Thread: The Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016: MONTH 10 (May finished/Jun WIP)

The Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016: MONTH 10 (May finished/Jun WIP)

Welcome to the Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016!

What is the Tale all about?
    The goal of the Tale of Painters is to get an army fully painted within the next 12 months.

For most 40k armies the size will be somewhere between 1000 and 2000 points, but you can go higher if you want to (and you're crazy enough)! AI, BFG and Epic armies will be slightly different, but as long as you choose an appropriate sized army for your game system then there's no problem.

Once you've chosen your army, your target is to paint roughly 10% of your army each month. For example, if you've chosen a 2000 point army then your monthly target would be 200 points. The Tale runs for one year (September 2014 to August 2015), so if you stick to your 10% monthly target then you'll only need to paint for 10 months of the year.

To cover the months when you can't/don't paint, you get 2 Jokers. You can play a Joker at any time (provided you haven't used them both up!), which essentially means that you don't have to meet your target for that month. They can used for real life events (such as births, deaths, marriages, exams, holidays) or if you're just having a bad/slow month. If you use a Joker then feel free to post a suitable image instead (of a Joker or something funny).

What is this thread all about?
    This thread is for work in progress (WIP) for this month. Please do not post any completed work for this month in this thread.

Feel free to post any WIP pictures of what you're going to be painting this month, army lists, background stories, battle reports, questions, and comments on anyone else's posts. You can post as little or as much as you like in the thread, but please keep it WIP. Do not post any completed work for this month until after the next thread opens at the start of next month.

Frequently Asked Questions
    Q : Am I too Late? Can I still Join in?
    A : No, you're not too late and yes, you can still join in! Just post in this thread stating which army and how many points you would like to paint, and I'll add you to the list in the second post. Please aim to paint at least 1000 points in total.

Q : Do I have to stick to just one army? What about allies?
    A : No, you can paint more than one army or include allies if you want to! If you want to paint more than one army then just list each army you wish to paint when you sign up. Please aim to paint at least 1000 points for each army. For the purposes of multiple armies, as long as you aim for 10% of your combined total each month then it doesn't matter what order you paint things in. You could paint 10% of each army each month, or alternate armies each month, or 5 months of one army followed by 5 months of another army, or whatever combination best suits you.

Q : Can I paint more than 10% of my army in a month?
    A : Yes, you aren't bound by the rules of the Tale, and it's great to get ahead. BUT, we would like you only to post (approx) 10% each month to try to stay on track (and to not depress those of us who are struggling to keep up). If your character/tank/unit is over 10% of your army you could simply paint him/it/them over several months. For example, a unit of 10 Ork Meganobz (400 points) could be split into 2 months of 200 points. Please post new WIP shots each month though, so we can see what you're up to.

Q : Can I paint less than 10% of my army in a month?
    A : Yes, you aren't bound by the rules of the Tale. BUT, we would like you to try to stay on track by painting more points in the next month to 'catch up'. For example, if you can only manage to post 5% one month then you could try to post 15% the next month. Equally if you paint more one month you can take it easy and paint less the next month.

Q : Do I have to use my 2 Jokers during the Tale? Can I 'buy back' my Jokers during the Tale?
    A : No, you don't have to use them and yes, you can 'buy back' your Jokers. If you can manage to paint/post for the full 12 months then congratulations, you'll have exceeded your target and truly embodied the spirit of the Tale! If you have already played a Joker and manage to get a month ahead (either by painting double one month or painting a bit more for a few months), then just state in your monthly entry that you wish to 'buy back' your Joker.

Q : What's with the D6 roll in your post?
    A : The D6 roll was an idea introduced to help ensure that everyone gets some comments on their work. If everyone rolls a D6 when they post (I use the D&D dice roller if I don't have a D6 to hand), then we should have six roughly equal groups each month. Then, if you comment on those people who rolled the same as you everyone will receive some feedback. So, if you roll a 1, comment on all of the other 1's, if you rolled a 2, comment on all of the other 2's, and so on. Of course, if you have the time/want to, there's nothing stopping you from commenting on anyone's/everyone's work.

If anyone has any other questions please ask them, and either myself or one of the many Tale veterans will try to answer them. Also, links to previous Tales (and the current one) are in my signature for anyone who wants to see what we get up to.
    The Tale of 40k Painters
    Year 1a (07-08)/Year 1b (07-08), Year 2 (08-09), Year 3 (09-10), Year 4 (10-11), Year 5 (11-12), Year 6 (12-13), Year 7 (13-14), Year 8 (14-15), Year 9 (15-16)

Orks (~14,000pts) - W:37 L:29 D:14, Dark Eldar (~5,000pts) - W:17 L:20 D:5, Chaos Space Marines (~2,000pts) - W:6 L:14 D:4

Re: The Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016: MONTH 10 (May finished/Jun WIP)

Here is a list of everyone who's signed up for the Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016 so far:

booah - Cult Mechanicus - 480/2000 points, 6/2 Jokers used
    Deusmex - Space Marines (Ultramarines) - 2054/2000 points, 1/2 Jokers used
    Dunk - Necrons (plus Chaos Space Marines) - 3517/2000 points, 0/2 Jokers used
    Edzard - Blood Angels (plus Sisters of Battle) - 268/1000 points, 5/2 Jokers used
    gogs78 - Blood Angels - 465/1500 points, 4/2 Jokers used
    ironduke - Space Marines (Ultramarines) - 360/1850 points, 4/2 Jokers used
    jpobrich - Dark Angels - 3638/2000 points, 1/2 Jokers used
    misterboff - Orks (Bad Moons) - 2084/2500 points, 0/2 Jokers used
    MrKeef - Space Marines - 70/750 points, 6/2 Jokers used
    punkfish - Blood Angels (Shield of Baal Crusade) - 1155/1500 points, 2/2 Jokers used
    Rob and Roll - Eldar (Eldar, Dark Eldar & Harlequins) - 440/2000 points, 4/2 Jokers used
    toonboy78 - Space Marines - 2541/2000 points, 0/2 Jokers used
    Zujara - Space Marines (Brazen Claws) - 1259/1500 points, 2/2 Jokers used

Please can you check your entry and let me know if anything needs changing?
    Also let me know if you've used up all of your Jokers but still want to take part.
    Last edited by misterboff; 20-06-2016 at 22:55. Reason: updated to post #13
    The Tale of 40k Painters
    Year 1a (07-08)/Year 1b (07-08), Year 2 (08-09), Year 3 (09-10), Year 4 (10-11), Year 5 (11-12), Year 6 (12-13), Year 7 (13-14), Year 8 (14-15), Year 9 (15-16)

Orks (~14,000pts) - W:37 L:29 D:14, Dark Eldar (~5,000pts) - W:17 L:20 D:5, Chaos Space Marines (~2,000pts) - W:6 L:14 D:4

misterboff's Orks (Bad Moons): May 2016 (D6 roll = 1)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 84 POINTS (250 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 1819 POINTS (2000 TARGET)
    JOKERS PLAYED: 0

BACKGROUND/THEME:
    'Drawn to Grukk's Waaagh! by riches untold, Gashrakk da Flash took over as Warboss of the Split-Grin tribe. Ripe for some rough leadership after Grukk staved in the skull of their last boss, the Split-Grin tribe quickly fell into line behind Gashrakk. In the time-honoured tradition of the Bad Moons clan, to gain leadership of the Split-Grins he bribed most of its Nobz with the best guns and choppas teef could buy. Those who did not fall into line soon found themselves the targets of their former comrades' new arsenal.' - Warbands of Waaagh! Grukk (Codex: Orks)

UNIT(S):
    12 Shoota Boyz - 84 points

BUILD/CONVERSION:
    The Boyz are from Assault on Black Reach, but their arms have been replaced with Shoota arms from the Boyz kit.

PAINTING/BASING:
    The models are undercoated with Army Painter Daemonic Yellow, and then painted in the stages below. The first colour is the basecoat, the second is a wash and the third and fourth are highlights.

Yellow: Daemonic Yellow/Reikland Fleshshade/Pallid Wych Flesh
    Black: Abaddon Black/Nuln Oil/Eshin Grey/Dawn Stone
    Silver: Leadbelcher/Agrax Earthshade/Necron Compound
    Brass: Hashut Copper/Agrax Earthshade/Necron Compound
    Nob Skin: Waaagh! Flesh/Biel-Tan Green/Warboss Green
    Boy Skin: Warboss Green/Biel-Tan Green/Skarsnik Green
    Dark Brown: Steel Legion Drab/Reikland Fleshshade/Tallarn Sand
    Light Brown: Tallarn Sand/Reikland Fleshshade/Karak Stone
    Bones/Teef: Karak Stone/Reikland Fleshshade/Screaming Skull
    Eyes: Mephiston Red
    Bases: Steel Legion Drab/Citadel Sand

STILL TO DO:
    Nothing!

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: Getting some more Boyz painted.
    Lows: Nearly quitting due to personal reasons, but I'm determined that I'm not going to be beaten.

NEXT MONTH:
    More boyz...

misterboff

[Boyz]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToP 9.9 - Shoota Boyz.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	373.2 KB 
ID:	228178  
    The Tale of 40k Painters

MONTHLY TOTAL: wait for it............. 820! (200 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 2054(2000 TARGET)

UNIT(S):Tactical Squad
    devastator squad + Razorback
    Captain
    Vanguard veterans

BUILD/CONVERSIONut of the box , razorback has forgeworld doors

PAINTING/BASING:Spray Macragge blue ink with drakenhoff nightshade , highlight ,done

STILL TO DO:Vow to never again by fine cast anything

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: well i got a ton of stuff painted
    Lows: Finecast sucks..... no really its awful.

NEXT MONTH:Chaplain cassius with command squad in a razorback and maybe a tactical squad and possibly a dreadnought.

just noticed i still have minimal work to do on somebases, like i said, finecast sucks.....
    Last edited by Deusmex; 01-06-2016 at 14:42.
    `I wasn’t scared, but I was up there looking around, and suddenly I realized I was sitting on top of a rocket built by the lowest bidder.’ Alan Shepard
    Imperial log http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...d-Wolves-oh-my

coolest geek in town..... toonboy78's Avatar

Toonboy’s Marines Eldar: May 2016 (D6 roll = 4)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 276 POINTS (200 TARGET)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 2541 POINTS (2000 TARGET)

BACKGROUND/THEME:
    Something very different this month - I decided to paint my dad something for his birthday. He has a pretty large Eldar collection, but no Swooping Hawks. |I personally really like these aspect warriors, but my dad not so much. I hope I could paint them up well enough for him to like.

UNIT(S):
    5 Swooping Hawks and an Exarch - 106 points
    Bharroth – 170 points

BUILD/CONVERSION:
    The models were straight from the box. I did more work on the bases to make them look a bit more dynamic and flying. Baharroth was given a flying post to give him extra support and a bigger 40mm base to make him look more imposing. It is a nice kit, bu8t starting to show its age. I was surprised when the 6th and 7th edition codex’s came out there was no Aspect Warrior update apart from the Dire Avengers. I can see how certain shrines can be combined in to kits, Hawks and Banshees, Dragons and Scorpions, Reapers and Spiders.

PAINTING/BASING:
    The models are undercoated with Army Painter White; these are the first models in about 20 years I have undercoated in this.
    The base colour for the hawks was Fang with a gradual highlighting up to Russ grey. They were glazed with eth blue to tone them back down.
    The wings where based in pale grey (I think Ulthan) and then glazed in blue, and then highlighted back up to a white.
    To tie in with the rest of his army the green was waaagh flesh highlighted in scorpion (?) green
    Baharroth was made a darker colour starting with the dark grey washed in nuln oil, and given a low level of highlighting.
    The base was XV-88 with bleached bone dry brushing
    STILL TO DO:
    Nothing!

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: painting some very different models
    Lows: Eldar are hard models to paint. They are a lot less forgiving than marines

NEXT MONTH:
    Scout Bikers

Toonboy

my log (updated 21/03/17 Librarian and Captain)

the code

Brother Sergeant

jpobrich's Dark Angels

MONTHLY TOTAL: 790 (April and May)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 3738
    JOKERS PLAYED: 1

UNITS:
    - 3 Ravenwing Bikes with 2 grav guns (105)
    - 3 Ravenwing Bikes with 2 grav guns (105)
    - Vindicator (130)
    - Drop Pod (35)
    - 6 Ravenwing Command Squad with all the trimmings (295)
    - Ravenwing Vengence (120)

CONVERSIONS
    The Ravenwing bikers have a simple weapon swap for the grav guns.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	April1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	228291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	April2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	228292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	April3.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	228293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	May1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	262.6 KB 
ID:	228294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	May2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	223.8 KB 
ID:	228295
    Last edited by jpobrich; 10-06-2016 at 11:17.
    Please check my Dark Angel Project Log!
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127795

Commander

Zujara's Space Marines(Brazen Claws)

MONTHLY TOTAL: 320
    TOTAL TO DATE: 1259/1500
    JOKERS PLAYED: 2

BACKGROUND/THEME: Brazen Claws 4th Company, now joined by a small force from Ryza.

UNIT(S): Kastelan Robot Maniple with 2 carapace Phosphor Blasters, 2 Twin-linked Phosophor Blasters

BUILD/CONVERSION: From box

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    Highs: Start to the Cohort Cybernetica formation, had a few fun games with it allying with my Space Marines
    Lows: Didn't finish all the robots

Chaplain

Necrons and Chaos Space Marines (2000 points)
    I suck at commenting on others work, so don't feel like you have to comment on mine

Month 10 - May 2016
    MONTHLY TOTAL: 477 (Target 167)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 3517
    (Target 2000)

1x Chaos Landraider 230pts + combi-bolter & Havoc launcher 17pts
    1x Chaos Lord (Black Legion) 65pts + various weapons 60+pts
    1x Chaos Lord (World Eaters) 65pts + various weapons 40+pts
    = 477pts

Was hoping to get more finished, but I guess that will be for next month. made some Chaos Lords for a role play game, so that's why I did all those weapons as well

Chaos Land Raider
    Want to add weathering... but that's for another day

Chaos Lord - Black Legion

(weapon load outs)

Chaos Lord - World Eaters

(weapon load outs)

Comment time!

@Deusmex: Lovely work as per usual. The Vanguard look great, and I love the weathering/purity seals on the Razorback.

@toonboy78: Great work on the Hawks. I've always loved their colour scheme, and they look very well done (particularly all the gems).

@jpobrich: A busy few months for you - well done for getting so much done! I really like the way you've done the wings on the bikers.

@Zujara: I love those models, and your colour scheme is awesome. It reminds me a bit of the robot from the Stallone Judge Dredd film.

@Dunk: Nice work once again. I think the WE lord is my favourite, especially the way you've painted the helm. I do love the 'fisticuffs' picture of the BL lord though!

####

For anyone that cares, my wife of 10 years (partner of 14 years, mother to our boys aged 8 and 6) asked me for a divorce last month; and has now moved out to be with someone else. I've been through hell these past three weeks, but I'm slowly trying to get my life back to normal. I've certainly got more time to paint now (if the mood takes me), so I'm just going to try and keep going.
    The Tale of 40k Painters

Chaplain

Nice work everyone

@ misterboff - that's heavy dude :/

Sorry to hear about your circumstances Misterboff. I went through the same thing when my kids were similar ages to yours.
    Let us know if you need time , i know i certainly did, and wed all understand.Its never easy but it does get better all it takes is time.
    `I wasn’t scared, but I was up there looking around, and suddenly I realized I was sitting on top of a rocket built by the lowest bidder.’ Alan Shepard

coolest geek in town..... toonboy78's Avatar

Comments:

@misterboff: always nice to get some boys painted. it makes you appreciate painting the larger more "fun" stuff. good luck in you home life
    @Duesmex: great stuff. more marines. the blue on the is very nice. i am a big fan of all the little extra details i see on them. they make the models really stand out
    @jpobritch: a huge amount painted this month well done. good job with the weapon swaps. i did something similar with mine . the specialist ravenwing models look good. i need to get some to complement the bikers i have.
    @Zujara: i really like the orange. can't wait to see an army painted like this
    @Dunk: nice work on this load of Chaos renegades (TRAITORS). good work with the magnetisation of them

here is my WIP for the bikers. i am a bit far behind, but i need them at least table top ready for the 1st July as i am going to use them in a game

my log (updated 21/03/17 Librarian and Captain)

the code

@misterboff: Good job on the Ork boys, nothing better than a huge horde of orks on the table.
    @toonboy: Nice Swooping hawks there. Nice to see them making a comeback in 40k they were overlooked for a long time.
    @jpobritch: Huge chunk of Dark Angels there and awesomely painted as usual, cant wait to see them all together
    @Zujara: Loving these Mechanicus models and the orange looks great on them.
    @Dunk: Another huge amount of work done . Nice Land raider and the magnetised lords are very nice.

This month for me has been hectic and a lot of stuff is already finished but i did take the wip shots first so here they are

Brother Sergeant

@Misterboff: Great bunch of boyz. Sorry to hear about your personal problems.
    @Deusmex: Lovely Ultramarines. Do you shade these? I love the depth of colour.
    @toonboy78: Those are some great old Swooping Hawks. You might shade your blue for a better contrast.
    @Zujara: These look great and the colour scheme works well. Have you tried edge highlighting?
    @Dunk: That Chaos Lord looks so cool!
    Please check my Dark Angel Project Log!
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127795

Hey guys and girls, the next thread is now up:

The Tale of 40k Painters 2015-2016: MONTH 11 (Jun finished/Jul WIP)

The new thread is for completed entries for June (up until the 10th) and work in progress (WIP) for July (from the 11th). Please only post completed work for June in the new thread until the 10th.
    The Tale of 40k Painters