Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Beta

Utumno Prime, Throne World of the Iron Warriors 13th

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Beta

So if any of you didn't know, the BFG games beta has been up for a few days now and I only just got a few hours of play in last night but I have to say it's awesome, even in beta. Ability to cutomize your ships and crews and lots of special abilities that mimic the orders from the table top game was definitely fun for a vet of the old game like myself. Also momentum is a thing like in the old game, and you can still lose a game while coming out ahead by destroying or crippling multiple ships and then vacating the field of battle via warping out. Over all makes a fun experience I would definelty give it a try.
    "From iron cometh strength! From strength cometh will! From will cometh faith! From faith cometh honour! From honour cometh iron!"
    —Unbreakable Litany of the Iron Warriors

My Horus Heresy Plog:
    Iron Warriors Legion (13th Grand Company 3820 pts) - Taghmata Omnisiah (Shar Ondar 2090 pts) -Solar Auxilia (Thracian Janissaries 1090 pts) - Questoris Knight House (Ghara Adesa Hatyara 845 pts)

Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Beta

i am LOVING IT, they have got the feel of game down to T for the 2 fleets available so far and i cant wait for the general release.
    If you like the Horus Heresy, mediocre painting and terrible camera work, check out my plog! For The Emperor and Sanguinius!

Mat Ward Fact #1432- To appease the few wargamers dissatisfied with his work, Mat Ward has used his own money to set up a help-line for them to call. Please dial 1-800-WHOGIVESA****
    Guild up to join the Mat Ward Defence League!

I'm having a tough time with my Slaanesh fleet but it's fun.
    I want to try out the orks tho

Yeah so far the orks have been hard in the campaign mission. Also been having trouble with assassination type missions player the defender but still having fun. Just unlocked a second cruiser slot!
    "From iron cometh strength! From strength cometh will! From will cometh faith! From faith cometh honour! From honour cometh iron!"

My Horus Heresy Plog:
    Iron Warriors Legion (13th Grand Company 3820 pts) - Taghmata Omnisiah (Shar Ondar 2090 pts) -Solar Auxilia (Thracian Janissaries 1090 pts) - Questoris Knight House (Ghara Adesa Hatyara 845 pts)

I'm eagerly awaiting the full release. Well, a more patched version that's at least past beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meriwether
    That's Darnok for ya: No matter what it is, he'll make it fit.

Chapter Master

I'm waiting to see some gameplay videos. There are an exciting number of space games this year, but... some are not turning out so well (Master of Orion), and I'm not willing to get burned again.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Google Valrak. He has a few videos up of gameplay. The game is getting very good reviews, and looks like a lot of fun. Once I have some cash, I will grab it.

Single-player campaign is fairly bare-bones from what I hear. The Multiplayer is a lot of fun though, and is garnering the game most of its attention.
    ...to the last, I grapple with thee; from hell's heart, I stab at thee; for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee

Quote Originally Posted by Freak Ona Leash View Post
    Single-player campaign is fairly bare-bones from what I hear. The Multiplayer is a lot of fun though, and is garnering the game most of its attention.
    That's unfortunately why I'll give it a pass.

I'm just having fun leveling up ships vs the AI and learning everything. It's still in beta so I don't know how people can comment on the campaign when it doesn't allow you to go past turn 2 in my experience.

My Horus Heresy Plog:

Yeah, don't see how you can say that the campaign is barebones when all you can do is the tutorial essentially.
    It looks like there is alot more to it with capturing sectors which gives you bonuses and making sure that the sectors don't fall into rebellion due to chaotic influence.

Well like I said, was only working off what I had heard others say. Glad to hear it's even more involved than I thought. Will buy it and try it out on my own soon.
    ...to the last, I grapple with thee; from hell's heart, I stab at thee; for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee

Just started playing multiplayer today. Much harder than fighting vs the ai, but more tactical. I feel like it really captures what space combat would be like in 40k or even in real-life. Get in, do as much damage as you can, and then warp out before you lose your valuable ships. I lost my first few games but didn't lose a ship, just concentrated on blowing up or crippling my opponents and then warped out before he could kill mine (if I got too low). Now I have 2 wins and a Gothic cruiser under my belt and feeling good lol.

Only downside is it keeps crashing after every other game.

My Horus Heresy Plog:

Quote Originally Posted by agurus1 View Post
    J
    Only downside is it keeps crashing after every other game.
    Space station assault as attacker, crashes for me every, damn, time.
    If you like the Horus Heresy, mediocre painting and terrible camera work, check out my plog! For The Emperor and Sanguinius!

Mat Ward Fact #1432- To appease the few wargamers dissatisfied with his work, Mat Ward has used his own money to set up a help-line for them to call. Please dial 1-800-WHOGIVESA****

Chapter Master

I'm pretty disturbed that the release date is still in flux at this stage. It looks like the game needs several more months, rather than a couple weeks.
    And lo, the Return!

Cerberus

It plays like the artwork, rather than the tabletop. I.e. ships fighting at distances of several km, rather than several tens of thousands of km.

There are a few mechanics that afaik didn't ever appear on the tabletop.

No mention yet if it'd allow mod support.

Its on my wishlist on steam, I am in two minds if i should pick it up, I enjoyed the table top game immensely

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf View Post
    Its on my wishlist on steam, I am in two minds if i should pick it up, I enjoyed the table top game immensely
    I suspect I won't. It's hitting the nostalgia button really hard, but the gameplay I've seen hasn't impressed me. it didn't help that the gameplay video I got directed to had the player chasing chaos destroyers around in a circle for five minutes while they ineffectually ground away at each other's hull points.

Bah. Watched totalbiscuit play orks for a bit, but he's stopped and the twitch vod is subscribers only. Orks seemed pretty dynamic (full power to engines and all sorts of assault shenanigans)
    Last edited by Voss; 26-03-2016 at 00:38.
    And lo, the Return!

Orks are hilariously fun to play with/against, i am now 100% sold on this game, the factions are proving fun and pretty balanced, the attention to lore is grand and their willingness to change things based on the feedback is heart-warming. Plus now we have 6 confirmed fleets!
    Last edited by nagash66; 30-03-2016 at 11:14.

So why did they have to make an RTS of it? For me this is a real bummer. I love the tabletop BFG and was excited by the announcement of the game. Then I saw gameplay videos and my heart sunk. RTS? Minor warp jumps? Time pause? Hectic gameplay? Whyyyyy???
    VIGILO

CONFIDO

Orks seem slightly op to me arm, maybe just cause they are so new. They can field a stupid amount of ships for the points, and that combined with the fact that no balancing has been done concerning Level or wargear differences means a newer chaos or imperial player could be facing a larger amount of Orks ships that also happen to all be lvl10 and fully upgraded (could still happen vs other factions but the pricyness of their ships mitigates this a bit imho). Happened to a buddy of mine a few times while he was trying to get his starter fleet off the ground.

Overall I think gameplay is fine besides the few balancing issues. Folks saying "well it doesn't really depict the tabletop game accurately cause the engagements were supposed to be happening at 100km apart" are just lying to themselves. BFG tabletop game you could still ram each other's ships or launch boarding actions or teleportation attacks and that for sure wasn't supposed to be happening 100km away from each other. There are still plenty of tactical range and customizable parts of the game available to keep me interested (recently started focusing two of my light cruisers to specialize in either being super fast/agile or super hard to detect to better win assassination or data missions as the defender. Also excited to see what the campaign does when they open that up for beta, and 2v2 missions sound like fun as well.

Biggest things they need to address are balancing player Lvls (and therefore levels of the ships in a fleet) and upgrades. You can currently field two ships that may only on the face be worth 200 points in a battle but have like 400points of upgrades. Doesn't matter so much vs players of the same lol but vs a newer player or newer fleet it's going to cause balancing issues.
    Last edited by agurus1; 01-04-2016 at 07:09.

My Horus Heresy Plog:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast