Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters months 6 & 7 (Jan & Feb completed, Mar WiP)

Brother Sergeant

Re: Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters months 6 & 7 (Jan & Feb completed, Mar WiP)

Painting has slowed up a little this month, though I have plenty of 'half-dones' sitting on the table. However, this week I did manage to finish off two wall sections and a Skull Keep, which has now allowed me to (finally) do this:

40k and Age of Sigmar Blog - A Tabletop Gamer's Diary: https://ttgamingdiary.wordpress.com/

Mongoose Publishing: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/

Brother Sergeant

And a Doombull!

40k and Age of Sigmar Blog - A Tabletop Gamer's Diary: https://ttgamingdiary.wordpress.com/

Veteran Sergeant

Apologies - since I no longer bother with General Discussion, and with the outage, I very much lost the habit of coming to Warseer.

I've been continuing to paint, although since I got into the Duncan Rhodes tutorials I'm actually starting (or re-starting) a lot of things and not finishing much. Right now I'm painting a second unit of Judicators... I can't even remember if I posted the first unit? But I've repainted the first unit anyway with more advanced techniques.

So, I've fallen away from the Tale - not because I've not been painting, but just because I'm doing many more, different things now. Ah well - what I would say is that if not for the Tale, it's very likely I wouldn't have achieved what I did in the first few months, and been in the position of seeking out the tutorials and therefore learning more.

Thanks therefore to the Tale for helping me to develop my hobby. I may post more pics of what I've been doing (and perhaps some before/after if I have them).

It's good to see everyone coming back to show off their work.

Beastofnurgle: excellent work on the doombull. I like the grey skin on the beastmen and the intestines on the doombull are a nice touch. Gotta love that beasts of war chaos champion.

Altsain: the breadth of minis you get completed is insane. I'm a big fan of your lizardmen, perhaps because of the purple dinosaurs. I really enjoy reading your battle reports on your blog; it's great to know your armies are seeing extensive use.

Spineynorman: the fortress looks awesome. I like how the red in the walls looks kind of like a maroon color. I really commend you on getting that thing done so quickly it would have taken me a long time to get that much done so fast with all the details on them and all those skulls.

Roostmanuva: the cream color on the armor looks good and reminds me of some I saw when Aos first came out. I'm glad to see another Stormcast army coming back to the Tale.

Efhead: I really love your keeper of secrets. It's such a beautiful conversion befitting of slannesh and corrects all the proportions that were wierd about the original sculpt. The work you have done on Thalion in your plog is just awesome it's gonna look awesome with a finalized paint job on him. Such a great themed army I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

@ captain Marius I'm glad I can be an inspiration to someone, it's hard to keep going with this faction with how much negativity they get

I'm glad this is still going. Haven't posted my January and February so here it is below (updated my personal blog with some of this)

3 Scrolls of Destruction:

3 Scrolls of Order:

That brings me up to:
    Order: 5/10
    Chaos: 0/10
    Destruction: 10/10 (no way am I finishing at 10 though)
    Death: 0/10

Ive painted up a few bits so far this month and my big aim is to get some more characters done before the end of the month as my March committment.

Veteran Sergeant

Love that Prime mate nice one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran Sergeant

Just to follow up, here's a before/after with new techniques learned since Christmas. This was one of my January units, repainted this month. Hopefully you'll agree it was worth it!

BEFORE:

AFTER

I'm still planning on completing my Tale aims, though it will be a bit more drip-fed through the remaining months. I'm currently working on a Celestant Prime and an Archaon, so hopefully they'll both feature before long...

Time for some comments. I’m amazed by the amount of work some people have done. I’ve only just managed to complete my 2 warscrolls. But hey, who’s keeping count…

@Vazalaar:
    Good idea to add some troops with a slightly different colour scheme, to make the stormcasts look more diverse. The cream and purple looks good. Maybe the teeth on the dracoth could be a little less white, or does he brush regularly?

@BeastofNurgle
    The dark skin/fur on the beastmen looks great and really fits with the scheme of your army. I like how the bunches of skulls on the ungor banner mimics the symbol of Nurgle.

@Altsain
    Ok, so this is just ridiculous. You must spent like 12 hours a day painting?
    And it all looks good. I might consider going back on the brood horror, it’s a bit too much of the same fleshtone for me. But again, I’m in awe of the amount of work you did at a good standard.

@Spiney Norman
    Great job on the dreadfort. It must be weird painting something like that. So much detail! It might be the pics, but the skulls look a little light. The parts between the skulls could be darker. I also think the blood on the enormous blades on the gates is to big. If the stains were smaller/subtler it would emphasize the size of the fort.

@Meet.the.doctor
    Another person who did an enormous amount of work… My favourite is the giant, amazing skintones.

@Roostmanuva
    The stormcasts look great, I like that you painted the platemail red. I think you did a great job on models which are almost completely covered in metal. The shading and highlighting is top-notch.

@Altsain, again
    Oh, so you’ve also managed to paint a dreadfort… I just don’t know how to react to all this:P looking great though!

@booah
    awesome stuff. I like all the dark tones, especially on the black orcs. The bases look great too. I do have some problems with the wings on the stormcast special character. It looks like you washed only part of the wings with blue. I’d recommend washing the wings completely and while still wet highlighting the wings up to white at the tips. Followed with a final highlight when the paint has dried.

@SlyRebirth
    nice to see you progress. The repaint was definitely worth it. To advance them even further I’d suggest you create some even darker spots in the metal. Also add something to the pauldrons. For example paint the middle a colour or paint the rim gold.

Next month I’ll post my army general, Thalion.
    Check out my high elves and cult of Slaanesh

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Elfhead View Post
    @Altsain
    Ok, so this is just ridiculous. You must spent like 12 hours a day painting?
    I really don't

The secret is that, when I get back home from work, I let watching the TV as much as the next guy - however, I hate just sitting there doing nothing with my hands. Painting kinda works well, so I do at least a little most nights.

Speaking of which... over the long weekend I did another ten Warscrolls - a complete force of Fyreslayers!

Following an idea someone gave me on Dakka, I went with dark skin throughout, thinking it would contrast nicely with the orange beards and hair.

Also changed the way I do fire now, using washes only.

Posting up some progress for Fantasia Fanatic next weekend
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	433.5 KB 
ID:	226224   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	43 
Size:	424.3 KB 
ID:	226225   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	40 
Size:	443.8 KB 
ID:	226226   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	43 
Size:	444.1 KB 
ID:	226227  

Quote Originally Posted by Elfhead View Post
    @Spiney Norman
    Great job on the dreadfort. It must be weird painting something like that. So much detail! It might be the pics, but the skulls look a little light. The parts between the skulls could be darker. I also think the blood on the enormous blades on the gates is to big. If the stains were smaller/subtler it would emphasize the size of the fort.
    If anything I think the skulls are a little dark, I have wondered about dry brushing them with a lighter colour to make the recesses more obvious, I suppose that's true about the blood on the blades, I just wanted to make it obvious and not get lost among the other details of the fort.

I've been working on a skull keep this month to extend the fort further, nothing really on the scale of Altsain's efforts though sadly.

Ok, now for some comments

Gorthor21 - nice work on those stormcast, I Especially like the scales on the dracoth, the deeper red of the Lord celestant' cape and reins work well with the other colours you have going on there and your highlighting is really improving. And that's a scary looking squad of shooty stormcasts, my bloodbound would not like to see them across the table!

Beastzofnurgle - I love the doombull, a colours just work together so well and you've done a great job on the blood splats on the axe blade. It's an awesome model and I feel you've really done it justice. The chaos Lord is a really nice too, is the some conversion work there as I don't recognise the mini, but the definition you've gotten on his muscles is really something.

Your ungor look cool too, they're not my favourite models but I can see what you mean about the colour scheme , it does work really well.

Altsain - I'm not sure what to say except 'you're making the rest of us look bad' lol, another massive haul this month, I'm wondering whether you actually ever stop painting to eat, sleep or go to the bathroom

I love the quality of your work as well, I think the screamers are my favourite, I love the way you've blended the colours on their backs. Good job on your dreadhold as well, I think what is almost more amazing than your painting speed is the amount of money which you have to throw at this game

meet.the.doctor- That giant is absolutely gold standard, the work you've done on the skin just blows me away, I love the fanatics as well, but yeah, this is really all about the giant. I guess you've seen that FW have Put out some rules for the squig Gobba now? I'm interested to see how that turns out since I have one knocking around somewhere.

Roostmanuva - those are some really nice stormcast, I like that you've gone for a silver/red scheme over the classic gold/blue, it just seems to work really well. You've done a good job on the metallics and kepts the Reds really vibrant which gives a great overall effect. I can't wait to see how they develop.

Booah - a really gorgeous bunch of models you've got there, I hear your black orcs might be getting some friendly reinforcements in the relatively near future the black ark corsairs are my favourite I think, but the celestant prime is pretty epic too, the metallic especially look great on those two, and the detail on the vortex is excellent.

SlyRebirth - that has made an incredible difference on those models (I'm thinking its a shading wash and highlights), keep up the good work!

Veterannoob - some of those pictures are a little hard to make out, but I like the scheme you're using for the fyreslayers beards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Konovalev View Post
    Warseer's Warhammer General has become like a nerdy Jerry Springer. It's quite entertaining.
    Calling all AoS fans, please consider joining Warseer's first Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Spiney Norman View Post
    Altsain - I'm not sure what to say except 'you're making the rest of us look bad' lol, another massive haul this month, I'm wondering whether you actually ever stop painting to eat, sleep or go to the bathroom

I love the quality of your work as well, I think the screamers are my favourite, I love the way you've blended the colours on their backs. Good job on your dreadhold as well, I think what is almost more amazing than your painting speed is the amount of money which you have to throw at this game
    Heh

I do have a little secret on the latter - I avail myself a great deal with eBay and, for new items, I am 'in the trade' and don't pay anything like new sticker price. I buy and sell on eBay too, so my net spend on AoS is probably just brushes and paints, with the models effectively costing nothing (everyone hates me now, right?). Not sure what I would do if I had to pay full price but, as they say, I'll make hay while I can.

As for making everyone look bad, you might want to avert your eyes because... another five Warscrolls

A Lord on Gorebeast Chariot (going to be King Thrond in the Realmgate Wars campaign).

Flamers of Tzeentch (if you play AoS, go easy on these guys as large numbers are just rude - I speak from experience...).

Herald on Disc

The Changeling

And my first Everchosen, the Gaunt Summoner

Some serious hitting of the Talent Limit on a few of these models. The Gaunt Summoner is easy enough to do if you follow the Everchosen Painting Guide, but it is not the easiest model to do well. To be honest, a little beyond my abilities and someone with a bit of, you know, finesse would do a much better job. The Changeling was an issue as well - the glyphs on his robe that they have on GW's site really set it off, but I knew that was way beyond my abilities.

The Flamers were dead easy, if a little uninspiring as a final result (I really have no illusions about my painting skills ), but the Gorebeast Chariot turned out okay, I think!

Chapter Master

I think the gorebeast chariot and flamers look great!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2