Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Iron Kid's Trench Themed Astra Militarum

Chapter Master

Re: Iron Kid's Trench Themed Astra Militarum

Ah.. ok. I have more than a few sentinels in my force. Three drops with Multis, three FW "Rocket" sentinels which will be Missile Launchers, three Armored Plasma sentinels, three Lascannon sentinels, three Volkite sentinels, three Lascannons, and another few that are as yet undetermined. I was happy I got the other two rocket sentinels when I did, they're now discontinued.

Shoulder pads work great for identifying your units in the most part. It's how I manage all the squads and sections in my force, a system of colour coded bands on the shoulders. Inside my platoons it's a three-band system, identifying Platoon, Type, and Squad - Red/Green/Red would be First Platoon, Infantry, First Squad for example. Other units are mostly two bands - Squad and Type.
    It's not Overkill, it's Insurance.

Grand Plog of Stuffness - http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256696

Questions, Comments, Queries and Rude Remarks are ALWAYS welcome, and Very wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauragnmon View Post
    Ah.. ok. I have more than a few sentinels in my force. Three drops with Multis, three FW "Rocket" sentinels which will be Missile Launchers, three Armored Plasma sentinels, three Lascannon sentinels, three Volkite sentinels, three Lascannons, and another few that are as yet undetermined. I was happy I got the other two rocket sentinels when I did, they're now discontinued.

Shoulder pads work great for identifying your units in the most part. It's how I manage all the squads and sections in my force, a system of colour coded bands on the shoulders. Inside my platoons it's a three-band system, identifying Platoon, Type, and Squad - Red/Green/Red would be First Platoon, Infantry, First Squad for example. Other units are mostly two bands - Squad and Type.
    Oh wow! That's a lot of sentinels! Yeah, I only have two right now but I really like the model (probably one of my favorites that gamesworkshop has produced). But I will probably only have 3 at the most. It just makes more sense to devote things like heavy weapons to units that can take orders or be more resilient. However, I do like the rules for scout sentinels. Outflank is so versatile and helpful in a battle especially for an army like guardsmen who usually don't move too fast. I have a cities of death board too so scout sentinels work super well with the move through cover rule!

And yeah, the only reason why I am not really feeling shoulder pad emblems is that I like the look of the dark metal shoulder pads on my units. Maybe I'll put stripes on their helmets.

Another update:

Painted my ratlings for the kill team:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160527_001 1.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	408.9 KB 
ID:	228090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160527_001 12.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	461.0 KB 
ID:	232768

And a veteran grenadier test model:

Name:	WP_20160527_002 1.jpg 
Size:	207.9 KB 
ID:	232769

Name:	WP_20160527_002 2.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	342.0 KB 
ID:	228091

I'm happy with how both these units turned out. However, I will be getting more red paints to paint the red lenses better - I resorted to mixing red with white and the lenses have a bit of an ugly pink look to them (yuck)

Iron Kid:chrome:
    Last edited by iron kid; 11-10-2017 at 17:49.

Chapter Master

Yeah, I have a lot of sentinels.. they can be used for a number of tasks, and give decent mobility to most of the mainstay heavy weapons. They aren't horribly resilient, but they do give me options to work with. Deep Striking Walkers with Multi-Meltas can be brutal, just like outflanking Autocannons, Lascannons, Missile Launchers.. and a squad with Plasma gives me a fast attack option that can deal with harder infantry like Marines. The maneuverability of the chassis gives its appeal to me.

I get your point on the shoulder pads. Helmets is a useful alternative, but there are a number of places where one can put unit designation markings, should the desire be presented.

Questions, Comments, Queries and Rude Remarks are ALWAYS welcome, and Very wanted.

Another update - Just completed my sentinel:

Name:	WP_20160607_016.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	335.8 KB 
ID:	232759

Name:	WP_20160607_015 1.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	305.5 KB 
ID:	228296

Name:	WP_20160607_016 2.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	228297

Name:	WP_20160607_015 1.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	305.5 KB 
ID:	228296

I'm thinking I will put on some decals and designs on his left big flat panel in the future - haven't quit decided what specifically I should paint yet though. I am currently working on completing my blob squad for my 1000 point army. Should have that done soon!

Iron Kid
    Last edited by iron kid; 11-10-2017 at 17:01.

That grenadier looks fantastic. Very Blanchian!

The sentinel is good too. The brass barrel is a really nice simple highlight- draws the eye in well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius 12 Reborn View Post
    That grenadier looks fantastic. Very Blanchian!

The sentinel is good too. The brass barrel is a really nice simple highlight- draws the eye in well.
    Thanks, man! Yeah, I am really enjoying painting these guys - the grenadiers will be put on the back burner as I have been doing some reorganizing for my kill team.

The highlight does contrast well, but maybe too much? I'm considering toning it down slightly with some agrax earthshade but another part of me wants to leave it because it does bring out the other colours....

Greetings!

Behold! the blob squad (notice the shields I added to the heavy weapons team):

Name:  WP_20160615_002 1.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  486.4 KB

Name:	WP_20160615_002.jpg 
Size:	261.7 KB 
ID:	232757

Although I enjoyed painting these guys, it was a marathon! But I have been quite good at sticking with it - in fact, this is the most completed army I have done yet so YAY!

Also, here's a closeup of the sergeant with a bit of platoon markings on him that (if you notice) match with his command squad:

Name:	WP_20160614_004.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	443.9 KB 
ID:	232758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160614_004 1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	339.3 KB 
ID:	228459

Name:	WP_20160614_004 1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	339.3 KB 
ID:	228459

Next up will be my company command squad - stay tuned!

Iron Kid
    Last edited by iron kid; 17-10-2017 at 04:31.

Chapter Master

Looking good, looking good, keep it up. You're doing good work, man.

Could it be?? Hello, all! after a year of not being able to post on this site, I FINALLY can!! I can't wait to get started again and post some wip photos of my army (and there's a lot to catch up on)

Name:	6tag_201116-103153.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	232750

For now, I will post this battle photo with my tyranid-playing friend. I will also re-update the thread with reposted photos of the ones taken down. Here's hoping that warseer doesn't get hacked again!

Iron Kid
    Last edited by iron kid; 11-10-2017 at 16:54.

Update:

Pictured are my "vendettas" this was a cheeky conversion I did back in 7th edition - I wanted the vendettas to appear as attack fighters instead of carriers (as that was what I was using them for anyways). However, with the new edition and access to forgworld books, I will probably convert these jets again into lightning strike fighters.

Name:	WP_20161030_001.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	301.1 KB 
ID:	232771

I converted the imperial fighter from an ork dakka jet as the original model resembles a first gen fighter jet and therefore fits the theme of my army better.

Work in progress right now are two psykers:

Name:	WP_20160917_001 1.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	232772

And heavy bolter turrets:

Name:	WP_20160907_002 1.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	232773

Regards,

Iron Kid
    Last edited by iron kid; 17-10-2017 at 00:39.

@ Iron kid they look like f1 sabres i like it
    Flashheart: Mind if I use your phone? If word gets out that I'm missing, 500 girls will kill themselves. I wouldn't want them on my conscience, not when they ought to be on my face!

Along with more vehicles and characters, I have also completed a 20 man squad of conscripts. These guys have been converted from the bretonnian peasant archers and are armed with lasguns and heads from pig iron. When compared to my other infantry models, they are a little shorter and look like poorer and less well-equipped infantry - which is precisely how I want them to appear (expendable, poor, and bloody infantry). they are also led by fat drummers to represent them marching up the field to their deaths.

Name:	6tag_020817-013155.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	307.2 KB 
ID:	232774

I have also finished my melta grenadiers. Too bad they are now obsolete as veterans no longer take carapace armour but I plan on taking a seperate detachment of krieg in the near future with converted deathriders and different-looking infantry that will represent an optional death korps of krieg detachment option. These guys could easily be grenadier storm squads or even scions if I choose. I will also keep the shotguns on some of them and play them as veterans if I want to. This makes the unit incredibly versatile as they could represent multiple units

Name:	6tag_190717-203738.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	232775

I will continue updating with photos taken of my progress over the last year as well as some action photos of the guardsmen in battle - still much more to come!

Iron Kid
    Last edited by iron kid; 12-10-2017 at 20:13.

Quote Originally Posted by iron kid View Post
    Update:

Name:	WP_20161030_001.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	301.1 KB 
ID:	232771
    I converted the imperial fighter from an ork dakka jet as the original model resembles a first gen fighter jet and therefore fits the theme of my army better.
    Cool aircraft
    Have a look at my Combined Krieg/ Ryzan Husarz-Grenadiers attempt: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177393
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggalo
    If my post comes across as angry/aggressive/offensive/whatever, it is not intended as such. At worst, it is merely incredulity, conveyed through the inflexible format of an internet forum.Don't flatter yourself thinking anything to the contrary

Quote Originally Posted by Armholeeio View Post
    @ Iron kid they look like f1 sabres i like it
    Oh, is that what they're called? yeah , that's what I was going for - I was about to use the vendetta model but it didn't fit with my army whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaivaen View Post
    Cool aircraft
    Thanks! I will post pictures of the model converted to look like the lightning strike fighter later on!

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

I will never not love custom guard regiments. What's your plan now that some of the parts are starting to get harder to find?

I actually have stockpiled a massed amount of bretonnians. When I started the army a couple years ago, you could still buy the kits which I bought a few. Then I got more models from people I knew, stockpiled from ebay, and bought China recast. I felt justified in getting China recast as the models were out of production anyways.

As it stands, I probably have about 200-300 bretonnian infantry models (both men at arms and peasant archers) and about 25 bretonnian knights with their horses.

Although I have lots, I intend to make a huge army of these guys, probably around 7,500 -10,000 points. At some point, I will need to do an inventory of everything to see whether or not I need more infantry models or calvary. Additionally, I want a ratio of 30 - 40 infantry models for every vehicle in the army as I want it to appear infantry heavy. This will be difficult as infantry are even cheaper for this edition's codex and vehicles make up a large ratio of points!

I have finished my five man squad of ratling snipers.

Name:	wp_ss_20170722_0002.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	232801

Additionally, I have painted a multitude of special weapons for my guardsman squads (although, I will probably be using mostly plasmaguns because of how cheap they are)

Name:	6tag_260717-200643.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	280.5 KB 
ID:	232780

In the wip right now are more vehicles. These three basilisks will provide an important component to the style of my army: massed artillery with hordes of infantry moving up the battlefield.

Name:	WP_20160829_001.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	282.3 KB 
ID:	232781
    Last edited by iron kid; 17-11-2017 at 23:54.

Finished the Inquistitor Coteaz model. I decided to paint his armour a white colour and have his cape purple as this makes the model unique. Although the eagle to raven change is simple, I think it's quite striking.

Name:	wp_ss_20171013_0004.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	232785

I have also completed my 3 basilisks (a quick process with spraypaint, wash, and drybrush).

Name:  WP_20170426_001 2.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  413.2 KB

Also in the works are my rough/death riders. These guys will be converted from bretonnian knights and have head swaps with pan helmets (something that I think fits the riders quite well). Additionally, I plan to mold gas masks for each horse that resemble the original death rider models.

This was a test model of the death rider.

Name:	wp_ss_20170801_0001.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	232787

And this is the rest of them being built together. It's a long process as I have to rebase every model.

Name:	6tag_070817-215243.jpg 
Size:	309.8 KB 
ID:	232789

Lastly, Here's an objective marker matching my army I made from the bretonnian trebuchet.

Name:	wp_ss_20171013_0012.jpg 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	232788

Stay tuned for more!
    Last edited by iron kid; 17-11-2017 at 23:53.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast