Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Beyond the Gates of Antares

Re: Beyond the Gates of Antares

I have heard that the ghar are actually the ones at a disadvantage in the starter set. They are the faction that interest me the most but I might wait until they are a little more fleshed out.

Chapter Master

They are pretty poor as is.

However, I tried an experiment on Sunday. Used Grots to represent Outcasts, with Disrupter Cannon in each squad.

Complete switch. From the Ghar not having a chance, this time the Concord didn't have a chance. The Outcasts gave the numbers to absorb fire (helped they were in ruins for +2 res), plus the firepower to inflict casualties.

Battlesuits are currently massively overpriced for what you get.
    "They have their moments - although I've had to persuade at least three alien races not to invade the Earth on the strength of Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" - Doctor Who's opinion of the Carpenters, "Relative Dementias" written by Mark Michaelowski

Rules As Written doesn't always make for a fun game.

So a couple days ago I picked up the rulebook. I have been following along with this game since the Kickstarter too -- too bad it never made it. However, I must say the rules and the rulebook look sharp! Pretty excited about this. So much so that I spent money I shouldn't have to buy some Algoryn to get started with!

Damon.
    "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"

A Mtlhd of Wrsr

My Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com
    My Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com

I like the pure white Algoryn of this guy's army- the Antenoceti vehicles are perfect for the game too.

Edit: sorry, they are Concord- not Algoryn.
    Last edited by Codsticker; 18-12-2015 at 02:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

I've been watching this develop at arms lenght... but there's something that I've just watched that has just utterly sold me

https://youtu.be/qy7dmqqv3S0?t=23m9s

At 23m09s they talk about... well... mind->blown.
    The Scholar Progenium role out for war! - new poroject

2DSick Wargaming - My youtube channel

Discover what lies Beyond the Gates of Antares

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Sarcasm is gone, but there's something new I'm sure you'll love ...........Age of Sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DSick View Post
    I've been watching this develop at arms lenght... but there's something that I've just watched that has just utterly sold me

https://youtu.be/qy7dmqqv3S0?t=23m9s

At 23m09s they talk about... well... mind->blown.
    Yeah sound really cool. Validates my decision to invest (which I was trying to do way back during the Kickstarter)...

Damon.
    "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"

A Mtlhd of Wrsr

My Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com
    My Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com

Veteran Sergeant

This game has peaked my interest.

Coming from a 40k background I was wondering if anyone with similar background has any thoughts on it?

Based on comments and starter bundles doesn't seem like there's a large investment in models required?

It is a lot closer to 2nd edition in game size. And its not the bucket of dice with mechwarriors that 40k has become. Its about small squads of infantry and some support skirmishing it out.

40k has turned into all apocolypse all the time.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisanis View Post

40k has turned into all apocolypse all the time.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I was thinking GoA will end up being halfway between 2nd and 3rd in terms of model count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by duz_ View Post
    This game has peaked my interest.

Coming from a 40k background I was wondering if anyone with similar background has any thoughts on it?

Based on comments and starter bundles doesn't seem like there's a large investment in models required?
    PROS:
    BtGoA have a lower model count compared to WH40K (it seems almost a skirmish game), have more streamlined and easy to understand rules, is a lot more quick to play

CONS:
    BtGoA ruleset is completely different from GW stuff, so you can't simply jump in and play without a period of acclimatization

In the pro/cons I don't factor in things like miniature aesthetics, background themes and stories, number of players avalaible for a game and so on: it's all either situational or heavily subjective. On a general note I usually recommend Beyond the Gates of Antares: the game is still in its infancy but it's based on a ruleset that is both innovative and easy to understand (no small feat considering it's the brainchild of a debated ruleset like Bolt Action) and at least for now the factions are pretty evenly balanced. Developers on their forum already speak of narrative campaign books (apparently the first one could be Concord vs Ghar, but Isorians could be launched soon) and that, compared to the unbalanced mess that are the Codices for WH40K, is a rather refreshing idea. Also, considering who is in charge of the development, we can expect little to none planned obsolescence for rulebooks and/or kits.

TL: DR --> it's radically different from WH40K, but the transition is not difficult: the rules are quick to understand and simple to memorize, and the game plays well.
    I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it

Veteran Sergeant

Cheers will have to investigate further

On the pro side (for me at least) looks like there's still hobby involved too

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by duz_ View Post
    On the pro side (for me at least) looks like there's still hobby involved too
    There's less modelling (miniatures are rather simple) and painting (it's almost a skirmish game) involved than, say, your average GW game of 1500/2000 points with tons of miniature composed by an high number of bits and parts. In a recent interview Priesteley spoke about the development of LoTR when he was still in Nottingham: apparently he noted that simple plastic kits like the LoTR ones (wiothout too many bits, with realistic posing and proportions) were much more easy to develop, stock and then market to wargamers. It seems that this no-nonsense, minimalistic attitude was ported to BtGoA: a lot of the models are quite plain and with very few options for customization.
    I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it

The lack of modelling options does put me off, at least for now. I will see how their range of kits develop over the next year or so.

Chapter Master

liking the Concord Jetbikes...nice. And I dont even like concord.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    PROS:
    CONS:
    BtGoA ruleset is completely different from GW stuff, so you can't simply jump in and play without a period of acclimatization
    I'm not sure how Gates differs from 40K, but I'm temper to call this a pro rather than a con. GW's continued use of their stale, old IGOUGO rules system is hardly something I'd miss in transitioning to another game.

Chapter Master

Agreed- also dont understand why a period of acclimatization is required.

You buy a game, you read the rules, you play the game. Its not hard people. Unless you're implying that there really are people out there who can't understand that theres no Vortex Grenade in the Community Chest deck, or that spend entire games of Scrabble arguing about how the knight moves.

"You owe me 200 in rent- youve landed on a triple word score" is a phrase that has never ever been uttered by anyone ever, especially not when playing Necromunda.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    There's less modelling (miniatures are rather simple) and painting (it's almost a skirmish game) involved than, say, your average GW game of 1500/2000 points with tons of miniature composed by an high number of bits and parts.
    Thats a good thing for me. Every year I get less and less hobby time. At this point I wouldn't even dream about getting 2000 pts. 40k army painted. GoA seems less time consuming in the hobby aspect and I'm sure I'd still be able to achieve some nice paintjobs with Concord and Ghar minis. Also, transporting 40k armies was a pure horror...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pojko View Post
    If you're not trying to win, either for narrative or competitive reasons, it might as well be Age of Little League where everyone gets a trophy so no one feels bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadhorse View Post
    If the AoS releases so far have been "the tip of the iceberg", then I can only assume that tip is placed firmly against the WFB gaming community's collective anus and the "more to come" includes higher prices, audio rulebooks in the sing along format and backpack add-ons for sigmarines.

Got my starter set.

Literally no acclimatisation period.... Probably because my friends and I have been watching every last warlord games video on how to play, hehe.

Fantastic core mechanics. Takes the best of bolt action and has made something really special. In particular, the siht-canning of any You-go-I-go, turn based system is worthy of note. The unit activation system makes for a very fluid and more involving system (no more waiting half an hour for one persons turn... Albeit making the occasional saving throw, hehe).

Part of me wants to.expand both armies.... The other part makes me want to wait until March and go mental over the Isorian shard!.... Might just pick up some outcasts, some flitters and a bike squad for some variety. I figure that would be ideal for running intro games.
    Last edited by 2DSick; 27-12-2015 at 13:24.

Sarcasm is gone, but there's something new I'm sure you'll love ...........Age of Sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DSick View Post
    Part of me wants to.expand both armies.... The other part makes me want to wait until March and go mental over the Isorian shard!
    I hope Isorians will be released in plastic. I want them now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pojko View Post
    If you're not trying to win, either for narrative or competitive reasons, it might as well be Age of Little League where everyone gets a trophy so no one feels bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadhorse View Post
    If the AoS releases so far have been "the tip of the iceberg", then I can only assume that tip is placed firmly against the WFB gaming community's collective anus and the "more to come" includes higher prices, audio rulebooks in the sing along format and backpack add-ons for sigmarines.

Quote Originally Posted by Teurastaja View Post
    I hope Isorians will be released in plastic. I want them now!
    I'm trying to act all cool about it but I've seen the Isorian command and..

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f5...ps4c9iqz1r.jpg

OOOOOOOH MYYYYYYY GOOOOIOOD I DO A SEX WEEEEEEE, IWANT, I WANT. I waaaaaant, Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    Gimme gimme gimme gimme....

Ahem....

Excuse that outburst.... :|

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast