Thread: My Fantasy houses and other terrain projects.

Brother Sergeant

My Fantasy houses and other terrain projects.

Hi! I have drawn inspiration from the project logs here (especially the terrain ones) for some time and thought it was about time that I contribute myself. I am a long time WHFB player who have recently found myself spending more and more of my hobby time making terrain. My goal is to build terrain that can stand next to my Tabletop World houses without looking completely out of place. Now I did NOT say that they should be as detailed and realistic as the Tabletop World houses since that is simply to ambitious. But when I place a GW building next to at Tabletop World house I find that it looks somewhat like DUPLO: To big, to block shaped, and with large flat surfaces*. Others might of course prefer the GW look but not me so what my terrain should fulfill is:
    -It should be about the right size for 28 mm models.
    -It should have nice textures.
    -Not everything should be strait lines and right angles.
    A list that I consider achievable. Of course I also want it to be as detailed and good looking as possible but that is an ever ongoing process.

*DUPLO bricks does (fortunately) have considerably fewer skulls at seemingly random places but that is absolutely not a point for GW in my opinion.
    Last edited by Okkel; 26-10-2015 at 23:36.

Brother Sergeant

Re: My Fantasy houses and other terrain projects.

First entry will be a prototype of a thatched house that I just finished. It all started with an attempt to make a good thatched roof. Now there are several solutions out there, for example the towel solution, that is fast and simple but in my opinion just lacks that last touch to stand next to my tabletop world models:

The pelt solution taken from one of my absolute favorite blogs in here looks awesome but also slightly to wet for my taste plus I was afraid the details would notwork well when painted:

So I decided to try and come up with something that suited me better. First I tried to make a small section of thin wires and use instant mold to copy that.

Unfortunately thiswould require the mold to be very sharp and it ended up bending rather than cutting fine lines between the straws.

Building a houseonly of wires would be to expensive, slow, and heavy so I tried with another material: The hairs from a broom.

They looked far to straight for my taste and was slightly to broad so next up was some sisal string. That looked considerably better so I decided to make a prototype with that solution. While I did that the project sort of grew larger. Since it was a prototype I decided to test other things as well – mainly making all wood of green stuff and in the end it took somewhat longer than planed but finally I got the following result:

Last edited by Okkel; 26-10-2015 at 23:38.

Brother Sergeant

Now it just needed a little paint and it was ready for the tables:

Altogether I am quite pleased with the result. I have however a number of things that needs improvements for the next house:

-The thatching works but I might try to get the straws slightly more ordered.

-The straws at the top needs improvement. I could cover the worst with ”mos”, and the wood that are supposed to keep the down but it still needs improvement.

-The thatching tends to even out part of he shape of the roof so it is important to go all in on the nonlinear shape.

-The mos is acceptable but I am not sure about the grass on the roof. It at the very lest needs some improvement.

-The chimney are actually supposed to be straight but the non-straight roof creates an illusion that that is not the case. I might need to make it longer even if that requires adding more details.

-The windows are not good enough. The houses of poor farmers in medieval times did not have glass windows so I decided not give them that but the black holes just doesn't work and I don't want to block the windows with shutters so I guess I am going to pull out the “fantasy-card” and go with glass on the next house.

-Balsa wood might be faster and maybe even more realistic looking than green stuff, but the green stuff just adds so much atmosphere that I find it worth the extra effort.

-When I started on the front of the house the frame on which I modeled the battens were to large so when green stuff was added it simply took up to much of the facade. It became better when I made the basis very thin on the back side.

-At the second half I also started experimenting with fitting the battens into each other on modeling nails in the wood. Both things are keepers.

-On the other hand the backside became somewhat boring. I need to ad some more details on the next house.

-I came up with an idea for holes in the plaster when I was almost finished, that is going to be used more on coming houses.

-I should have painted the wood in a darker tone. Even if it obscures some details it is far more realistic.

-The size seems ok (here compared with some w.i.p. empire models) but I might make the house 10% smaller. Unfortunately my Tabletop World houses are in Denmark and not Switzerland where I currently live so I can not compare the two directly.

-I think I have done an ok job making it look like an old house that the elements have had time to wear down, but unfortunately it also make it look slightly uninhabited. That is not necessarily a bad thing if that is what you want but usually bloody battles are not fought over abandoned farmhouses so I would like to add some signs that there are humans living there and that they have added their own improvements over time and have left things around the house.

So plenty of things to improve for the next house. That does not mean that I am not happy with how this turned out (even more so since it was a prototype) and it will definitively find its way to my battlefields, but there are always room for improvements. More suggestions for improvements are always welcome.
    Last edited by Okkel; 26-10-2015 at 23:42.

Great looking model; love all the detail!

Loth

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Loth View Post
    Great looking model; love all the detail!

Loth
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Morglum Necksnapper View Post
    That looks great man!
    Really glad that you like it. As mentioned above your blog(s) have been a huge inspiration to me. But that praise really belongs in your blog. Now go produce some new cool stuff so I can place it where it belongs without being accused of tread necromancy!

ps I hope it is ok that I borrowed a picture from your blog as long as i put in quote and linked to it original place.

Veteran Sergeant Darkness Screamer's Avatar

Some really good work. Can I ask what colours you paint your wood as it looks great ?

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness Screamer View Post
    Some really good work. Can I ask what colours you paint your wood as it looks great ?
    Of course.

I mainly use Valejo game color, but I am sure you could find something similar in most other ranges. Anyway here is how I remember the process:

1 First the model was sprayed Black.
    2 The wood was painted Charred Brown.
    3 It was now given a heavy highlight in Beasty Brown.
    4 2 drybrushings of Beasty Brown mixed with different amounts of bone white was meant to finish the job.
    5 I realized that the color got to close to that of the roof and made the house less interesting to look at so i washed the wood in first Charred Brown and then a thin Black. While this helped it also made the wood to dull so I decided to let the thatching go in a more reddish direction and the wood in a more yellowish. While point 3 to 5 might add a little depth to the final result I will definitively try to skip these if I were to do it again )

6 It was now given a heavy highlight in Beasty Brown. (again)
    7 It was drubrushed in a mix of Heavy Gold Brown and Beasty Brown and then a lighter drybrush of Heavy Gold Brown.
    8 Some areas got a Sepia Wash. Mainly if tehy had become to light but also just for variation.
    9 Sharp edges was highlighted in a mix of Heavy Goldbrown and Bone White. The rest was given a very light highlight in this color.
    10 Some areas were "drybrushed" with several layers of thin Camouflage Green. This is also applied at places where it is not immediately apparent to give a slight variation in wood color.
    11 The most rotten areas got a thin layer of Heavy Green.
    12 Thinned down black was carefully painted in the separations between different pieces of wood where it was needed.

As you can see I am every now and then applying thin layers of "heavy" colors which it somewhat counter intuitive. I am sure there are better colors for the job. They just happen to be missing from my desk. Either because I don't own them or because I did not have space to bring all my paints with me to Switzerland.

Brother Sergeant

I have started work on the next hopefully improved house. This is the plan. Simple eh?

I have found that in order to give the roof the right curvature it is easiest to construct it of several small pieces:

The basic shape glued together. Now it "only needs a little texture":

Comparison with the first house. I have tried to up the detail level a notch. It is going to be a challenge to make the smaller details work, but that is what makes it fun.

Chapter Master

That looks great. I think your first house roof works as a slightly 'run down' cottage- thatch does need to be frequently replaced, otherwise I imagine it starts to get a bit disordered like that (and full of mice).
    Orcs and Goblins, Wood Elves, Necrons, Tyranids
    W / D / L
    1 / 2 / 139847
    Everyone else's win totals are completely accurate.

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Geep View Post
    That looks great. I think your first house roof works as a slightly 'run down' cottage- thatch does need to be frequently replaced, otherwise I imagine it starts to get a bit disordered like that (and full of mice).
    New special rule; any caster attempting to cast vermin tide from inside the house gets+2 to the casting role. (and thanks for the praise)

Librarian

Good going. Really like the green stuff wood parts. Please keep us updated.

Brother Sergeant

Since I was taking and uploading pictures anyway here are some WIP of my next house. I have had a few setbacks with technical improvements that turned out to be just the opposite but cutting those away and starting over I actually like where things are going. The house is shaping up to be considerably more detailed than my first one and with fewer mistakes that have to be covered up after wards. There is however still a long way to go.

Oh and the first house have been in action. Here it is the center of a battle between my Orcs and a friends Empire. It is fitting in quite nicely if you ask me.

Funny, the first thing that popped in my head when I saw the pictures (Look first, read later, right?) was Tabletop World, so job well done I'd say! Lovely table too, with fully painted armies. What a sight!

However, it seems you have a ghost problem in your house. You might want to call a priest or something...
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel36 View Post
    Funny, the first thing that popped in my head when I saw the pictures (Look first, read later, right?) was Tabletop World, so job well done I'd say! Lovely table too, with fully painted armies. What a sight!
    Thanks a lot!

However, it seems you have a ghost problem in your house. You might want to call a priest or something...
    Yearh I should probably paint up a cleric next...

Brother Sergeant

Several years have past since last update but we recently finished a patch of terrain for the Lethian t9a weekend realtime team campaign that I run with some friends so I guess I should upload it here. we mainly needed some more mountain terrain as part of the battles are supposed to happen in the mountains and the clubs we have been borrowing terrain from seems rather short stacked in that department. Thus you will se plenty of rock formations:

An overview of the production:

Some fields and orc huts. I am really happy with how much better fields become when you spend the (very short) time to give it a base, some flock and some paint instead of just slapping a piece of dormat on the tabble. The former actually looks like a field.

A few lakes. My first waster effect unfortunately dissolved the xps foam that was supposed to be the banks to not alle are equally good.

Ruins:

Large rocks formations 1:

Large rocks formations 2:

Small rocks formations:

Man, that is some amazing terrain!

Great work.

When I get my spave setup again i will have to try out some rocky parts.

I also really like the ruins of the little huts. A little detail goes a long way.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    I have too many project armies to list...
    Check out my Painting Blog! Comments/Criticism welcome! Historicals, 40k, Fantasy and more! - 2016 Model Count: 68 Bought/10 Painted
    Tabletop Showcase A forum dedicated to wargaming project logs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
    In other words as a rock player I find that changes to scissors are fair, balanced and reasonable but that paper has been made too strong in this edition and should be nerfed.