Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Of Mists and Shadows

Chapter Master Morglum Necksnapper's Avatar

Of Mists and Shadows

I am in the process of making a 5000 point undead army based around two old familiar Warhammer characters: Heinrich Kemmler the Lichemaster and Krell lord of the undead.

The army wonít be tweaked for good winning chances, in a tourney type of environment this army will probably end highest on the list, if you weíre to hold the list upside down that is.

Iíll be converting and painting this army with a different view in mind. A stoic, almost floating army of the unliving approaching, deadly (well sort of) and silent. None of that decadent vampire stuff or corpse cart gore. Not that I donít like that, but I want to try something different.

I have lots of Battle Masters miniatures, and from these miniatures I will turn the Chaos Warriors into Grave Guard (with halberds and shields, not allowed in the list but hey, thatís what the miniís have) and the Chaos Knights into Black Knights. As core choice, I will use only Skeleton Warriors. I will use some unitfillers in the form of gravestones.

The idea behind it is these will all be the defenders of a tomb of a once mighty king. Buried in the tomb with their king, in undead they stood vigilant for all those centuries. Now, Heinrich Kemmler has found the tomb. There, hidden in a long forgotten graveyard in a far corner of the northern Worldedge Mountains, the army just got recruted. The guardians of old, now bound by the will of the Lichemasterís dark magic, form a new army for the lichemaster.

The army wonít have any of the really killy stuff, like vampires or vargheist or anything like that.

Here are few shots of the beginning of the project.

the Chaos Warriors to be used as Grave Guard

The Chaos Knights to be used as Black Knights

I will put the army on snow bases, wonít be totally white, as I want the army to appear to be in the twillight, maybe early dusk. So Iíll try to make convincing snowbases that are off white. The black knights have etheral horses, I wil paint the snowcolor on the underside of the horses to get an ethereal effect.

Re: Of Mists and Shadows

I am much looking forward to this! Good luck!
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

I love the Battle Master figs. I spread out my two sets worth through four of my different armies. Can't wait to see the conversions.
    Come check out all my fantasy content!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thegoss..._as=subscriber

What happened to me today was something extraordinary. I swear Iím telling the truth.

As I was looking for some skeleton models for the army, I saw an undead army for sale. That army looked so familiar. Guess what, it was my own undead army I sold 15 years ago to someone in England and heís now selling it back to me. He lived in Ireland and now lives back in Holland again, but doesnít play Warhammer anymore.

Can you imagine the coincidence? Just three days ago I decided to start an Undead army again and in the same week heís selling my old army. What a wonderful start of this plog. Iím flabbergasted. I regretted selling the army so much back then. As if the army has itís own will. As if some great power is at work here, could it be Nagash? He does manipulate Heinrich Kemmler in finding the tomb of Krell.

For all you more earthed people out there, here are some pictures of the army on the dutch ebay called Marktplaats as proof the story is not full of poo.

Also here two digital sketches of the color sceme I had in mind for the grave guard. I also shortened the halberd and made the blade a lot smaller. The blade can also be pivoted on the shaft for some variety. This way the Graveguard has a handweapon shiled combination, which not only gives them a perry save and makes the model 1 point cheaper, but is also 8th edition legal.

That is not a coincidence. That is fate! Pure and simple.
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Daniel36 I guess it is fate.

This is work in progress on Krell, I used an old miniature I had and real cloth for his cape. I like the idea of this army beeing led by wightlords and necromancers only. But I'n not sure I can resist the temptation of using vampires later on. This miniature was probably inspired by the wight lord from the movie Army of Darkness, and I like to have that movie on in the background when I'm working on this army.

Heinrich Kemmler. The basic miniature is a long bearded wizard, manufacturer unknown to me at the moment. From my old undeadminiatures I got on the mail this week, the top of his staff was all that was left of the original miniature I once had. I remembered I used his hat for a night goblin and after some searching I found the hat in use by a nightgoblin shaman lord on palanquin. I 'borrowed' it back and all it needs now is a brim. I think the hat is very recognisable as Heinrichs. He has a chaos rune sword, so I used a sword with a Slaanesh mark on it, seems fitting

Zombies (painted 20 years ago)

Grave Guard

This is looking great! I look forward following it.

Nice start on a great looking army.
    my general project thread

[2018] painted: 5, added to my collection: 4

I've assembled the black knights. Next step will be to greenstuff minor detail and unwanted gaps, getting the models to fit next to each other and base them. Then it's time for painting.

5 black knights with a hellknight upgrade

one wight king with 7 black knights with full command upgrade

one wight king with 7 black knights with full command upgrade

two wight kings (one with the army battle standard) with 10 black knights with full command upgrade

Will definitely be following this! I really like the background and theme you have chosen and look forward to the results. The choice of mainly wights and skeletons I like as well. And that army find! Such providence incredible.

The horse head swaps definitely help change the chaos knights to look more suited for your undead army!
    Warseer Project Log - The Four Heroes Project Log
    General Hobby Blog - Four Heroes Project Blog

Hi guys. I finished the first unit of 5 Black Knights. First photo's I took since over a year, so I'm not really satisfied with that. Will work on that, trying to make a sort of photobooth in a closet. The guy in the middle with his lance pointing forward is the champion called a Hell Knight.

Cool Zombie Dragon! Repurposing that head is a rad idea. I'd like to see more angles on it.

Hello, 'ere we go again with the undead. I’m painting all the undead trooptypes needed for the Sigmar's Blood Campaign. Sigmar's Blood is a Warhammer fantasy battles 8th edition campaign book. I’m glad I went with the snowbases, as it makes the atmosphere even more creepy and shall we say ‘chilly’?

Battle scroll: Ghorst's Night Stalkers.

The necromancer Helman Ghorst. With the cursed book. I converted the model from a chaos sorcerer. He is mounted on a Corpse Cart made from an old undead chariot, with some Heroquest zombies pulling the cart.

The feasters in the Dusk
    20 Crypt Ghouls includes a Crypt Ghast. I usedsome LotR goblin models for this unit combined with the plastic crypt ghoul miniatures.

The Konigstein Stalkers.
    20 Skeleton Warriors with hand weapons, light armour and shields with full command (the standard bearer is an old familiar model with the candle as a standard.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast