Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Regarding Michael Moorcock

Re: Regarding Michael Moorcock

Quote Originally Posted by Khaines Wrath View Post
    My understanding is it was unique during a time where the modern fantasy industry was heavily influenced by Tolkien's many race fantasy setting.
    I was talking about fantasy literature, not industry. Might be just the authors I've read, but Stephen Donaldson, Steven Brust, Roger Zelazny, Ursula K Le Guin, Lloyd Alexander have lots of dragons in them and the odd elf*, but no hordes of orcs fighting dwarfs. Sure, I haven't read every book by these authors, but memory tells be they're more about odd people being dragged off to strange lands, rather than orc on dwarf action.

Quote Originally Posted by StygianBeach
    I thought Melnibonians were a kind of elf?
    What's a long-lived slender conqueror of peoples to one might not be a "lvl 1 elf ranger" to another.

*yes, I know Brust is riddled with the buggers, depending on your definition of Dragaeran. None of them is of the lvl 1 elf ranger type though.

Chapter Master Karak Norn Clansman's Avatar

Thanks for the info. Tolkien's many-races formula is the superior one, I've found, and even such gems as a Song of Ice and Fire is poorer for lacking it at the end of the day. Truth be told, I've grown slightly hesitant to pick up even acclaimed good fantasy where it lacks Elves and Dwarfs and the like bunch. Moorcock's recipe of chaos vs order is however a winning one (his work as inspiration was mentioned in the 30 year celebration WD IIRC), and works well where it's been copied into Warhammer/40k.

Tolkien is about good vs. evil, but there are lots of greyzones in characters in his works. The FŽanoreans in Silmarillion and many of the dubious acts of Elves, Men and Dwarves in the same book proves the point strongly. (In fact, the Hobbit is in many ways a friendlier version of the Silmarillion, where Men, Elves and Dwarves pull their bits together and don't backstab each other to hell and back and evil swallows all, and the Lotr trilogy is of course the most black and white work of Tolkien.)

So I'm grateful for Warhammer, which gave us both chaos and order, and Elves, Dwarfs and Orcs & Goblins. Best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Karak Norn Clansman View Post
    Thanks for the info. Tolkien's many-races formula is the superior one, I've found, and even such gems as a Song of Ice and Fire is poorer for lacking it at the end of the day. Truth be told, I've grown slightly hesitant to pick up even acclaimed good fantasy where it lacks Elves and Dwarfs and the like bunch. Moorcock's recipe of chaos vs order is however a winning one (his work as inspiration was mentioned in the 30 year celebration WD IIRC), and works well where it's been copied into Warhammer/40k.
    To each their own of course but personally I don't see the many races trope superior at all. As in I don't think it even factors when accessing wether or not a story/setting is good or not. In some cases I find it detrimental because so many authors use dwarves, orcs and Elves and do nothing different with them. Which gets a little tiring. I personally enjoy when authors have a go at either making their own fantasy races or even foregoing the multi race trope all together, considering its almost purely for the purpose of clearly defining factions. Which you don't need elves and dwarves to do.

Just look at Song of Ice and Fire, a Dornishman and a Northerner couldn't be more different culturally and aesthetically. Same with an Ironborn and a Knight of the Vale.
    "Whom the Gods notice they destroy...be small and you will escape the jealousy of the great" The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

I think it's a mists of time thing ...

I know who he is, but LOTR was only a series of books with a partially completed rotoscoped cartoon that wasn't very good when I was growing up.
    The "newer" movies did a lot to push him further into the background.
    That and although he was consistently referenced by Hawkwind, not many people these days know them, either.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia800 using my microwave as a proxy server.

That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.

I am the guy who thought the LoTR movies were crap and liked Judge Dredd.

Lurking in the dark... in the void between worlds....

Quote Originally Posted by chromedog View Post
    although he was consistently referenced by Hawkwind, not many people these days know them, either.
    Apart from all the Motorhead fans and all those who bought their most recent album and made it a top 30 selling album. And of course a recent ad for Ford which used a Hawkwind record for its soundtrack.
    Quote Originally Posted by philbrad
    As ever WINTERMUTE speaks the truth

Chapter Master

I read Elric of Melnibone around 10 years ago. I enjoyed it although I found Elric to be a bit self righteous as a narrator which irritated me. As I haven't read any of his other works I can't say if that's simply how the character was written or whether it's Moorcock's own worldview dripping onto the page.

Chapter Master

In case any Moorcock fans missed it :

http://eurekamin.com.au/news.php?new...VpVVZklPlrVHhY

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Apart from all the Motorhead fans and all those who bought their most recent album and made it a top 30 selling album. And of course a recent ad for Ford which used a Hawkwind record for its soundtrack.
    Recent advert where you are, perhaps. We don't tend to get the same adverts here (or indeed, the same models). We tend to go for talking heads and pop songs in the adverts here. It's also why I use the CMskip button on my remote.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia800 using my microwave as a proxy server.

That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.

I am the guy who thought the LoTR movies were crap and liked Judge Dredd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2