Thread: The Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016: MONTH 7 (Feb finished/Mar WIP)

The Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016: MONTH 7 (Feb finished/Mar WIP)

Welcome to the Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016!

What is the Tale all about?
    The goal of the Tale of Painters is to get an army fully painted within the next 12 months.

For most 40k armies the size will be somewhere between 1000 and 2000 points, but you can go higher if you want to (and you're crazy enough)! AI, BFG and Epic armies will be slightly different, but as long as you choose an appropriate sized army for your game system then there's no problem.

Once you've chosen your army, your target is to paint roughly 10% of your army each month. For example, if you've chosen a 2000 point army then your monthly target would be 200 points. The Tale runs for one year (September 2014 to August 2015), so if you stick to your 10% monthly target then you'll only need to paint for 10 months of the year.

To cover the months when you can't/don't paint, you get 2 Jokers. You can play a Joker at any time (provided you haven't used them both up!), which essentially means that you don't have to meet your target for that month. They can used for real life events (such as births, deaths, marriages, exams, holidays) or if you're just having a bad/slow month. If you use a Joker then feel free to post a suitable image instead (of a Joker or something funny).

What is this thread all about?
    This thread is for work in progress (WIP) for this month. Please do not post any completed work for this month in this thread.

Feel free to post any WIP pictures of what you're going to be painting this month, army lists, background stories, battle reports, questions, and comments on anyone else's posts. You can post as little or as much as you like in the thread, but please keep it WIP. Do not post any completed work for this month until after the next thread opens at the start of next month.

Frequently Asked Questions
    Q : Am I too Late? Can I still Join in?
    A : No, you're not too late and yes, you can still join in! Just post in this thread stating which army and how many points you would like to paint, and I'll add you to the list in the second post. Please aim to paint at least 1000 points in total.

Q : Do I have to stick to just one army? What about allies?
    A : No, you can paint more than one army or include allies if you want to! If you want to paint more than one army then just list each army you wish to paint when you sign up. Please aim to paint at least 1000 points for each army. For the purposes of multiple armies, as long as you aim for 10% of your combined total each month then it doesn't matter what order you paint things in. You could paint 10% of each army each month, or alternate armies each month, or 5 months of one army followed by 5 months of another army, or whatever combination best suits you.

Q : Can I paint more than 10% of my army in a month?
    A : Yes, you aren't bound by the rules of the Tale, and it's great to get ahead. BUT, we would like you only to post (approx) 10% each month to try to stay on track (and to not depress those of us who are struggling to keep up). If your character/tank/unit is over 10% of your army you could simply paint him/it/them over several months. For example, a unit of 10 Ork Meganobz (400 points) could be split into 2 months of 200 points. Please post new WIP shots each month though, so we can see what you're up to.

Q : Can I paint less than 10% of my army in a month?
    A : Yes, you aren't bound by the rules of the Tale. BUT, we would like you to try to stay on track by painting more points in the next month to 'catch up'. For example, if you can only manage to post 5% one month then you could try to post 15% the next month. Equally if you paint more one month you can take it easy and paint less the next month.

Q : Do I have to use my 2 Jokers during the Tale? Can I 'buy back' my Jokers during the Tale?
    A : No, you don't have to use them and yes, you can 'buy back' your Jokers. If you can manage to paint/post for the full 12 months then congratulations, you'll have exceeded your target and truly embodied the spirit of the Tale! If you have already played a Joker and manage to get a month ahead (either by painting double one month or painting a bit more for a few months), then just state in your monthly entry that you wish to 'buy back' your Joker.

Q : What's with the D6 roll in your post?
    A : The D6 roll was an idea introduced to help ensure that everyone gets some comments on their work. If everyone rolls a D6 when they post (I use the D&D dice roller if I don't have a D6 to hand), then we should have six roughly equal groups each month. Then, if you comment on those people who rolled the same as you everyone will receive some feedback. So, if you roll a 1, comment on all of the other 1's, if you rolled a 2, comment on all of the other 2's, and so on. Of course, if you have the time/want to, there's nothing stopping you from commenting on anyone's/everyone's work.

If anyone has any other questions please ask them, and either myself or one of the many Tale veterans will try to answer them. Also, links to previous Tales (and the current one) are in my signature for anyone who wants to see what we get up to.
    The Tale of 40k Painters
    Year 1a (07-08)/Year 1b (07-08), Year 2 (08-09), Year 3 (09-10), Year 4 (10-11), Year 5 (11-12), Year 6 (12-13), Year 7 (13-14), Year 8 (14-15), Year 9 (15-16)

Orks (~14,000pts) - W:37 L:29 D:14, Dark Eldar (~5,000pts) - W:17 L:20 D:5, Chaos Space Marines (~2,000pts) - W:6 L:14 D:4

Re: The Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016: MONTH 7 (Feb finished/Mar WIP)

Here is a list of everyone who's signed up for the Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016 so far:

booah - Cult Mechanicus - 480/2000 points, 3/2 Jokers used
    Deusmex - Space Marines (Ultramarines) - 400/2000 points, 2/2 Jokers used
    Dunk - Necrons (plus Chaos Space Marines) - 1976/2000 points, 0/2 Jokers used
    Edzard - Blood Angels (plus Sisters of Battle) - 268/1000 points, 2/2 Jokers used
    gogs78 - Blood Angels - 465/1500 points, 1/2 Jokers used
    ironduke - Space Marines (Ultramarines) - 360/1850 points, 2/2 Jokers used
    jpobrich - Dark Angels - 2333/2000 points, 0/2 Jokers used
    misterboff - Orks (Bad Moons) - 1693/2500 points, 0/2 Jokers used
    MrKeef - Space Marines - 70/750 points, 3/2 Jokers used
    punkfish - Blood Angels (Shield of Baal Crusade) - 945/1500 points, 0/2 Jokers used
    Rob and Roll - Eldar (Eldar, Dark Eldar & Harlequins) - 440/2000 points, 1/2 Jokers used
    toonboy78 - Space Marines - 1655/2000 points, 0/2 Jokers used
    Zujara - Space Marines (Brazen Claws) - 524/1500 points, 1/2 Jokers used

Please can you check your entry and let me know if anything needs changing?
    Also let me know if you've used up all of your Jokers but still want to take part.
    Last edited by misterboff; 28-03-2016 at 00:03. Reason: updated to post #14
    The Tale of 40k Painters
    Year 1a (07-08)/Year 1b (07-08), Year 2 (08-09), Year 3 (09-10), Year 4 (10-11), Year 5 (11-12), Year 6 (12-13), Year 7 (13-14), Year 8 (14-15), Year 9 (15-16)

Orks (~14,000pts) - W:37 L:29 D:14, Dark Eldar (~5,000pts) - W:17 L:20 D:5, Chaos Space Marines (~2,000pts) - W:6 L:14 D:4

misterboff's Orks (Bad Moons): February 2015 (D6 roll = 5)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 345 POINTS (250 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 1693 POINTS (1500 TARGET)
    JOKERS PLAYED: 0

BACKGROUND/THEME:
    'Drawn to Grukk's Waaagh! by riches untold, Gashrakk da Flash took over as Warboss of the Split-Grin tribe. Ripe for some rough leadership after Grukk staved in the skull of their last boss, the Split-Grin tribe quickly fell into line behind Gashrakk. In the time-honoured tradition of the Bad Moons clan, to gain leadership of the Split-Grins he bribed most of its Nobz with the best guns and choppas teef could buy. Those who did not fall into line soon found themselves the targets of their former comrades' new arsenal.' - Warbands of Waaagh! Grukk (Codex: Orks)

UNIT(S):
    5 Warbosses ('Eavy Armour, 1 with Power Klaw) - 345 points

BUILD/CONVERSION:
    The Warbosses are Ogre Bulls with Flash Git heads, Killa Kan shoulder pads and old (2nd edition) Bolters as Sluggas. One has a Deff Dread Buzz saw as his Power Klaw.

PAINTING/BASING:
    The models are undercoated with Army Painter Daemonic Yellow, and then painted in the stages below. The first colour is the basecoat, the second is a wash and the third and fourth are highlights.

Yellow: Daemonic Yellow/Reikland Fleshshade/Pallid Wych Flesh
    Black: Abaddon Black/Nuln Oil/Eshin Grey/Dawn Stone
    Silver: Leadbelcher/Agrax Earthshade/Necron Compound
    Brass: Hashut Copper/Agrax Earthshade/Necron Compound
    Nob Skin: Waaagh! Flesh/Biel-Tan Green/Warboss Green
    Boy Skin: Warboss Green/Biel-Tan Green/Skarsnik Green
    Dark Brown: Steel Legion Drab/Reikland Fleshshade/Tallarn Sand
    Light Brown: Tallarn Sand/Reikland Fleshshade/Karak Stone
    Bones/Teef: Karak Stone/Reikland Fleshshade/Screaming Skull
    Eyes: Mephiston Red
    Bases: Steel Legion Drab/Citadel Sand

STILL TO DO:
    Nothing!

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: I'm pleased with how my Bully Boyz have turned out, and think that they look suitably Orky.
    Lows: I've not had as much time to paint this month, so I've not quite got them finished.

NEXT MONTH:
    I was going to make a start on the Nobz from the (Apocalypse) Bully Boyz formation, but I've got a Tournament coming up in May so think I'd best make a start on some Boyz instead...

misterboff

[Klaw Warboss (Black Reach Warboss for scale), Choppa Warbosses A, Choppa Warbosses B, Bully Boyz]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToP 9.6 - Bully Boyz A.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	375.4 KB 
ID:	225770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToP 9.6 - Bully Boyz B.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	289.7 KB 
ID:	225771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToP 9.6 - Bully Boyz C.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	225772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToP 9.6 - Bully Boyz.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	331.0 KB 
ID:	225773  
    Last edited by misterboff; 06-03-2016 at 21:39. Reason: added pics...
    The Tale of 40k Painters

Chaplain

Necrons and Chaos Space Marines (2000 points)
    I suck at commenting on others work, so don't feel like you have to comment on mine

Month 7 - January & Fabruary 2016 (part 1)
    MONTHLY TOTAL: 684 (Target 167)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 1976
    (Target 2000)

Heldrake 170pts
    Zhufor the Impaler 165pts
    Helbrute 100pts
    Chaos Marines x10 140pts
    Predator 75pts
    Berzerker Banner (Icon of Wrath) 34pts
    = 684pts

WarSeer might have been on vacation, but I haven't.
    Have been drowning in work the last 2 weeks (investment in future off-time). Went absolutely crazy with painting in January and beginning of February, so decided to take a brake from painting, and get ahead at work for the next painting boost

I finished my work boost, and it's time to continue on my second family

Heldrake

Zhufor the Impaler

Chaplain

Necrons and Chaos Space Marines (2000 points)
    I suck at commenting on others work, so don't feel like you have to comment on mine

Month 7 - January & Fabruary 2016 (part 2)
    MONTHLY TOTAL: 684 (Target 167)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 1976
    (Target 2000)

Helbrute

Chaos Marines x10

Predator

Berzerker Banner

coolest geek in town..... toonboy78's Avatar

Toonboys (Marines): February 2015 (D6 roll = 3)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 400 POINTS (200 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 1655 POINTS (2000 TARGET)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
    My marines have some super heavy support…….

UNIT(S):
    Knight Lancer - 400 points

BUILD/CONVERSION:
    The base has an old broken rhino modelled on to it. this was a £2 purchase from eBay, which I thought I could save. It has been put to better use. The knight itself is pretty much as is. There was a slight issue with positioning of the legs as the pistons weren’t long enough so needed some green stuff to fill in the gap. Same for the power cable on that side. This is my first big FW model. It was quite easy to put together. My big bug bear is the lance. It has had 3 hot baths and still didn’t sit straight.

PAINTING/BASING:
    The models are undercoated with Army Painter ultramarine blue and chainmail.

Blue: I thought the base was a bit pale, so I painted it in macragge blue to deepen it. I pained the recesses of the carapace with drakenhoff nightshade and highlighted in calgar blue. I should have washed the other plates edges but didn’t. I was hoping the gold would make a better edge. I was going to do another level of highlighting, but I’m going to see how this looks for a while. I would rather not have them that do them untidily
    Gold: as per the recipe for painting stormcasts. It’s a little red than the gold I wanted but it’s a nice colour. the lance was done slightly different with a wash of the turquoise technical paint and a blue glaze
    Metal: washed in nuln oil, highlighted in Ironbreaker and then dry brushed in Necron Compound, odd areas washed in agrax earthhade

STILL TO DO:
    Some odd details here and there and a whole lot of transfers. I may also get a hairdryer out and attempt to straighten the lance.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: pretty chuffed that I have done my first real big model.
    Lows: The wonky lance

NEXT MONTH:
    Not sure yet. I have just mixed up 2 boxes of scouts to make a squad with bolters and camo cloaks, or I may crack on and do my 2nd knight. Not sure yet I’ll see how things pan out

Toonboy

Pictures

Last edited by toonboy78; 07-03-2016 at 14:46.
    my log (updated 04/05/17 Scorpion and Predator)

the code

It's been a bit slow/chaotic after the big Warseer crash, but it's comment time!

@Dunk: A very eclectic month. I think the Heldrake really suits your relatively dark scheme, and I like the glowing effect.

@toonboy78: So that's why you wanted to increase your target! Great work on the Knight, and I think the lance looks fine (certainly in the last picture).

####

I've got some Shoota Boyz out of my case and ready to paint, but I haven't started yet as I'm busy with a Gorkanaut conversion. I've got the body/legs/arms put together, so I just need to figure out what to do for a head and then add the obligatory armour plates/rivets/glyphs etc...
    The Tale of 40k Painters

Chaplain

Guess I can find the time to comment this month :P

@ Misterboff - I must admit that yellow is not my color, but I like them nonetheless. I would probably just had done it boring red, and I like it when people try more radiant color schemes

Thank you. This is my first attempt at "molten effect", and it was surprisingly simple and fast to do o.O
    I should give my models a little more love, but I tend to just want them finished after a while (sooo much to paint).

@ toonboy78 - Lance looks fine, and that Rhino is kickass

coolest geek in town..... toonboy78's Avatar

Thanks to all for the replies

@Misterboff: interesting take on using ogres for warbosses. i'm sure a BIG MEK could be converted out of one of them too!

@Dunk: well done on a huge amount of models being painted. i really like the molten paint work on the helldrake. i really like the old school predator. it reminds me of Andy Champers old Iron warriors army in WD190ish
    my log (updated 04/05/17 Scorpion and Predator)

the code

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by toonboy78 View Post
    @Dunk: well done on a huge amount of models being painted. i really like the molten paint work on the helldrake. i really like the old school predator. it reminds me of Andy Champers old Iron warriors army in WD190ish
    I actually don't like the old semi-metal predators, and only have them because they were part of a collection I bought. So traded them for NIB Blood Angels Ball Predator & NIB Space Marine Predator, which will very soon fall to chaos

Just outside Nottingham or standing right behind you.

Hurray, the website is back.

Will upload some pictures of my progress this evening.

Otherwise, hurrah!

cheers
    Ironduke
    If you want a laugh check out my current painting projects

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...year-(or-less)

Brother Sergeant

jpobrich's Dark Angels

Monthly Total: 474 points
    To Date: 2333 points

Completed Units

11 Tactical Marines - 224 points
    Land Raider Crusader - 250 points

Highs: The weathering on the Crusader turned out okay, although I still think it looks a little unfinished. The big, flat panels on Marine vehicles are great if you want to break them up with free-hand painting, but I'm not too good at that yet.
    Lows: None!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160322_205850.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	226085Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160322_210251.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	226086
    Last edited by jpobrich; 24-03-2016 at 11:50.
    Please check my Dark Angel Project Log!
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127795

Chapter Master

And Warseer is back... Dang! Hadn't even noticed that...

Not offering any excuses, but I thought I might offer an explanation for my absence.

Life's been pretty... Hectic... The last few months. And that's putting it mildly.

I've been super-busy at work. Not that that's a bad thing as such, but it does drain a lot of energy.

And then there's all the rest that's gone wrong... Granddad's been in and out of hospital and nursery homes since late last year, mind slowly being eaten away by dementia. Grandmother's working herself to death looking after him while having to deal with yet another round of skin cancer. Mum's gotten fired from work... "Rationalization" they call it - outsourcing to India is what I'd call it, but what do I know?

And a couple of months ago I was diagnosed with diabetes. Don't know why that happened - one day I was fine, a month later I was diagnosed with diabetes, having a scarily high blood sugar level. Just like that, and now I'm looking at being officially sick for the rest of my life...

That's required some drastic changes to how I'm living (no more sweets for me, I'm afraid) and I've been struggling with side effects of the medication ever since. Basically, I'm constantly fighting a feeling of nausea. Sometimes all I can do is to sit still in a chair until the world's stopped spinning and the mere thought of eating turns my stomach. But eat I must, especially now that I need to keep an eye on my blood sugar levels.

Thankfully, it's "only" type 2 diabetes, so if I change the way I eat and lose a bit of weight the doctor says that I might be able to slowly back out of the medication in a couple of years time, provided that my blood sugar levels remain somewhat acceptable.

That's draining what little energy I have left, so I haven't touched a brush for months now. Simply don't have the energy or motivation.

Right now I'm on a two week vacation - I needed a break to catch my breath.

BUGGER!

I'm still hoping to get my Ultramarines painted one day, but... Well... Had a lot of other stuff on my mind...

Commander

Just noticed the forum is back up, hardly got anything done during the downtime. I will try to catch up in points next month and get some stuff up in here.

Hey guys and girls, the next thread is now up:

The Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016: MONTH 8 (Mar finished/Apr WIP)

The new thread is for completed entries for March (up until the 10th) and work in progress (WIP) for April (from the 11th). Please only post completed work for March in the new thread until the 10th.
    The Tale of 40k Painters