Welcome to the Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016!

What is the Tale all about?
The goal of the Tale of Painters is to get an army fully painted within the next 12 months.

For most 40k armies the size will be somewhere between 1000 and 2000 points, but you can go higher if you want to (and you're crazy enough)! AI, BFG and Epic armies will be slightly different, but as long as you choose an appropriate sized army for your game system then there's no problem.

Once you've chosen your army, your target is to paint roughly 10% of your army each month. For example, if you've chosen a 2000 point army then your monthly target would be 200 points. The Tale runs for one year (September 2014 to August 2015), so if you stick to your 10% monthly target then you'll only need to paint for 10 months of the year.

To cover the months when you can't/don't paint, you get 2 Jokers. You can play a Joker at any time (provided you haven't used them both up!), which essentially means that you don't have to meet your target for that month. They can used for real life events (such as births, deaths, marriages, exams, holidays) or if you're just having a bad/slow month. If you use a Joker then feel free to post a suitable image instead (of a Joker or something funny).

What is this thread all about?
This thread is for work in progress (WIP) for this month. Please do not post any completed work for this month in this thread.

Feel free to post any WIP pictures of what you're going to be painting this month, army lists, background stories, battle reports, questions, and comments on anyone else's posts. You can post as little or as much as you like in the thread, but please keep it WIP. Do not post any completed work for this month until after the next thread opens at the start of next month.

Frequently Asked Questions
Q : Am I too Late? Can I still Join in?
A : No, you're not too late and yes, you can still join in! Just post in this thread stating which army and how many points you would like to paint, and I'll add you to the list in the second post. Please aim to paint at least 1000 points in total.

Q : Do I have to stick to just one army? What about allies?
A : No, you can paint more than one army or include allies if you want to! If you want to paint more than one army then just list each army you wish to paint when you sign up. Please aim to paint at least 1000 points for each army. For the purposes of multiple armies, as long as you aim for 10% of your combined total each month then it doesn't matter what order you paint things in. You could paint 10% of each army each month, or alternate armies each month, or 5 months of one army followed by 5 months of another army, or whatever combination best suits you.

Q : Can I paint more than 10% of my army in a month?
A : Yes, you aren't bound by the rules of the Tale, and it's great to get ahead. BUT, we would like you only to post (approx) 10% each month to try to stay on track (and to not depress those of us who are struggling to keep up). If your character/tank/unit is over 10% of your army you could simply paint him/it/them over several months. For example, a unit of 10 Ork Meganobz (400 points) could be split into 2 months of 200 points. Please post new WIP shots each month though, so we can see what you're up to.

Q : Can I paint less than 10% of my army in a month?
A : Yes, you aren't bound by the rules of the Tale. BUT, we would like you to try to stay on track by painting more points in the next month to 'catch up'. For example, if you can only manage to post 5% one month then you could try to post 15% the next month. Equally if you paint more one month you can take it easy and paint less the next month.

Q : Do I have to use my 2 Jokers during the Tale? Can I 'buy back' my Jokers during the Tale?
A : No, you don't have to use them and yes, you can 'buy back' your Jokers. If you can manage to paint/post for the full 12 months then congratulations, you'll have exceeded your target and truly embodied the spirit of the Tale! If you have already played a Joker and manage to get a month ahead (either by painting double one month or painting a bit more for a few months), then just state in your monthly entry that you wish to 'buy back' your Joker.

Q : What's with the D6 roll in your post?
A : The D6 roll was an idea introduced to help ensure that everyone gets some comments on their work. If everyone rolls a D6 when they post (I use the D&D dice roller if I don't have a D6 to hand), then we should have six roughly equal groups each month. Then, if you comment on those people who rolled the same as you everyone will receive some feedback. So, if you roll a 1, comment on all of the other 1's, if you rolled a 2, comment on all of the other 2's, and so on. Of course, if you have the time/want to, there's nothing stopping you from commenting on anyone's/everyone's work.

If anyone has any other questions please ask them, and either myself or one of the many Tale veterans will try to answer them. Also, links to previous Tales (and the current one) are in my signature for anyone who wants to see what we get up to.