So let begin with the "long time lurker" thing. I've been watching this forum for ages, got lots of inspiration off you fine artists. Now I've decided after about a four year absence where I've just painted whatever I wanted without actually putting thought into army building, I've decided to make a rules legal army again. However I wanted it to be a modelling and painting challege, using as little standard GW models as possible.
I quickly decided on an Imperial Guard army with a difference. I wanted a cross between a medieval world look and a First World War look. With this in mind I scavenged a number of Cadian arms I had lying around and then bought these off ebay:
Two bags of Bretonnian Men-At-Arms. Perfect.
I promptly opened one up and took out the pieces that I would need:
With a snip-snip here and a snip-snip there I tried to get Cadian arms to fit onto the body of the Man-At-Arms. This was going to be more difficult than I anticipated:
However! Not to be disheartened. There was a solution!