Thread: Tale of Painters in the Age of Sigmar - Month 10 (May complete & June WiP)

Tale of Painters in the Age of Sigmar - Month 10 (May complete & June WiP)

Welcome to the Tale of Age of Sigmar Painters 2015-2016!

What is the Tale all about?
    The goal of the Tale of Painters is to get an army fully painted within the next 12 months.

Because of the fluid nature of the AoS system your army can be as large or as small as you wish it to be, for the purposes of the tale we will measure army size in warscrolls (though if you wish to pattern your army after one of the fan-made comp. packs that are available or even points values based on a previous edition of warhammer fantasy battle please feel free).

Your army theme is your own, if you want to draw scrolls from multiple factions/Grand Alliances or even include terrain warscrolls then that is your prerogative, let your creativity run wild!

Your target is to paint roughly 10% of your army each month. For example, if you've chosen an army of 20 Warscrolls then your monthly target would be 2 warscrolls. The Tale runs for one year (September 2015 to August 2016), so if you stick to your 10% monthly target then you'll only need to paint for 10 months of the year.

To cover the months when you can't/don't paint, you get 2 Jokers. You can play a Joker at any time (provided you haven't used them both up!), which essentially means that you don't have to meet your target for that month. They can used for real life events (such as births, deaths, marriages, exams, holidays) or if you're just having a bad/slow month. If you use a Joker then feel free to post a suitable image instead (of a Joker or something funny).

What is this thread all about?
    This thread is for completed work from the previous month (May) and later, for work in progress (WIP) shots of what you a working on for this month. Please do not post any completed work for this month in this thread.

Feel free to post any WIP pictures of what you're going to be painting this month, army lists, background stories, battle reports, questions, and comments on anyone else's posts. You can post as little or as much as you like in the thread, but please keep it WIP. Do not post any completed work for this month until after the next thread opens at the start of next month.

Things to note
    1. It's not too late!
    If you want to join the Tale midway through that's absolutely fine, just post on this thread with the army/faction/Grand Alliance/theme of the force you are building and the goal (preferably in warscrolls) that you want to work towards and I will add you to the roster.

2. FAQ
    The original sign up thread and Tale FAQ can be found here >> http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...Sign-up-thread

If you have any further questions please ask them, either by posting them below, or by shooting me a PM

3. Commenting on other peoples work
    Now is the time to post pics of your completed work for May, it would be great to spur each other on with lots of encouraging and constructive comments. Later in the month, once everyone has posted their completed work (usually around the 10th) I would encourage everyone to put up some comments for the other participants in the tale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Konovalev View Post
    Warseer's Warhammer General has become like a nerdy Jerry Springer. It's quite entertaining.
    Calling all AoS fans, please consider joining Warseer's first Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters

Re: Tale of Painters in the Age of Sigmar - Month 10 (May complete & June WiP)

Altsain - various AoS releases - 129/All the Warscrolls
    Artoris - Skaven - 2/10 Warscrolls
    beastofnurgle - Nurgle Chaos - 15/10 warscrolls
    Booah - Death - 4/10 Warscrolls
    Booah - chaos -3/10 Warscrolls
    Booah - destruction - 10/10 Warscrolls
    Booah - order - 9/10 Warscrolls
    ChaosGrobi - Khorne bloodbound - 1/7 warscrolls, jokers used - 1/2
    Darth Alec - Undead - 5/15 Warscrolls
    Djoblo - Stormcast Eternals - 1/10 Warscrolls
    Dunk - Orcs & Goblins and Chaos Warriors - 10/10 Warscrolls, jokers used 0/2
    Elfhead - Slaanesh Chaos - 8/10 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Flipmode - chaos - 0/5 warscrolls
    gogs78 - chaos & aelfs - 1/10 Warscrolls
    Gorthor21 - Stormcast Eternals - 17/20 Warscrolls
    Hagen88 - mortal realms tribe of ghur - 0/4 Warscrolls
    Jullevi - Stormcast Eternal - 0/6 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Jullevi - Khorne Bloodbound - 0/6 Warscrolls
    Kherith - Elves - 2/10 Warscrolls
    Lordmonkey - elves - 3/12 Warscrolls
    Makure - Forces of destruction - 0/10 Warscrolls, jokers used - 1/2
    meet.the.doctor - Orcs & Goblins, Khorne bloodbound - 12/16 Warscrolls
    Mr Feral - Skaven/Chaos - 4/10 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Reggiesson - Stormcast eternals - 4/10 Warscrolls
    Roostmanuva - Stormcast, Chaos & Forest Grots - 8/20 Warscrolls
    Shadowmancer - skaven - 1/10 Warscrolls
    SlyRebirth - Stormcast Eternal/Khorne Bloodbound - 8/20 warscrolls, jokers used - 0/2
    Spiney Norman - Khorne Chaos - 10/20 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Vazalar - Stormcast Eternals/forces of order - 1/10 Warscrolls, 2/2 jokers used
    Versatilebeats - Chaos - 4/12 Warscrolls, 1/2 jokers used
    Last edited by Spiney Norman; 01-07-2016 at 13:40.
    Quote Originally Posted by Konovalev View Post
    Warseer's Warhammer General has become like a nerdy Jerry Springer. It's quite entertaining.
    Calling all AoS fans, please consider joining Warseer's first Age of Sigmar Tale of Painters

Got three warscrolls done this month!

Herald of Nurgle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2548.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	228189

Rotbringer Sorceror

Name:	IMG_2553.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	228190

Chaos Warriors

Name:	IMG_2544.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	314.0 KB 
ID:	228191

This month I'm going to be working on a couple of clanrats, a unit of minotaurs and maybe building the Glottkin!

Brother Sergeant

Hope everyone has been keeping up with this! Managed to get some small number of Warscrolls done myself...

Most of the painting revolves around getting models ready for games in the Realmgate Wars campaign (we are playing through the campaign books), and it was a fair mix this month.

First off, a Verminlord Warbringer, who seems to be popping up in a few battles in the near future.

He is ably assisted by a Weapons Team:

And rats, big and small.

The Undead have been accruing too, with a Wight King:

And the Monsters of Chaos section is slowly growing - I figure these models are good to throw into Chaos forces to spice them up. This month, a Chimera (which was actually done in exactly the same colour scheme as Archaon).

More Undead, in the form of Spectres and a Cairn Wraith:

And the Morghast Archai:

Finally made a start on a Slaaneshi Host - the last Chaos force to do (other than 'unaligned/Slaves to Darkness). Began with a unit of Chosen, three units of Chaos Warriors, all led by an Exalted Hero:

I used the Slaaneshi Painting Guide for these guys, but no way am I doing the lining they suggest (a little beyond my Talent Limit) so went with drybrushing the armour instead.

Needed some Zombies for the Undead, of course.
    Last edited by Altsain; 03-06-2016 at 09:29.
    40k and Age of Sigmar Blog - A Tabletop Gamer's Diary: https://ttgamingdiary.wordpress.com/

Mongoose Publishing: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/

Brother Sergeant

Then the Slaaneshi Host needed some daemonic support, I figured - three units of Daemonettes, a Daemon Prince (a conversion picked up off eBay), a Herald and the Masque.

Quite like the monochrome approach to these models...

Finally got round to finishing two Hell Pit Abominations (these have been sitting on the painting table for a few months now).

The very first models for Warhammer Quest were done (okay, these were 'low-hanging fruit', I cannot deny...). Some Brimstone Horrors:

Got a battle coming up in Nulahmia, so Neferata became the first Mortarch I tackled - a lot easier/quicker to paint than I had first figured...

To counter Neferata, the Slaaneshi Host needed some fast-moving support in the form of Seekers and Seeker Chariots:

Along with Fiends and a Lord on Daemonic Mount:

While the army of Nulahmia got rounded off with a Coven Throne...

And Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon:

Which now allows me to do a full Battalion - Neferata's Blood Court!

Which brings the total up to, umm, okay, wow - 34 Warscrolls done in May. Hmm, didn't realise it was that many until I posted them all here. Might have to begin looking at putting the brakes on this little project.

Before I do that though, got some painting to do this month! I want to do some black-armoured Slaves to Darkness to represent Archaon's own Everchosen, the Warhammer Quest models, and some Bloodletter/Flesh Hound reinforcements for my Khorne boys. Might lump a new Khornate Daemon Prince in with that as well. And the new Bloodbound characters recently released. However, the big task will be two complete Echelons of the Dracothian Guard, twenty four Dracoth-riding Stormcasts in total. Plus a couple of Stardrakes.

Not sure that is entirely doable in a month, but will be taking a swing at it!
    Last edited by Altsain; 03-06-2016 at 09:32.
    40k and Age of Sigmar Blog - A Tabletop Gamer's Diary: https://ttgamingdiary.wordpress.com/

Veteran Sergeant

Think you need to be banned from the thread Altsain ha ha! Love the Chimera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorthor21's Astral Templars (17/20)
    Last month I finished off the newest batch of liberators for my secondary warrior chamber. It was fun to paint them in a different color but man was that cream color frustrating. I also painted the gryph-hound and the dark emissary which were fun distractions. Money has been tight lately and I need more starter set retributors and prosecutors to finish off my last two units. I had planned on getting more stuff for this army but I doubt I will have it by the end of the tale.

Chaplain

Orcs & Goblins + Chaos Warriors & Demons (10 Warscrolls)
    I suck at commenting on others work, so don't feel like you have to comment on mine

Month 10 - May 2016
    MONTHLY TOTAL: 2 (Target 1)
    TOTAL TO DATE: 10
    (Target 10)
    JOKERS PLAYED: 0 (bought back 2)

10x Orc Boar Boys (2 units)

All the arms has been magnetized (this is mostly for when playing Fantasy 8th/9th)

Better late then never... right?

@Altsain - that is almost 200 models in one month! 31 days in May! Even if you slept for 6 hours a day, ate only ordered food, didn't bath etc. it would take you 2,5 hours to paint a model, assuming you didn't take any brakes. Man you need to go outside one day!

@Gorthor21 - I love those potatoes in the background are the Astral templars the ones that are supposed to apear without helmets and in furs soon? I'll go for them then.

And as for me I didn't have much time in May.. So here are my WiPs.. (Actually 1 Warscroll - Wurrzag +1 extra squig to represent opponent's wizard turned into it). ...Which took me 3 days and need another one (bases and detail). Crappy iPad pics:

Name:	Image1465990285.553141.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	228449

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by meet.the.doctor View Post
    @Altsain - that is almost 200 models in one month! 31 days in May! Even if you slept for 6 hours a day, ate only ordered food, didn't bath etc. it would take you 2,5 hours to paint a model, assuming you didn't take any brakes. Man you need to go outside one day!
    In general, I paint for one full day over the weekend, with a few touch-ups/putting models together a couple of evenings a week

@meet.the.doctor, those potatoes have kept me fed on many a night haha. Yes that's what the black library Facebook page asid about them. I'm interested in what they will look like without helmets as that would give me good cause to work on some new conversions with old marauder parts. When I began them back in August there wasn't much to be known about them and I just liked the color scheme. I have even contemplated creating my own stormhost.

Finally I can contribute something to the tale again. I'm nervously awaiting my results for my masterthesis, which is currently being reviewed... I finally had some free time to paint. I finished my second unit of 6 Slaanesh marauders. I also painted a Sorcerer, converted form a model from the 40k Dark Vengeance kit.
    I've also put a lot of time into converting 6 cold one knights and even a Malus Darkblade model. I always liked the idea of knights riding for days, carrying everything they needed with them. So every knights carries a repeater crossbow, pouches or a bedroll and lots of trophies. It has been really fun to create all kind of different little details to individualize every knight. Malus was created with parts from the cold one knights, corsairs and a head from the spearmen box, and of course lots of greenstuff.

hope you like em'!

Slaanesh chaos Sorcerer

Slaanesh marauders

Slaanesh marauders, both units together

Malus Darkblade conversion

cold one knights
    Check out my high elves and cult of Slaanesh