Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters months 6 & 7 (Jan & Feb completed, Mar WiP)

Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters months 6 & 7 (Jan & Feb completed, Mar WiP)

Hi everyone, please note due to the lengthy period of downtime the site experienced earlier this month we are combining months 6 & 7 together this time around.

Welcome to the Tale of Age of Sigmar Painters 2015-2016!

What is the Tale all about?
    The goal of the Tale of Painters is to get an army fully painted within the next 12 months.

Because of the fluid nature of the AoS system your army can be as large or as small as you wish it to be, for the purposes of the tale we will measure army size in warscrolls (though if you wish to pattern your army after one of the fan-made comp. packs that are available or even points values based on a previous edition of warhammer fantasy battle please feel free).

Your army theme is your own, if you want to draw scrolls from multiple factions/Grand Alliances or even include terrain warscrolls then that is your prerogative, let your creativity run wild!

Your target is to paint roughly 10% of your army each month. For example, if you've chosen an army of 20 Warscrolls then your monthly target would be 2 warscrolls. The Tale runs for one year (September 2015 to August 2016), so if you stick to your 10% monthly target then you'll only need to paint for 10 months of the year.

To cover the months when you can't/don't paint, you get 2 Jokers. You can play a Joker at any time (provided you haven't used them both up!), which essentially means that you don't have to meet your target for that month. They can used for real life events (such as births, deaths, marriages, exams, holidays) or if you're just having a bad/slow month. If you use a Joker then feel free to post a suitable image instead (of a Joker or something funny).

What is this thread all about?
    This thread is for completed work from the previous month (sept) and later, for work in progress (WIP) shots of what you a working on for this month. Please do not post any completed work for this month in this thread.

Feel free to post any WIP pictures of what you're going to be painting this month, army lists, background stories, battle reports, questions, and comments on anyone else's posts. You can post as little or as much as you like in the thread, but please keep it WIP. Do not post any completed work for this month until after the next thread opens at the start of next month.

Things to note
    1. It's not too late!
    If you want to join the Tale midway through that's absolutely fine, just post on this thread with the army/faction/Grand Alliance/theme of the force you are building and the goal (preferably in warscrolls) that you want to work towards and I will add you to the roster.

2. FAQ
    The original sign up thread and Tale FAQ can be found here >> http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...Sign-up-thread

If you have any further questions please ask them, either by posting them below, or by shooting me a PM

3. Commenting on other peoples work
    Now is the time to post pics of your completed work for Jan & Feb, it would be great to spur each other on with lots of encouraging and constructive comments. Later in the month, once everyone has posted their completed work (usually around the 10th) I would encourage everyone to put up some comments for the other participants in the tale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Konovalev View Post
    Warseer's Warhammer General has become like a nerdy Jerry Springer. It's quite entertaining.
    Calling all AoS fans, please consider joining Warseer's first Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters

Re: Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters months 6 & 7 (Jan & Feb completed, Mar WiP)

Altsain - various AoS releases - 77/All the Warscrolls
    Artoris - Skaven - 2/10 Warscrolls
    beastofnurgle - Nurgle Chaos - 9/10 warscrolls
    Booah - Death - 0/10 Warscrolls
    Booah - chaos - 0/10 Warscrolls
    Booah - destruction - 10/10 Warscrolls
    Booah - order - 5/10 Warscrolls
    ChaosGrobi - Khorne bloodbound - 1/7 warscrolls, jokers used - 1/2
    Darth Alec - Undead - 5/15 Warscrolls
    Djoblo - Stormcast Eternals - 1/10 Warscrolls
    Dunk - Orcs & Goblins and Chaos Warriors - 5/10 Warscrolls, jokers used 0/2
    Elfhead - Slaanesh Chaos - 5/10 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Flipmode - chaos - 0/5 warscrolls
    gogs78 - chaos & aelfs - 1/10 Warscrolls
    Gorthor21 - Stormcast Eternals - 10/20 Warscrolls
    Hagen88 - mortal realms tribe of ghur - 0/4 Warscrolls
    Jullevi - Stormcast Eternal - 0/6 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Jullevi - Khorne Bloodbound - 0/6 Warscrolls
    Kherith - Elves - 2/10 Warscrolls
    Lordmonkey - elves - 3/12 Warscrolls
    Makure - Forces of destruction - 0/10 Warscrolls, jokers used - 1/2
    meet.the.doctor - Orcs & Goblins, Khorne bloodbound - 8/10 Warscrolls
    Mr Feral - Skaven/Chaos - 3/10 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Reggiesson - Stormcast eternals - 4/10 Warscrolls
    Roostmanuva - Stormcast, Chaos & Forest Grots - 8/20 Warscrolls
    Shadowmancer - skaven - 1/10 Warscrolls
    SlyRebirth - Stormcast Eternal/Khorne Bloodbound - 8/20 warscrolls, jokers used - 0/2
    Spiney Norman - Khorne Chaos - 9/20 Warscrolls
    Vazalar - Stormcast Eternals/forces of order - 1/10 Warscrolls, 2/2 jokers used
    Versatilebeats - Chaos - 4/12 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Last edited by Spiney Norman; 31-03-2016 at 15:18.
    Warseer's Warhammer General has become like a nerdy Jerry Springer. It's quite entertaining.
    Calling all AoS fans, please consider joining Warseer's first Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters

Gorthor21's Astral Templars(10/20)-5 on d6

Background: My purple Giants have not grown in number too much but I made the decision to expand into a different chamber of the stormhost. I don't quite know which chamber they are quite yet but they will mostly consist of Paladins and a "veteran" liberators unit.

P&M: My lord celestant on dracoth will lead this chamber and shows their color scheme with the cream colored surfaces intermixed with the purple, most notably the chest plate and the larger surfaces on the greaves and gauntlets. My March and April additions of liberators and protectors will be done up in this color scheme. I didn't quite get a chance to finish my unit of judicators last month due to work, a wedding and a cross-country move to the city of Las Vegas but now that everything has settled down I intend on finishing the judicators and working on my last unit of liberators. My hobby funds are going to be stretched thin these next couple of months so I'm not going to be buying too many new units in the meantime.

Now that Warseer is back I hope to see everyone from before the crash come back with gusto and thanks Spiney for giving me a reason to stay with this hobby by making this thread.

With studying abroad and my painting stuff across the Atlantic I can't commit for certain but I like popping in and seeing the hobby Progress. Looks great so far, lots of folks participating and can't wait to see the variety in Stormcasts themes. I wonder how the aelfs will look.

Chapter Master

I am currently putting my AoS stuff on hold.

Keep up the good work!

Think I must have missed a month, so got three scrolls to show this time!

Completed my Doombull shortly after Christmas, followed by my Chaos Lord, and just recently finished a unit of Ungors!

Check my blog in sig for WIPs and painting methods etc!

This month I'm working on more Beastmen as I've really found a colour scheme I enjoy painting! Got a Beastlord and a unit of Bestigors on the way!

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by beastzofnurgle View Post
    Completed my Doombull shortly after Christmas,
    Managed to snag a Doombull myself earlier this week - I'll have to get him on the painting table soon...

Anyway, all Warscrolls since Warseer went down? Really? I better give the potted version...

Two Warscrolls for the Mighty Skullcrushers and a Mighty Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut:

And another for Warriors of Chaos done in Khorne colours - basically failed Blood Warriors, I have imagined...

Back to the Seraphon with an Eternity Warden and his Saurus Guard (these guys are real sods to kill!):

Had a change of pace with a Daemon Prince of Tzeentch:

And Pink Horrors:

More Seraphon for a complete Firelance Starhost (four Warscrolls, with the Scar-Veteran!):

And I have seriously increased the size of Clan Snikkit with a Warlord on a Brood Horror:

Clan Eshin Assassins:

Three Weapon Teams:

A mob of Globadiers (sorry, Skryre Acolytes):
    40k and Age of Sigmar Blog - A Tabletop Gamer's Diary: https://ttgamingdiary.wordpress.com/

Mongoose Publishing: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/

Brother Sergeant

A Doomwheel:

And Stormvermin:

Rounded off with some Screamers of Tzeentch:

So that makes, umm (*counts on fingers*), 22 more Warscrolls.

I don't have a problem. I can control this habit. I swear...
    40k and Age of Sigmar Blog - A Tabletop Gamer's Diary: https://ttgamingdiary.wordpress.com/

Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters months 6 & 7 (Jan & Feb completed, Mar WiP)

I had to put off painting minis for couple months, but I am coming back to the Tale if it is possible(that would make 4 jokers, right? Can someone lend me some?). I have finished the giant, shaman and 2 fanatics in november and stopped on squig gobba and another 10 gobbos in december. I'll post pictures on weekend.
    Right now I am starting to paint my Khorne Bloodbound to start winning some games, because the greenskinz are beeing slain every time they go to war. So I can add some Khorne goals too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gorthor21 loving those Stormcast, they are a huge influence on my own upcoming stormcast project. Its just the starter set and the hornblower guy so far but i have visions of 50 blokes making up a whatver that formation is called with 3 units of liberators amd 2 lots of shooty blokes.

Altsain as a fellow swindonian I salute you, all those models look better than the over-polished eavy metal ones! The change to round bases is by far my favourite thing about AoS and seeing all those models with room to breathe is great inspiration to crack on with my own stuff (i havent rebased anything yet but the urge is growing every time i look at this thread!)
    Marius Stormwrought

Lord-Celestant of The Stormwrought, Warrior Chamber of the Astral Avengers Stormhost

Re: Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters

Quote Originally Posted by meet.the.doctor View Post
    I had to put off painting minis for couple months, but I am coming back to the Tale if it is possible(that would make 4 jokers, right? Can someone lend me some?). I have finished the giant, shaman and 2 fanatics in november and stopped on squig gobba and another 10 gobbos in december. I'll post pictures on weekend.
    Right now I am starting to paint my Khorne Bloodbound to start winning some games, because the greenskinz are beeing slain every time they go to war. So I can add some Khorne goals too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah, no problem, welcome back

My entry for the last two months is only one warscroll, I've got a big academic project whose deadline is approaching so I've not had masses of time for painting. I will hopefully find the time to put out some character scrolls over the next couple of months though.

Anyway, here goes, the beginnings of my dreadfort

Spiney's Khornate Chaos - Jan & Feb 2016

MONTHLY TOTAL: 1 War scrolls (4 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 9 Warscrolls (20 TARGET)

UNIT(S):
    Malefic Gate

BUILD/CONVERSION
    Out of the box

PAINTING
    Red
    Spray on base coat with GW Khorne red
    Shade with Nuln oil
    Dry brush with Khorne red
    Dry brush with wazzdakka red
    Lightly dryrush with evil Suns scarlet
    Glaze with blood letter

Brass
    Basecoat with brass scorpion
    Shade with agrax earthshade
    Careful dry brush with sycorax bronze
    Fine Edge highlight with runefang steel

Grey
    Basecoat with adeptus battle grey (yes I still have some)
    Shade with Nuln oil
    Selective highlights with dawnstone

Skulls
    Basecoat with rakarth flesh
    Shade with seraphim sepia
    (Very) Careful drybrush with tyrant skull.

Steel
    Basecoat with boltgun metal (I still have some of that too)
    Shade with agrax earthshade
    Highlight with chainmail
    Fine edge highlight with runefang steel

Then I annointed the top of the 'horns' with a very thick layer of blood for the blood god

HIGHS/LOWS
    Lows - it was an absolute grind, I won't deny
    Highs - It's finally done, and I love it, now I'm conflicted, on the one hand I love the finished product so much it just screams at me to buy more and expand the fort, on the other hand I've been mentally scarred by the process of actually painting the damn thing, so more is definitely not on the cards at the moment.

PICS

Little update after 4 months...

meet.the.doctor - Jan&Feb (actually also December and November...) D6=1

4 months total = 3 warscrolls +1 joker/ 4 target
    total to date = 6 warscrolls (+2 bonuses)

Background theme:
    This time I am posting a jailthemed Giant (1 warscroll) and another 2 fanatics (another warscroll) and a shaman on wolf (3rd warscroll). I added these guys to the campaign I was playing in the end of last year. All of them were finished till the end of November, but I didn't have time to post here at that time. And later on I didn't have time for any hobby till now... Anyway I am coming back and trying to finish my goblin batallion fighting their way out of BloodBound slavery. The whole theme is striped with balls and chains (fanatics fit in nicely), so I did the Giant the same way. The shaman on wolf was an addition just for the campaign as I needed a fast moving wizard. The next mob I had introduced in my previous post (Bonesplittas from Realm of Beast) are waiting for new GW release - hopefully Savege Orcs .. or Orruks.

Units:
    1 Giant
    2 Fanatics
    1 Shaman on Wolf

Build/Conversion:
    The giant was one of my favourite minis so far. I was assembling him for couple of hours because I coudn't decide which parts to chose. Finally I went for the most simple theme - he is prisoner though. The shaman and the wolf (as I bought him from eBay) appeared finally to be part of Bob Olley's goblin chariot, but I made them a mounted shaman. I had to make a saddle (or a rug) from green stuff to fit the shaman on wolf, and added a cloak (one of giant's parts). It is a simple conversion but I needed to do any to get a conversion achievment in the campaign I was taking part in.

Painting:
    Giant is in my classic striped clothes theme as the rest of goblin mob. He chases one human prisoner and hold another in his hand - both also prisoners. I had a lot fun painting the skintone (finally nor green!!!) and spent a lot on time on it training some blending and painting with small stripes so the muscles look more organic. I am not sure if it went as planned as I was experimenting but I am happy with the effect. I tried the same way to paint Squig Gobba and Korgorath later on. I was planning to make a tatoo on his back but because of lack of time I had put it off for another day.
    The Shaman and fanatics were rather basic. I just needed them for campaign so they were a little speed painted. It's a little shame as the fanatics are from the 80's and I wanted to have them nice and smooth.. but didn't have enough time

Highs/Lows:
    Highs - I am happy with the skintones on Giant and will train it on my coming soon Bloodbound warband.
    Lows - I have to practice on painting fur and drybrushing (wolf). I was not really happy with the effect.

PICs:
    Giant:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	225743
    Shaman on wolf:

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	225744
    The fanatics:

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	225745

And a group shot of my whole army for the Tale so far:

Name:	IMG_0083.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	292.9 KB 
ID:	225746

March WiPs:
    These ones I had started in November and begining of December and I wish to finish them this month. (I wish beacause I started Bloodbound warband for another campaign and they come first...):
    Squig Gobba from Forge World:

Name:	IMG_0077.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	225747
    And another 10 night goblins - 4 of them are filler - Animosity Orcs and goblins:

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	225748

And the first WiP warscrolls of my new warband - Khorne Bloodboud aka The Slavers:

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	225749Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0076.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	225750

Khorgorath and Bloodstoker.

They will be another 7 Warscrolls on my account

Chaplain

Orcs & Goblins + Chaos Warriors (10 Warscrolls)
    I suck at commenting on others work, so don't feel like you have to comment on mine

Month - January & February 2016
    MONTHLY TOTAL: 0 (Target 0.85)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 5
    (Target 10)
    JOKERS PLAYED: 2

I was going to quit this tale because 40k has taken over, the Path to Glory Campaign in particular.
    However, the campaign is so damn fun that we will do it in an AoS/Fantasy/KoW fashion as well.

So even though I didn't do any painting for this tale January and February, the tide will turn next this month or next.
    Last edited by Dunk; 07-03-2016 at 01:48.

Warsscrolls painted these past months = 3

Total warscrolls so far = 8

I have moved my attention to the stormcast, having read through a few of the black library novels and really enjoyed them the stormcast really cried out to be painted. I have also played through the starter set scenarios with a friend and this really helped motivate me to paint them up (much prefer playing with painted minis).

Highs - only a small number of models painted has made a big dent in the total from the starter.

Lows- Intially I painted the retributers in a bone scheme to match my earlier painted high elves, the intention being a combined army of order. This was taking too long and not giving the results I was happy with. So I changed to the scheme below.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	246.7 KB 
ID:	225801

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	225802

Quote Originally Posted by Spiney Norman View Post
    Yeah, no problem, welcome back

PICS

Needs more skulls :skull:

Good job on it though.

Cult of Slaanesh

MONTHLY TOTAL: 2/2
    GRAND TOTAL: 5/10

THEME: Slaaneshi followers led by Thalion, a high elf prince who tried to reach daemonhood in order to survive the end times.

CONVERSION:
    The Slaaneshi sorceress is a pretty old plastic model. I got her in a box with 7 other mages I think. It was a great box t paint, and some of the first plastic models. I didn't convert her, but did restore her pinky because that had broken of.
    The Keeper of secrets on the other hand was massively converted. I wanted to try and balance the proportions of the model. his head was way to big. Although I liked the bull themed head I cut of the entire back and front of his head an resculpted it (I really learned it pays of to be bold when it comes to sculpting and trying new skills). I adjusted his left hand. the original hand looked like the keeper was pretening he had a gun. now he is more ominously pointing his finger. The legs were really skinny so I buffed them out with armour (left leg) and some studded leather (can't be a daemon of Slaanesh without studded leather...).
    You'll notice his weapon is missing. While painting him I found his sword to be to big. So I'm planning on replacing it with a whip. The whip is in the mail though. I'm still counting him as a finished warscroll though, but I'll have to get back to him.

PAINTING: Had a lot of fun painting these models. I like how the sorcerss turend out with her blond hair. I did a little NMM on her sword.
    The keeper was pretty hard. I don't often paint miniatures this big. Figuring out his skintone was pretty challenging but fun. I just numerous layers of skintone and watered down paint as washes. I'm pretty happy how it looks right now. I also tried to improve my blending. I wnated the skin to naturally fade into the claws.

HIGHS: converting the keeper was an awesome challenge. I'm trying to improve my sculpting skills and this project really helped. It was scary cutting of large pieces of the model but in the end I think it looks pretty good.

LOWS: As always, time was a problem. It baffles me how much some of you have painted in the last months while I can hardly get to painting two models.

Pics!
    Slaaneshi sorceress

Keeper of secrets (nearly finished)

Check out my high elves and cult of Slaanesh

Nice work guys - everything is looking fantastic!

I don't have anything new to show because my enthusiasm for my Skaven died down during Warseer's down time.

I am now however painting a Plague Priest and I'm getting back into AoS (shiny new Pestilens Battletome helps with that!).

I'll have something for next month - I hope!

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marius View Post
    Altsain as a fellow swindonian I salute you, all those models look better than the over-polished eavy metal ones!
    Swindonian! Do you come to the club on Tuesday nights?

Chaplain

Splendid work everyone!

Love all the Greenskins and Chaos.

My favorite of the month is "Chaos Lord by
    beastzofnurgle" that model got my chaos blood pumping!

What model is it, and where can I get one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast