Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts

Re: Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts

You are very talented man. Cool sculpts! If you need help painting them i'll throw my hat in the ring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking stuff as usual. You definitely got an eye for details.

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

@My_Geeky_Persona: Thank you kindly! Zealot Miniatures sounded confident in them releasing the portal somewhere down the line, should these first kits sell well. As for tutorial, see below. The method is simple, but surprisingly time-consuming to get right. You might want to start experiment on a small scale, such as on a single sleeve.

@lybban: Tackar! Then buy the models. :cheese:

Just kidding, although you're welcome to do that, too, of course. I'm currently giving away so many freebies of each kit that I'm reluctant to hand out more at the time being. But you are an accomplished painter and that'd give excellent advertisement pictures... Let me consider it for a while, please. Would you by any chance be interested in putting such freebies to the front row of your painting queue? That'd mean both relative speed and quality, which'll probably win me over solidly. Gotta support Swedish painters.

@Esco.sv: Tack så mycket! I hope the fortcoming web of details on the archer will end up well. Bit of a challenge.

Dungeon Clutter
    Zealot Miniatures has released the first dungeon clutter kits. If these prove popular, there will be more incoming.

Break out the spending wallet! :chrome:

Unusual Goblins

Impaling based on this ancient Assyrian relief.

Ancient Idols

Including primeval idol based on Venus of Willendorf and stele based on the Law Code of Hammurabi one.

Wizard's Study

Including cat and globe. Land masses are thin and easy to scrape away.

Diamond Scalemail Tutorial
    As per request, here's a quick tutorial for how to do time-consuming diamond scalemail:

Elf Archer Sculpt
    Current state of the archer. Details are getting started, but the bow is shorter than intended (still acceptable in my eyes, though, particularly compared to GW High Elf bows), the left elbow is slightly too low in comparison to shoulder, and the right drawing arm is likewise too low while the head is too straight up, when compared to these excellent archer models. It is too late to change any of these things, partly because of sheer time consumption involved, but particularly since there are large risks involved with any such surgery at this point.

My repeated measurements and eye-estimations nevertheless produced a bow that is shorter than intended. As a composite bow, it'd still carry a punch. Given the pinned needle skeleton of the sculpt, there's too huge a risk of messing things up and introducing inherent instability into the sculpt by removing or replacing the bow, or for that matter, by extending it. Or by cutting away the left arm and attempting a higher resculpt or lowering the head any more (after taking the below photograph, I did that as much as I dare to do). The overall end result isn't perfect by a long shot, but shouldn't be too shabby.

As such, it'll all have to do, though me and my brother have talked through plans to make a handful of large and very ornate Elven longbows held by hands as a separate weapon kit for those wishing longer bows and more bling.

Despite these amateur flaws, I hope you like where this monopose archer regiment of clones is going so far.

Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts

Where do you sell them? I will be on holliday for a month but after that i would love to have a go at something. Of course i meant painting something for you. Not getting something for free for myself. I would absolutely put it first in line!

Miscellaneous Commercial Sculpts

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by lybban View Post
    Double post

Tapatalk is really weird today. Sorry for the spam

If you go to edit your post you can check a box to delete it. Don't know if that works on tapatalk, of course. I often see these sculpts on Tradera, but I'm sure KNC can sell them directly to you.

@lybban: Thanks! I sell them here, here, on some other forums, and via Ebay and Tradera. PM sent.

@mrtn: For sure. Anyone wishing to order, just PM me.

It's fun to add the armour details, though areas which did not look too busy on paper in my eyes do so in green stuff. I always liked the twirly raised details seen on Russian Alternative's Elfin and the Lotr Elves. It gives them a texture mimicking nature that you wouldn't see on Dwarfs.

There are some classical inspiration, more on that below.

Dungeon Oddities - Dungeon Clutter £3.99 at release.

You can find some odd things in a long-forgotten dungeon! This set expands the range of trinkets and dungeon clutter, bringing more life to your underground stone lair.

Elf Archer Sculpt

Summer has not seen much hobby work, but pace is picking up again on the archer. I hope to finish him already this month if possible.

Helmet, bow and boots remain to be done, and gemstones will be added into empty sockets.

For someone who has always overloaded on details it's fun to sculpt the twirly armour ornaments, yet at places they seem too busy on the miniature compared to the sketch. I've already removed a couple of tiny twirls from the breast area. Should the details at gut level be simplified? Are there other issues and solutions you can spot?

At this stage I'm not entirely sure on the direction, but will press on according to the concept drawing and see where it all ends up in miniature form. Perhaps everything will come together when all the details are in place, or when the first casts have been painted.

And now to share some inspirational sources behind this Elven style (more prominent on the greatsword armour sketch), parts of which comes from a few of the better Silmarillion Elf hits when browsing through Google and Deviant Art, by various artists:

Other sources are Greek and Roman designs in general, the usual suspects such as Corinthian helmets and Roman Galea helmets, which has informed lots of Elven designs though the years:

As well as Assyrian archers and Syrian Auxilliary archers in the Roman army with their pointy helmets and the former's half-rounded runic bottom:

Yet most of it is fantasy, and doesn't stay very close to any particular historical style in the case of these Elves.

Elf Archer Sculpt

It ended up no less than in the 32mm scale (akin to Avatars of War), but it's not something that bothers me personally since I've always kept close to some of Tolkien's descriptions of Elves as taller than Humans. That way, Dwarfs seem even shorter and grumpier, which can only be for the good.

It's finished. Or? Last chance to come with feedback to change things!

Next up will be some dungeon mimics for Zealot Miniatures, and simultaneously one or two Elf bitz kits that I promised my brother. When those are done there'll be a special curly beard project again, which I hope you'll like.

Alien Heads

Sculpted on the quick at the request of Bloodbeard, as one of several planned short breaks during the quite lengthy Slave Orc-Slavedriver-Bits sculpting session. You might be able to recognize them as parody versions from a couple of fictional universes.

This alien head bitz kit will test the sci-fi waters. No plans for substantial scifi things to come in the future, but the odd bit and bob and single miniature are likely to show up in the long run (fantasy is firmly in the driver's seat). In due time even historical sculpts are likely to appear, but I want to sharpen several different sculpting skills before attempting historicals:

Looking very good Karak Norn Clansman!

Where can I purchase those heads?
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Thank you! You will be able to purchase them here on Warseer (sales link in my signature), on some other forums, via this blog run by a Danish colleague (E-mail order) and via Ebay.

The heads are currently at their Czech caster, and I have some hopes about receiving them next month already. We'll see, but release won't be too far away. My logs are always updated when a new product is released, so subscription or look-out in the project logs should be sufficient to get notice.

Elf Heavy Archers of Ancient Times

Painted by Cultofkhaine.

Elf Heavy Archers are now released!

In ancient times, the Elven composite bow held sway over vast tracts of land and struck fear and silvern steel into the heart of Orcs and Menfolk. Its reach was long and strong, and the shafts of its arrows marked the end of warbands, armies, cities and tribes alike. It was likened unto lightning, for it was death upon steppe and highlands; plains and mountains; swamps and deserts; forests and seas alike. This ranged weapon was the favourite tool of death for the multitude of Elven tribes, realms and city-states which dominated such vast regions. By composite bow and spear and blade did the dreaded Elves crush any resistance from lesser races underheel within their bloodied spheres of influence, and wherever their cohorts and legions marched, mortals trembled and turned to their gods in fear.

In ancient times, death came all too often at the sharp steel end of an Elven arrow, and often the victims had little clue as to why they must die, for the needs and wants, desires and reasons for action of the haughty elder tribes remained locked behind arrogance and veils of mystery. The true secrets of the Elven composite bows' manufacture remained likewise ever locked within Elven minds and appears to have never truly spread unto other races except for in heroic legends. The composite bows of the Elves were fabled not only for their sheer power and rumoured enchantments, for they were known far and wide for their intricate and demanding making, which went to excesses that corresponding Human bowyers would never dare imagine. Whatever magic and munande craftskills went into the creation of these deadly weapons, the results were composite bows and strings able to withstand wet and cold and salt without slacking, which enabled Elven archers to roam in any clime, at any altitude, without their shots weakening. Thus were laid the foundations of carnage without end nor limit.

In ancient times, mortals lived violent lives filled with hardships and trials, and the landscapes of the world were awash in blood and feuding. Yet for all the savagery of the nomadic hordes and barbaric settled peoples, few calamities were as feared as the wars of Elven tribes, whether against each other or against lesser races. Raids and invasions alike saw the deaths of Men, Orcs, Goblins and many more races. None were spared this terror. In great numbers did nomads and savages drop dead under the hail of Elven arrows. Great and terrible wars were fought between Elves and Dwarfs, as the strongest civilizations beneath the skies grasped for vengeance, power and territory. Uncounted masses of younger mortals, enslaved or free, were constantly caught up in the maelstrom of conflict, and the bones of the perished ones littered the ground from sea to sea, arrows protruding from skulls and ribcages. For this was an age of empires, and their wars ravaged the world as greatly as their monuments and achievements soared.

And in the midst of this swirling chaos, the power of the bow endured for millennia.

Elven archery came in many forms whether with worldly or otherworldly arrows, whether magically touched or poisoned or flaming, or merely a rain of silvern arrowheads glinting deadly in the light cast by sun, moon or torches as it fell upon the foe. Elven archery came in the form of ambushes, and it came in the form of assassinations. Likewise Elven archery came in the form of sharpshooters clearing the skies or battlements of besieged walls, and it came in the form of mounted bowmen terrorizing the steppe lands and beyond. Yet most iconic of all the shapes it took in ancient times were the disciplined bowline, with ranks upon ranks of heavily armoured Elven composite archers standing tall in rigid lines born out of endless drills, drawing, nocking and loosing their arrows as if all the hundreds of bowmen were one and the same being. Along with the lockstep advance of Elven phalanxes, they were the very image of order on the battlefield, and their regimented display alone awed foes and unnerved lesser mortals to whom such firmness and exactitude were otherworldly in the midst of carnage. The bewildering manoeuvers and feats of shooting pulled off by such line companies of Elven archers were the stuff of sagas and fear among the feral tribes of many races, and even the tough Dwarfs acknowledged their value as warriors, however grudgingly.

These were ages of fire and bloodshed, of primal fear, ruthless greed and titanic ambitions. The hunger for power was fed at the point of blades and arrows, and great deeds of glory and infamy alike lived on in legend long after all characters involved had turned to ash and dust. One of the Elf archer companies which won eternal fame were prince Draecarion's Longbows, who pioneered the next level ranged weapon of Elven armies and reaped bloody and fantastic achievements upon the battlefield, including shooting the black dragon Maeranichas clear from the sky at Ivory Rock; out-shooting the malignant Dwarf handgunners at Hierlan Ford; and massacring the elite human foot soldiers of emperor Mignusian III's Jackal Guard despite their closed ranks of tower shields and fine heavy armour. Some heavy Elven archers who knew renown were mercenaries, like the Teal Cloaks of Jaendrath Bloodeye, the Swan Feathers or the Hundred For Hire of disinherited prince Maelgor, famous for singlehandedly suppressing the legions of defenders upon the great city walls of Toraxaslan with a withering shower of arrows, which allowed swordsmen to climb the walls by ladder, virtually unchallenged during their long and perilous ascent. Other Elven heavy archers of note were uncannily accurate and could shoot into the eyes of quick and nimble small birds in the sky, such as the Goldbow company were known to do, or hunting schools of flying fish across the wavy sea's surface in the manner of the Kraken Patrol of the island city-state of Finalgon.

Whatever their feats and glory in war, Elven archery skills by far surpassed those of Dwarfs and Men and Goblins, and the ease with which the Elves handled their silvern bows seemed to deny the inacurracy inherent in such weapons. Massed Elven archery backed by ballistae, sorcery, hunting eagles and javelins were likened unto a symphony of death from afar, yet one need not look to such sophisticated musical pieces to glimpse the capabilities of Elf archers, nor to face the scorn with which they viewed the prey of their arrows:

"Out on field of fair Roenalloth,
    a foul horde roamed in stink and sloth,
    fed old on bark and young on broth,
    red lice in hair, kilts torn by moth,
    out-hollowed cheeks and rabid froth,
    black pelts of rats sewn into cloth,
    these filthy Men met Elves in wroth.

A princeling son of Mannish chief,
    came forth an' 'splayed muscles like beef,
    in gurgled tongue he blamed Elves thief,
    for stealing his kin's coast and reef,
    wishing back his tribe's lost fief,