Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Little Joe's projects united

Re: Little Joe's projects united

The Arcworlde stuff is excellent. The bases really make them stand out.

As far as painting horses go, I've always found this guide handy (even if it is a bit out of date now with paint names). Yours are looking great but I thought it might be useful!

Doi

Let me start by apologizing for replying late as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyMilla View Post
    Have you played the Arcworlde rules? Any thoughts?

Nice work on the wood elves (or should I call them Aelfs?)
    Sadly I only ever played the versions before it got printed. I do plan on playing games with the current rules.
    And it is firmly elf territory here.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Jacka View Post
    Great Golem and the mounted Elves are excellent.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    The Arcworlde stuff is excellent. The bases really make them stand out.

As far as painting horses go, I've always found this guide handy (even if it is a bit out of date now with paint names). Yours are looking great but I thought it might be useful!

Doi
    Awesome, thanks for the link, horses were the hardest organic surface so far. It somehow needs to be cleaner and allows for less cheating.
    my general project thread

[2016] painted: 24, added to my collection after sales and trades: 5
    [2017] painted: 25, added to my collection after sales and trades: -127

I did some hobby as should be obvious by the signature counter. Over a year ago I started to more closely define my collection. While there is still a lot I might never work on, it feels a lot better now. I do not mind spare parts and options for future projects.

Some got axed, like the DOW army, hence the large negative number. The reason is that I collected a small Bretonnian army last year and one human army is enough.

I will get some miniature images soon-ish. For now, let me bug you with last weekends progress on my board. It has been an ongoing project for years now. Most of the time it spends in a corner with a piece of cloth on top.
    Sometimes it takes ages for ideas to get fleshed out in my head. That and the flocking takes quite some time. It took me most of a weekend to add 4 types of flock due to drying times (sunny weekend helped a lot).

The images were taken with flash, it helps to show different color patches. It does not help with showing the real colors. Next sunny day I will make some non flash images.

First step was to add the taller grasses, here the yellow, I also added dark green ones. Puddle of thick wood glue (PVA) and push in a bunch. While you can buy them, this ensures a far better adhesion. Just takes a few hours and is great practice for basing.

Then I added a layer of dark flock. I dabbed thinned PVA glue (2 parts water to one art glue) to model the roads and start to blend into the swamp quarter of the board. The I sprinkled on flock and made corrections with a small brush. The glue tends to settle in puddles and you get round patches. Some Brushwork helps to blend and make it all uneven.
    Then I sprayed it with a layer of thinned down PVA (4 parts water to one art glue) and put it in the sun. This extra step helps to seal it for the rougher wear and tear of gaming.

Next day I did the same with a very bright short static grass. The reason for going bright is that I can easily tone down with washes, brightening up is much harder.

Like I said before, the blend in real life looks a lot better. Especially on the last layer of static grass I did a lot of blending with the brush on the edges and most bigger patches. The board is not evenly flocked, this is done on purpose. Town, swamp and cemetery have their own "theme". Blending over helps to make it one.

I am happy the board withstood all the vacuum cleaning and rough brushing, some very minor repairs had to be done.

This puts this project at about 90% done. Some detailing work, a decision on more bushes (probably not, a game will tell) and finishing touches.
    Last edited by Little Joe; 11-04-2017 at 08:18.

Maybe a bit of background, almost 4.5 years ago I started this project. It spent most of the time collecting dust or under a protective blanket. Every time I made enough progress to feel that I could tackle a task and time came up, it got done (more or less). I learned a lot from the research and execution as I went along and I think it is my way. I do not mind the time it took. A word of warning, the amount of work needed is slightly insane, so I will build at least a second board.

I did start with a lot of thinking and planning regarding storage and playability. This obviously is not modular, the size is 90x90cm, so it is not small. I kind of designed it with two crosses in mind, this gives you 9 (themed) positions to start from. The height difference and extra terrain features I could add by not making it modular were more important to me at the end.

It started like this:

Which became this:

As you can see a lot changed along the way. I used a lot of Styrofoam and materials bought along the way. For one, I knew I could never match the buildings from Tabletop World, so I bought them. The house higher up got a basement as well. And probably most notably a twin tailed comet was crashed in the center.

And so years later, I am still not finished but very happy that the idea I had back then is slowly becoming a real gaming board. It is already at a stage where I want to test it in games. See if my ideas about line of sight worked and where I need to tweak.

Here are some more detailed images:

I hope you like it so far. Colors in the shadow are closest to what it looks like under artificial light.
    Last edited by Little Joe; 11-04-2017 at 17:51.

So what is next?

For this project it is the basements. Here are 2 of them, the ones seen on the initial board.

The idea for them originated from a White Dwarf scenario for the witch hunter Johan van Hal and Wilhelm Hasburg. Later on, I added a third basement under the house on the walled hill.

The first one is basically done on the inside. The larger Mausoleum needs some painting on the lower level and some detailing to make it look more interesting since I have enough space (a ladder to climb down and some stuff for a ritual). Both need at least poison ivy on the outside.
    The house on the hill will need the most work, it needs an unhinged door and some kind of storage purpose. Possibly a trap door, something to better fix the house in place.

All buildings and roofs are magnetized with a peg to keep them in place. This is done so I can add a lid with wheels on one of the 4 side panels and store it on its side where it will have a lot less surface.
    I never weighed it, but the whole board is very light and easy to carry for me ( I am tall, long arms help). Once it has a full box, it needs grips of sorts, make it super easy for 2 to handle it.

Cool looking board! Really nice how it has progressed and grown- I like all the touches of walls and steps and the tabletop world houses are great [been tempted myself]. Been thinking about a table myself- half thinking of buying a Realm of Battle board [not wild about the age of sigmar one] but it is a bit pricey. Is yours made of a styrofoam/insulation foam board or is it mounted on something? I'm thinking insulation board is doable and light for carrying, I have some MDF boards but they are so heavy.
    My random painting log- Dwarfs, Nids and VC - updated with Kharadrons! 01/05/17
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142003

CADIA STANDS! For The Emperor! For St Pius!

LJ,

Some awesome terrain here mate. Great looking fixed terrain and I am impressed with the detail.
    Colonel Jacka
    12th Cadian Mech Regt (Orphan Brigade)
    Battle Group Imperators Aegis

CADIA STANDS!! All Hail St Pius! (RHUF)
    Posted by Rhaivaen "I think some of you are way to nonchalant about this subject."

Quote Originally Posted by silverstu View Post
    Cool looking board! Really nice how it has progressed and grown- I like all the touches of walls and steps and the tabletop world houses are great [been tempted myself]. Been thinking about a table myself- half thinking of buying a Realm of Battle board [not wild about the age of sigmar one] but it is a bit pricey. Is yours made of a styrofoam/insulation foam board or is it mounted on something? I'm thinking insulation board is doable and light for carrying, I have some MDF boards but they are so heavy.
    Styrofoam in a wooden box. Lots of initial cursing because it is all just glued together, yet without screws I could further reduce the weight. I got 5mm MDF with one side white, the stuff you see in kitchen cupboards but thinner.
    The reason I put wood under it is to get a bit of overhang to fit and rest the lid on (once I try that again).

Once sand is added and treated with a thinned down coat of PVA glue (3:1) the top surface is rock hard. You will actually need the flock to make it comfy to rest your hand on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Jacka View Post
    LJ,

Some awesome terrain here mate. Great looking fixed terrain and I am impressed with the detail.
    Thank you

Yesterday I did some first experiments with press molds. I used them for the headband on this test miniature.

At first I tried adding a scabbard, but it was too much armor and less looked better. The head is slightly large. I will add a bit of greenstuff on top to make it higher. I do think the size fits with the height of the miniature and is ok compared to the tomb guard, ehm necropolis guard ...

Not bad for a salvage project.

Day 2 of just going ahead done and it was a good day. The difference a nose makes ...

Now it fits a Warhammer Fantasy creature in a way. A nose, cloven hooves and a big top hat later I think I finally know where to take this. With the other 4 bodies cleaned and started, this project is getting up to speed. I love kit-bashing but the glue fumes were a bit too much.

Already checking the old army book for top hats. I think I finally understand why they are good. It is the surface and shapes to have fun with. The banner bearer will get a skull helm though, in accordance with the necropolis guard look. Time for day 3.

A quick update after a lot of cleaning mold lines and sculpting sessions.

Magnetized, based and ready to paint.

I wanted all to have quivers and a bow somewhere, so I used some goblin wolf rider equipment. I did not have enough parts from the Khemri sprue an from experience, a bow and quiver take up too much space if you use 2 parts. Second image is the "me playing" view, I think with the quivers there is enough detail to not make the boring to look at.
    Helmets are pretty clean of clutter, I did not like the skulls or arrows on them within this army. I will try painting, then and if it fails to meet expectations, sculpt again. The helmet in the middle is ballpoint parts, one of those pens you get a lot for free.

With regards to press molds, the stuff I used gets pretty solid. That does not help getting it out of the mold. I used greenstuff and Milliput, of the 2 I liked Milliput best. Easier to work on and sharper lines, but a lot harder to get out of the mold.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2