Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rise of the true faithful - a Word Bearers force

Rise of the true faithful - a Word Bearers force

Time for something different.

As gaps have grown between my painting projects (I even had to close my old ones its been so long!) Iíve realised part of what keeps me held back, other than my lack of motivation Ė the lack of carrot. As my self imposed limit of not going onto building anything new until Iíve painted the old isn't enough, Iíve added the carrot of writing background for everything. I will keep me happy, even if it doesnít anyone else.

It will keep me thinking about stuff whilst I paint it and make me plan more too. In fact, Iíve been very busy relatively to me!

Anyway, yes, background. My Word Bearer force will be one that has fled a recent warzone and had to put down, rather bumpily, on a hive world run down after years of exploitation by the Imperium. Ripe pickings for a Deacon to convert others to the Truth and a great way for him to get parts to repair his ship and get off planet sharpishÖ
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Re: Rise of the true faithful - a Word Bearers force

The first step on the leg of this.

The Diary of Arch Deacon Odiosara Verita

30 Days I've been on this planet. 30 days of hell, being forced to hide and lick my wounds like some cur. My glorious Host has been reduced to a mere handful of warriors. The ship I came to this on planet is all but inoperable. Even worse, we are in the midst of one of the most pious sectors I have ever been to. It makes me feel unwell.

Still...this planet holds potential. A factory world plundered for millennia by the lackeys of the False Emperor, those not in power or whipped into ignorance live in desolate squalor. There is real anger here. I can work with this.

Yesterday alone we gathered a handful of faithful souls when we raided a settlement for slaves to tend to our needs. Those not killed or set to rout fell to their knees in adoration - the benefit of keeping your subjects ignorant and faithful is that they will heap adoration upon anyone of power that comes their way. Many have begun to dye their clothing to match the armour of the warriors in my blessed Host.

A handful of them may even be worth using as proxies of my will...

13 chaos cultists down, only about 47 more to go! Sorry about the photos - I haven't got a dedicated space to paint at the moment, so I haven't got the right area to create a light box or anything like that. It will come soon, I'm sure

Paint scheme wise I wanted to keep it simple and be in line with the Word Bearer theme, with one paint colour added to make them distinctive. I chose Codex Grey as a base for them to represent the worn down clothing of a hive world worker. They added some Scab Red to clothing and weaponry to mirror the rest of my fledgling force

Elf Flesh was used for the skin and scatterings of Scorched Brown for pouches or parchment that would be highlighted to a lighter colour with Bleached Bone.

A wash of Flesh Wash was then applied to the whole model to blend it all together and add some grime- the aren't people obsessed with cleanliness after all! After that, it was some Skull White over the parchments and skulls - drybrushed on the skulls to make them look different enough. I them went over the models and picked over a few details on the models - usually piping and tubes with the off mohawk - with vibrant colours like Snot Green and Ultramarine Blue. I like how they make the models look just a little bit different with not much effort required on my part.

I'll go into detail on a few characterful models over the next few days as I finish them.

Game wise, these units I'm painting will either be one big unit of 20 or two smaller ones of 10 each. Cultists are cheap and meant to be disposed of when needed! If nothing else, they will make a great bodyguard for my Deacon.

Anyway, hope to see you soon! Any comments and feedback appreciated!
    Last edited by blackcherry; 01-05-2016 at 19:02.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

It's a pleasure to see another bearer of the true faith taking up the cause. I look forward to the Deacon liberating the downtrodden from their monotheistic oppression, even if a few need to be trampled in the process . . .

In terms of photos I find a white piece of paper can help as a backdrop. What are your plans for the bases?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.
    The Lost and the Discounted

The Cleave-man Browns

I'll give that a go with the next batch of models. Thanks Denny!

As for bases, I'm undecided. I have two gaming boards on the go creation wise at the moment, generic fantasy one with a tomb section and a ruined Imperial city. So my bases will be made to match one of them. Probably the city as I'll have fun creating (if not painting) them.

What do you use for your bases? I'm a fan of the ones you've created for your Word Bearers force.
    Last edited by blackcherry; 01-05-2016 at 19:03.

Mournfang brown, tau light ochre, bleached bone (or whatever it's new GW colour is). Quick drybursh and jobs a good in, plus if you get any brown on the feet of the model,it just looks like dirt.

A ruined city sounds good. Crush the infidels!
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.

The Cleave-man Browns

Aye. To give you an idea of how much I purchased when I was younger (and had money..) I dug out a cities of death terrain set. Which I forgot I had.

So some wood later, I'm putting it all together.

And thanks for the colour pattern. Running low on my old GW paints but I have a local store that sells Vajello (sp?) paints super cheap, so I'll go pick up the equivalent.

Do GW do washes still? Worried I'll run out of flesh wash before I finish this army.
    Last edited by blackcherry; 01-05-2016 at 22:20.

Result! 20 painted cultists

I'll be including a bit more flavour text for army over the next few days. And the good kind - no novelty giant clocks/sexism anywhere to be seen.

As always, love to hear your comments. Though don't be too harsh - my Deacon is a sensitive soul going through his dark night of the soul.

*The sounds of Evanescence can be heard throughout the Chaos camp*

Whilst I work on a few things, here are a few preview images of something I'm undercoating at the moment.

Anyone who can guess what they are gets a cookie and bragging rights.

Awesome work, blackcherry! Your deacon's name is especially fitting, and I'm really liking your fluff. Are those Forgeworld traitor ogryns I see?
    Then suddenly I saw it. With only a slight churning to mark its rise to the surface, the thing slide into view above the dark waters. Vast, Polyphemus-like, and loathsome, it darted like a stupendous monster of nightmares to the monolith, about which it flung its gigantic scaly arms, the while it bowed its hideous head and gave vent to certain measured sounds. I think I went mad then.
    from"Dagon" by H.P. Lovecraft
    Cultists, Mutants, Traitors, and Dregs of Society

Cheers LostCarcosa (may I drop the 25 if we're being informal? ). Means a lot given your amazing sculpts on your plog.

They are indeed Chaos Ogryns. You get the cookie!

I'll look forward to painting them, as soon as I can get a good basecoat that sticks to them. Hopefully one more layer of spraypaint should do it and I can start building things up from there.

Working on my next bit of fluff now. Let's see if I can cram any more italian words in as names...

I’ve see steady progress amongst those we took. Those selected for the work crews have set to clearing an area worthy of me and my Host, whilst those deemed worthy to be my vassals have shown potential. In particular, three stand out. I call these pets of mine ‘The Faithful’. They have impressed me more than the others, all of which represent the dross of humanity. These others are motivated by petty jealousies or desires, not realising it is humanities’ true destiny to submit and die at the whims of The Chaos Gods (though more directly me).

Perhaps if I scatter my pets amongst the others, they will all soon reflect the piety I expect of my subjects.

Daemyn, my cultist leader.

Though blinded in the initial attack on his settlement, this human has shown remarkable resilience and zeal. So much that I instructed one of my Host to give their hand axe to him, which when commanded, was used to butcher his immediate family.It now flickers faintly at night as minor warp spirits gather around an icon of betrayal. For this, I game him a name. The only one to be gifted to my subjects: Daemyn.

I have tasked him with whipping the rest of his squad into shape. It will be the blind leading the blind. This amuses me greatly.

The Hounds.

These two are like loyal guard dogs to Daemyn. When he preaches they either sway along, or else wander the group, beating those who are not pious enough.

In raids they are constantly by his side, protecting him and killing those who stand in their way. One even dared to bar my way. I broke his arms and had his brothers bind him in stocks which he now rushes headlong into battle with. Let that be a lesson to all those who oppose the will of Lorgar of which I am his voice on this heathen world.

Theme wise, I wanted my cultists to have true zealots in them, which after seeing the destruction even a small number of Chaos Space Marines can cause, dedicated themselves entirely to their new lives. More than any of the other cultists (who are a mix of opportunists and true believers), they have dyed their clothes to match their masters’ appearance.

They are scattered through the two squads of 10 cultists to show a bit of a difference – its amazing how flexible the GW Flagellant kit is! I have a few more to add to future cultist groups as well so it will be a consistent theme – I just need to rebase them first.

See you soon. As always, comments and criticism is welcome
    Last edited by blackcherry; 04-05-2016 at 11:23.

Digging the blind chap. Flagellants are awesome for cultists.

The Cleave-man Browns

Cheers dude - they really are. I think the four best kits GW ever made were the zombie, flagellant, men-at-arms (R.I.P. ) and catachan sprues - they are great for creating practically anything you want.

I miss that in some of the newer kits - its harder to mix and match them without some hobby knowledge, which stops you from being adventurous when you have less confidence.
    Last edited by blackcherry; 04-05-2016 at 13:17.

Of course! And thank you. Oh yeah! I cannot wait to seethose suckers painted. I didn’t realize that it was Italian; I thought it wasLatin (same difference, right ).
    @Denny - Agreed!
    I miss the men-at-arms too I think I have one boxleft, and am hesitant to use them now.

Then suddenly I saw it. With only a slight churning to mark its rise to the surface, the thing slide into view above the dark waters. Vast, Polyphemus-like, and loathsome, it darted like a stupendous monster of nightmares to the monolith, about which it flung its gigantic scaly arms, the while it bowed its hideous head and gave vent to certain measured sounds. I think I went mad then.

Quote Originally Posted by LostCarcosa25 View Post
    Of course! And thank you. Oh yeah! I cannot wait to seethose suckers painted. I didn’t realize that it was Italian; I thought it wasLatin (same difference, right ).
    @Denny - Agreed!
    I miss the men-at-arms too I think I have one boxleft, and am hesitant to use them now.
    I know what you mean - i have one myself and I'm hesitant to use it for anything but fantasy projects now.

Next post is nearly finished. Let me know what people think!

One last section on my cultists and their unusual secondary leader before I move onto something new.

I believe in fate. But I also believe it every persons duty to forge their own, imposing their will on the universe so it bends to it. So speaks the Book of Lorgar. Sometimes that comes from unexpected avenues.

Yesterday, I led my congregation on a raid to weed out the weak from the strong and gather more slaves. We expected no resistance – the other denizens of the area are pathetic in their meekness. Yet as we descended upon the shanty town a diminutive group of mutants emerged from nowhere and began to slay some of those following me.

This resistance was soon crushed as I entered the fray and gathered my scattered band to me. My maul accounted for a dozen mutants alone. Yet despite all this, one of them remained, evading clumsy blows delivered by my followers. It leapt for my face and I caught it, holding it aloft. Even facing death it refused to back down, cursing and attempting to hurt me.

How amusing, that the only being to deliver any form of resistance on this planet was one this small! I killed the rest of them to break its will and left him with Daemyn to be teach him The Truth.

Now he leads his own squad, a sign to the others that I am a generous master who respects strength.

Pleasingly, in the absence of troopers trained heavy weapon use some of my warriors have decided to mingle with the human filth. This has whipped the cults into a fervour. They are more loyal than even before, even if the rate of mortality has risen during sparring sessions.

I’ve always loved the ideas and model of Snotlings from the Warhammer world – little balls of fury weedier than even goblins. So when I get the chance to include one in my armies, I do.

So I thought it would be fun to add him in as a somewhat different Cultist leader that will make his squad stand out. I painted him in the usual way to my cultists. His skin is a mix of Snot Green and Scaly Green.

I've managed to clear some room on my table from selling items and also gotten hold of a camera. So hopefully the next few entries will have some better photography.

As always, comments and criticism welcome.
    Last edited by blackcherry; 10-05-2016 at 10:35.

Amazing writing as always, and a very well-crafted fluffy way of adding a Snotling to the Arch Deacon's flock. I'm looking forward to seeing whatever new members will be added to your growing multitude of fanatics.

Cheers LostCarcosa.

I'm painting a few bits up at the moment and finding a few teething problems, but as soon as I get something new, I'll have a new piece of fluff ready.

Ooooh, now there's an idea...

“The bold strike and take what is rightfully theirs in a galaxy of chaos. But the overconfident warrior will expose their throat, ripe to be torn out by a more cautious one” – The Book of Lorgar

There are days when I must remind myself of this passage of wisdom. My plans for this planet have been proceeding unchecked, in part due to my care not to attract the attention of the planetary PDF, as well as my area of landing being filled with pathetic specimens of humanity.

As The Word spreads out into the lower parts of the hive and my reach extends, opportunities present themselves. Such as the biomanufactorium crewed exclusively by the abhuman species of Ogryns. Such simple creatures I thought easy to turn into pawns, especially when they are left to their own devices by overlords too feeble in sight to understand what a prize such a place is…

Yet the laughter of the gods filled my ears. My human thralls were first rebuffed when they approached preaching wisdom, then finally broken and driven from the site by ogryns lead by a lone human when more forceful attempts were made. A lone man of faith at that!

It took every part of my will to not only kill the entire party who returned, but not storm the plant with my chosen and slaughter the inhabitants. But no, I cannot afford to play my hand so openly at this point. I have been given a lesson by the universe. I must heed it.

Besides, there is more than one way to accomplish a task. Perhaps I will even have my revenge on the corpse gods’ follower…

Sometimes, something creative reflects life. I’ve been having a bit of trouble finishing my forgeworld Ogryns models. So my frustrations ended up being reflected in my Arch Deacon’s world too

Something just feels like it needs to be added. My partner and I have discussed this and we think it’s the hoods of the models and the need to lighten a few patches of the model – what do people think of that?

Could anything else be improved? I’ll post a few more close up pictures for people to look at. Bear in mind, this is before I do the final highlights for the models.

I think a little more shade might help; some thinned down black/black wash (mixed with brown if you'd prefer) painted in between the fingers, in the recesses of the muscles (the armpits, under the pecs, between the abs), and where the skin joins the clothing.
    (Possibly followed by a highlight on the knuckles, veins and flat areas of muscle)

Normally I think the best way of improving a model is to focus on the face as this is where the eye is naturally drawn, but it doesn't really work in this instance because of the hoods. Do they have any details you can pick out (lenses etc?) Picking out the eyes in some way (green?) might help them pop.

I do like those models. Real scary SOBs.

The Cleave-man Browns

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast