Thread: The Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016: MONTH 9 (Apr finished/May WIP)

The Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016: MONTH 9 (Apr finished/May WIP)

Welcome to the Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016!

What is the Tale all about?
    The goal of the Tale of Painters is to get an army fully painted within the next 12 months.

For most 40k armies the size will be somewhere between 1000 and 2000 points, but you can go higher if you want to (and you're crazy enough)! AI, BFG and Epic armies will be slightly different, but as long as you choose an appropriate sized army for your game system then there's no problem.

Once you've chosen your army, your target is to paint roughly 10% of your army each month. For example, if you've chosen a 2000 point army then your monthly target would be 200 points. The Tale runs for one year (September 2014 to August 2015), so if you stick to your 10% monthly target then you'll only need to paint for 10 months of the year.

To cover the months when you can't/don't paint, you get 2 Jokers. You can play a Joker at any time (provided you haven't used them both up!), which essentially means that you don't have to meet your target for that month. They can used for real life events (such as births, deaths, marriages, exams, holidays) or if you're just having a bad/slow month. If you use a Joker then feel free to post a suitable image instead (of a Joker or something funny).

What is this thread all about?
    This thread is for work in progress (WIP) for this month. Please do not post any completed work for this month in this thread.

Feel free to post any WIP pictures of what you're going to be painting this month, army lists, background stories, battle reports, questions, and comments on anyone else's posts. You can post as little or as much as you like in the thread, but please keep it WIP. Do not post any completed work for this month until after the next thread opens at the start of next month.

Frequently Asked Questions
    Q : Am I too Late? Can I still Join in?
    A : No, you're not too late and yes, you can still join in! Just post in this thread stating which army and how many points you would like to paint, and I'll add you to the list in the second post. Please aim to paint at least 1000 points in total.

Q : Do I have to stick to just one army? What about allies?
    A : No, you can paint more than one army or include allies if you want to! If you want to paint more than one army then just list each army you wish to paint when you sign up. Please aim to paint at least 1000 points for each army. For the purposes of multiple armies, as long as you aim for 10% of your combined total each month then it doesn't matter what order you paint things in. You could paint 10% of each army each month, or alternate armies each month, or 5 months of one army followed by 5 months of another army, or whatever combination best suits you.

Q : Can I paint more than 10% of my army in a month?
    A : Yes, you aren't bound by the rules of the Tale, and it's great to get ahead. BUT, we would like you only to post (approx) 10% each month to try to stay on track (and to not depress those of us who are struggling to keep up). If your character/tank/unit is over 10% of your army you could simply paint him/it/them over several months. For example, a unit of 10 Ork Meganobz (400 points) could be split into 2 months of 200 points. Please post new WIP shots each month though, so we can see what you're up to.

Q : Can I paint less than 10% of my army in a month?
    A : Yes, you aren't bound by the rules of the Tale. BUT, we would like you to try to stay on track by painting more points in the next month to 'catch up'. For example, if you can only manage to post 5% one month then you could try to post 15% the next month. Equally if you paint more one month you can take it easy and paint less the next month.

Q : Do I have to use my 2 Jokers during the Tale? Can I 'buy back' my Jokers during the Tale?
    A : No, you don't have to use them and yes, you can 'buy back' your Jokers. If you can manage to paint/post for the full 12 months then congratulations, you'll have exceeded your target and truly embodied the spirit of the Tale! If you have already played a Joker and manage to get a month ahead (either by painting double one month or painting a bit more for a few months), then just state in your monthly entry that you wish to 'buy back' your Joker.

Q : What's with the D6 roll in your post?
    A : The D6 roll was an idea introduced to help ensure that everyone gets some comments on their work. If everyone rolls a D6 when they post (I use the D&D dice roller if I don't have a D6 to hand), then we should have six roughly equal groups each month. Then, if you comment on those people who rolled the same as you everyone will receive some feedback. So, if you roll a 1, comment on all of the other 1's, if you rolled a 2, comment on all of the other 2's, and so on. Of course, if you have the time/want to, there's nothing stopping you from commenting on anyone's/everyone's work.

If anyone has any other questions please ask them, and either myself or one of the many Tale veterans will try to answer them. Also, links to previous Tales (and the current one) are in my signature for anyone who wants to see what we get up to.
    The Tale of 40k Painters
    Year 1a (07-08)/Year 1b (07-08), Year 2 (08-09), Year 3 (09-10), Year 4 (10-11), Year 5 (11-12), Year 6 (12-13), Year 7 (13-14), Year 8 (14-15), Year 9 (15-16)

Orks (~14,000pts) - W:37 L:29 D:14, Dark Eldar (~5,000pts) - W:17 L:20 D:5, Chaos Space Marines (~2,000pts) - W:6 L:14 D:4

Re: The Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016: MONTH 9 (Apr finished/May WIP)

Here is a list of everyone who's signed up for the Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016 so far:

booah - Cult Mechanicus - 480/2000 points, 4/2 Jokers used
    Deusmex - Space Marines (Ultramarines) - 1234/2000 points, 1/2 Jokers used
    Dunk - Necrons (plus Chaos Space Marines) - 3040/2000 points, 0/2 Jokers used
    Edzard - Blood Angels (plus Sisters of Battle) - 268/1000 points, 3/2 Jokers used
    gogs78 - Blood Angels - 465/1500 points, 2/2 Jokers used
    ironduke - Space Marines (Ultramarines) - 360/1850 points, 3/2 Jokers used
    jpobrich - Dark Angels - 2848/2000 points, 0/2 Jokers used
    misterboff - Orks (Bad Moons) - 1735/2500 points, 0/2 Jokers used
    MrKeef - Space Marines - 70/750 points, 4/2 Jokers used
    punkfish - Blood Angels (Shield of Baal Crusade) - 1155/1500 points, 1/2 Jokers used
    Rob and Roll - Eldar (Eldar, Dark Eldar & Harlequins) - 440/2000 points, 2/2 Jokers used
    toonboy78 - Space Marines - 2265/2000 points, 0/2 Jokers used
    Zujara - Space Marines (Brazen Claws) - 939/1500 points, 2/2 Jokers used

Please can you check your entry and let me know if anything needs changing?
    Also let me know if you've used up all of your Jokers but still want to take part.
    Last edited by misterboff; 12-05-2016 at 21:59. Reason: updated to post #8
    The Tale of 40k Painters
    Year 1a (07-08)/Year 1b (07-08), Year 2 (08-09), Year 3 (09-10), Year 4 (10-11), Year 5 (11-12), Year 6 (12-13), Year 7 (13-14), Year 8 (14-15), Year 9 (15-16)

Orks (~14,000pts) - W:37 L:29 D:14, Dark Eldar (~5,000pts) - W:17 L:20 D:5, Chaos Space Marines (~2,000pts) - W:6 L:14 D:4

misterboff's Orks (Bad Moons): April 2015 (D6 roll = 3)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 265 POINTS (250 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 2000 POINTS (2000 TARGET)
    JOKERS PLAYED: 0

BACKGROUND/THEME:
    'Drawn to Grukk's Waaagh! by riches untold, Gashrakk da Flash took over as Warboss of the Split-Grin tribe. Ripe for some rough leadership after Grukk staved in the skull of their last boss, the Split-Grin tribe quickly fell into line behind Gashrakk. In the time-honoured tradition of the Bad Moons clan, to gain leadership of the Split-Grins he bribed most of its Nobz with the best guns and choppas teef could buy. Those who did not fall into line soon found themselves the targets of their former comrades' new arsenal.' - Warbands of Waaagh! Grukk (Codex: Orks)

UNIT(S):
    Gorkanaut (Grot Riggers) - 265 points

BUILD/CONVERSION:
    The Boyz are from Assault on Black Reach, but their arms have been replaced with Shoota arms from the Boyz kit. The Gorkanaut is definitely the most invloved/ambitious conversion that I've ever done! It started when I picked up three old plastic Epic Mega Gargants for less than a tenner, and a friend very kindly donated a fourth. The main body of the Gorkanaut is the four Mega Gargant bodies arranged two by two; with the top two facing forwards and the bottom two facing backwards. I glued some spare lengths of sprue inside to help hold things together too. Each leg is made from two Mega Gargant legs/sides, with one half of the Mega Gargant rear stabiliser on top. The head is an upside down Mega Gargant head with a spare Bommer plate/vent on the front(which looks a bit like a welding mask), covered with a random cog looking piece (that I think I got from a Christmas cracker!) and an Orky hatch.

The rokkits on top (where the heads used to be) are from the Mega Gargant kit, and the Deffstorm is a Mega Gargant arm ending in a Stompa ammo drum stuffed with six Big Shootas and then 'wrapped' with some Deff Dread shoulder pads/spikes and Chaos vehicle spiky bits. The Klaw also uses Mega Gargant arms, with Grabba Klaws from a Battlewagon as the klaws; and the Big Shootas and skorcha are from the Deff Dread/Killa Kans/Stompa kits. The troop compartment is made from cut down Bommer wings and Stompa chainsaw panels. The engine/exhaust uses a Stompa chainsaw arm (minus the chainsaw), along with lots of random Orky bits. Finally, I've added loads of glyphs/armour plates/spikes to make it more Orky (and plasticard to cover up any remaining holes).

PAINTING/BASING:
    The models are undercoated with Army Painter Daemonic Yellow, and then painted in the stages below. The first colour is the basecoat, the second is a wash and the third and fourth are highlights.

Yellow: Daemonic Yellow/Reikland Fleshshade/Pallid Wych Flesh
    Black: Abaddon Black/Nuln Oil/Eshin Grey/Dawn Stone
    Silver: Leadbelcher/Agrax Earthshade/Necron Compound
    Brass: Hashut Copper/Agrax Earthshade/Necron Compound
    Nob Skin: Waaagh! Flesh/Biel-Tan Green/Warboss Green
    Boy Skin: Warboss Green/Biel-Tan Green/Skarsnik Green
    Dark Brown: Steel Legion Drab/Reikland Fleshshade/Tallarn Sand
    Light Brown: Tallarn Sand/Reikland Fleshshade/Karak Stone
    Bones/Teef: Karak Stone/Reikland Fleshshade/Screaming Skull
    Eyes: Mephiston Red
    Bases: Steel Legion Drab/Citadel Sand

STILL TO DO:
    Base it!

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: Converting a Gorkanaut for less than a tenner!
    Lows: Painting it was a bit of a pain due to the copious amounts of different bits that it was converted from.

NEXT MONTH:
    Boyz...

misterboff

[Gorkanaut] - pics to follow...
    The Tale of 40k Painters

coolest geek in town..... toonboy78's Avatar

Toonboys (Marines): April 2015 (D6 roll = 6)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 230 POINTS (200 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 2265 POINTS (2000 TARGET)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
    Something a bit “fun” this month. I am lucky enough to be hitting a point with my models that I have got units with their “optimal gaming loadout). So now my chapter expansion can now have some fluffy units.

UNIT(S):
    Centurion Devastators with heavy bolters – 165
    Scouts with bolters and camo cloaks – 65
    Total 230

BUILD/CONVERSION:
    The centurions are built from the box. I leave off all the armour plates that are going to be painted yellow. This allows them to be painted separately and gives the yellow a brighter feel (and no accidental cross colour mistakes).
    The scouts are built from 2 boxes. I got both as presents (one from leaving a job and one from our secret Santa in the wastes). I used the sniper bodies and gave them bolters. The bolters had been converted to have the silencers from the sniper rifles put on them. There was a bit of green stuffing on the arms as they were not an exact match. I think I see GW maybe combining these kits in the future. The other box is pretty much built, just trying to find a power fist for the sarg.

PAINTING/BASING:
    The usual paint scheme for the black and yellow. The main difference for the black is I now have most of the GW range pf greys. A lot more than in the past 2!
    The scout cloaks were based with shadow grey which is not the fang. And these too were highlighted in one of the greys can’t remember which

STILL TO DO:
    Transfer on the centurions (this is a bit of a theme). The only question would be should the scouts be on a 32mm base?

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: smashing my second target
    Lows: still not having my custom transfers

NEXT MONTH:
    Well a surprise in store…..it won’t be marines…..

Toonboy

some WIP

my log (updated 04/05/17 Scorpion and Predator)

the code

Chaplain

Necrons and Chaos Space Marines (2000 points)
    I suck at commenting on others work, so don't feel like you have to comment on mine

Month 9 - April 2016
    MONTHLY TOTAL: 141 (Target 167)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 3040
    (Target 2000)

3x Chaos Bikes 70pts
    1x Chaos Marine with Lascannon 33pts
    1x Chaos Marine with Icon of Vengeance 38pts
    = 141pts

Kinda a slow month for this tale, but have actually been busy jumping around different units... Was having motivation problems, and switching between units/armies helped with that

Chaos Bikes

Chaos Marines (Lascannon & Icon of Vengeance)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 195 POINTS (200 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 1234 POINTS (2000 TARGET)
    JOKERS PLAYED: 1

BACKGROUND/THEME:
    The continuing story of the Ultramarines second company,......errr..... by adding some first company guys...... doh

UNIT(S):
    5 Assault Terminators 2 with storm shields and thunder hammers
    Total 195

BUILD/CONVERSION:
    Straight out the box build with a fancy sergeant with a sword and shield which is totally illegal and will have to be changed to a T hammer and shield.....second doh...
    PAINTING/BASING:
    Spray blue ,drybrush ,ink ,touch up ,done.

STILL TO DO:
    Sergeant needs a T hammer . Must remember to read codex before building in future

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: Went quite quick most being done in a day
    Lows: Dull, very dull to paint these guys

NEXT MONTH:
    Tacticals

Last edited by Deusmex; 12-05-2016 at 08:50.
    `I wasn’t scared, but I was up there looking around, and suddenly I realized I was sitting on top of a rocket built by the lowest bidder.’ Alan Shepard
    Imperial log http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...d-Wolves-oh-my

Comment time!

@toonboy78: I bet it feels good to be back to regular sized models! I really like the Scouts' goggles.

@Dunk: You are allowed a slow month every now and then! Great work as usual; and the fleshy bits are a nice touch (well, nice in the traditional sense).

@Deusmex: Brilliant work on the Termies. All the gold fits with their veteran status, and I like the Sergeant's helmet.

########

I've got a tournament coming up on the 21st (and I'll try to get some pictures); so I'm trying to get some basic Shoota Boyz painted up to go with all of my walkers. I've got 6 half finished, so hopefully I'll be able to finish them and at least another 6 in time (and hopefully a few more to post next month)...
    The Tale of 40k Painters

Commander

Zujara's Space Marines(Brazen Claws): D6 roll = 1

MONTHLY TOTAL: 145
    TOTAL TO DATE: 1039/1500
    JOKERS PLAYED: 2

BACKGROUND/THEME: Brazen Claws 4th Company, now joined by a small force from Ryza. Needed a break from painting power armour as well!

UNIT(S): Tech Priest Domius with Phosphor Serpenta, Autocadeuceus of Arkhan Land, Coversion Field

BUILD/CONVERSION: From box

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: Start to the Cohort Cybernetica formation, had a few fun games with it already
    Lows: Didn't get to finish any Kastelan robots for this month

@toonboy78: youre really racking up those centurions,should look great on the table.

@Dunk: Slow month or not you got a unit done and the beginnings of another. Keeping motivations is the main thing . I strugle myself and yes jumping armies helps so if it works dont fix it.

@Zujara : I have that model on my painting table. It such an awesome model im almost afraid to start painting it. Yours looks great in the Ryza colours.
    `I wasn’t scared, but I was up there looking around, and suddenly I realized I was sitting on top of a rocket built by the lowest bidder.’ Alan Shepard

coolest geek in town..... toonboy78's Avatar

great stuff as always guys

misterboff: where are these pics you promised us?
    dunk: nice black armour. it looks shinier than mine. wheat the trick?
    Duesmex: i love the sarg model. don't change it. people should be able to figure out what it is, especially as he can't have that load out so they should n't get confuse. rule of cool, it looks good so it is acceptable in game
    Zujara: nice start to the Mechanicum

here is a bit of WIP on next month's stuff

my log (updated 04/05/17 Scorpion and Predator)

the code

Brother Sergeant

Hey guys,
    I'm going to take a joker this month. I'll have something for next month.
    --J.P.
    Please check my Dark Angel Project Log!
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127795

some wip shots for next months.

if i get them all done i`ll be impressing myself.

prilHey guys and girls, the next thread is now up:

The Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016: MONTH 10 (May finished/Jun WIP)

The new thread is for completed entries for May (up until the 10th) and work in progress (WIP) for June (from the 11th). Please only post completed work for May in the new thread until the 10th.
    The Tale of 40k Painters

Chaplain

Sorry, I fell off the earth for a bit

Quote Originally Posted by toonboy78 View Post
    dunk: nice black armour. it looks shinier than mine. wheat the trick?
    Thanks, but I have no trick. I just give a 2-3 coats of Abaddon Black... that's it