Thread: A Warseer mafia-game? (PREGAME Discussion)

A Warseer mafia-game? (PREGAME Discussion)

A cult of Chaos worshippers is threatening the village! Help root out the evil threat or plot the demise of the village and it inhabitants!

So what is this and how does it work?

This is a simple roleplaying game most commonly known as Mafia, Werewolf or Vampire. The players are randomly split into two teams and the aim of the game is to kill the members of the other team. Only the cult members know who are part of the cult and so the villagers must try to figure out who is a member of the cult and lynch them while the cult must kill off the villagers without drawing attention to themselves and their true motives.

Is it complicated?

No, not really. The game has two turns, day and night. During the day turn all the players will debate and vote on who they want to lynch the following night. The cult members will try to persuade the players to lynch an innocent villager but must be careful, if they are to obvious the villagers will start to suspect them and they could be lynched themselves. During the night a player will be lynched if he/she received enough votes during the day. Every night the cult will also assassinate one player of their choice. If any player has any special abilities these will also be used during the night.

Ok, so how do I play?

You play by interacting with the other players in the game thread. During the day-phases you can post questions to the other players, accuse them of being cult members, encourage other players to vote for someone, plead for someone’s life, discuss theories about who the cult members are etc. There are very few rules to this and you can pretty much post whatever you want, including lies. If you are a cult member you will often be forced to lie to hide your true allegiance. In the thread you and the other players will also cast your lynch-votes. The cult members will also PM each other so that they can plot behind the back of the genuine villagers. As the game progresses players will start to suspect each other of being cultists and you must use your wits and powers of persuasion to steer the lynch-vote in the direction you want it to go.

Some players might also have special roles that give them abilities. Examples of roles are The Witch Hunter who can investigate other players and learn their true identity, The Wizard who can protect players from the cults assassin or the Cult Framer who can cast suspicion on innocent players.

Sounds fun! Where can I learn more about this?

You might want to start with some of the links below, although google can provide you with plenty more. There are lots of different ways to play this game and many different rules and roles that can be used. The purpose of this thread is to discuss what rule and roles people would most like to see in the game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_%28party_game%29
    http://englishmafiaclub.com/how-to-play
    http://wiki.mafiascum.net

Re: A Warseer mafia-game? (PREGAME Discussion)

Since I don't know how many people might want to play I suggest we keep this as simple as possible. Very basic with only a few special roles to make sure that the game runs smoothly for everyone. Unless someone else wants to be the Game Moderator (GM) I will take that upon myself.

I'm thinking we need at least 5 players for an enjoyable game. Not sure if 5 is enough for more than one cultist though? I would probably want 6 or 7 before we add a second cultist. I'm also thinking we need a long day-phase, maybe 48+ hours IRL, to make sure that people from different timezones have enough time to interact with each other.

I will post some suggested rules later, until then please indicate in the thread if you want to play!

Late to the Party

Well, I'm in. I think you are right about only one cultist at the current projected size (5). We will just have to see how it goes. 48hrs seems a little short, I mean i know what you are getting and if the phase is too long we will lose people as well, but maybe a tad longer?

ZP
    Zombie P's Imaginative PLog of Stuff, and Things - Updated 30.4.16
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Facebeard View Post
    "Sighs, farts, and leaves : the Malorne story"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malorne View Post
    An uplifting tale of discovering oneself while overcoming grave peril and class stereotyping in a hostile world.

I'm in for sure
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

I'm in defo mate

Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Knowing MOMUS I would guess something dirty and/or depraved.
    Or conning you into making a giant-sized Slann.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Inquisitor View Post
    That was pretty epic, MOMUS.

Great to see you! Two more and we can get a game in and who knows maybe a sixth and seventh player find their way here too. Here is my suggested way of playing, please complain if you don't like it! If you think the detailed rules look long and complicated, don't bother reading them! There are only a few things you really need to know in order to play and it's supposed to be fun not tedious. I will make sure that every one who wants to play knows how.

Start Date:

March 11, 2016 @ 12:00 GMT

Player Breakdown:

There are Five (5) players divided between two teams.
    The Village has Four (4) players: 3 Villagers and 1 Witchhunter
    The Cult has One (1) players: 1 Cult Thug
    The GM (Game Moderator) will determine the roles by random number generation and notify each player of their role by private message.

Game turns:

The Game Day is 72 hours long and is followed by a Game Night. The Game Night comes in the form of a post by the GM.

Playing:

Every Game Day players indicate who they want to lynch by posting their vote in the thread. The vote can be changed as many times as the players wishes. The player does not have to vote.

Winning the Game:

The Cult wins as soon as its numbers are equal to that of the Village.
    The Village wins when the cultist is dead.

Detailed Rules (These may refer to concepts not used in this game, like multiple cultist and additioanl roles):

It is with sadness in my heart that I put this game on hold for now.

I'm hoping that me or someone else will give it another go when the time is right!

Is this still happening or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Knowing MOMUS I would guess something dirty and/or depraved.
    Or conning you into making a giant-sized Slann.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Inquisitor View Post
    That was pretty epic, MOMUS.

Three players is not enough. I suggest we revisit this at a later date, when the winds of magic are more favourable.