Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts

Greetings! This log will contain all non-evil dwarf related commercial sculpts of mine.

First out, a few of the storage vessels etc. I'm sculpting for Zealot Miniatures to be cast for dungeon detail kits. They'll pick and choose suitable sculpts at their leisure. Night Goblin for scale. From left to right: Giant seashell plate with seeds, dirt or suchlike plus skull; pot; square glass flask; rope bundle; eel trap cage; ceramic plates pile; crude twig pot:

Reference picture below, upon which most sculpts of this order will be roughly based. Blue stars are finished slots, red stars are not to be sculpted since they're already present in Zealot Miniatures' range:

Comments and critiscism are as welcome as ever!

1/4 of sculpts done:

Roughly 1/3 of sculpts done, including oil lamps and law code stele based on Hammurabi's 4000 year old one (so no copyright issues there!):

Various small stuff done, including scrying ball, ammonite, sharp crystal and a footless statuette based on Venus of Willendorf:

About half of the clutter pieces are finished now, including an ornate cauldron based upon one panel of the Celtic silver importware Gundestrup cauldron unearthed in that land-that-ought-to-be-a-conquered-province, Denmark:

Re: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts

Skull time:

This is why amphorae have pointy bases. Sticking them in sand is an ancient storage solution, particularly onboard ships:

And a churn:

Those are some great flavour adding pieces you have created.

Quote Originally Posted by Karak Norn Clansman View Post
    This is why amphorae have pointy bases. Sticking them in sand is an ancient storage solution, particularly onboard ships:
    Thanks for that, I was always baffled looking at those pointy bottoms. I always thought it was good for amphorae production, but crap for shipping purposes.

@ModernKiwi: Thanks! I hope people will like them and use them in many dungeons and on minis and terrain pieces.

@StygianBeach: The pointy ends of amphorae was entirely a design solution for storage and shipping. Aside from sticking them in sand, you could stick them in a sort of inner hull ladder lining the walls, and stack them on top each other:

So you see, spiky bitz isn't such a modern phenomenon after all.

First of two double-faced runestones completed, based on this and this runestone. Included, a simple globe so you can map out your fantasy world. Also, there's a drinking cup with the very Roman motifs of war and love, because nothing screams "ancient" like gutsy 2D scenes.

And a barrel goblin:

You have quite a talent, those sculpts are amazing! I will pay the Zealot website a visit...
    Check out my Mordheim scenery! NOW! I mean... Please... Only if you want to of course...
    Get your ale while it's still hot! And discover why Stirland should rule The Empire...

Quote Originally Posted by minitrol View Post
    Words cannot describe how I feel about your gamers room soooo Best... Feedback... Ever!!!
    My new personal hobby blog: Toy Soldiers off to War

Really nice sculpts, Karak! I love the barrel goblin And the runestones are cool too. The skulls are also well sculpted, especially the top one of the three.

Riktigt snyggt!

Wowser! Incredible work. And fantastic that you're able to do this commercially. Would love to see more on the comedy goblin front!

I love all this detail. I recognize a couple pieces from art history courses over the years!
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

@Boreas_NL: Thank you kindly, sir! Please do.

@Esco.sv: Tack så mycket! Really nice to hear from someone talented at sculpting such as yourself.

@Ademo: Thanks! Mayhaps there'll be later on, but for now the impaled Goblin below is all the new bleak comedy on offer.

@benvoliothefirst: Thanks! Haha, that's the plan. Apart from being fun to sculpt, ancient artworks might act as a customer bait.

@mrtn: Tackar! I hope you'll like what we've got in store for the future here, then.

Finished Dungeon Clutter Sculpts for Zealot Miniatures

It's done, or rather, the first wave is finished. It's possible Zealot might want some more pieces later on, such as sacks, household altar and the like. They told me they were content with the current amount so I stopped when this bunch was completed this evening.

Here is the basis reference picture as it stands, blue stars for sculpted bits:

Last batch of the lot:

Close-ups, including thin landmasses and islands added to the globe as per Zealot Miniatures' request. These will be easy to scrape away:

Impaled Goblin, based on Assyrian reliefs:

Demonic portal:

And all the gang together, 3 months' worth of sculpting:

Next up, Elf Archer of ancient times!

@mrtn: He had it coming! You can guess what will happen when a collector who plays some kind of Dwarfs in every game system, even sci-fi, tries his hand at sculpting Gobbos.

Elf Archer of Ancient Times

Lower body scalemail finished.

Littleborough, Lancashire. Hub of the Universe

I really really REALLY like these. It's not just that you've made very decent sculpts of the items on your archaeological photo collage shopping list, but its the little tweaks you've added, like, the bubbles in the Gundestrup cauldron for instance (I'm a fan of that in particular because it's on the front cover of a book I still have from my childhood). There's so much good stuff here, ranging from real world artefacts to unfortunate goblins. The group shot looks like a cleaned-up haul from an archeological dig. Very splendid :-)

@Abraham Dangelbreech: Cheers and thanks! It is indeed an archaeological shopping list, and I hope others also have one in mind when these get released.

Work goes forward step by step on the monopose archer. All grey stuff areas are unfinished basis:

The undetailed basis for the Elf's back package is finished, and some work has gone into making the sculpt more mould-friendly with less sharp undercuts. However, when sculpting the head I've struck upon a problem, as amateurs are wont to do. With my poor eye-measurement, I simply cannot tell for myself, so I'd appreciate if you could help me out here:

Is the helmeted head too large?

Please keep in mind that if the body seems too thin in comparison, I can either bulk out the torso and limbs some before making their details, or allow those body parts' details to do the bulking-out. (The helmet's details would be done in a more delicate fashion, so as to not enlargen the headgear very much.) Is the head and body fine as is? Need the body be bulked out some? Or should the head be redone from scratch?

Advice is needed.

Great work so far!
    I don't think the head is too big, on the contrary I'd consider enlarging his forehead a smidgen. I should probably try sculpting scale mail like that, would be good for my Romans.

@mrtn: Thank you kindly! The helmet does indeed make such a head size possible. Forehead was planned to be enlarged at detail stage, but it got done with the resculpt instead. Try it out for sure, but beware that this diamond-style scalemail is timeconsuming to make.

Taking all feedback from various sites and friends together, roughly half says yay and the other half nay. I hope the below resculpt will make everyone say yay:

Veteran Sergeant My_Geeky_Persona's Avatar

Awesome work. I'm going to have to pick up that set for kit bashes, bases and dioramas. The portal is my personal favourite.

The eleven archer is definitely a yay now.

Your scale mail is so (Elvishly) neat. How do you go about sculpting it?

MGP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast