Thread: [40k] 7th edition Codex: Adepta Sororitas

[40k] 7th edition Codex: Adepta Sororitas

So I've been away from rules writing for a while but am now back with a vengeance with three new codexes that I've tried to design to fit together:

Codex: Adepta Sororitas
    This codex has been designed to be a full-featured 7th edition codex with a view towards GW's new weekly releases and how they would fit together with finally updating the Sisters of Battle. There are no all-new units, with a view towards keeping the codex to what a Sisters of Battle release might realistically contain, which I envision as a Battle Sisters box (Battle Sister Squad, Dominion Squad, Retributor Squad), a Celestian box (Celestian Squad, Sacristan Guard, a.k.a the command squad), Seraphim, various plastic characters, and a repackaged Immolator with parts to make a Repressor. Everything else would remain in metal with a view towards a second wave to update Sisters Repentia, the Exorcist (which may also built a Celestian themed Rhino, plus include the Oratorium) and add more plastic characters.

The codex is based on the latest digital release, but has been heavily modified, so here's a quick run down of the codex features:

• Faith: Acts of Faith and Shield of Faith are both improved, but are tied to a unit having Faith Points. Units start with these, and can gain extras from wargear, but they can be lost through a variety of means that your opponent will want to exploit. This hopefully gives a fun mechanic that means that the sisters can be very powerful for as long as their faith holds true, while your opponent must do what they can to undermine it, this gives a tension as you have to balance your finite powers against potentially losing them, or losing your Shield of Faith if you use them too generously.
    • Immolator Battle Tanks: Given their limited heavy weapons the Immolator has been made a very flexible battle-tank with the same basic capabilities as a Razorback, but bolstered by the ability to swap Transport for Fast, as well squadrons of three being able to combine their fire into more powerful attacks. If you can read the entry without subconsciously getting your wallet out to by more Immolators, then either I've done something wrong, or there's something wrong with you
    • Custom Detachment and Formations: The list contains a bunch of fluffy, interesting formations that can be composed into a Detachment similarly to the Space Marine Demi-Company, allowing an army of Sororitas to pack a pretty big punch. The formations mostly favour thematic groupings, but with some basic boosts.
    • Tactical Objectives: Emphasising valuable objectives (relics), sacrifice and faith I'm hoping this captures the spirit of the list pretty closely.
    • No Ministorum Units: Adeptus Ministorum Units (Confessors, Battle Conclaves and Penitent Engines) have been removed into their own codex (see above).

Download
    I'll be making this codex available as both a fully interactive iBook (requires iBooks for Mac or iOS) and a PDF. Unfortunately I discovered that when exporting a PDF from iBook Author the clickable links to wargear, rules etc. don't work, so you'll need to use the search feature of your PDF reader to navigate quickly, sorry!

Last edited by Haravikk; 01-06-2017 at 15:51.

Chapter Master

Re: [40k] 7th edition Codex: Adepta Sororitas

Nice layout.

Quick pass - (page numbers are pdf pages)

Faith in general - seems like a huge amount of paperwork for a 5+ save that seems almost punitive at times (losing your faith when you use an act of faith, having your power weapons fizzle out, or the Light of the Emperor that will typically be unavailable to squads who lost their faith when broken).
    As it doesn't specify that you remain temporarily faithful after using your faith point you have things like units of Sacristans declaring their faith and then charging in with... bolt pistol and close combat weapon, probably making players wish they could take a mundane power sword again.

The punitive nature of the powers extend to things like the banners (aka the 'screw over half your army' relics). Faith powers seem very last-resort.

Tactical Withdrawal (p6) - in 7th ed a squad can regroup with any number of models, though the test is more difficult with heavy casualties.
    Equipment (p10) - 5pts for frag and krak grenades? Also - no combi-plasmas?
    Canoness (p13) - 75pts seems a bit steep, even with the benefits of the passion.
    Battle Sisters (p15) - sad times, only one special weapon in 5.
    Sacristan guard (p16) - how do the dialogus/hospitaller options affect wargear (blessed weapon, etc)?
    Repentia (p21) - 15 is an odd max size. Charging any kind of close combat unit would likely result in the total loss of the repentia unit barring faith - T3, I1, no saves.
    Dominions (p23) - Written in options as dominion rather than dominions.
    ---incidentally where have all of the veterans gone? Not a 2 attack model in sight.
    Seraphim (p25) - Wouldn't it be easier just to have no scatter? -2d6 seems a bit odd. Also seraphim superior with combi-weapon access, etc.
    Immolator (p31) - Remembered the top hatch, yay!. Also heavy flamer combination - wouldn't the big apoc flamer template be more suitable? (and S5/AP4)?
    Retributors (p33) - A bonus to hit is a little odd under the current system (as opposed to increased BS)
    Priory command (p37) - Two girls...I mean two squads one rhino?
    Sanctifier strike force (p42) - Three full squads and transports that are excluded from the game for a minimum of two turns... hmm.
    Purifier squadron (p43) - Some mixture of terms (co-ordinated purge teams, etc)
    Sacred vows (p48) - Vow of redemption implies it is a celestian vow while repentia entry notes that it is a canoness option.
    Flail of Chastisement (p51) - Mob the big ones?

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    Faith in general - seems like a huge amount of paperwork for a 5+ save that seems almost punitive at times (losing your faith when you use an act of faith, having your power weapons fizzle out, or the Light of the Emperor that will typically be unavailable to squads who lost their faith when broken).
    My general aim with Faith is for sisters to start out really strong (5++ is a pretty good), but become harder and harder to use as the game progresses. While the Faith Powers aren't much stronger than the current digital release (except Spirit of the Martyr, which I may reduce a little), they are all fairly good, and there is no longer a test involved in using them, the balancing factor however are the bonuses you will lose if you cease to be Faithful, which can make holding onto Faith Points pretty tense as your opponent tries to drain them from you. In general most units will have two Faith Points, giving them 5++ for most of the game, and one power to hopefully use at a crucial moment, or they can use two but lose that 5++; there are also some ways to get more, the Battle Sister Squad ability to gain more on objectives should give you at least one if you get an objective quick enough in games that have them. Even when the sisters lose Faithful they're not exactly terrible, though they are underwhelming if they lose faith too quickly, which is pretty much by design.

Also, regarding Light of the Emperor, this is where Holy Icons on vehicles can come in handy as they let you use it for free if you're out of Faith Points. This can also be handy if you've run out in general, just stay close to your vehicles to stay bolstered at least partially.

The punitive nature of the powers extend to things like the banners (aka the 'screw over half your army' relics). Faith powers seem very last-resort.
    It's a tricky balancing act certainly; the banners are fairly inexpensive for the bonuses they give though, as 3+ Feel No Pain or +1 Attack and Furious Charge on the same chunk of your army is pretty important, plus a Faith Point to the bearer's unit same as a Simulacrum Imperialis. Also, the loss of Faith Points is D3-1, so one on average, with a 1 in 3 chance of either no effect or 2 Faith Points instead. I've played with banners in most play-test games and not had a huge problem with them, as by time the bearer is taken out I'm running low on Faith Points anyway, and the Sacristans themselves do a pretty good job of keeping the bearer alive if an enemy manages to get to her, especially with a Palatine to smash up anything a bit heavier.

Tactical Withdrawal (p6) - in 7th ed a squad can regroup with any number of models, though the test is more difficult with heavy casualties.
    Right you are, I've actually also tweaked this to clarify that choosing to fail the Morale check doesn't lose a Faith Point as long the unit is near the Canoness/Saint Celestine, i.e- it's a planned withdrawal so shouldn't shatter their belief.

Equipment (p10) - 5pts for frag and krak grenades? Also - no combi-plasmas?
    The grenades are partly a balance against their initial strength, plus most Sisters units don't benefit from having them anyway, and those that do already have them.
    Regarding combi-plasma, have there been any models for Sisters with one? I removed it under the impression that it was really just there for priests/witch hunters in earlier codexes.

Canoness (p13) - 75pts seems a bit steep, even with the benefits of the passion.
    Part of her cost is also that, as an Independent Character, she begins the game with her own Faith Point, so she's like a Simulacrum Imperialis with no down-side when dropped into a unit. She could maybe do with a tweak down, but I would so only 5 points or so, what were you thinking for a price?

Battle Sisters (p15) - sad times, only one special weapon in 5.
    This is consistent with Tactical Marines, I never actually realised the current list allowed a special and heavy weapon at 5 models, not sure what to do on that front as it seems a strange capability to have such a five model unit with Flamer + Heavy Flamer + Holy Fusillade for 75 points (85 with Simulacrum).

Sacristan guard (p16) - how do the dialogus/hospitaller options affect wargear (blessed weapon, etc)?
    Whoops, they're supposed to replace their Blessed Weapon, looks like I tweaked their costs to account for that but never actually specified it

Repentia (p21) - 15 is an odd max size. Charging any kind of close combat unit would likely result in the total loss of the repentia unit barring faith - T3, I1, no saves.
    This is what they have in the digital release codex, but I suppose there's no reason they couldn't go up to twenty. That said, Spirit of the Martyr can help to mitigate their damage in close combat for a round, plus you can take Flails of Chastisement for bonus Initiative in the first round and to reduce enemy attacks coming your way; if they can gain their own Faith Point quickly then their own Shield of Faith is more powerful than what they have now so I think it probably balances out overall? It's seem to when I've used them anyway.

---incidentally where have all of the veterans gone? Not a 2 attack model in sight.
    I didn't feel they really added much for the Sisters, like blanket grenade availability. Does mean you have to be careful about spending too much on melee weapons though so might be a good reason to reduce some wargear costs? Like blanket grenades this is one I'm unsure about as it's really, IMO, a flaw with other lists but then there's the "but everyone else has them" factor.

Seraphim (p25) - Wouldn't it be easier just to have no scatter? -2d6 seems a bit odd. Also seraphim superior with combi-weapon access, etc.
    I try to shy away from effects that eliminate scatter altogether, as there are other effects out there that increase it, which seems to me like they should really cancel out, rather than one trumping the other (causing scatter increasing effects to be a waste of points). It's the classic "pay for Fear but everyone has And They Shall Know No Fear" effect

Immolator (p31) - Remembered the top hatch, yay!. Also heavy flamer combination - wouldn't the big apoc flamer template be more suitable? (and S5/AP4)?
    I'm thinking of tweaking both that and the Holy Trinity effect. The flamer one would possibly become a Flamestorm Cannon with torrent for the added flexibility, any thoughts on that?
    Meanwhile Holy Trinity may swap Pinning for Rending to give a sense of the melta element (and to keep Pinning unique to the heavy bolter combo), though I'm not sure if Rending on a large blast might be a bit much.

Retributors (p33) - A bonus to hit is a little odd under the current system (as opposed to increased BS)
    Actually it's intentional; a bonus to-Hit affects Snap Shots, allowing them to hit on 5's and 6's during Overwatch or when firing at Flyers, the latter is important since they have no specific anti-air of their own. Even with four Heavy Bolters they're not going to bring down many flyers, especially with GW obsessed with giving so many of them armour 12 for no reason, but it gives the power extra flexibility.

Priory command (p37) - Two girls...I mean two squads one rhino?
    Evokes a horrible internet-related image, but is that a problem? The rule forces them to both embark, but they're separate if they leave so can't re-embark, it's just a handy way to deliver both squads in a single vehicle since Sacristan Guard only ever have five models. The other possibility is to have both squads function like one big squad, but that risks having

Sanctifier strike force (p42) - Three full squads and transports that are excluded from the game for a minimum of two turns... hmm.
    Point taken, though I actually like having Dominion in transport arrive a little later as they show up with their full Faith Points ready for use, they can also choose the table edge they arrive from, so they can potentially storm the enemy deployment zone. I'd probably need to remove that in favour of Acute Senses or such if I allowed them to arrive on turn two as well.

Purifier squadron (p43) - Some mixture of terms (co-ordinated purge teams, etc)
    It looks okay to me; Purge Teams are only considered Coordinated so long as the vehicle and squad are near to each other and firing on a common target, this is to encourage teams to stick together rather than scattering all over the place.

Sacred vows (p48) - Vow of redemption implies it is a celestian vow while repentia entry notes that it is a canoness option.
    Both Celestians and Canonesses can have Sacred Vows (so can Sacristan Guard, but they always have the Vow of Sanctity).

Flail of Chastisement (p51) - Mob the big ones?
    Ah, the Entangle rule isn't supposed to stack, I'll clarify that.

Thanks for the detailed feedback as always!

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Haravikk View Post
    My general aim with Faith is for sisters to start out really strong (5++ is a pretty good), but become harder and harder to use as the game progresses.
    I raise it because sisters aren't going to alpha-strike anyone, nor are they going to grind out anything on durability, or crush someone a couple of turns in with weight of close combat, or roll up the board with a deathstar, or dance around objectives, or summon reinforcements, or do anything else tricksy.

In general most units will have two Faith Points / Even when the sisters lose Faithful they're not exactly terrible
    Have I missed something, or is this assuming a simulacrum in every squad?
    If that is their assumed default state then your average battle sister squad costs no less than a full astartes despite looking at losses of 3:2 against small arms and significantly worse in close combat. The invulnerable save certainly helps them in some situations but my initial impression of them is that they are a bit limp for the core of an army - no punch, no reach, little real staying power, all at a cost that means you are unlikely to be looking at any kind of numerical advantage.

(the latter is a problem with existing sisters of course as an astartes battle company can significantly undercut the sisters in the small squads and rhinos department)

I've played with banners in most play-test games and not had a huge problem with them, as by time the bearer is taken out I'm running low on Faith Points anyway
    I'd just blast them early, a single wyvern, quad battery, or similar multiple barrage weapon should make short work of a banner and gut an entire flank of sisters - power weapons without power, sisters without invulnerable saves, relics rendered inert.
    Similarly a simulacrum is an absolute no-go for units like the Sacristans - one stray bolt shell and the whole squad goes down the toilet.

The grenades are partly a balance against their initial strength
    I had just noticed that battle sisters/retributors don't get grenades any more (quite a big weak spot against walkers, monstrous creatures, passing transports...)
    So as far as I can tell it's a 5 point surcharge to allow your one attack sister superior to strike at I3 when charging into cover - as I said, steep.

Regarding combi-plasma, have there been any models for Sisters with one?
    There have only ever been two official combi-weapon sisters - the original canoness (combi-flamer) and the discontinued sister superior with a power maul and combi-grenade launcher.
    Excluding 2nd edition, the sisters first got the option for combi-plasmas in the 3e chapter approved rules (they didn't have them in the initial 3e rulebook list).

What were you thinking for a price?
    I'm not sure. The first thing that struck me (which I forgot to ask) is whether the passion is -1 to the actual save (i.e. 3+ saves become 4+ saves) or an adjustment to the dice roll as it makes quite a difference.

Beyond the faith your basic canoness with rosarius is paying space marine captain points (plus a 10 point 'sisters chapter tactic surcharge') for wargear that will may fizzle out half way through the game and notably inferior durability and combat ability.
    And space marine captains are really nothing special.
    185pts for a jump canoness with eviscerator and mantle - it's a tough sell, a iron hands jump captain rocking the gorgons chain and thunderhammer kind of points.

This is consistent with Tactical Marines
    Tactical marines generally don't rush forwards in rhinos with a single melta, take a pot shot, and then get assaulted off the board as their core strategy
    (or at least those that do have the backing of a few hundred points of free transports, a bunch of rerolls, and require somewhat more effort to remove than a battle sister).

This is what they have in the digital release codex
    Max size 10 in the digital codex IIRC, down from 20 in 3rd edition.

I try to shy away from effects that eliminate scatter altogether
    Then I would suggest -1D6. Something about -2D6 just seems weird somehow - like a rule that states you need to get a 6+ on a D6+5 roll, which once in a blue moon gets modified down.

I'm thinking of tweaking both that and the Holy Trinity effect. The flamer one would possibly become a Flamestorm Cannon with torrent for the added flexibility, any thoughts on that?
    Torrent flamestorm is potentially very powerful - lot of coverage.
    Of all of them the current holy trinity one is the option I would never take as the heavy bolter option is stronger. Then again i'd probably not fire the heavy bolter option either unless i'd already used up their inferno ammo (which as per the rules doesn't actually work with _heavy_ bolters, but that is probably an oversight).

Actually it's intentional; a bonus to-Hit affects Snap Shots
    That would still be achieved with +1 to BS (for both normal and overwatch shots). More a matter of convention where a +1 to hit create mixups with things like rending on 6 to hit, etc.

Evokes a horrible internet-related image, but is that a problem?
    Just a slightly odd arrangement I thought it was worth bringing up.

It looks okay to me; Purge Teams are only considered Coordinated so long as the vehicle and squad are near to each other and firing on a common target
    It just seems a little convoluted, and the rules for being 'coordinated' should not be in the restrictions section, that area should be used only for restrictions on what may be purchased and how it should be deployed.

Something more along the lines of (actual text to be improved) :
    Coordinated attack - When a squad from this formation declares a shooting or overwatch attack its Dedicated Transport may also fire as if it were part of the squad, provided the vehicle is within 6" of the squad. Note that a unit can still only fire once each phase.
    Purge - The strength of all weapons used in a coordinated attack is increased by +1 for every prior coordinated attack that has been made against the same target in the same phase, to a maximum of +2.

Both Celestians and Canonesses can have Sacred Vows (so can Sacristan Guard, but they always have the Vow of Sanctity).
    Yes - it was just the text of the vow itself that could be misinterpreted as being intended for celestians.

Sadly I am in no position to actually test it on the table ATM.

Torrent flamestorm is potentially very powerful - lot of coverage.
    Overly so? It's swapping 3x S5 AP4 templates for one S6 AP3 between them after all.

Of all of them the current holy trinity one is the option I would never take as the heavy bolter option is stronger.
    I'm going to change Holy Trinity's Pinning to Rending, which should make it more flexible, which is what's intended for really (should hurt a wide variety of things).

Then again i'd probably not fire the heavy bolter option either unless i'd already used up their inferno ammo (which as per the rules doesn't actually work with _heavy_ bolters, but that is probably an oversight).
    Actually the reference to bolter(s) in the iBook version is a link to the whole bolt gun section, but I'll clarify the wording anyway; they work for bolt pistols, boltguns (with and without sarissas), storm bolters, heavy bolters, and all combi-weapons fired as boltguns.

That would still be achieved with +1 to BS (for both normal and overwatch shots). More a matter of convention where a +1 to hit create mixups with things like rending on 6 to hit, etc.
    Right you are, it'll need to be worded right though to clarify that the bonus is applied last to avoid Snap Shots trumping it, but I'll do that.

It just seems a little convoluted, and the rules for being 'coordinated' should not be in the restrictions section, that area should be used only for restrictions on what may be purchased and how it should be deployed.

Something more along the lines of (actual text to be improved) :
    Coordinated attack - When a squad from this formation declares a shooting or overwatch attack its Dedicated Transport may also fire as if it were part of the squad, provided the vehicle is within 6" of the squad. Note that a unit can still only fire once each phase.
    Purge - The strength of all weapons used in a coordinated attack is increased by +1 for every prior coordinated attack that has been made against the same target in the same phase, to a maximum of +2.
    I like that! I'll see what I can do along those lines.

Tactical marines generally don't rush forwards in rhinos with a single melta, take a pot shot, and then get assaulted off the board as their core strategy :P
    If I can, I'd like to make that not the core strategy of Sisters too if at all possible, though we're not there yet

To cover the rest, what I'm thinking in light of your feedback on Faith (plus some feedback on other sites) is the following:

• Simulacrum Imperialis and banners trigger a D6 roll, losing a Faith Point on a 1 or 2, gaining one on a 6; this reduces the potential maximum loss, make no reaction more likely, and potentially gives a point to represent rage/martyrdom.
    • Possibly make Simulacrum Imperialis free?
    • Let Battle Sisters take one Heavy or Special and one Special at 10 models or less. Possibly one more Heavy or Special at 15+ models? (so three total if you take big units)
    • Restore grenades to units that no longer have them, since everybody else gets to have grenades on everything anyway (it isn't for one codex to fix that )
    • Restore veterans; actually Celestian Superiors for +1 Weapon Skill, +1 Attack and Hand of the Emperor for +10 points? Maybe +15? Available for Battle Sisters, Dominion and Retributors.
    • Two Attacks for Celestian and Seraphim Superiors.
    • Reduce cost of Blessed Weapons to 10 points; still gives +1 Strength over regular Power Weapons, but with the chance to become Inert. I'll do the same for relics most effected by the same condition, I need to test some of them more anyway.
    • Reduce Spirit of the Martyr's improvement to 4+ for five models or less; this makes the Hospitaller and Hospitaller banner more important as the only way to get 3+, and balances the power better against Holy Fusillade and Light of the Emperor.

Giving the veteran Hand of the Emperor could be important since it gives the whole unit minimum Strength and Initiative 5. Without lots of weapons with AP it won't make a massive difference to their damage output in many cases, and they're no more durable, but it maybe helps?

Chapter Master

Overly so? It's swapping 3x S5 AP4 templates for one S6 AP3 between them after all.
    Yes, a torrent flamestorm with that profile would be superior in almost all circumstances (flame immolators are a pain to get into position since they lost their move and shoot -there is a good reason why marine players never took flamer razorbacks).
    Without torrent it is more tricky, though still very good.

If I can, I'd like to make that not the core strategy of Sisters too if at all possible, though we're not there yet
    I'm not sure what you'd be replacing it with?

More broadly with faith (and trying to keep to your design as closely as possible) have you considered making faith points a universal pool and tying the faithful status for the purpose of saves and relics to the presence of a simulacrum and/or character?
    (some of that thought goes back to the old system where losing squads of sisters would benefit the remaining army)

Yes, a torrent flamestorm with that profile would be superior in almost all circumstances (flame immolators are a pain to get into position since they lost their move and shoot -there is a good reason why marine players never took flamer razorbacks).
    Without torrent it is more tricky, though still very good.
    Well, with the ability to trade Transport for Fast it should be a lot easier to get the templates into position, so yeah Torrent probably isn't necessary.

I'm not sure what you'd be replacing it with?
    Well, hopefully units that can stand their ground a bit more thanks to Spirit of the Martyr, Shield of Faith and/or Hand of the Emperor, or deal more damage in general with Holy Fusillade, or do a bit of both with Light of the Emperor. I'd like to encourage bigger units used less suicidally for the battle sisters if I can.

More broadly with faith (and trying to keep to your design as closely as possible) have you considered making faith points a universal pool and tying the faithful status for the purpose of saves and relics to the presence of a simulacrum and/or character?
    (some of that thought goes back to the old system where losing squads of sisters would benefit the remaining army)
    While I liked the idea, the problem with the pool system is that it can end up encouraging spending the points on just a small portion of the army. Codex: Witch Hunters for example let you have Spirit of the Martyr on a unit for a big chunk of the game, which opponents hated. Of course it became one of the few things that kept them competitive too, but I'd like to emphasise faith across all the units rather than focus on just a few. A pool could maybe work if each power could only be used once per unit, but that would be a bit more of a burden to keep track of than just points per unit.

With the current setup I like the idea that say a Dominion Squad can arrive in isolation and use The Emperor's Deliverance or Holy Fusillade two turns running to put pressure on a target, while elsewhere battle sister squads are using Spirit of the Martyr to hold their ground etc., i.e- you could use powers across the whole army in a single turn if you wanted to, though more realistically in stages. I mean you could do this a big pool too, but I think it would encourage pushing most of the points towards the same units instead (like it did). The current one I'm using can also result in pockets of Faithful, wavering or non longer Faithful units that you have to manage effectively which I find an interesting challenge to play and plan around.

So I've updated the list to a v1.1 with various updates mostly as I described them already, but to summarise them again:

• Celestian Superior now has 2 Attacks, and is available as a 10 point upgrade for all units except the Sacristans and Sisters Repentia as a better challenge fighter, but also grants the Hand of the Emperor Act of Faith to the unit (Strength/Initiative 5). Seraphim will probably get the most benefit, particularly those with Praesidium Protectiva + Chainsword/Blessed Weapon, also useful for Hit & Run, but other units can still use it to suck a bit less in combat.
    • Battle Sisters and Retributors have Frag & Krak grenades as standard again, since they're only situationally beneficial anyway. Fixing combat such that everyone having assault grenades isn't as issue, is not really a goal of my codex anyway
    • Immolator Fire Storm is S6 AP3 template for flamers (no Torrent), Holy Trinity has Rending instead of Pinning.
    • Dialogus and Hospitaller in the Sacristan Guard now replace Blessed Weapon, Dialogus is now free (since you're really choosing between a command-oriented squad or capitalising on their Blessed Weapons). All Sacristan Guard models are Initiative 4, Palatine has Hand of the Emperor (not Hand of the Emperor doesn't increase her to Strength 7, as it applies after bonuses).
    • Sisters Repentia can now take up to 20 models, and gain Rampage when reduced to 10 models or less; they're an eye-watering 300 points for 20 but it makes them a lot easier to keep alive until they can gain Shield of Faith, and if they're 10 or less by that point they'll also churn out a hell of a lot of attacks when they do get to strike.
    • Faith Changes:
      • Simulacrum Imperialis is now free, since you're really supposed to have one unless you're building a small unit with max special weapons.
      • Penalty for all banner types is D6 roll, 1 or 2 loses one Faith Point, 6 gains one (representing martyrdom/rage etc.)
      • Spirit of the Martyr now only gives Feel No Pain (4+) at five models or less, to get 3+ it needs to be stacked with an Hospitaller (Sacristan Guard only) or the Hospitaller banner.
      • Clarified that Hand of the Emperor applies after bonuses, but before penalties (i.e- it doesn't let Unwieldy weapons strike sooner).
      • Divine Guidance improves Ballistic Skill including Snap Shots. Combined with Mutual Support this can allow Retributors to fire Overwatch at up to Ballistic Skill 3.
      • The Passion now modifies saves rather than rolls, but does not affect the AP value required to negate armour.
      • Holy Icon on vehicles now allows the Light of the Emperor Act of Faith to be used for free even if a unit is still Faithful, giving it more utility for the points, and giving more incentive to use that act.
      • Some items that can become Inert are cheaper, most importantly Blessed Weapons.
    • Convent Warhost: Tactical Withdrawal doesn't cost a Faith Point. In place of Preferred Enemy I'm giving the list the same free transports that a Gladius Strike Force gets, requiring two Sisterhoods of the Faith to gain this.
    • Some formations now have required components at no additional cost, mostly sacred vows.
    • Flight of Angels now has the Angelic Visage effect; friendly units within 6" are Faithful until the end of the turn when this formation arrives, this can be combined with Faith Point spending in the first two or three turns (losing Faithful) with the expectation of regaining it for a turn by having the formation arrive somewhere central, or moving where they are needed once they do. This actually makes their regular arrival speed a potential advantage compared to similar formations (Terminators) that allow predictable, early arrivals.
    • Sisterhood of Faith and Sanctifier Strike Force have the same Mutual Support rule for simplicity. Sanctifier's Surgical Strike rule now allows a turn 2 arrival with Acute Senses, or arrival on turn 3 or 4 choosing table edge. All units now arrive at the same point rather than being split in half.
    • Tidied up Purifier Squadron as A.T. suggested. Of course, Purge can't actually apply to Overwatch unless an enemy unit somehow gets to charge (and be have Overwatch fired against it) twice in one phase, but allowing a squad's vehicle to fire Overwatch with it is pretty nifty, especially for the Heavy Flamer Immolator.
    • Saint Celestine's Ardent Blade is reduced to +2 Strength, she's also a touch cheaper.

Also, just a reminder, but this list is intended for use alongside Codex: Adeptus Ministorum to represent a full Ecclesiarchy Force.

[edit] Super minor addition, but I meant to clarify in the Sisters Repentia rules that they gain one Faith Point every time they participate in the death of an enemy unit, not just the first time this happens (though they can only gain Acts of Faith/Shield of Faith once). This makes their surviving even more dangerous.
    Last edited by Haravikk; 16-04-2016 at 08:54.

Chapter Master

Have you had the opportunity to try the army out on the table?

I guess the next steps will be finding out how unwieldy (or not) the faith markers are and how the army holds up against the sharper end of 7th edition - adepticon style armies - or against more casual lists depending on your goals.

---------------------------------------

Priory command - I can see the rhino being immobilised and the canoness stuck inside for the entire game due to being unable to disembark. Intentional?
    Reclamation Team - Usual edge case stuff - what if the character isn't on the board at the end, and what if there is no IC in the opposing army (i.e. mechanicus)

A few cases where the word 'minimum' is used - particularly the repentant host where a 'maximum' save of 3+ would normally be how it is worded (minimum suggests that they get a 3+ FnP which can be improved further) and the same again with the Holy Warrior warlord trait, hospitaller's tools.

Warlord trait - Battle Hymns - unclear if it is the warlord or the second unit with the laud hailer that recieves the +1 (assuming that a unit with a laud hailer counts as being a 'friendly unit within 12" of itself'
    Warlord trait - Blade of the Emperor - as written applies to enemies killed by a canoness manning a missile emplacement on a fortress of redemption, etc. Intentional?
    Warlord trait - His Will Be Done - one close combat attack or one set of attacks? Limit on phase in which it can be used? (as written the afore mentioned canoness in the fortress of redemption could kill herself to launch a missile salvo in her opponents assault phase for instance)

Warlord trait - Martyrdom - 'throws unarmed canoness off building in first turn' . Incidentally the Laud Hailer doesn't specify the cause of lost faith so i'm guessing that works (sometimes) against faith loss due to suicide canoness, lost banners, etc?

Of course, Purge can't actually apply to Overwatch unless an enemy unit somehow gets to charge (and be have Overwatch fired against it) twice in one phase, but allowing a squad's vehicle to fire Overwatch with it is pretty nifty, especially for the Heavy Flamer Immolator.
    Technically an enemy unit could make a split charge against multiple units from this formation.

Have you had the opportunity to try the army out on the table?
    I played a few casual games, Faith Points aren't any more unwieldy than pain tokens on the previous Dark Eldar codex (which I much prefer to the current one). Plus I liked making pain tokens so I expect the same for Faith Points (plus that'll stop me from using skulls and mangled corpses to represent them )

and how the army holds up against the sharper end of 7th edition - adepticon style armies - or against more casual lists depending on your goals.
    I'm not aiming to compete with the more broken armies, and the list has obvious drawbacks that still require allies to overcome (or you can focus on the strengths and hope for the best I suppose). It's intended to ally well with the Ministorum codex I also made, but that is similarly lacking in big guns (though Missionaries at least can take missile launchers with optional Flakk missiles, which helps). So to compete you're still looking at some form of allies, such as Imperial Knights if you're facing super-heavies. My Inquisition codex also allows relatively cheap access to Valkyries and Land Raiders (they cost the normal amount, but the stuff you need to take before you can get them is cheaper than Guard/Marine allies), plus has some other goodies like Lexmechanics (with Jokareo and Servitors), Pariahs etc.

Priory command - I can see the rhino being immobilised and the canoness stuck inside for the entire game due to being unable to disembark. Intentional?
    Hmm, no didn't think of that, I may make an exception for disembarking if it's Immobilised as well.

Reclamation Team - Usual edge case stuff - what if the character isn't on the board at the end, and what if there is no IC in the opposing army (i.e. mechanicus)
    Didn't think of that either, I'll make an exception that defaults to the enemy Warlord.

A few cases where the word 'minimum' is used - particularly the repentant host where a 'maximum' save of 3+ would normally be how it is worded (minimum suggests that they get a 3+ FnP which can be improved further) and the same again with the Holy Warrior warlord trait, hospitaller's tools.
    GW's own rules use similarly confusing terms though, so I plead not guilty
    Actually I've already been tweaking these; I'm opting to swap "to a minimum of" for "no better than" which should clarify it, though I fully expect to miss some.

Warlord trait - Battle Hymns - unclear if it is the warlord or the second unit with the laud hailer that recieves the +1 (assuming that a unit with a laud hailer counts as being a 'friendly unit within 12" of itself'
    I believe your own unit always counts as within any range, so long as an effect is applicable. Basically if your warlord has this rule, but you went to the effort of giving your army good Laud Hailer coverage, then having this trait is still a benefit for her unit, besides the redundancy I suppose.

Warlord trait - Blade of the Emperor - as written applies to enemies killed by a canoness manning a missile emplacement on a fortress of redemption, etc. Intentional?
    Nope! Should be close combat only.

Warlord trait - His Will Be Done - one close combat attack or one set of attacks? Limit on phase in which it can be used? (as written the afore mentioned canoness in the fortress of redemption could kill herself to launch a missile salvo in her opponents assault phase for instance)
    I might just ignore the caveat about making a final attack altogether, it's simpler that way. Also I'm clarifying that she can do this even if she isn't Faithful (normally you need to be Faithful to use powers) so it can be used as a last-ditch. I quite like the image of a Canoness sacrificing herself to use The Passion on an enemy that's about to defeat her

Warlord trait - Martyrdom - 'throws unarmed canoness off building in first turn' .
    'Changes to "slain by the enemy", you devious monster'

Incidentally the Laud Hailer doesn't specify the cause of lost faith so i'm guessing that works (sometimes) against faith loss due to suicide canoness, lost banners, etc?
    That's right, it's just intended to give some resistance to losing Faith Points, but they don't stack (except for Battle Hymns for a single unit) so taking more is just about covering the whole army or having redundancy. That said, I may have to think about their cost/value again; before I lowered the penalty for losing banners it was possible to lose up to two Faith Points at once, but the Laud Hailer only ever restores one, but that's no longer a limitation of it. I'm thinking I might change it to an end of the turn effect that lets a unit restore one Faith Point if it lost one or more that turn, I also need to clarify that it doesn't count for Faith Points that have been spent on powers (only those lost to failed morale checks, failed/refused challenges etc.).

Technically an enemy unit could make a split charge against multiple units from this formation.
    The way I've worded the rule is that the vehicle only covers its own squad so that wouldn't work, though I have considered changing it to any squad in the formation as that's a bit simpler (no need to keep track of which vehicle belonged to which unit, plus you can swap Immolators to wherever they're most valuable without losing the bonuses.
    Last edited by Haravikk; 18-04-2016 at 12:20.

So I just read about the Sisters using Drop Pods in the Daemonifuge graphic novel, and was wondering what the implications would be of adding drop pods to the sisters? I couldn't find any mention anywhere else of their use, so it's a somewhat weak fluff distinction (but then weak fluff has never stopped GW before); in terms of game mechanics being able to bring Retributors down exactly where you want them would be pretty interesting, and aside them being included in the free transports to Gladius Strike Forces there aren't many complaints of them being overpowered for marines.

Chapter Master

So I just read about the Sisters using Drop Pods in the Daemonifuge graphic novel, and was wondering what the implications would be of adding drop pods to the sisters? I couldn't find any mention anywhere else of their use, so it's a somewhat weak fluff distinction.
    In 3rd edition, Citadel Journal 49, the sisters had an alternate army list called the Ordo Hereticus Strike Force.

1 inquisitor, 0-1 canoness with bodyguard. Celestians as troops, seraphim as fast attack, deathwind (dominica pattern - heavy bolters or multimeltas) as heavy support and optional assassins.

All units had to deepstrike with either pods (dedicated transports), jump packs, or the inquisitor could teleport with terminator armour.
    All Celestians generated an extra faith point at the start of the game, and all members of the strike force gained an additional act of faith - The Emperor's Wrath - which caused their shooting to inflict pinning tests... actually a lot like the space marine drop pod formation in that regard.

The most notably use of the strikeforce in fluff is the attack on the Sons of Malice chapter. It can still be run now using the flesh tearers force org to take up to 5 non-dedicated drop pods.

I've decided I'll put them in my Codex: Inquisition, and allow them as an option when fielding the Ordo Hereticus Strike Force Detachment type, but only for power armour sisters with ten models, i.e- no Sisters Repentia Drop Pods since I'm trying to balance them on the basis of being relatively slow, or paying a chunk of points to Outflank, so hurling gobs of them from orbit might upset the balance a bit.

For anyone that hasn't looked at my Inquisition codex, each Ordo has a detachment with a Chamber Militant, which describes forces that can be taken from other Codexes as part of the detachment, which is important for several special rules and essentially makes them Battle Brothers+. Since Malleus and Xenos have marine chambers militant they don't need extra access to drop pods, but the Inquisition's own acolytes and sisters could benefit quite a bit, plus I even found an image of an Inquisition Drop Pod.

So expect Drop Pod sisters in the next update to my Inquisition Codex, it's probably due an update soon, I just can't remember what else I've changed since the last version. Hopefully nothing too important

So I've got some updates to this codex in v1.1.1, mostly minor but there are a few key-points:
    • Exorcists now have a different squadron bonus, giving them two different weapon profiles that can be used to make a single combined attack. This lets them function a bit more like Immolators for consistency, and while BS5 was a decent bonus this ought to give them more punch overall against certain targets, basically direct fire is improved to Heavy 3D3 S9 AP1 with Melta, while barrage becomes Ordnance 3 with S6 AP4 with Large Blast, Fleshbane, Rending and Strikedown for some fairly nasty combined fire. Against most target three lots of direct fire will be better, but against particularly heavy armour the combined fire will make a difference, especially if you're willing to risk moving closer. For indirect fire it's just generally nasty against all forms of non-vehicles, but still limited in how much damage it will do to multi-wound targets with only a random chance against enemy armour.
      It's worth mentioning at the same time that the default barrage fire for Exorcists is no longer an Ordnance attack, as I forget this grants extra armour penetration (or rather, less randomness).
    • Sacristan Guard can now take Artificer Armour for 20 points. I considered making it standard, but think it's best as an option so they can still be taken for relatively cheap access to power weapons, but it's there if you want them more durable (e.g- when taking a banner).
    • Dominion can take squad-wide Meltabombs for 10 points; basically for 5 points they can get the usual Meltabombs on just the superior, but if you want to be sure someone makes it another 5 gets you squad-wide redundancy. I wasn't going to do this before, but now that grenades in combat has finally been FAQed to one per unit I think it's fair.
    • Retributors now have a rule that gives them a chance to gain a Faith Point each time they participate in the destruction of an enemy unit with shooting, with a +1 bonus if they used Divine Guidance or Holy Fusillade when they did so. The chance is a 5+ so they will gain one Faith Point for every three units destroyed, but since they don't need to be the one that dealt the finishing blow that phase it encourages them to combine fire, particularly with other Retributor Squads. This works well if you use Retributors using powers to weaken a target then finish it off with whatever you can.
    • Sisterhood of Faith now requires a Celestian Squad, but only has a minimum requirement of 2 Battle Sister squads. It also has a 1-2 requirement for Fast/Heavy options, Fast option now includes units of Repressor and Heavy now includes units of Immolators. This gives access to these squadrons when running a pure Convent Warhost (otherwise you can't actually take them, only benefit from Combined rules in special formations).
    • Celestial Host can now take a unit of Immolators or Repressors, but each vehicle must begin the game with a squad from the formation embarked upon it (i.e- this can't be used to take a Fast Immolator Squadron).
    • Convent Warhost bonus is now 6++ for vehicles, 5++ with Faithful passengers, replacing free transports.
    • Bunch of fixes already mentioned above (Canoness in a Priory Command can disembark if her Rhino is Immobilised, Warlord can only be Martyred by enemy attacks, Warlord giving Wounds for Acts of Faith doesn't need to be Faithful etc.)

Also worth mention is that Codex: Inquisition now allows access to Drop Pods for Sororitas squads when taken as the Chamber Militant of an Ordo Hereticus Strike Force.
    Last edited by Haravikk; 06-05-2016 at 18:06.

So I've got a few more tweaks I'm considering. I'm pleased with the new Retributor rule, as it hopefully makes them less easily dismissed in favour of Dominion, though I'm thinking I might tweak the rule to allow multiple bonuses, e.g- +1 for each Act of Faith in effect on the squad or its target. This could mean a +3 bonus if you use a Canoness with Litanies of Faith to use both Divine Guidance and Holy Fusillade in the same phase, while another Canoness uses the Passion on your target, but that's quite the investment, I'd say a +2 is more likely to get a 3+ chance at recovering a Faith Point. The tricky part is factoring in whether this could be abused due to there being no death requirement; in other words, if I have three Retributor Squads fire on a target that dies that phase, they all get a roll, but unless they're all using Divine Guidance after the Passion was applied to the target then I think it maybe balances vs using your Faith Points too quickly (even with a 3+, statistically one of those squads won't recover a point, and they only ever get one per target, no matter how many faith powers they used).

I'm also trying to come up with ideas for Holy Promethium; I originally decided to delay adding this because I wanted to be sure of the powers and other elements first, then completely forgot about. It used to allow heavy flamers on Immolators to shoot at any speed, but I figure the ability for Immolators to trade Transport for Fast has that covered. My current thinking is possibly giving flame-weapons Blind and Pinning so long as a model is Faithful (permanently for vehicles), this compares against Inferno Bolts which are one-use but all about lots of damage. While Holy Promethium would be active most of the game, both rules are fairly situational; against many armies Pinning rarely takes effect same with blind, but getting one or the other can be very useful and potentially blinding enemies as they charge you is pretty awesome for an army that struggles in combat. My intention is for Holy Promethium to be an option for all characters and standard on heavy flamer Immolators (possibly making them more expensive like the Heavy Bolter variant).

I'm also thinking of allowing Retributors to take either Inferno Bolts or Holy Promethium (but not both) to give them further value versus Dominion if you're willing to slog on foot or pay for transportation, letting them further specialise the Heavy Bolter and Heavy Flamer load-outs if they take them (Multi-meltas I think are good enough at what they do already, especially in a Purifier Squadron).

For Celestians I'm thinking of dropping Inferno Bolts and Sacred Vow to 10 points, and adding Holy Promethium at 10 points as well (only Celestians will be able to take both Inferno Bolts and Holy Promethium together). Basically at their default 14 points they're a touch expensive for a unit that mostly just sucks a bit less in combat but will stay there if that's where they end up. Their real value comes after piling on some upgrades; I can see a 10-model squad with three flamers/Heavy Flamers plus both Inferno Bolts and Holy Promethium being nasty, but think that's better at +20 rather than +30, any thoughts? The 10 point saving could also allow a Vow of Sanctity to get that extra Faith Point for using Holy Fusillade, Counter Attack + Fearless for extra melee defence or psychic interference. I'm also thinking of dropping the requirement on the Celestial Host that all squads have the same vow, as that kind of detracts from their flexibility to have some with a vow and others focused more on equipment upgrades, mix and match different vows etc.

Oh, also I'm thinking of a minor modification to Acts of Faith, allowing models to remain Faithful so long as their last Act of Faith is in effect. This allows Hand of the Emperor to be used without losing Blessed Weapons (that phase), Divine Guidance, Emperor's Deliverance and/or Holy Fusillade without losing Holy Promethium and so-on. It also gives another small boost to Light of the Emperor, as it's the only Act of Faith that can be used with your one remaining Faith Point without losing Faithful status for an entire turn; it's worth remembering however that a Faith Point must still be spent, so using Light of the Emperor for free due to a Holy Icon doesn't restore Faithful status, it just gives auto-rally and re-roll 1's.
    Last edited by Haravikk; 12-05-2016 at 11:28.

Chapter Master

I'm also trying to come up with ideas for Holy Promethium; I originally decided to delay adding this because I wanted to be sure of the powers and other elements first, then completely forgot about. It used to allow heavy flamers on Immolators to shoot at any speed, but I figure the ability for Immolators to trade Transport for Fast has that covered.
    Actually the promethium forced the target to take moral tests for any amount of casualties rather than 25%.
    The 3e immolators had the ability to fire heavy flamers (but not other weapons) after moving 12" as a basic trait.

I'm also thinking of allowing Retributors to take either Inferno Bolts or Holy Promethium (but not both) to give them further value versus Dominion
    In my own dex I just lumped both under the same heading, so retributors/immolators/etc would have a single option that upgraded both heavy bolter and heavy flamers.
    However this was possible because the upgrade was identical for both weapons and may not be suitable in your case.

Oh, also I'm thinking of a minor modification to Acts of Faith, allowing models to remain Faithful so long as their last Act of Faith is in effect.
    That would make sense.

Major update focuses on integrating the new style of Celestine into my codex, so most points deal with that, plus some stuff I think I remember doing since I last updated (iBooks Author doesn't track changes, bah):

• Celestine now has 5 Wounds, Eternal Warrior, and comes with 2 Geminae Superior (Seraphim Superior stats with two Wounds each, Blessed Weapon, Bolt Pistol and Inferno Bolts). Her Geminae Superior are a personal retinue (she cannot leave them, but they join and leave units with her), and they suffer Wounds before she does, effectively acting as sponges before you even touch her 5 Wounds. This is basically standard fare from the Fall of Cadia rules, and bring her to 200 points.
    • Celestine has a 12" Stubborn bubble for Forces of the Imperium, useful however you take her.
    • With her enhanced durability her Miraculous Intervention now only occurs once per game, but restores her with two Faith Points.
    • Healing Tears (which brings back a slain Geminae Superior) is added as an Act of Faith, meaning she is limited by Faith Points to how often she can do this.
    • Both she and her Geminae Superior have the Vow of Sanctity, meaning she starts the game with three Faith Points minimum rather than two as before.
    • She still has the same stronger Ardent Blade, Faith powers etc. from previous versions of my codex, so while my version has no Blessing of the Saint built-in she's more deadly than her Fall of Cadia incarnation.
    • She can however now be included in any Forces of the Imperium list using a new formation. This keeps her and her Geminae in Reserve, and she can't be Warlord (so no Blade of the Emperor for Faith Point harvesting) however she instead has Blessing of the Saint which gives a similar ability to bestow blessings as her Fall of Cadia incarnation. The trade off is that she has less ability to harvest Faith Points, but can instead use one of the possible blessings to gain Faith Points instead (but it's turn dependent, so better to leave it till later, and means no other blessing that turn).
    • I've added Canoness Veridyan (yes, I have the model). She's a shootier Canoness with BS7, Precision Shots and Precision Strikes, two uses of the Passion (from her Warlord Trait), allows one model in her unit to fire at full BS with Overwatch, and has a unique Act of Faith to give Precision Shots and Precision Strikes to Sororitas within 12". Basically she's all about the use of mass shooting Acts of Faith, as on her own she's not that dangerous.
    • Sacristan Guard can now all take Blessed Greatswords; this is almost entirely for my own benefit as I'm using Sisters of Silence for these, but I actually kind of like it, since they're sacrificing an attack anyway which balances out the S5 AP2 weapon. The Palatine is a little more expensive but comes with a Rosarius on top of her greatsword; not a huge buff though since she's still only one Wound.
    • The Exorcist squadron's combined barrage attack is toned down a little; the reliable quantity of shots plus Fleshbane and Ordnance make it very nasty already, so it doesn't really need extra Strength (it's not intended for vehicle smashing, but it can still hurt lighter vehicles). The Exorcists now have a Chorus of Fire formation; this is really just to make it easier to build your force using the Convent Warhost detachment, as they're already powerful, so the only benefit is resistance to Crew Shaken and Crew Stunned damage results.
    • Fixed up an oversight on the Sacristan Guard which meant they couldn't actually take special weapons (since they don't have Boltguns), so I've added those directly to their options list. To make room I've moved Honour or Death into a glossary rule, as it's present in quite a few books so it really ought to be a universe rule anyway.
    • Simplified The Passion; no idea why I didn't do it this way before, but now it's just a penalty to save rolls for the target unit vs Sororitas, which makes it much simpler for exactly the same end result.

I think that's about it!