Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My NEW Ulthwe Army Log

My NEW Ulthwe Army Log

Hi all.
    After the recent Warseer crash I decided to start again my plog dedicated to my beloved Ulthwe Eldar.

I would like to post all the old stuff in a better fashion, and some WIP as well. Right now I'm really intrigued by the last Eldar Codex and its new Warhost formations. Personally I was waiting that since the old Epic game: I always missed a real army formation for the Eldar in 40K. So for the beginning I'm painting a Guardian Battlehost (very proper for Ulthwe, I guess).

As appetizer, voila this Farseer, which is my new avatar. It's a very old conversion and I painted it some months ago. It's not really special, but it's my first try with light point technique. As usual comments are welcome.

Re: My NEW Ulthwe Army Log

Here my Guardians WIP.
    I'm doing the highlight job using Grey Fang, which I like because it's got a little blue tone. Working on black armours/hulls sometimes can be frustrating because you have to get a "negative" or "neon" effect in order to give definition on a completely black model. But it's Ultwhe, and I like it. [DISCLAIMER: as you see, english is not my native language. I struggle to make sentences with a sense, so be patient please ).

I will paint the heads separately, using an airbrush.

I painted separately these little bits as well. Tweezers helped a lot.

That gunner belongs to an already finished defender squad. That's how the final result should be.
    Last edited by Homeworld; 17-04-2016 at 20:41.

Looking very awesome. I like shadow grey/the fang for the black highlights too, adds a little colour and makes it look more three dimensional

Thank you.
    Agree. Long time ago I used a mix of dark blue, but it was too much (with yellow helms, a kind of dark Alaitoc ). Besides, highlighting grey fang with Fenrysian grey (+ a bit of white) is quick and gives a good result.

Next step.

I finished the grey highlight, and bleached bone on the catapults too.

Personally it's my favourite moment in painting, when models start to get definition and I have fun adding further highlights and little details.

This one is going to be the squad leader.

Very cool!
    Are you in Tokyo? If so, PM me. I'm looking for more gamers!
    Project Logs:
    Dark Eldar (ongoing) and Skaven (dead) and Digital Wastrel, my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspringer View Post
    Very cool!
    Thank you! Your Dark Eldar are really good too.

Now I'm working on Guardians' heads. At first a touch of light orange...

...and then a yellow layer.

I'm not very good using the air-brush, but I like the way it makes smooth shades and uniform layers on models. According to my point of view, yellow can be a tricky colour: sometimes it's difficult to paint it evenly on surfaces.
    Last edited by Homeworld; 18-04-2016 at 19:42.

Great to see the classic "yellow head" Ulthwe colour scheme! I've always much preferred it to the bone head look.
    Beautifully executed too, look forward to seeing more progress.
    Last edited by BoyMilla; 17-04-2016 at 23:21. Reason: spelling
    Check out my log of random things here.
    Currently painting Iyanden Eldar

Quote Originally Posted by BoyMilla View Post
    Great to see the classic "yellow head" Ulthwe colour scheme! I've always much preferred it to the bone head look.
    Beautifully executed too, look forward to seeing more progress.
    Ah . You know, I started with Ulthwe Eldar over 20 years ago. For me, black and yellow IS Ulthwe. Period.

I added a bit of light yellow to helms. I think they're better now.

And I glued loaders and grenades. Next time I will glue the heads and I will start the last touches.

Most glad to see another 'yellow' Ulthwe army - it's really the best in my opinion. Lovin' the Eldrad conversion to boot... keep it up!

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Great painting. I like the psychic power effect on your Farseer.

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

Excellent stuff. Love the bold, bright yellow over the bone/white Ulthwe often gets. Really helps your army stand out.

Thank you all
    In few days I'd like to post further steps. I'm getting involved with these Guardians!

Hello again.
    In the end I had not so much spare time in the past days, nevertheless I finished highlights on loaders and canisters.

And then I glued the head and did more grey highlight on a single guardian, as a test.

Suddenly I realize that I still have a lot of job to do...

Looking cool! I like that you went for yellow helmets.

Looks great!!
    Check out my log of random things here.
    Currently painting Iyanden Eldar

Looking good, clean and crisp, though personally I'm not sure the extra highlight on the grey is an improvement. Makes it feel a bit neon-tron.

Quote Originally Posted by PossumCraft View Post
    Looking good, clean and crisp, though personally I'm not sure the extra highlight on the grey is an improvement. Makes it feel a bit neon-tron.
    I think I know what you mean. Probably it's a matter of lighting.

Here a comparison between a cold direct light (left) and a warm and diffuse light (right). Given that I'm not at all a skilled photographer, in my experience a smooth grey highlight on black models tends to disappear on a game table, under an average light. That's why I apply some "shining" spot over certain armour edges. Actually they're barely recognizable during a game but it helps to exalt a little the models' lines.
    Consider that the overall effect is much more "grey" than "blue lighting".

On the other hand, the "neon effect" risk is a thing, as you correctly pointed out.

No it looks much less neon in the standard light, you're right. Good job

Okay. A little time passed. Been busy.

And I had to finish this sword for my knight, for a tournament.

But the Guardians are almost finished too.

Just adding the spirit stones, finishing bases and maybe some little details. And the whole platform, of course

The squad leader.

My favourite type of gunner (from the pair).
    Last edited by Homeworld; 03-06-2016 at 18:34.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast