Thread: Tale of Board Game Painters 2015-2016 Month 7: March Complete & April WIP

Tale of Board Game Painters 2015-2016 Month 7: March Complete & April WIP

HereBeDragons asked me to manage the tale from now on, and I agreed to do so until it is completed.

Tale of Board Game Painters 2015-2016

Detailed description on what is going on here
    You can sign up whenever in any progress/WIP thread of the tale!

Painters in this Tale - Game - <#of month's batches painted>/<#of jokers played>
    HereBeDragons - SDE: Caverns of Roxor, SDE: Von Drakk Manor - 4/2
    Daemonslave - WHQ - 3/3
    EmperorNorton - Blood Rage and others - 6/0
    Naryzhud - Zombicide S2/3 - 2/4
    CrayolaSmoker - Star Wars: Imperial Assault, Mice & Mystics - 0/6
    CoveringFire - Space Hulk, Assassinorum: Execution Force - 6/0
    Aku-chan - Kingdom Death: Monster - 5/1
    MLP - Myth - 1/5
    Anzacaine - Puppet Wars: Unstitched - 0/6
    Great horned owl - WFRP/D&D - 3/3
    Boy Milla - SDE - 1/5
    Makure - Dreadball - 1/5
    Rusty Wintertooth - WHQ - 1/5
    Fitzbaron - Heroquest - 0/6
    Roostmanuva - Super Dungeon Explore - 6/0
    chrismisterx - Arcadia Quest - 0/6
    meet.the.doctor - Talisman expansions - 0/6
    ColShaw - Descent 2nd Edition, Battle Masters - 5/0 (Started Month 2)

Finished Board Games this tale:
    ColShaw - Descent 2nd Edition - 39 miniatures
    Covering Fire - Assassinorum: Execution Force - 24 miniatures

Let me know right away if I'm forgetting something in this list. It's important to get the credit you're due.

In this thread we post finished photos of last month's work. After a while of that we start posting constructive comments on each other's work and some WIP photos of what we're doing this month.

Don't forget you can still sign up anytime!

Happy Painting!

Re: Tale of Board Game Painters 2015-2016 Month 7: March Complete & April WIP

This month I managed to finish off three Space Marine Terminators for Space Hulk - Valencio, Deino and Goriel. They took an awful lot of time since there were a lot of details, but I'm really happy with the result!

Brother Goriel served in the elite 1st Company under Captain Raphael during the late-500's in M41. In his former life on the irradiated planet of Baal, Goriel was the leader of a vicious gang of brawlers known only as the Murder Elite. Though his morals were questionable, the psycho-conditioning processes of the Adeptus Astartes fused his natural ferocity with the discipline of a true Space Marine. He earned great honours as an Assault Marine, once serving with dedication in the Honour Guard of Captain Raphael. Since he joined the 1st Company in 569.M41, he became a highly valued member of Squad Lorenzo, and later successfully took part in the cleansing of the Space Hulk, the Sin of Damnation in 589.M41.

Brother Deino served in the elite 1st Company under Captain Raphael during the late-500's in M41. He most famously took part in the cleansing of the Space Hulk known as the Sin of Damnation in 589.M41. By that time, Deino had fought alongside Sergeant Lorenzo for the best of part of a century. He had been awarded the Chapter Marksmanship award many times over the years, displaying an almost supernatural accuracy on the firing range and in battle. Like his fellow Blood Angels, Deino took pride in himself in the pursuit of perfection and had raised marksmanship to the state of art. As well as his Badge of Marksman, he carried the customised Storm Bolter that earned him such reward. Deino combined quick reactions with nerves of steel, and his battle-brothers took great pride and comfort from his calm and effective shooting.

Brother Valencio served in the elite 1st Company under Captain Raphael during the late-500's in M41. The scouring of the Space Hulk Sin of Damantion in 589.M41 was Brother Valencio's first combat action since his induction into the 1st Company. Having served the Blood Angels for less than one hundred years, Valencio was young by the standards of his Terminator brethren, but had earned his place amongst them with his forthright, courageous actions in a dozen wars. To the other members of Squad Lorenzo he was still an untested youth, desperate to impress Lorenzo since the Sergeant saved Valencio's life during the Threxian Cataclysm. Even for one of the Blood Angels Valencio was eager, some would say foolhardy, but his valour was beyond question.

Veteran Sergeant Great horned owl's Avatar

Lunchbreak.
    I'm throwing these squigs into the Internet-warphole before they eat my sandwich (or eat me).

This month I will paint a gatorman Bull Snapper (Hordes).
    I just need to greenstuff a big gap in his neck before I can undercoat him.
    Not sure if every Snapper has this problem or if mine is distorted in some way.

greets,
    Owl
    Owl can spell his name ("Wol") and the word "Tuesday" (so that you know it isn't Wednesday). He can also read, although only if no-one is looking over his shoulder.
    (From The house at Pooh corner)

@Great horned owl: Nice to see some classic squig models! I like the colour scheme! Something different than the red you usually see.

Speaking of red, here's a WIP shot of the next Terminator from Space Hulk that I've started working on: The lightning claw-armed Brother Claudio! Sofar I've shaded and highlighted the armour.

Only one for me this month; I've had a lot of other stuff going on. Anyway, one is good enough, if he's big enough, right?

The Ogre Champion of Grimbog:
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to glue and buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by FraustyTheSnowman View Post
    Anything else I have to say has already been said by Col Shaw...listen to the lego man, he's wise.
    "Ember of Dreams"
    http://www.amazon.com/Ember-Dreams-C...0408773&sr=1-1

@ColShaw: One is definately enough if it's that big! Nice model! I think you have done it justice with your unusual (for GW Ogres at least) colour scheme! I like the shading on the muscles.

I've continued working on Claudio, so here's some additional WIP shots.

Basecoats done:

Washes applied:

Next up is layering and highlighting the details.

I saw my name on the list of this Tale and thought that finally I will post some finished minis. I thought I will be able to paint one a month, but I focused on Age of Sigmar as I was playing more and more in the end of last year. But this year I decided to remove the dust from Talisman boxes and play it a little with my friends so I had also finished some minis. So here they are. Four completed (let's say that one for each missing month )
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	226790
    And four WiPs (almost finished just need to work on some details):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	226789
    I did all of them in simillat color scheme as I am also using them as part of my Frostgrave warband.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	226788  
    Last edited by meet.the.doctor; 18-04-2016 at 10:54.

Hmmm... you get the feeling there aren't many of us on this log?

Anyway, comments!

Covering Fire: I like the clean paintjob, the nice, rich red. Have you considered putting some script on the purity seals?

Great Horned Owl: Can't go wrong with Squigs. Love Squigs.

Meet.the.doctor: All those models have great character. I really like the rabbit-in-the-hat and the green dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to glue and buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by FraustyTheSnowman View Post
    Anything else I have to say has already been said by Col Shaw...listen to the lego man, he's wise.
    "Ember of Dreams"
    http://www.amazon.com/Ember-Dreams-C...0408773&sr=1-1

Veteran Sergeant Great horned owl's Avatar

Sorry I'm late, but here are my comments:

@Covering Fire: 12 points! (sorry, couldn't resist = Eurovision Song Contest quote).
    Seriously, your Space Hulk marines are great.
    Smooth and bright red, with nice contrasting details.

@ColShaw: Nice ogre.
    The lines around the muscles are a bit harsh, but they accentuate how strong he is.
    Well done.

@meet.the.doctor: Those Talisman miniatures are real classics.
    Good shading and highlighting. I especially like the wings of the dragon.

greetings,
    owl
    Owl can spell his name ("Wol") and the word "Tuesday" (so that you know it isn't Wednesday). He can also read, although only if no-one is looking over his shoulder.
    (From The house at Pooh corner)

Quote Originally Posted by ColShaw View Post
    Covering Fire: I like the clean paintjob, the nice, rich red. Have you considered putting some script on the purity seals?
    Thanks! I have considered script, but I have decided to wait until all the Terminators are done, and then come up with a suitable method.

Quote Originally Posted by Great horned owl View Post
    @Covering Fire: 12 points! (sorry, couldn't resist = Eurovision Song Contest quote).
    Seriously, your Space Hulk marines are great.
    Smooth and bright red, with nice contrasting details.
    Thanks! Glad you like them!