Thread: Wallack's gallery "Freequest" (custom dungeon crawler system)

Brother Sergeant

Wallack's gallery "Freequest" (custom dungeon crawler system)

Hello everyone.

I'm Wallack, from Spain, although now I'm living in Ireland.

I collected WH since 2008-2009 but never really played. Never had the time to paint all my minis and didn't want to play with unpainted ones. Anyways, long story short, I like AoS because the rules are simpler and plan to play only the base box with my wife, but I love, more than that, dungeon crawlers.

I had a copy (no minis, and bad condition) of Warhammer Quest, the spanish edition (which was worse than the normal edition, less minis-content). I own Descent 2nd with a lots of its expansions, even made custom content (new classes and stuff), kickstarted dungeon saga (although I sold it) and got a copy of WHQ normal edition with everything but the heroes and some counters.

Anyways, everytime I decided to play any kind of game I was always houseruling the **** out of it apart from changing the minis the game uses, might be descent and the non-hobby minis (although they are top quality for a board game, if you are a wargammer they are low quality) might be WHQ and the old style ... or just that I didn't get the mini I wanted for my mighty hero!

That said I started working on Freequest, a set of rules (for now in Spanish, but will translate once I test them) for a dungeon crawler. I have worked on it for about 2 months. The rules are pretty simple but also long to cover a lot of aspects. The idea is to have a lot of cards with the items, abilities and everything and also supply the photoshop template so everyone can create new stuff.

The main idea behind the game is to allow a lot of customization but not only with the rules but also playing, the main difference (I think) is that there are no classes, instead you build your character getting abilities. If you want to be a wizard, get the abilitie to cast spells and buy some of them. You want to be a paladin? get some big ass sword and some holy spells ... anyways that would come later when I game test it and translate everything.

Anyways, here are some of my painted stuff, I'm not a good painter but some minis are really easy to paint with a good result, however don't like/know/want to paint faces, hence this results:

As you can see the face is too dark but I will try to light it up a bit on another session. Here is another elf hero I wanted to paint:

Both swords are pretty simple, I tried to wet blend them but wasn't really able, but once I have more swords to paint will do a nice gradient with the airbrush, just that don't want to start with it now, and also afraid of not masking right the mini and making a mess.

As this is a dungeon crawler I went and painted some skeletons, this are from Otherworld miniatures and are full metal:

Also wanted a bit of nostalgia in my games and painted some of the old skeletons from vampire counts:

Then painted some of the furniture for the Dungeon:

I cry when angels deserve to die.

Brother Sergeant

Re: Wallack's gallery "Freequest" (custom dungeon crawler system)

Continuing:

The furniture is from Dungeon Saga but after I sold it I kept some of it as the stretch goals came with tons of them and the buyer was ok.

For the tiles I wanted the approach a lot people did with styrofoam (xps) and carving the tiles, but takes time and is more messy. I saw some MDF tiles that one guy (darkops.co.uk) did for dungeon saga and ordered some custom quantity of them. Is a very easy and fast way to make tiles. Just cut some foam or wood to use as base and then glue the tiles. This are my tiles now, unpainted ofc.

First my work area, is just the kitchen table, it always start with two paints but as I'm needing more and more I end up with this mess:

Here in Ireland is hard to get blue xps but I managed to buy 6 a3 sheets via eBay. It was around 40 euro but it was worth it.

Here you can see the MDF tiles, I started with a 8x2 halway with simple tiles (yes, I used a kitchen knife):

Then I made a 4x4 room:

Then a 5x7. This one is weird because the odd number I can never fit the hallway at the middle of the entrance, but anyways, this one ended bigger because there are more space between some of the tiles to place some columns:

You can also place them on an adjacent tile so you have two different positions for each column. Here the first three "rooms":

Brother Sergeant

Continuing:

I ended up adding some sand and some small stones that I later (can't see in the pictures) removed to keep just the sand, as the stones might make hard for the models to stand. Also you can see a pic with a chaos warrior that I use to test some stuff, was a quick paint job (20-30 min) and the glue to the base was a bit spilled hence you see the "fog".

Made also more rooms:

The small 2x2 is pretty neat because it allows to make a corner as a T junction or a small hallway a bit longer. More rooms and a picture of everything, you can see here what I meant about the columns:

Then I worked on some stairs for the entrance. This will always be the starting point. This took me a whole weekend because even if making the stairs was easy, covering them with pva glue and paper to make it seem like a full piece was hard. My foam is 1" thick so I wanted the high area to be 2" so I couldn't just carve the stairs, I had to build them and then cover them with pva and paper and then some gesso, but the result is pretty neat, it seems like a single piece:

And now I'm working on the entrance of the dungeon, also again, the hard part is to make it look like one piece, but is going ok I think. This will be used mainly for pictures and to start the dungeon and have the feeling of entering one, not really used in the game:

Is still drying, tomorrow I will soft some areas with sand paper and cover some others with gesso (probably all the stone) and on Monday luckily I will be able to put pva and the sand and leave it ready for priming.

Well, this is all my current content for "Freequest". I have tons of minis to paint and hope to finish during this week the template of the cards which I didn't even start I currently have designed:

- 12 races. This is the first thing you choose when creating the character.
    - 26 basic abilities. When you create your character you choose some abilities. First you choose the race, then some abilities. Humans get to choose 4, elfs 3, but they get some other stuff as well. Some of those abilities allow you to get some sub-abilities to name it that way, for example, Knight allows you to choose a knightly order to belong to (7 currently) and Matial artist allows you to select one martial arts to focus on (6 currently). Thus making 26 + 7 + 6 basic abilities.
    - 8 advanced abilities. When you level up you can choose another basic ability or an advanced one. Advanced doesn't mean they are much better than the basics, but sometimes they are an evolution or they require a basic one.
    - 6 racial abilities. Some races will have some special abilities.
    - 0 advanced racial abilities. Yes, 0, but I show this because I want you to know that you might be able to improve some of your racial abilities. Learning flight if you are some winged race (lizardmen?).
    - 2 heroic abilities. I started on Friday with them, so is ok. They are abilities to use only once during a dungeon.
    - 1 plot abilites. Some abilities (or knightly orders) will give you them. They are pretty simple and do probably nothing but some items might be more powerful if you have one of those. The only one done is Divine Purity that does nothing by itself but some Holy weapons will deal more damage if you have it.
    - 7 minor basic spells.
    - 10 major basic spells. Normally you choose 1 major basic spell or 2 minor basic spells.
    - 3 advanced spells. They aren't divided into minor and major, just advanced spells. I definitely have to work on more spells.
    - 7 starting items. I have to add more but they are simple and basic items like a rope or a bedroll.
    - 12 basic items. They are basically weapons and armors. There are no basic rings.
    - 11 level 1 items. Actually much more because in the basic item list I listed all the different weapons and in the level 1 items I just listed (weapons with +1 attack).
    - 11 level 2 items.
    - 6 level 3 items. The starting level is 1 and the level is measured by the amount of abilities you have that didn't start with. So the moment you learn an additional ability you are level 2. Is a pretty simple system and the level of the items is just because some rewards will give you a random item of a specified level.
    - 13 plot items. Some knightly orders will give you an item. Some adventures will give you one as well. Some monsters will drop special plot items.
    - 12 treasure items. Some of them are simple like "gold" or "take a random level 1 item". Some of them are actual items like an amulet or some boots. I wanted to make treasures because items can be bought but treasures can't.
    - 17 monsters. But will have 19 on Monday as I just won an auction of two rat ogres and the caretakers? All the monsters have the full profile and the profile is different if you are playing with 1, 2, 3 or 4 heroes (the game for now is just 1 to 4 coop). This is because the number of monsters is the same for each number of heroes although when playing with a single hero you get an extra action and a bonus on health because the difference between 1 and 2 heroes is huge. For example a skeleton with spear has 2 health for 1 player, 4 for 2 players, 5 for 3 players and 6 for 4 players and will always spawn 5 (other will be a die roll). Now that I write it I'll have to probably re-read them to balance them a bit more but it doesn't matter at all if the game is different with 1 and 4 players. Also, some of their stats will increase as the heroes grow. For example said skeleton has an armor of 1, toughness of 0 and 1 attack action. When the heroes get to level 2 the skeleton will have 2 armor. When they reach level 3 the skeleton will have 1 toughness and when they reach level 4 the skeletons will gain an extra attack action.
    - 8 different adventures. I saw the adventures of warhammer quest to try to get some inspiration (or copy if needed) but apart from a few of them, most of them are the same, "once you kill all the monster do a test on an adjacent square to the fountain, statue or whatever, I wrote some adventures that have completely different rules, from starting inside the dungeon in a prison cell to an against the clock adventure because you are being pursued by tons of orcs. Will have also simple adventures to hack and slash! But want to create adventures that just by reading them you want to play them.

The idea is to making it compatible with any components by not stating the exact tile you have to use and just "hallway", "small room" or "big room" or "objective room" so you can use any stuff you have. Anyways with the psd templates available you could create and print your own cards (I do that with drivethrucards).

The rules document has 30 pages and the mechanics are simple. I use only d6 (so is easier to play and to have more dice) but that limits the space design as a +1 is higher than in a +12 where a +1 helps but doesn't make that much of a difference. However I think is simple enough. To attack you just roll a 1d6 and adds your attack value and subtract the armor value. 4+ is a hit in the overall result is a hit although a roll of 1 will always be a miss and a 6 will always be a hit. Some items will give you a +1 but also some items or spells will make you "ethereal" and that will ignore all the armor and attack values for example stating that might need a 5+ to hit for example. Then you roll the damage of the weapon and subtract the toughness. Also you have the right to answer one attack per turn (more if you get the proper abilities) but this is a simple way of explaining how the game works. Last thing as I don't want (or I think I can't because of the rules) explain everything here will just list the profile table of the characters.

Primary:
    - Hitpoints: the health obviously.
    - Attack points
    - Armor points
    - Toughness
    - Speed: the amount of squares to move
    Secondary:
    - Will
    - Fortitude
    - Reflexes
    - Perception/awareness

Secondary are used for spells, arcane will use Will and divine will use Fortitude. Some abilities will test one against the other (knockdown or tumble). Every char has 2 actions, one movement action and one additional action that can also be movement, but also an attack ... etc. The movement action is just movement and can't be changed. You can get more actions with abilities.

And last thing I wanted to tell about the system is that the spell casting is a mix between WHQ, WH, D&D ... you have a number of dice depending on the abilities you got and each spell has a difficulty. You have to admin those dice because they get moved apart once you have used them and won't refresh until the next combat or until you spend a turn recharging/resting. Spells are powerful but you have to be careful with them. Minor spells are easier and with abilities you might be able to cast spells without needing dice if you have the proper stat at the needed level (Will/Fortitude mostly).

So this is my main presentation and hope you understand all the mistakes I made during the posts as English is not my language.

Hope you enjoyed, I really enjoy Warseer and was sad during the weeks it was down. I mainly visit this subforum and I hate harry with the cool stuff he did on his dungeon tiles. There, I said it.

Oh I also hate hagen88 because he painted some AWESOME bretonnians and they were my starting army when I started collecting. Everyone needs to see his post: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...e-of-Bretonnia Some of the images are broken but just imagine the best bretonnian and you'll have it.

Cheers to everyone who read everything.

P.S. ignore the white dots on the images, is the cut&upload program I use (created by me ... that's why it sucks) and those should probably be pure black but are pure white by default.

Great start to your project. And your kitchen has a very nice view too!

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by ModernKiwi View Post
    Great start to your project. And your kitchen has a very nice view too!
    That was the main reason we rented this apartment! Sunny days are a wonder, sadly this is Ireland

Great start! Can't wait to see more of this!
    The Tabletop Showcase - A new forum dedicated solely to Project Logs and Showcases - Join us now!

The Daniel36 Chronicles - My Project Log
    My Warseer Heroes : JuicyTomatoes - Emperor Norton - Harry - Lord Dan - Ramius4 - Naitsabes - Little Joe - Boreas_NL
    (in no particular order)

Brother Sergeant

I had just a bit of a progress:

The entrance was covered with gesso and then with more pva glue and paper and then more gesso ... so is a bit of a pain to work with it because everytime you have to wait at least 12 hours to continue with it.

I painted 6 skeletons archers... not a lot of things to say here as they are plain simple, is just that again, those skelis take time, you have to glue the pelvis with the two legs to the torso, then each feet to each leg, then each arm, then the head and then each weapon as the hand is open ... so they are very fragile (no drybrush!)

The paint scheme is very simple but I like them and is on par with the other skeletons I have (white undercoat and then a wash of agrax earthshade).

Next is to prime some minotaurs and some chaos warhounds that I'll paint red (the warhounds) as I want them to represent some sort of hell hounds and don't want to spend a lot of time painting them. Of course the eyes, the bones, the honrs ... won't be red but there won't be a different color from the fur and the body. Will be red with orange highlights.

Baby steps.

Brother Sergeant

Some chaos warhounds. I painted them red to make them look like demonic or hell dogs. They explode after dying causing some damage to nearby adventurers. Beware heroes!

The only real glossy part is the black (horns and claws) because my black (vallejo game color) leaves a glossy touch that I honestly love. The rest is matte but the picture lies. Also, loving the transparent bases:

Is a pretty lazy paint scheme but I really like the result, they really look to me like hell dogs and they won't always appear in the dungeon so I'll center my efforts in the heroes and big bosses. Happy to finish in a couple of hours a batch of 8. Next I have some rat ogres and their pack masters that I have to assemble. Also the 3 minotaurs (beastmen) more skeletons (they'll have to wait, is a pain to assemble them) some heroes, the daemon prince ... a lot of stuff in the pipeline. Probably will go with a chaos warrior that tried to convert to make him a hero but looked too evil, even if the game will have chaos knights as heroes, this one looked to evil so will probably be a final boss.

Hope to paint a lot during the weekend!

Brother Sergeant

Two more heroes, a human warrior (although might be bellow average height) and a human chaos knight that left the chaos armies to become an adventurer but keeping all the power the chaos gods gave him, therefore his huge size:

Again, the paintjob looks sloppy but on the table look really good, I always hate zooming my miniatures

Brother Sergeant

I've advanced with the rules and I'm keeping everything updated here: http://wallack.es/freequest/

Very cool dungeon set-up!
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/