Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zogoth's try at Bolt Action.

Re: Zogoth's try at Bolt Action.

Excellent work! I like your paint style!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Quote Originally Posted by ModernKiwi View Post
    Nice work. I especially like the Bf-109. Very evocative of the desert war.
    Thanks!
    As I said earlier, I'm a sucker for WW2 aircraft, so I simply couldn't pass on the possibility to include a couple. There will be at least one for the British as well, should really be a Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc tropical but it seems to be hard to find that, so I have a suspicion that a H. Hurricane Mk. I will have to do. It's not that likely to be used anyway since the FAO is free and does pretty much the same job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisanis View Post
    Excellent work! I like your paint style!
    Thank you!

This is pretty much how far I have come with my armies, apart from the tanks.
    My first unit of Germans, pretty much done, still have to do their gasmask canisters and such and the lips of the bases, but more or less done.

And my first unit from the British. Some bases still to do, but also more or less done.

My little anti-tank gun, also almost done, the gun sight is still to be painted and most fiddly of all, glued in place.
    I'm also pondering over the gun-shield, and if I should leave it as is or if I should give it a bit of the same camo as the Grant tank.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 14:30. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

I see that it's a long time since I updated here.
    And that's not due to not getting anything done, looking at my track-record for my fantasy stuff during the last years I've been really productive, but looking at the aforementioned record is pretty easy.
    And BA have really revived my gaming, in the last couple of months I've played more than I've done during the last 4 years in total.

I have more or less painted up what I got so far for my two forces to a TT standard at least. But every time I take a few photos I find things to touch up. And I know that I have most lips on the bases to sort out.

But enough of this, time for some pictures, I wish I could say pretty pictures, but living in Scandinavia and not having a steady supply of any kind of natural sunlight they are as the are.

First out are my British platoon

And its brave commander, leading the attacks armed with his trusted revolver...

These men are normally supported by the M3Grant, which has proven to be quite brutal in the games so far.
    My more direct plans for reinforcements are an MMG (have been using some other minis to proxy this in most games, and I really think you need at least one such iconic piece as an Vickers), a unit of more troops and another really iconic piece, an universal carrier, probably mainly as a recce vehicle.

And the opposition.
    All the games I've played so far has been with my models, my most frequent opponent has started doing the same with troops based around Guadalcanal, so I want to have two decently even matched forces.

FAO
    This chap is at the moment not so popular among his comrades, even though it's not really his fault that the two last air-strikes he has ordered in has been flow by “inexperienced” pilots, attacking his own forces...

And to round it of, a couple more pics of Lt. Grüber. How his poor fellow manages to stay away from the eastern front is beyond me, since he still have to experience how it feels to “remain in play “ at the end of a game.

For these guys my future plans include to finish my SdKfz234/2 puma model (you should support your local store when they at least try to do something new, shouldn't you) , which I use as a SdKfz234/1 at the moment. , and to add at least one MMG team.
    I'm also pondering around adding some kind of AT, such as a PAK 36 or 38.
    But there is so many must/want haves for the germans, such as the Tiger tank, the Marders and the motorcycle troops. And with the new theatre book looming on the horizon... who knows what that will bring into the mix.

As I stated earlier BA have made me play more than in a long time, but it has also made me do something I haven't done for at least 15 years, and that's to build terrain. So the change in game system has really been a good thing.
    Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 14:37. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Looking good!
    I've found that the new terrain I enjoy most (compared to my Warhammer background) is roads and obstacles (hedges in my case), these have a real use in BA, they're not just "pretty but useless" as in WFB.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtn View Post
    Looking good!
    I've found that the new terrain I enjoy most (compared to my Warhammer background) is roads and obstacles (hedges in my case), these have a real use in BA, they're not just "pretty but useless" as in WFB.
    Thanks, and I agree, it's much easier to get motivated to make terrain, since all terrain have a very specific use in the game, and not just there to block LoS and look pretty.

A small pic I took a while ago, to get this plog back on track again.
    I have a couple of more pieces done, but no pictures of them yet and with a move and new job looming in a near future it just may take a little longer than I hope.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 14:53. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Started to pack my stuff today, and took a last opportunity to take some pics and there was even some natural light available for a while, but not long enough for all of the photos off course.

Let's start with the Germans.
    Not that much new that haven't appeared here before, but never the less, here we go.

My whole DAK force, weighing in on just about 850 points as the stand today.

And the latest addition, an SdKfz234/2, but that in the games plays the part of an SdKfz234/1.

And my British. Also around 850 points, I think it's a 2 point difference to the Germans advantage. I had to stop using the free artillery observer, since it really was a bit to much in size of games I've played so far (and because of the fact that I really like WW2 aircraft, so I prefer the air-observer).

My brave commander.

And the mentioned FAO with his Hawker Hurricane, which still is a bit of work in progress.

My anti-tank rifle team.

And the latest addition, an universal carrier, which I use as in a recce role.
    I know that the paint-scheme probably isn't 100% historically accurate, even though I've seen pics of similar ones, but I wanted my vehicles to look a bit coherent (and the scheme was fun to paint too) so it looks as it does now.

Adn to finish this post off, a WIP of my latest terrain feature/project.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 15:04. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Nice stuff!

Even with historicals, i'm a fan of the rule of cool.

I want my mini's to be mostly accurate, but I prefer to take some artistic liberty in painting.

Great work!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Starting to get back into things again after moving and starting a new job.

And coming home from a festival my birthdaypresent to myself was waiting for me.
    So I'm still stuck in northh africa, and still with a softspot for sunhats, so I didn't have much choise, it just had to be an italian force up next.

And I even managed to find an Macchi mc202 “folgore” model at my local toystore...had to have it.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 15:05. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

I have more or less finsished a couple of test-minis by now, still some touch-ups and the bases to finish, but never the less some progress.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 15:07. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Italians! Yes! My favorite.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

A better pic of them as they stand today. I'm going to repaint the backpack and straps, but all in due time.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 15:08. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Nice. Did you miss a white spot under the "nose" of the glasses? Also, can I suggest black with gloss varnish instead of light blue for the glasses? Just a personal opinion of course.
    The white is supposed to be a part of the red-white-green rosette that the italians had on their sunhats. It probably should have a bit more red though.

I went down the blue road with the glasses since I have done that with other BA minis from the north africa theatre, but I will give it a try on some future minis and see how I feel about it.

I have made a bit of progress and more or less finished my first squad of infantry, just the lips of the bases left and I'm still a bit undecided about the colour. A dark brown to make them stand out a little or a sandcolour to make them blend in...decisions, decisions. :confused:

]

And my FAO with helper.

To round this off, a WIP of my Lt.

Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 15:11. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Very nice work on the Italians. 🖒

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Very cool. Really dig these Italian minis. With the Italians you can throw in some olive drab coloured jackets and trousers here and there. There always was a shortage of tropical uniforms in the Italian army, right from the start. The very bright jacket on the Lt. (Tenente? Was that the rank?) is a very good touch. Those British sculpts look really cool as well. Nice stuff.

Are those planes 1:72nd scale?

Quote Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
    Very nice work on the Italians.
    Thanks!

Snyggt! I'd go with sand coloured base edges.
    Thank you! That is what I've been leaning towards as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Very cool. Really dig these Italian minis. With the Italians you can throw in some olive drab coloured jackets and trousers here and there. There always was a shortage of tropical uniforms in the Italian army, right from the start. The very bright jacket on the Lt. (Tenente? Was that the rank?) is a very good touch. Those British sculpts look really cool as well. Nice stuff.

Are those planes 1:72nd scale?
    Thanks!
    Yeah the Lt. Is supposed to be a tenente or sottotenente.
    The planes are indeed 1:72 or at least the ones I use as markers for airstrikes and the crashed Hurricane I use as a terrain-piece is 1:48.

This is a good day, with the rebirth of this forum.

And I have done a bit of painting in the downtime, and this will give me some motivation to get some photos taken. But I have a few old ones taken earlier, which I never got the chance to show before the forum went down, so here we go.

It's been my italian forces that have been my main focus lately, och this autum, with the odd distraction from other places, but more of that later.

My italians was originally just meant to be an small add-on to my DAK, maybe just a squad or two as house-ruled allies. But as it stands today its just as “big” as both my DAK and my allied forces. A whooping 850 points.... and a force to be reckoned with.

Hopefully.

So lets start with the leader.
    Just a normal Lt with a helper/meat-shield.

And under his command are a couple of units of infantry, just the bog standard ones.

And for the more challenging parts of his plans, he has access to a unit of bersaglieri as well.

And of course some other support as well.
    Lets start with something that is a bit special for me personally, since I made my duty for king and country as an mortar-man, a bit bigger mortar but still the same principle.

And last but not least, my thing for WWII aircraft makes an FAO an natural and compulsory choise. It's more or less pure nostalgia since I used to build quite a few as a kid.

So here he is, along with his attendant.

And this is the Macchi MC-202 Folgore that ha can call in to wreak havoc, at least that's the theory behind it anyway.

I have finished a bit more than this, but with the fourm down I have had a hard time to get me motivated to juggle camera, minis and lights, or as now non-existent natural sunlight. But now that is about to change, though the time isn't ideal since I work in the retail business.
    But I think that I will get some pictures taken in a not to distant future at least.

And as a sending off, something that doesn't really belong but I hope you won't mind to much if I sneak in some of my latest distraction, some Konflikt 47 minis now and then. They are more or less just an add-on to my BA armies. So here is a wip pic of my test-minis for some heavy infantry, still quite a bit of work left on them when I took the pic.

And please let me know if you feel that this something that doesn't belong here or something I should stop posting in here.
    Last edited by Zogoth; 08-07-2017 at 15:21. Reason: Sorted out the Photobucket-shenanigans

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast