Thread: Dungeon Saga: "Enter, stranger...."

Dungeon Saga: "Enter, stranger...."

Hello everyone. Thanks for visiting, if I knew you were coming, I'd have baked a cake.

My Dungeon Saga Kickstarter cartons have arrived from Mantic (base game and all the expansions). While it's a game you can play with just the coloured plastics, I aim to get them painted up and hope this plog will spur me on.

What I have to paint:

Dwarf King's Quest

Warlord of Galahir

• Hratth - Salamander Warrior
    • Kapoka - Dryad Druid
    • Thrundak - Orc Warlord
    • 27 x Green Rage minions

Infernal Crypts

• Venetia - Cleric
    • Arianya - Naiad Demonhunter
    • Drech’nok the Destroyer
    • 27 x Denizens of the Abyss minions

Tyrant of Halpi

• Ally - Halfling Thief
    • Ibrahim - Paladin
    • Karrathor the Unbroken

The Return of Valandor

• Valandor - Celestian
    • Ba’el - Undead Demonlord

Adventurer ... your dungeon awaits!

Re: Dungeon Saga: "Enter, stranger...."

To begin at the very beginning, I started the Dwarf King's Quest heroes:

Orlaf the Barbarian

Danor the Wizard

Rordin the Dwarf Warrior

Madriga the Elf Ranger

They're the first Mantic models I've painted, and to be honest: I was a lot more impressed than I thought I'd be. Got them done quickly and thoroughly enjoyed myself doing so.

Nice to see some close ups of the DS models. Looking into getting a set whenever my FLGS get it in stock.

I'm interested in seeing some undead next. I'm thinking of adding them into my regimented horde when they're not guarding a dungeon.

Apparently these models are very forgiving when it comes to reposing with hot water so It's pretty easy so tweak one of the Zombie trolls a bit to avoid them looking identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holier Than Thou View Post
    Is it a good game design feature that a goblin is considered equal to a Dragon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaric View Post
    Yes under the circumstance the tribe could be of dragon hunters is a device capture/bring down a dragon a impossibility?
    [Heresy Era 30k] The Eaters of Worlds Children of a savage messiah, Waagh K.F.O.R.K - My Orks, The log on my ever growing undead horde

@Zywus Undead, you say? Coming right up...

I think these models would make excellent additions to any undead force. The Dwarf Revenant reminds me of the old Dogs of War 'Cursed Company'.

You're right about hot water - almost every one arrived bent out of shape, and a few seconds in just-boiled water sorted them out. For the first batch of Undead, I just re-set them to standard poses, but I may play around with the next lot, as you say, to get some variety.

That's the bones out of the way, now for the flesh!

And a ghost - I'm very tempted to stick a scythe on him and have a wraith.

Last but certainly not least - the zombie troll!

It was great fun painting this set - a lot of variety to keep me entertained (although I do have two more sets of undead to go...)

No further painting to report yet - but I did find time to get some games in!

Into the Depths: the four heroes take on the might of a Zombie Troll!

http://woffboot.blogspot.co.uk/2015/...ll-smells.html

So far, I really like the game. Simple to learn, but enough about it to keep you thinking. Very reminiscent of HeroQuest.

First Dungeon Saga plog that I have seen. Great start.
    How does the game play? Is it any fun?
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

@Daniel36 Thanks - they are a lot of fun to paint. I'm happy to while away time on them, and they don't feel like a project (even though I've got over 100 to do!)

In terms of the game: I've played 5 games in the campaign so far (with three players: one overlord and two controlling a pair of heroes each), and it is really good fun.

The play is fast, the rules are easy to pick up, and there is enough to think about for a tactical challenge The scenarios encourage (practically demand) cooperative play and forward thinking. The heroes are more powerful than any of the evil minions, but you are running against the clock and only one hero needs to go down to lose the scenario. We've had a great time playing - some really cinematic moments in the dungeon.

In terms of the full set, the 'Adventurers Companion' has come under some flak (and rightly so, to some extent); and I don't think the 'AI Deck' works any better than having a player design a new dungeon - but the out-of-the-box campaign is very much recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Stylus View Post
    @Daniel36 Thanks - they are a lot of fun to paint. I'm happy to while away time on them, and they don't feel like a project (even though I've got over 100 to do!)
    That's exactly how I'm finding painting Dungeon Saga. It's like it's not really a chore, maybe because you just paint 3-6 figures as a batch and then you're done with them. Opposed to when painting units for mass battles games, where you may batch 3-6 and then you've still got plenty more of the same type of model to paint.
    I've got all my Undead and the base game heroes out on my painting table, and it's quite enjoyable seeing my painted miniatures increase while the unpainted ones decrease.

As for comments, really like the look of the models you've painted. Like the fleshtone on your zombies, kinda what I wanted to go for, but ended up far too green due to the paints I had on hand . Look forward to seeing the rest of the miniatures painted

Thanks @someone2040, yeah it's good to dabble sometimes. The zombie flesh was straightforward: Nurgling Green base, Drakenhof Nightshade wash, Ushabi Bone highlights. Despite painting for 25 years, these are my first undead, so I'm having fun with them.

And I've completed another post-dungeon report - a really cool mission where the heroes have to defeat Elshara the Elven Banshee!

http://woffboot.blogspot.co.uk/2015/...ld-inside.html

(poor Elshara was only undercoated for the fight, so I'd better get painting!)