Thread: SuperHappyTime’s Great 8th Edition Homage

SuperHappyTime’s Great 8th Edition Homage

Fair warning that this may begin as a lengthy post. Mostly it's history, motivation, more than a dozen lists, and little M&P progress (that will change later).

Current Progress: List-Building -> Purchasing -> Modeling -> Painting -> Enjoyment

Over the course of the past two-three years, I fell in love with Warhammer Fantasy. It became one of those "I must have everything" hobbies. I collected Battalion boxes primarily during the early part of 2014, just to get a toehold into the hobby. Then came The End Times (which I mostly loved) and then the Age of Sigmar, which discarded a game that had into my personal obsession. It took three months to get over the initial shock, and another three months to sort out my opinion on the AoS topic (like the game as a game, but dislike the fluff and abhor GW's policies and public relations). Last October (2015), I decided to dedicate my hobbying time to a homage to the game I didn't get a chance to play.

Thus my Great 8th Edition Homage was born.

*I'll also include a number of other Fantasy hobby projects here as well. I have been into Super Dungeon Explore for a while and since getting my girlfriend interested in the game, both of us are taking cracks at painting the model sets.

Project History:
    From Late October-Early December 2015, I stated the project goals, began, and then finished the List-Building stage.
    From Christmas 2015/February 2016, I have been going full force with the Purchasing stage. With GW's recent deletion of an army, this stage has been slightly escalated (the inner voice that wants to buy a house next year has been having a meltdown).
    Today (Feb 23, 2016), I begin to track my project's modeling and painting progress here on Warseer.

Project Guidelines:
    I'm looking to finish an approximately 1,000 point army for each of the main 14 factions (minus Daemons, which will receive 4 ~500 point armies for each of the Chaos Gods)
    Points are based on the unit's Base Cost, so upgrades and weapon choices are not taken into account.
    -Excepting Daemons, each 1,000 point list is a scaled-down version of 2,400 point lists from several tournaments events that occurred within a year of the end of 8th Edition's run.
    --Every 1,000 point list contains the equivalent Heroes in place of the Lords.
    --These Heroes are on foot, even though their 2400 point equal was on a mount.
    -Daemon Lists are enough Core choices to pay the "tax", a Herald, and two other special/rare choices. Some are more than 500 points, and some cross the line of being "legal".
    --Daemons as a faction get a Daemon Prince, and are meant to be played as a mix of the four gods + DP.
    -Warriors of Chaos are built as a non-aligned faction.
    -Although most armies were built with a Core Tax, it was ignored in army building.
    -Several armies that built themselves on having hordes have been quite downsized.
    -Upgrades (Characters, Different Weapons) are getting ignored for the point count

Currently Working On:
    -Looking for some critique on the army lists. They are entirely intended to be undersized tournament lists more than a competitive or fluffy 1,000 point list.
    -The Purchasing Stage is quickly reaching it's end. Having a list critique would ensure this step reaches it's end quickly.
    -Dwarfs were my first real army, and are one of the first armies collected and already have assembled. I am currently in the painting stage with them.
    -As mentioned above, I've started painting models from my Super Dungeon Explore Set.
    Last edited by SuperHappyTime; 24-02-2016 at 04:18.
    Proudly servicing the Warseer community with eccentric, if not foolhardy comments since December 30th, 2013.

My 8th Edition Homage (and SDE) Blog

Re: SuperHappyTime’s Great 8th Edition Homage

Army Lists and Full Project Progress
    Here is the status of my Project so far, broken down by army

Beastmen Army List - 990 Points

Bretonnia Army List - 973 Points

Chaos Daemons Army List - 2333 Points

Dark Elves Army List - 989 Points

Dwarfs Army List - 995 Points

Empire Army List - 999 Points

High Elves Army List - 1030 Points

Lizardmen Army List - 1005 Points

Ogre Kingdoms Army List - 992 Points

Orcs and Goblins Army List - 990 Points

Skaven Army List - 993 Points

Tomb Kings Army List - 993 Points

Vampire Counts Army List - 996 Points

Warriors of Chaos Army List - 1025 Points

Wood Elves Army List - 980 Points
    Last edited by SuperHappyTime; 25-03-2016 at 17:15.
    Proudly servicing the Warseer community with eccentric, if not foolhardy comments since December 30th, 2013.

February 23, 2016
    Time to show some actual progress:
    This is the Dwarf army that has become the first to entirely reach the Painting Stage:

This weekend I began to apply paint to the Hammerers:

Finally, my other painting was geared toward Super Dungeon Explore (Got a game in this weekend), the Deeproot Wolf Rider:

May you finish your project goals way faster than I can with mine

SDE Wolf Rider - Are you planning to add a sculpted blanket roll (shown in KS model, but is missing in the released version), putty to smooth the back of the wolf, or leave as is?
    Warseer Project Log - The Four Heroes Project Log
    General Hobby Blog - Four Heroes Project Blog

March 3-6, 2016
    Between being busy at work (out of town), I also managed to come down with the Flu, which actually gave me the chance to work on this project.

Assembly was the name of the game this time around. First was the Skull Cannon of Khorne, then a Steam Tank:

Next came more Daemons; Bloodcrushers and Plague Drones:

Finally, I cracked into my scantily assembled Tomb Kings box and built a few things. Skeleton Horse Archers, Skeleton Archers, and Skeleton Warriors for Vampire Counts (Skeleton Chariots later):

Just a little painting, only Super Dungeon Explore:

The White Kinoshroom is the final product for the other seven, while the others are my works in progress. The Deeproot Wolf Rider is finished as well. As for the lack of a backpack, I took a shot at freehand:

Hope everyone's projects are making progress!

The SDE stuff creeps me out. It's the eyes I think, they keep looking at me as I am scrolling by.

The warhammer project is suitably ambitious. Best of luck to you!

It's an interesting project. Not sure I would have chosen to base my lists around tournament ones, though. I probably would have focused on sampling as much as I could from each race in the space allowed.

Is there a particular reason why some of the models are on round bases when this is an 8th edition homage?

Quote Originally Posted by Naitsabes View Post
    The SDE stuff creeps me out. It's the eyes I think, they keep looking at me as I am scrolling by.

The warhammer project is suitably ambitious. Best of luck to you!
    I'm pretty sure they're watching me too. That's why I keep them in the box ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodling View Post
    It's an interesting project. Not sure I would have chosen to base my lists around tournament ones, though. I probably would have focused on sampling as much as I could from each race in the space allowed.

Is there a particular reason why some of the models are on round bases when this is an 8th edition homage?
    I'm already making changes to lists on the fly to armies. (Like the one I'm making below). I started with tournament lists as somewhat of a jump off point for what I would want to buy. I didn't get in many 8th games as I would have liked. I liked the game, but I knew nothing as to what worked well, thus start with the tournament lists I could still find.

I didn't get the 50x100 or 3 50x75 squares in the sets I bought via eBay (hooray!). None of them are glued yet either (minus the pegs to the round bases on the Drones), and I am likely going to keep both kinds for 40K as well (I'm buying that many daemons after all).

Anyway, Update Time!:
    I've been working on Tomb Kings and have made a small change to the Armylist: -1 Skeleton Chariot, +12 Skeleton Warriors. Looking at the armylists again, I found there wasn't really anywhere for the Tomb Prince to go that was correct (The Tomb King/Prince if used was never placed on a Chariot, but usually with Skeletons or Tomb Guard. Since I wasn't dropping enough points for the Guard, the Skeletons I already had won out)

I thought I would start posting army progress pics too, and I'll do this with everyone during the next update(s))

The Casket and latest Screaming Skull Catapult are presently sitting in the boxes in the back awaiting assembly. I hate the hell out of superglue and finecast models, and the SSC appears to go together incredibly poorly too. In the back right corner, you can see an older SSC that was present in the 4th Edition Undead book standing in for the time being.

Finally, I have completed the purchasing stage for everything (still waiting on two things to arrive though...), so only modeling and painting is left to come!

Wishing you the best of luck in your own endeavors,
    -SuperHappyTime

I was trying to amend my initial list posting with images for each of my 15 armies. However this got cut short because the number of images per post is locked at 10 a post.

So for now, I'm stuck with just directing you to my album: http://imgur.com/a/mYWhR

I'd stay up for another hour to discuss recent changes I have/will be making, bit it's 2AM here and I need to go to bed.

-SuperHappyTime

Very very interesting. I am working on something similar but to work with the rules from the 9th age. It looks like you are all set up to go on for a while on this interesting journey.

As to the posts, just cannibalise your first and if needed third post to make it all work.

Great work so far.
    my general project thread

[2016] painted: 24, added to my collection after sales and trades: 5
    [2017] painted: 25, added to my collection after sales and trades: -127

Great project! Looking forward to see it progress