Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Beyond the Gates of Antares

Chapter Master

Re: Beyond the Gates of Antares

Sort of mercs- I always imagine them more as 40k style Rogue Traders TBH.

Also starter armies went on preorder today- 750 point armies for 50, based around the plastics from the starter set. Am no longer able to resist the Ghar...

Err isn't the concord force illegal. I'm sure I saw something about you can't have a drop squad without a drop command unit.

Chapter Master

dunno, not got the rule book yet

I'm hmming and hawing about getting it. Most of the models for the game I am indifferent about although I do like the Ghar battle suits.

As far as sci-fi model ranges go, there are only so many variations of humanoids with guns and body armour; designers of model ranges really have their work cut out for them to come up with something radically new that will also be commercially viable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

When AT-43 came out I immediately bought into it because the models where so cool. These don't do it for me, there's no real cool factor. Both factions look like generic scifi-models we've seem a million times before - and not really well done to be honest.
    The filth of their visage is nothing compared to the filth in their hearts -
    BasetheRuins 2nd Ed Black Legion

Chapter Master

Personally, the stuff that bugs me are the flying stands everywhere. Can't some faction not use hovering drones?
    Other than that, most of the models look very... retro. As if someone was starting over with miniature design and 30 years from now they'll catch back up to industry standards.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Vaughn View Post
    I dont like the Concord much (they seem to be the Space Marines of BTGOA, so pretty dull IMO!) But I quite like the Ghar, especially their unarmoured slaves who just look so hopeless and massively out of their depth! I also quite like the Freeborn, though not quite enough to pay 4 per figure (which is 2.50 per figure more than I usually like to pay!).
    That's a bit like me. I suspect that the game is fun, since Bolt Action is fun, but I haven't been sold on the models yet. Most factions look the same, though the Ghar slaves look kinda cool. I might also go for some kind of Arab conversions if anyone I know get into it. I'd be more into a crazy whacky Valerian style game.

Chapter Master

Oh its a good rule set no doubt about that, knocks spots off bolt action (which I thought a bit flat tbh), GOA is rather well done...or at least it was in the alpha/beta test! Hopefully getting the boxed game for crimbo (or if not just after!).

I really like the idea of the game, but I do agree some of the models have a bland appeal to them.

That said, I really like the algoryn. And if I was to pick up the game. It would be them.

If warlord got the rights to Mass Effect, then they would be rolling in money...

I would start a turian army in a heartbeat.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Chapter Master

Well, they just dropped the price of the all metal starter armies- (sort of, they left the price the same and added 40-worth of models to each....). Its almost halved the price per figure, which I'm sure will be a tipping point for a fair number of those sat on the fence. All I have to do now is pick one...Ghar or Freeborn I think...

Wow, 120 USD is very viable for those forces, especially for pewter...

Thats very tempting..

Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

I'd feel gutted if I already had one tho.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Personally, the stuff that bugs me are the flying stands everywhere. Can't some faction not use hovering drones?
    Other than that, most of the models look very... retro. As if someone was starting over with miniature design and 30 years from now they'll catch back up to industry standards.
    The Ghar don't.

Mind, the drones are optional.

Oh, they're all useful, and some of the weapon drones are the only way to field some weapons (at least with a degree of mobility), but absolutely none are essential.
    "They have their moments - although I've had to persuade at least three alien races not to invade the Earth on the strength of Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" - Doctor Who's opinion of the Carpenters, "Relative Dementias" written by Mark Michaelowski

Rules As Written doesn't always make for a fun game.

I'm tempted, but I am still knee deep in Flames of War and Black Powder. My next stop was going to be KoW, but these are intriguing. Maybe I'll pick up a few and make a decision from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beyond the Gates of Antares

$120 for that full of an army is unreal. I'm def buying next payday.

By the way, I have Algoryns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djekar View Post
    O beneficent one, I bask in the glory of your knowledge
    Quote Originally Posted by Avian View Post
    If you say that all norwegians have to pay an additional tax, then you have not specified that I need to pay it, despite me being a norwegian.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckutter View Post
    $120 for that full of an army is unreal. I'm def buying next payday.

By the way, I have Algoryns.
    Most everything but the ghar and the concord are pewter or resin as well!

How do you find the models you have so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Egg View Post
    I'd feel gutted if I already had one tho.
    I'm sobbing into my cornflakes

Still I did get the box earlier than release day so i cannot complain too much

Commander

I, too, have been following the development of BtGoA since the Kickstarter campaign. Quite pleased with the final product, though I do think they need to get a few vehicles into production to make clear that the game isn't just another semi-generic sci-fi skirmish game.

I like the clean sci-fi lines of the Concord, Algoryn and Ghar, and I'm looking forward to the techno-organic feel of the Isorians. Boromites and Freeborn don't really appeal to me, though the "blueprints" of the Freeborn vehicles in the rulebook are good, so I might be swayed if the plastics are an improvement over the metal troops for that faction.

As for gameplay, no complaints from me at all. Simple and fast to learn. There aren't piles of special rules and modifiers to remember. If i have one criticism of the boxed set it's the inclusion of the Ghar whose Res of 4(12) requires the use of an exception to the core rules for pinning from the word "go". But I do understand why the models are in there. They're a very well-done kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minister
    In the battle between good and evil, they are on the side of green.

Been looking for a new sci fi game since 40k jumped the shark. I must say I'm totally sold on this one after looking into it. Also Rick priestly? What can go wrong?

Chapter Master

No need to modify the pinning rules for the starter set. Ghar get boned fast by Concord/Isorians with their plasma carbines firing single shot (get pinned by hits with Res of 10 or less after modifiers). Remember, when pins=models, you start taking break tests.
    Mag gun forces struggle due to their SV only being 1, so more powerful weapons are required for these guys to have a chance against Ghar.
    Last edited by WLBjork; 05-12-2015 at 22:14.
    "They have their moments - although I've had to persuade at least three alien races not to invade the Earth on the strength of Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" - Doctor Who's opinion of the Carpenters, "Relative Dementias" written by Mark Michaelowski

Rules As Written doesn't always make for a fun game.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast