Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters month 5 (Dec completed & Jan WiP)

Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters month 5 (Dec completed & Jan WiP)

Sorry for the somewhat late start this month (year?), I've been recovering from last nights festivities if you know what I mean

Welcome to the Tale of Age of Sigmar Painters 2015-2016!

What is the Tale all about?
    The goal of the Tale of Painters is to get an army fully painted within the next 12 months.

Because of the fluid nature of the AoS system your army can be as large or as small as you wish it to be, for the purposes of the tale we will measure army size in warscrolls (though if you wish to pattern your army after one of the fan-made comp. packs that are available or even points values based on a previous edition of warhammer fantasy battle please feel free).

Your army theme is your own, if you want to draw scrolls from multiple factions/Grand Alliances or even include terrain warscrolls then that is your prerogative, let your creativity run wild!

Your target is to paint roughly 10% of your army each month. For example, if you've chosen an army of 20 Warscrolls then your monthly target would be 2 warscrolls. The Tale runs for one year (September 2015 to August 2016), so if you stick to your 10% monthly target then you'll only need to paint for 10 months of the year.

To cover the months when you can't/don't paint, you get 2 Jokers. You can play a Joker at any time (provided you haven't used them both up!), which essentially means that you don't have to meet your target for that month. They can used for real life events (such as births, deaths, marriages, exams, holidays) or if you're just having a bad/slow month. If you use a Joker then feel free to post a suitable image instead (of a Joker or something funny).

What is this thread all about?
    This thread is for completed work from the previous month (sept) and later, for work in progress (WIP) shots of what you a working on for this month. Please do not post any completed work for this month in this thread.

Feel free to post any WIP pictures of what you're going to be painting this month, army lists, background stories, battle reports, questions, and comments on anyone else's posts. You can post as little or as much as you like in the thread, but please keep it WIP. Do not post any completed work for this month until after the next thread opens at the start of next month.

Things to note
    1. It's not too late!
    If you want to join the Tale midway through that's absolutely fine, just post on this thread with the army/faction/Grand Alliance/theme of the force you are building and the goal (preferably in warscrolls) that you want to work towards and I will add you to the roster.

2. FAQ
    The original sign up thread and Tale FAQ can be found here >> http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...Sign-up-thread

If you have any further questions please ask them, either by posting them below, or by shooting me a PM

3. Commenting on other peoples work
    Now is the time to post pics of your completed work for December, it would be great to spur each other on with lots of encouraging and constructive comments. Later in the month, once everyone has posted their completed work (usually around the 10th) I would encourage everyone to put up some comments for the other participants in the tale.

4. The Purge!
    You might notice that the list of participants has shrunk somewhat since last month, basically I have removed all the sign-ups who have so far not contributed (or jokered) at least once in the last four months (excluding anyone who has signed up within the last month). If I've screwed up and removed you by mistake please post a correction below or pm me and I'll sort it out. If your name has been removed and you still want to be part of the tale don't worry you can always rejoin, I just wanted to keep things tidy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Konovalev View Post
    Warseer's Warhammer General has become like a nerdy Jerry Springer. It's quite entertaining.
    Calling all AoS fans, please consider joining Warseer's first Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters

Re: Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters month 5 (Dec completed & Jan WiP)

Altsain - various AoS releases - 27/? Warscrolls
    Artoris - Skaven - 2/10 Warscrolls
    beastofnurgle - Nurgle Chaos - 3/10 warscrolls
    Booah - Death - 0/10 Warscrolls
    Booah - chaos - 0/10 Warscrolls
    Booah - destruction - 7/10 Warscrolls
    Booah - order - 2/10 Warscrolls
    ChaosGrobi - Khorne bloodbound - 1/7 warscrolls, jokers used - 1/2
    Darth Alec - Undead - 5/15 Warscrolls
    Djoblo - Stormcast Eternals - 1/10 Warscrolls
    Dunk - Orcs & Goblins and Chaos Warriors - 5/10 Warscrolls, jokers used 0/2
    Elfhead - Slaanesh Chaos - 3/10 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Flipmode - chaos - 0/5 warscrolls
    gogs78 - chaos & aelfs - 1/10 Warscrolls
    Gorthor21 - Stormcast Eternals - 9/20 Warscrolls
    Hagen88 - mortal realms tribe of ghur - 0/4 Warscrolls
    Jullevi - Stormcast Eternal - 0/6 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Jullevi - Khorne Bloodbound - 0/6 Warscrolls
    Kherith - Elves - 2/10 Warscrolls
    Lordmonkey - elves - 3/12 Warscrolls
    Makure - Forces of destruction - 0/10 Warscrolls, jokers used - 1/2
    meet.the.doctor - Orcs & Goblins - 3/10 Warscrolls
    Mr Feral - Skaven/Chaos - 3/10 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Reggiesson - Stormcast eternals - 4/10 Warscrolls
    Roostmanuva - Stormcast, Chaos & Forest Grots - 5/20 Warscrolls
    Shadowmancer - skaven - 1/10 Warscrolls
    SlyRebirth - Stormcast Eternal/Khorne Bloodbound - 8/20 warscrolls, jokers used - 0/2
    Spiney Norman - Khorne Chaos - 8/20 Warscrolls
    Vazalar - Stormcast Eternals/forces of order - 1/10 Warscrolls, 2/2 jokers used
    Versatilebeats - Chaos - 4/12 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Last edited by Spiney Norman; 17-01-2016 at 16:52.
    Warseer's Warhammer General has become like a nerdy Jerry Springer. It's quite entertaining.
    Calling all AoS fans, please consider joining Warseer's first Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters

Veteran Sergeant

SlyRebirth's AoS Stormcast/Khorne - December 2015

MONTHLY TOTAL: 2 Warscrolls (2 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 8 Warscrolls (20 TARGET)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
    Silver armour focus for Stormcast, with blue banners and gold trim. Aiming for bright colours, to contrast with other armies with more natural tones. Khorne will be a mix of red armour and metal.

UNITS:

1 x Knight Azyros
    3 x Prosecutors

BUILD/CONVERSION
    No conversions here. To be honest, I'm not likely to be doing much of this.

PAINTING
    Spray undercoat in white, followed by Nuln Oil wash on all models.
    Armour is silver base coat, followed by Nuln Oil wash and silver highlights.

HIGHS/LOWS
    Lows - I've been a bit distracted since my Archaon arrived, and I've found it hard to concentrate on attention to detail... part of me just wants to get the Stormcast army done
    Highs - I've managed to paint quite a lot extra in base colours, so I've got the jump on future months, which may allow me to complete more than my original target!

PICS

NEXT MONTH

I think next up will be 5 x Judicators and 5 x Decimators. The army looks like it's coming together nicely now, looking forward to a big picture in a couple of months

Chaplain

Orcs & Goblins + Chaos Warriors (10 Warscrolls)
    I suck at commenting on others work, so don't feel like you have to comment on mine

Month - 5 December 2015
    MONTHLY TOTAL: 2 (Target 0.85)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 5
    (Target 10)
    JOKERS PLAYED: 0

Goblin Spider Riders

Goblin Hero/wizard on Giant Spider (weapon/staff magnetized)

(magnetized the goblins so that I can make a forest goblin themed unit if I want )

Brother Sergeant

Hello everybody, first time poster on this project - started a bit late, but hopefully December's work below will make up for that!

Since AoS came out I have more or less kept pace with all the new releases/re-releases, building several small forces along the way. Never intended to do that, just how it worked out, and now I am seeing how long I can sustain the painting vs. GW release schedule! We are also playing through the AoS storyline campaign (just finished all the Battleplans of the first hardback) and so models that need to get done are also dictated by what pops up in the story next.

The Seraphon had a lot of releases but I had set aside the Christmas break to catch up with them and a couple of other bits and pieces;

Seraphon Skinks:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_3226.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	224240

Bigger Seraphon:

Also managed to add some more Beastmen to their growing horde:

And started a Skaven force!

Back to work now so the pace of painting will slow down, but I am pleased I polished this little lot off.

Currently on the painting table and just about to be finished is another unit of Saurus Warriors (with spears this time), a Bastiladon and two Stegadons.

For this month, I am aiming to do three units of Saurus Knights that I grabbed off eBay, a unit of Saurus Guard (the last of the Seraphon units, the army is already larger than I had first intended), and make a start on some Tzeentch Daemons.

Edit: Apologies, cannot see how to delete those thumbnails...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img_3247.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	224241  
    Last edited by Altsain; 04-01-2016 at 08:57.

Chapter Master

Keeping my eye on this thread..... Loving all these greatly painted Warhammer minis.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Spiney's Khornate Chaos - December 2015

MONTHLY TOTAL: 3 Warscrolls (2 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 8 Warscrolls (20 TARGET)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
    My force represents a Khorne bloodbound warband and their daemonic allies that sales around the seas of the mortal realms in their Bloodship Goretide, the flagship of my Man O War Chaos plague fleet. My Mighty Lord of Khorne represents the admiral of the fleet, who is still in need of a better name than 'Khorgos Kul'.

UNIT(S):
    Blood Thirster of Khorne
    Khorgorath
    Blood Secrator

BUILD/CONVERSION
    The blood thirster was built as the Insensate Rage version with the huge axe, the Khorgorath and Bloodsecrator are as they come from the AoS starter set.

PAINTING
    For all three models I followed GW's YouTube 'how to paint...' videos pretty closely, you can find them on the warhammer TV YouTube channel.

HIGHS/LOWS
    Lows - I really can't put off the Dreadfort any longer, January is the month!
    Highs - I feel like I got a lot done this month, even though it was only three models

PICS
    Blood thirster

Blood secrator

Khorgorath

And a bit of an army shot, the tale so far

Next month - getting started on the dreadfort

Darth Alec's Death - December 2015

MONTHLY TOTAL: 1 Warscroll (1.5 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 5 Warscrolls (15 TARGET)

BACKGROUND/THEME:

Fanged mouths opened in silent shock. There he sits. How long has he been there, Mournical wondered.
    "Four hundred years. Four hundred years ago, you swore an oath to me. Do vampires still honor oaths they swore when they still drew breath?" The ancient king did not move, his voice but a whisper on the wind.
    "To protect Stilluna. To guard her gates, her towns and her people. To honor the king. And to drive the forces of Chaos from her bosom. In more poetic verse. I believe it rhymed in a peculiar rythm". Mournical was not expecting King Falcone to be here. They had come back to seek allies and corpses to bolster their army. High Lord Karashock had only come to the palace on suspicion of monsters that could be slain or controlled. Now they stood before a corpse, stuck to a high marble throne. A blade of dark power pulsing gently as it bound the old King to his seat.
    "You know my guardians, oh mighty king? Time and service bind them now to me. But I am sure that we can find spirits in this city who will gladly fight alongside their king once more.", his voice dripped of poisoned venom. "I sense they would follow you to the realm of the dark gods themselves, if you but asked, and had the power to bind their souls to mortal form once more"...
    I though I'd try a new form of fluff today :P

UNIT(S):
    Blood Knights

BUILD/CONVERSION
    Straight up build. Bases are custom though, representing a moon shining, a symbol of the city.

PAINTING
    I tried something unusual for the knights. A grey/light scheme. Wanted something different this time around. It stands out quite a lot in my army.

HIGHS/LOWS
    Lows - Not having the time to finish those archers I was working on. The Blood Knight Banner.
    Highs - Working on freaking Blood Knights!

PICS

Next month - Ushabit, skeletons, perhaps more?[/QUOTE]

Chapter Master

Hello,
    I will post my december and january both in month 6.

Monthly Total:9
    Total to date: 9/40
    Order 2/10 Chaos 0/10 Destruction 7/10 Death 0/10

Great painting all round, I will add further comments after the 10th.

For my part I completed two warscrolls of Order (wood elves) and six warscrolls of Destruction (Night Goblins):

Going to try and get a bit of Death painted up next month and am desperately trying to decide on a scheme for my Seraphon so I can start them

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Spiney Norman View Post
    The blood thirster was built as the Insensate Rage version with the huge axe, the Khorgorath and Bloodsecrator are as they come from the AoS starter set.
    Quick question - how are you doing your bases?

Brother Sergeant

Polished off another two Warscrolls this week - Saurus Warriors (like I need more of these!) and a Bastiladon...

And a quick close up of the Bastiladon (really like this model):

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Altsain View Post
    Polished off another two Warscrolls this week - Saurus Warriors (like I need more of these!) and a Bastiladon...

And a quick close up of the Bastiladon (really like this model):

Bastiladon looks absolutely lovely. Love the paint scheme for the beast and the crystal

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Altsain View Post
    Quick question - how are you doing your bases?
    Same as in previous months slap on a thick coat of Aggrellan Earth and leave to dry, then add grass tufts as desired (I'm intending to add them to my Dec entries, but I need to buy some more next time I go to the hobby store (this weekend).

Shadowmancer's Skaven December 15

Total pledged: 10
    Total Achieved this month: 1
    Total Achieved overall: 1

Background theme: I am thinking of going with a Skaven influx into the Realm of Shadows, not sure how to pull it off with the basing yet.

Unit(s) Completed: Skaven Warlord

Build/Conversion: Pretty standard with the finecast old Skaven Warlord, the only conversion on this model is replacing the dwarf head on a stick with one of the banner tops from the Stormvermin kit.

Painting: I went with the idea that there should not be much in the way of pure colours on the model, for the most part they are mixes, Happy with how the armour turned out which was done with using a series of Brown green and Black mixture washes with the metal colour being overlayed multiple times, sort of inspired by the cover of the 6th ed Skaven Army book.

Highs: Getting it finished apart from the base which I still don't know what I want it to be right now
    Lows: Having Hobby ADD, jumped from the warlord, to a warlock engineer, to a Verminlord Deciever, to Dark Eldar stuff to Eldar stuff to building 3 Gundam HGs.

Pics:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N6BaVmi.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	224465  
    Last edited by Shadowmancer; 08-01-2016 at 22:58.

Gorthor21's Astral Templars (d6-2)

Total Warscrolls Completed (9/20)

Background: The Astral Templar Stormhost is getting ready to storm the realm of beasts in full force in an effort cull an Ironjaws Waaagh!

Painting: I noticed cleaner highlights the second unit of liberators. On my furture units I am thinking of making them a different warrior chamber or one of the elite chambers in the Astral Templars. Im not sure what colors to use. Ill do some tests on some liberatorprimes i have left over.

Sorry guys,

I haven't posted here for the last two months. It was a really busy time and I had to drop painting for a while. I think, I will not be able to meet the schedule in the future either, but I'll try and I'd be glad to post my work here nevertheless. Blood Warriors finally incoming.

Ah, and btw: good old Father Christmas blessed me with some nice new minis. So, a load of work to do

Happy to new year to all of you and keep up the good work. I really appreciate it!
    currently listening to while painting: Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats - Witch - UFO 2 - Kyuss

monthly total 1 done 3 total 4/12

Finished my ogre and Nurgle lords on demonic steeds and got a lot of modeling completed.

Highs: Christmas!!!!! Glottkin, plague bearers, nurglings, festus, lord of plagues, sorcerer, lots of paint!

Lows: none

Wip for the month:

Ogre butcher with the Nurgle lords (last month was a tyrant)

Amazing work by all in the group I will follow up with comments on everyone's work. Needless to say this thread has been a big inspiration.

Side note: since I joined in November I should still have 2 joker left right?
    Last edited by Versatilebeats; 11-01-2016 at 22:02. Reason: Add pic

Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters month 5 (Dec completed & Jan WiP)

So I have only managed a single model over Christmas to take it to a total of 5 warsscrolls. This guy is a model from the Arcworlde range and is only pinned to base so that I can use in both games.

Here he is with his mates too give a size comparison, I think he makes quite a fetching war boss.

I have also junglefied some terrain pieces to fit with the warband.

I am currently painting some stormcast to match the elves posted in earlier threads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Roostmanuva; 12-01-2016 at 11:52.

Feral's Skaven (and others) - January 2016 (D6 roll = 3)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 1 Warscroll (of 1)
    RUNNING TOTAL: 3 Warscrolls (of 10)

THEME: The Skaven of Clan Septik are a thrall clan in service to the greater Clan Pestilens - fanatical and adorned with the rustiest weapons and armour.

UNIT(S): 2 Skaven Rat Ogors

BUILD / CONVERSIONS: Aside from the usual buboes, some spikes protruding from the flesh, added more fur as well as a scratch-built Warpfire Gun for one of them.

PAINTING: As per my Skaven done last month.

HIGHS: The first one (with the Warpfire Gun) was fun to do. Adding that unhealthy warpstone glow is always fun to do, playing around with garish greens and yellow glazes.

LOWS: The second one wasn't so fun, it stayed in a near completed state over the holidays and I had to force myself to finish it.

NEXT MONTH: Paitning Tretch Craventail and building more Clanrats and some recently purchased Stormvermin!
    http://circusofpaint.wordpress.com

Participating in the Tale of Age of Sigmar 2015 - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LokkoRex View Post
    ...seems like everything Mister Feral do turns 24-carat hobby gold.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast