imperial japan. I pretty much just based every thing how i thought it looked good and I'#ve had no ingame problems as of yet. I'm not saying basing or not is better or worse but just that ingame its made no difference to me so far.

honestley I've based tanks for all my armies now germans brits and imperial japan. I pretty much just based every thing how i thought it looked good and I'#ve had no ingame problems as of yet. I'm not saying basing or not is better or worse but just that ingame its made no difference to me so far.
    For me it's more the eating and the keeping of the cake issue.

I think it looks good , but it also looks good when you put your un-based tanks on some nice terrain and it blends right in....

But it's never to late to base them if I decide to go that way.

I have more or less finished a couple of testminis for my forces, not much more to say about them at this point.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 14:18. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by mrtn View Post
    Looking nice! Maybe add some sunburn on later ones? They are, after all, in Africa.
    It's not as bad as it looks, had to use the flash when I took the pics so the colours are a bit washed out. The skin is actually cadian fleshtone, so they aren't as pale as they seem event though they aren't the colour of gingerbread-men.

Today the sun actually managed to show itself, so I took a couple of quick photos, which at least turned out somewhat decent.

Lets start with some british troops.
    First up my Grant, now with turret hatch.

Half of my first infantry squad more or less done, bases and some small touch-ups and they are done for now.

And some germans.
    Lt. Grüber's little PzIII

Some infantry support.

And air support as well.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 14:25. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Nice work. I especially like the Bf-109. Very evocative of the desert war.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast