Thread: Question about units

Question about units

So I bought the two-player starter set plus the Cygnar All-In-One Army Box, and I was curious about something. The Man-O-War Shocktroopers and Exemplar Cinerators both have multiple wounds for each individual model, but neither the Stormguard nor the Arcane Tempest Gun Mages have anything of the sort. Is that correct? I just want to make sure that I'm not looking at stat cards from two different editions or something like that. And if it's correct, why is that? Is there a reason why some infantry get multiple wounds while others automatically die the instant they take damage? Is it just a case of the starter box including elite infantry for Khador and Menoth? If so, does Cygnar have similarly elite infantry which also has 8 wounds? If so, what are they called? Thanks.

Chapter Master

Re: Question about units

First bit- yes. Some units (most are on medium bases, or cav on large) have multiple wounds. For small based units, that really only happens with characters or officers (from Unit Attachments).

Older edition cards have a very different style (and point costs). For one thing, the art isn't crammed into a tiny circle.

Multiwound heavy infantry is... more complicated now. It used to be only Men-o-War, where the heavy steam armor was a substitute for light jacks for various background reasons (mostly lack of the specialized resources to mass-produce cortexes for light jacks). But over time, most factions got heavy infantry. The sole exception, at this point, being Cygnar. Well, and Farrow.

The rationale gets a bit crazy- it was originally tied up partly in faction identity, but that is long gone at this stage. Men-o-War get boxes because of their armor, as do the skorne and Menite heavy infantry (mortitheurgy and faith may or may not play a role in that as well, it gets a bit fuzzy). Ogrun (Legion, Cryx, Mercs) are always multi-wound, but trollkin despite always being on medium bases, are not (because balance to some extent, because a faction of solely multi-wounds would be excessive, somehow. Maybe. But probably not, since you can just field a force of entirely multi-wound infantry, so... whatever).

Cygnar's elites tend more toward a lot of tricks, or for Stormblades, really high POW.

All that said... elite infantry is a really fuzzy term in warmachine. Men o War are considered crap by a large section of community (take IFP or doom reavers instead), and cinerators are a poor cousin to bastions. All stormnouns should be elite infantry by any standard for Cygnar, but some are quite a bit better than others. Trenchers have such a giant list of abilities and high point cost that they should be elite infantry, but honestly they're standard dudes on the line.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I just thought it was an odd bit of disconnect from one to the other, but their being on different base sizes should've been my first tip off. Although it is pretty strange that Cygnar doesn't have its own version of multi-wound heavy infantry. Oh well. I guess we'll see how it plays out. I'm currently deciding between playing Cygnar or Menoth, so once I get some games in I'll know for sure which I'd prefer.

If you haven't yet I'd advise getting the War room app for warmahordes. Amazing value for what you get and does the job of answering any questions on how many wounds a model has. Otherwise Voss answered your question quite well.

If you decide to hop on Menoth and have any questions shoot me some messages if you like as they are one of the 6 factions I play.

I can second war room app. Buying your faction deck gives you not only the cards for all the current models for your faction, you also get future updates for them.
    Also while playing, it's very handy since you can add and remove wounds on the cards and has all the rules as well incase you need to check something.

Chapter Master

War room is a good collected reference (and much better value than the books, since the amount of fluff in the books is going sharply down), but I wouldn't recommend it for use while playing. It does have errors (many of which are not corrected in a timely manner) and makes the open information component of the game much more annoying.
    And lo, the Return!

Well I only use it for the hitpoint boxes since no one seems to remember to bring a pen.

Note that they are bringing out a new version of War Room, remade from the ground up, soon. And you can participate in an open beta (soonish?).
    As a long-time Goblin player, I can reliably inform you that failure is ALWAYS an option.

Painting Log - Circle Orboros - Warpwolves FTW!
    Terrain Log - Circle Orboros themed terrain for Hordes

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into getting the app.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avian View Post
    Note that they are bringing out a new version of War Room, remade from the ground up, soon. And you can participate in an open beta (soonish?).
    That sounds ominous. Is re-buying card sets going to be a thing?
    And lo, the Return!

No, as always with PP, once you buy cards, you get updates for free indefinitely. So your purchases will carry over.
    As a long-time Goblin player, I can reliably inform you that failure is ALWAYS an option.

Chapter Master

Well, that is a relief and good to know, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'as always with PP.' I've rebought books once (though this wasn't nearly the burden it is with GW) and physical cards are on their third cycle, all of which required buying again.
    And lo, the Return!

I meant the cards in the app.