Thread: Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters Month 8 (March completed & April WiP)

Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters Month 8 (March completed & April WiP)

Hi everyone, please note due to the lengthy period of downtime the site experienced earlier this month we are combining months 6 & 7 together this time around.

Welcome to the Tale of Age of Sigmar Painters 2015-2016!

What is the Tale all about?
    The goal of the Tale of Painters is to get an army fully painted within the next 12 months.

Because of the fluid nature of the AoS system your army can be as large or as small as you wish it to be, for the purposes of the tale we will measure army size in warscrolls (though if you wish to pattern your army after one of the fan-made comp. packs that are available or even points values based on a previous edition of warhammer fantasy battle please feel free).

Your army theme is your own, if you want to draw scrolls from multiple factions/Grand Alliances or even include terrain warscrolls then that is your prerogative, let your creativity run wild!

Your target is to paint roughly 10% of your army each month. For example, if you've chosen an army of 20 Warscrolls then your monthly target would be 2 warscrolls. The Tale runs for one year (September 2015 to August 2016), so if you stick to your 10% monthly target then you'll only need to paint for 10 months of the year.

To cover the months when you can't/don't paint, you get 2 Jokers. You can play a Joker at any time (provided you haven't used them both up!), which essentially means that you don't have to meet your target for that month. They can used for real life events (such as births, deaths, marriages, exams, holidays) or if you're just having a bad/slow month. If you use a Joker then feel free to post a suitable image instead (of a Joker or something funny).

What is this thread all about?
    This thread is for completed work from the previous month (sept) and later, for work in progress (WIP) shots of what you a working on for this month. Please do not post any completed work for this month in this thread.

Feel free to post any WIP pictures of what you're going to be painting this month, army lists, background stories, battle reports, questions, and comments on anyone else's posts. You can post as little or as much as you like in the thread, but please keep it WIP. Do not post any completed work for this month until after the next thread opens at the start of next month.

Things to note
    1. It's not too late!
    If you want to join the Tale midway through that's absolutely fine, just post on this thread with the army/faction/Grand Alliance/theme of the force you are building and the goal (preferably in warscrolls) that you want to work towards and I will add you to the roster.

2. FAQ
    The original sign up thread and Tale FAQ can be found here >> http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...Sign-up-thread

If you have any further questions please ask them, either by posting them below, or by shooting me a PM

3. Commenting on other peoples work
    Now is the time to post pics of your completed work for March, it would be great to spur each other on with lots of encouraging and constructive comments. Later in the month, once everyone has posted their completed work (usually around the 10th) I would encourage everyone to put up some comments for the other participants in the tale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Konovalev View Post
    Warseer's Warhammer General has become like a nerdy Jerry Springer. It's quite entertaining.
    Calling all AoS fans, please consider joining Warseer's first Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters

Re: Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters Month 8 (March completed & April WiP)

Altsain - various AoS releases - 81/All the Warscrolls
    Artoris - Skaven - 2/10 Warscrolls
    beastofnurgle - Nurgle Chaos - 10/10 warscrolls
    Booah - Death - 4/10 Warscrolls
    Booah - chaos -3/10 Warscrolls
    Booah - destruction - 10/10 Warscrolls
    Booah - order - 9/10 Warscrolls
    ChaosGrobi - Khorne bloodbound - 1/7 warscrolls, jokers used - 1/2
    Darth Alec - Undead - 5/15 Warscrolls
    Djoblo - Stormcast Eternals - 1/10 Warscrolls
    Dunk - Orcs & Goblins and Chaos Warriors - 6/10 Warscrolls, jokers used 0/2
    Elfhead - Slaanesh Chaos - 6/10 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Flipmode - chaos - 0/5 warscrolls
    gogs78 - chaos & aelfs - 1/10 Warscrolls
    Gorthor21 - Stormcast Eternals - 11/20 Warscrolls
    Hagen88 - mortal realms tribe of ghur - 0/4 Warscrolls
    Jullevi - Stormcast Eternal - 0/6 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Jullevi - Khorne Bloodbound - 0/6 Warscrolls
    Kherith - Elves - 2/10 Warscrolls
    Lordmonkey - elves - 3/12 Warscrolls
    Makure - Forces of destruction - 0/10 Warscrolls, jokers used - 1/2
    meet.the.doctor - Orcs & Goblins, Khorne bloodbound - 11/16 Warscrolls
    Mr Feral - Skaven/Chaos - 4/10 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Reggiesson - Stormcast eternals - 4/10 Warscrolls
    Roostmanuva - Stormcast, Chaos & Forest Grots - 8/20 Warscrolls
    Shadowmancer - skaven - 1/10 Warscrolls
    SlyRebirth - Stormcast Eternal/Khorne Bloodbound - 8/20 warscrolls, jokers used - 0/2
    Spiney Norman - Khorne Chaos - 10/20 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Vazalar - Stormcast Eternals/forces of order - 1/10 Warscrolls, 2/2 jokers used
    Versatilebeats - Chaos - 4/12 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Last edited by Spiney Norman; 01-05-2016 at 23:13.
    Warseer's Warhammer General has become like a nerdy Jerry Springer. It's quite entertaining.
    Calling all AoS fans, please consider joining Warseer's first Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters

Let me start this month of with the lord of my Slaaneshi elven cultists: Thalion, the golden prince.
    You can find some more pics, work in progress and a piece of fluff in my Plog, here.

edit: I forgot all this.
    monthly Total : 1/1
    grand Total: 6/10
    jokers played: 1/2

story: this is Thalion, a high elf prince and leider of a secret cult of slaanesh in Ulthuan. He realises the end times are coming and he aimes to survive the end by geinig the favor of Slaanesh and teaching daemonhood.

Conversion: thalion is based on a dark elf charioteer. His hair is from a wood elf wild rider. The cape and platemail was sculpted with greenstuff and I changed the spear-tip.

painting: Thalion's nickname is the golden prince. So I tried my hand at NMM gold again. The white and black all have a little purple mixed in and I added some art nouveau freehands. Which incorporate the slaanesh symbol on the cape.

Last edited by Elfhead; 03-04-2016 at 20:47.
    Check out my high elves and cult of Slaanesh

Chaplain

Orcs & Goblins + Chaos Warriors & Demons (10 Warscrolls)
    I suck at commenting on others work, so don't feel like you have to comment on mine

Month 8 - March 2016
    MONTHLY TOTAL: 6 (Target 0.85)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 5
    (Target 10)
    JOKERS PLAYED: 0 (bought back 2)

25x Bloodletters (2 units)
    20x Flesh Hounds (4 units)

Bloodletters

(I can't take credit for the skin color since it were like that, but I like it)
    Flesh Hounds
    Last edited by Dunk; 03-04-2016 at 15:46.

Monthly total:
    Death 4 (total 4/10)
    Destruction 0 (total 10/10)
    Chaos 2 (total 3/10)
    Order 4 (total 9/10)

Okay so bit cheating with the Death as they are all characters. Here is a pic with them plus two of the Order characters:

Some Dwarfs:

My Stardrake:

My Chaos for this month, one big 10 small:

I have also completed twenty plague monks but not yet taken their picture.

Aiming for some Fyreslayers, a few more characters and maybe a bit more Chaos in April with perhaps a sprinkling of undead

Gorthor21's Astral Templars (11/20 Warscrolls)

Background: My second warrior chamber is starting to take shape; a full unit of Protectors start them off in the same scheme as the dracoth lord. I plan on them being a smaller part of my army that fight around their lord celestant tending to go for monsters and the such.

I finally finished the Judicators that I started before the big move and I am very pleased with how they turned out. The highlighting is becoming second nature at this point and I only hope to improve from there. Only thing are their helmets which I want to fix.

These are the protectors that I mentioned, a suitable back and front view of them. I'm looking forward to getting another unit but it might be well after this tale is over.

This is what I'm going to start working on this month, the last 10 liberators. I decided to put together the 4 extra primes I had and to divide the units I already have painted into smaller 5 man units. I'm going to repaint a few so that I can have two units for the newer warrior chamber and four units for my main chamber.

I didn't have much difficulty this time around and for that I am grateful. Work has settled down and things are looking up on the Homefront so I might be able to get some new expansions soon if our budget permits.

Spiney's Chaos

Completed this month - 1
    Total to date - 10

I'm starting to slow down, and with a big academic deadline in the next couple of months and a 40k competition on the horizon that I need to finish off a few squads for I'm really not optimistic about getting much done next month either.

Ah well, here is the next piece of the dreadfort, skull keep

The paint scheme was pretty much the same as the gate last month, except that I painted the bronze first (which was so much easier).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	396.1 KB 
ID:	226397Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	409.0 KB 
ID:	226398

Veteran Sergeant

Hey guys, finally managed to get this guy finished last night, had problems getting him glued to base (metal model).

Conversion

Made a couple of modifications to the stock model, added an axe from the Blight King kit, and built up his belly a little finished with an Ogre belly plate! Just to hint to his Nurgle patronage really.

I tried to create a little fire using real wood scraps and green stuff balls to represent the coals - painted reds and oranges around these followed by an orange glaze, but not sure if this was very successful!

Painting

What I am happy with though is my first use of the Typhus Corrosion technical paint followed by Ryza Rust! Really need to hang back on adding too much to every model I own though! Less is more...

Next Month

This months (April's) planned scrolls are a unit of Bestigor converted into Pestigor, as well as a unit of Nurgle Warriors, converted from the Bloodreaver kit!

As ever, thanks for looking!
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7613683

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chapter Master

Looking great guys. Glad this plog has returned.

To booah, could you possibly post a pic of the stardrake vs Archaon or of them side by side. Which model is larger intrigues me.

Great job running this Spiney!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Feral's Skaven (and others) - March 2016 (D6 roll = 5)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 1 Warscroll (of 1)
    RUNNING TOTAL: 4 Warscrolls (of 10)

THEME: The Skaven of Clan Septik are a thrall clan in service to the greater Clan Pestilens - fanatical and adorned with the rustiest weapons and armour.

UNIT(S): Skaven Plague Priest with Warpstone-tipped Staff

BUILD / CONVERSIONS: Stock model.

PAINTING: As per my Skaven done previously.

HIGHS: Lovely model! Warpstone is always fun to paint, and I still adore using Lamenter's Yellow glazes and Wet Effects liberally!

LOWS: The brazier hand had to be painted separately, and the base had to be sculpted / painted over two separate sessions. Skin could be better too!

NEXT MONTH: I have 6 Clanrats half-painted and 5 more assembled ones to add in. I've also been doing a test Nurgle model and have Marauders and a Sorcerer Lord in process of conversion work - a side project for the following months!
    http://circusofpaint.wordpress.com

Participating in the Tale of Age of Sigmar 2015 - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LokkoRex View Post
    ...seems like everything Mister Feral do turns 24-carat hobby gold.

Brother Sergeant

I slowed up a bit last month. Still managed to get a few more Tzeentch models done though.

A Burning Chariot:

A Herald on foot:

The Blue Scribes:

And a Slaughterbrute:

Umm, four Warscrolls, I think?
    40k and Age of Sigmar Blog - A Tabletop Gamer's Diary: https://ttgamingdiary.wordpress.com/

Mongoose Publishing: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/

Late as usual..

meet.the.doctor - March completed D6=1

3 warscrolls / 3 target
    total to date = 11 warscrolls (with bonuses) /10 (and now rising to.. 16 O&G + Destruction (Monstous Arcanum))

Background theme:
    This month I was finishing started projects from couple of months. So we have a Squig Gobba, another unit (10) of night goblins (4 of them are a filler with 2 orcs... or orruks) and I have forgotten about another shaman I started during the tale. So again the same jail clothes theme. A little less chains and balls this time as I was in a hurry to finish before a little 8th ed tournament I was taking part in. I wanted (and all the others) to test the Squig Gobba rules - and it's been fun for all of us. Though it was my first game of WFB 8th edition But as you can see the Gobba is on round base
    UPDATE: there will be no BloodBound Warscrolls from me anytime soon. Since the Monstous Arcanum is out I am focusing on ForgeWorld support for my army. There will be couple of nice ones I promise Starting this month!

Units:
    ForgeWorld's Squig Gobba,
    1 Warscroll of Night Goblins (including filler),
    1 NG Shaman

Build/Conversion:
    No conversions this time.

Painting:
    This month was a great fun though I had to finish a lot of unfinished projects. Starting with the shaman - which was nothing special, just another cool gobbo from the 90's. The plastics were a nightmare as always, I have still 5 of them in line..
    But after that came only the fun ones. On the boss from this warscroll (the one with red shield) I made my first freehand - it is rather basic, but it was good to practice. I'll try more with them in the future.
    The animosity orcs and goblins is my second of this type. I made my own before, but always wanted to paint those from GW. So here they are - all of them in my signature stripped rags and some Blood For The Blood God
    And finally Squig Gobba. Took me a long time to finish. The first thing I did was the skin - 2 days I think of glazing and shading. I don't know how many layers I did, but probably more than you can see I painted it using Khorne Red->Vallejo Red->Vallejo Game Color Bloody Red -> Citadel Wild Rider Red -> and a little blend of riel Yellow. After all that I thought it could use more contrast, but I left it as was. The green vomit with the squigs was in the beginning pink, but I thought that the whole mini will look to monochromatic and decided to go with that crazy Moot Green. I like this color more and more. First time I used it was on River Trolls, but with different combination.

Highs/Lows:
    Highs - My first freehand on the boss was a real fun and the skin of the squigs. I can't wait to paint more of them.
    Lows - The NG plastics are so boring for me, but I need to finish a lot of them because my personal goal is to complete Great Moonclan Battalion. Still have some to do.

Pics:
    NG shaman:

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	226780
    Night Goblins:

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	226781
    The filler, and the freehand:

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	226782Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	226783
    And the Squig Gobba:

Name:	IMG_0099.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	226784Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0100.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	226785

And the WiPs for this month are:

3 Trolls already basecoated:

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	226786
    and this beautiful lady who will be my general during the campaign day of AoS in may :

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	226787

Veteran Sergeant

Great stuff man! That bright green on the squid gonna is really nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if it is ok with Spiney to post this here but today was my first game with my fully painted Astal Templars. I faced off against Ray's Undead at the GW in Las Vegas and I had fun though we had to call a draw. It is really awesome to see your fully painted army in action on the table and it feels like the Tale of Painters has really paid off for me

On an aside I finished my April contribution and I have another starter sets worth of guys to add to my collection on the way.

Chaplain

Love it all... good job guys

And thanks for the comments

My favorite of the month is Achaeon!
    Last edited by Dunk; 23-04-2016 at 14:38.

Veteran Sergeant

Absolutely blown away by some of the stuff posted on here, especially the Stardrake and Archaon are just incredible.

I've fallen off the Tale since the downtime, and repainting decision, but I've been steadily proceeding. Problem: starting lots of things, finishing very few!

So some evidence of work in progress at least:

Name:	IMG_4073.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	226966

Chapter Master

I forgot to drop out of this. I have abandoned both Stormcast and Bloodbound a while ago in favour of other AoS projects using classic miniatures. I am looking forward to next season with Grand Alliance: Chaos and Orruk Warband using 4th and 6th edition models respectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Games Workshop
    It's a great excuse to start collecting ANOTHER army. One can never have enough armies and starting a new one is always exciting.

Time for some feedback I guess. It’s kind of sad to see so little people contribute to the tale… Where is everybody?

@Dunk:
    Nice amount of daemons and very consistent in quality. The blending on the bloodletter horns looks good and so does the metal. If you want to take it up a notch you could use some green stuff to fill the gaps between the two pieces of the heads.

@Booah:
    Although there aren’t much people contributing, you and altsain definitely make it up in number of models… Nice bunch of characters and monsters. And they all look great. You’ve got a nice standard in painting but I wonder what would would happen if you’d focus all your time on one model. Really challenge yourself to improve.

@Gorthor21
    Your chambers are growing nicely. Nice to see some shots of them in action.
    I’m just gonna mention your metals could benefit from a wash.

Spiney
    Another nice piece of scenery. When you’re done it would be worth a shot of all of it together. Good luck on you deadline (I know what that is like)

@Beastofnurgle
    The conversion work on the beastmen looks great, suitably nurgly. I didn’t notice the fire until you mentioned it. I think the coals need more contrast, black colas with a orange highlight might work better.

@Mrferal
    Another nice looking skaven. The painting is really smooth. I can tell because the pic is so ridiculously close up:P

@Altsain:
    Only four warscrolls, really? My favourite is the chariot, the contrast of all that orange flame with the blue daemons works great.

@Meet.the.doctor
    Some nice additions to your greenskins, with a lot of character. These models really exhibit the cartoony character. The Shaman is my favourite, so much great details.
    Looking forward to seeing your female troll painted.

@Slyrebirth
    Personally I’m not a fan of the stardrake, but the red color scheme looks promising. Just post whatever you got, work in progress or not.

looking forward to next month!
    Check out my high elves and cult of Slaanesh

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Elfhead View Post
    @Dunk:
    Nice amount of daemons and very consistent in quality. The blending on the bloodletter horns looks good and so does the metal. If you want to take it up a notch you could use some green stuff to fill the gaps between the two pieces of the heads.
    Yeah, that gap in the heads is annoying, and I might go back and fix it in the future... just worried that the color difference on the repaired area (don't remember what color I used) will be too big :/

So much good stuff on here, this project continues to be great fuel and motivation for my own painting.

If I could ask for one thing, it would be more army shots, which I am a complete sucker for. Seeing all those Astral Templars deployed has given me a boost in getting my own Sigmarines sorted at last!
    Marius Stormwrought

Lord-Celestant of The Stormwrought, Warrior Chamber of the Astral Avengers Stormhost