Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Beyond the Gates of Antares

Beyond the Gates of Antares

I've noticed that it's getting an all plastic starter set and I think it actually looks quite good. I looked at it a while ago with it being Warlord but I thought most of the races looked boring, but the new starter set Concord look very tempting. What do people think, is anyone interested in playing? Or has anyone played the beta rules?

Re: Beyond the Gates of Antares

I've pre-ordered the starter set, and I've got a Boromite force of the painting desk right now. I think it's a great game. If you've played Bolt Action you'll recognise the rules, but they are expanded a little by going to d10's and having reactions. I think they've done a great job on the minis, considering the game isn't out yet!
    Are you local?

Yeah I quite like the look of them, they remind me a lot of mass effect. I've never actually played Bolt actions, more into Flames of War, but I know its alternative activation. How big is the force you get in the starter set compared to the average game size? ie. if it recommends 1500 pts as an average game what is the starter set roughly?

I'm gettig it as a christmas present from my Mrs, I'm hoping its as good as bolt action the beat rules looked great but i didn't get a chance to play it yet.

I am intrigued as I would like to find a game to replace 40k, my hearts not in it anymore.

I like small games so anyone know how well it handles them from their experience with the beta rules? I'm thinking maybe 4 small squads and a vehicle or two.

Never played Bolt Action...how does shooting work?

Apparently they have another 6 plastic kits to be rolled out over the next year.

Chapter Master

Shooting is hypothetically simple - roll to hit, then roll to save. No to wound or damage roll necessary.

Instead, accuracy is degraded by cover or coming under fire yourself.

Weapon power is represented by modifiers to the saving throw.

The game is deliberately designed for small scale actions, but the rules appear to scale up better than 40K if you do choose to play a bigger battle on occasion.
    "They have their moments - although I've had to persuade at least three alien races not to invade the Earth on the strength of Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" - Doctor Who's opinion of the Carpenters, "Relative Dementias" written by Mark Michaelowski

Rules As Written doesn't always make for a fun game.

Chapter Master

I played the beta etc and the rules are great- Im still undecided on whether Ill buy it though. Theyve gone for the plate armour look on most of their figures which makes them look just like pretty much every other scifi offering these days!

But the starter set looks good value- the forces arent even apparently, but the Concord force looks complete, more or less. the Ghar might need reinforcing a little. Forces are small (smaller than the suggested lists in the beta were originally, which suggested a dozen units or more aside, but folk were finding it better with 4-5 aside IIRC).

I dont like the Concord much (they seem to be the Space Marines of BTGOA, so pretty dull IMO!) But I quite like the Ghar, especially their unarmoured slaves who just look so hopeless and massively out of their depth! I also quite like the Freeborn, though not quite enough to pay £4 per figure (which is £2.50 per figure more than I usually like to pay!).

Technically theres no problem with playing big games with this ruleset though having the individual unit activation I find a bit slow for bigger games. Mr Priestly did suggest an alternative method for larger games though, where you brigade a few units together under a single commander (say the 4-5 units which would comprise a normal force) and activate this "platoon" on a single order dice. Its the number of Order dice that effect the pace of the game really. More than 6 dice per player in the bag and it slows down. So if you want a game with dozens of units just activate several per order dice. Whether this has been formalised in the rules to be released I know not, but it would certainly be something to keep in mind.

Thanks for the feedback

I read an article in Wargames Illustrated (I think) recently and in it Rik describes the rules as fussy so I think I will wait till the game is released and read a few reviews of the final rules before deciding whether to commit or not.

All the chatter over Hawk's Drop Fleet Commander has got my interest so I may well jump into that instead.

EDIT: 4-5 units a side is much more the size of game I am interested in.

Chapter Master

Fussy? Hmm, I suppose it is; D10s allow for a much greater range of variables than d6's, so a lot of stuff is in the modifier tables for rolling to hit/save etc
    Also the reactions arent simply a case of allowing overwatch or ambushes. Depending on the situation there are a range of options. I recall one playtest I did with Daleks V Rogue Trader Imperial Guard where a Dalek Supreme fired on the Guard commander, the chain reaction of reaction orders pulled numerous units into a fire fight which resulted in several units dead from drawing a single order dice! IIRC only the Guard commander was still standing when the dust settled.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Egg View Post
    4-5 units a side is much more the size of game I am interested in.
    I find it works very well at that level, and I believe the starter armies are all that sort of size.

The basic mechanics sound good but I haven't heard much in-detail about the rest of the game. I did download the beta was was put off right from the start when I noticed the rules suggested you could play small games then stated that you really needed much bigger games. It also seemed to conflict with the starter armies they were putting out in the store. Should have kept my copy of the beta (thought I had...doh!), will just have to wait for reviews.

Primark of the Deaf Gourd duffybear1988's Avatar

I've been with it since the original kickstarter run and the beta rules were fun. Can't wait for the postie to deliver my starter set.

Veteran Sergeant

Id give it a look if it wasn't for the models. Man they are shocking
    Age of Sigmar is set after 40K

Chapter Master

Hardly shocking. No worse than anything GW has offered ever, from a technical viewpoint. A bit bland I think. But then I find thats true of GW, infinity and a lot of other scifi offerings these days.

I think I like the lack of what I think of as the Warmachine-factor in the minis; no massive weapons or over the top proportions. I dislike that GW is moving in that direction more and more.

Primark of the Deaf Gourd duffybear1988's Avatar

I actually prefer them to some of the GW stuff these days!

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by UndeadKing View Post
    Id give it a look if it wasn't for the models. Man they are shocking
    Nothing to stop you playing with other models. I expect to be using Tau Battlesuits vs Guard/Tau Drones for the first few battles...
    "They have their moments - although I've had to persuade at least three alien races not to invade the Earth on the strength of Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" - Doctor Who's opinion of the Carpenters, "Relative Dementias" written by Mark Michaelowski

Rules As Written doesn't always make for a fun game.

I think I like the lack of what I think of as the Warmachine-factor in the minis; no massive weapons or over the top proportions. I dislike that GW is moving in that direction more and more.
    So very true.
    Smeagel is free!

Now spending my hobby money on FOW, KOW, Wrath of Kings, Infinity, Star Trek Attack Wing, historicals and other good stuff.

I don't have anything against Warmachine minis, but I find the Antares minis to sport quite huge guns too frankly.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming like the other people in his car.

Got those old 5th edition lizardmen collecting dust? PM me, I really need more metal skinks with javelins.

I think its common for minis to have larger than life guns, real scale can look very tiny on the table top from a players POV.

I think every sci-fi game has to have that bland Heinlein style space marine as a staple. I'll be more interested to see the expanded races, I quite like the freeborn they remind me of the freemen from dune. Although they're supposed to be mercs or something.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast