Thread: Tale of Board Game Painters 2015-2016 month 9: May complete & June WIP

Tale of Board Game Painters 2015-2016 month 9: May complete & June WIP

Tale of Board Game Painters 2015-2016

Detailed description on what is going on here
    You can sign up whenever in any progress/WIP thread of the tale!

Painters in this Tale - Game - <#of month's batches painted>/<#of jokers played>
    HereBeDragons - SDE: Caverns of Roxor, SDE: Von Drakk Manor - 4/4
    Daemonslave - WHQ - 3/5
    EmperorNorton - Blood Rage and others - 6/2
    Naryzhud - Zombicide S2/3 - 2/6
    CrayolaSmoker - Star Wars: Imperial Assault, Mice & Mystics - 0/8
    CoveringFire - Space Hulk, Assassinorum: Execution Force - 8/0
    Aku-chan - Kingdom Death: Monster - 5/3
    MLP - Myth - 1/7
    Anzacaine - Puppet Wars: Unstitched - 0/8
    Great horned owl - WFRP/D&D - 5/3
    Boy Milla - SDE - 2/6
    Makure - Dreadball - 1/7
    Rusty Wintertooth - WHQ - 1/7
    Fitzbaron - Heroquest - 0/8
    Roostmanuva - Super Dungeon Explore - 6/2
    chrismisterx - Arcadia Quest - 0/8
    meet.the.doctor - Talisman expansions - 1/7
    ColShaw - Descent 2nd Edition, Battle Masters - 7/0 (Started Month 2)

Finished Board Games this tale:
    ColShaw - Descent 2nd Edition - 39 miniatures
    Covering Fire - Assassinorum: Execution Force - 24 miniatures
    ColShaw - Battle Masters - 105 miniatures

Let me know right away if I'm forgetting something in this list. It's important to get the credit you're due.

In this thread we post finished photos of last month's work. After a while of that we start posting constructive comments on each other's work and some WIP photos of what we're doing this month.

Don't forget you can still sign up anytime!

Happy Painting!

Re: Tale of Board Game Painters 2015-2016 month 9: May complete & June WIP

As promised, here's a large update. Very large, in fact!

First off, the Orcs. For some reason, I do really like the orange, and carried it through from the Goblins.

Closeup:

Back:

Champions of Chaos:

Imperial Archers:

Crossbowmen:

THE MIGHTY CANNON (seriously, that's what it's called):

Lord Knights of the Empire:
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to glue and buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by FraustyTheSnowman View Post
    Anything else I have to say has already been said by Col Shaw...listen to the lego man, he's wise.
    "Ember of Dreams"
    http://www.amazon.com/Ember-Dreams-C...0408773&sr=1-1

And with that, my BattleMasters set is complete! In celebration, here's some group shots:
    The Chaos Horde:

The Imperial Army:

And the full set of miniatures. 105 soldiers, a tower, and 4 little hedges.

I want to thank the Tale of Gamers idea for helping give me the impetus to finally do this very long-put-off project, and to see it through the hordes of little dudes. I'm quite pleased with the set.

I don't have another big project immediately in mind; I think I'll be catching up some old Battle for Skull Pass Dwarfs and some Reaper Bones in the near future.
    Anything else I have to say has already been said by Col Shaw...listen to the lego man, he's wise.
    "Ember of Dreams"

I am so totally jealous of your Battle Masters set. I am hoping to do something similar with my models, incorporating smaller bases into the game's big square sets. I love the way you did yours! Did you build them up out of plasticard or what?
    My Vampire Counts/HeroQuest Plog: http://www.wickedmetal.blogspot.com
    I'm coining it right now, Warhammer 20K.
    Violently opposed to plogs with LINKS to big pictures, instead of big pictures on the plog...
    "If you make me click through, no comments for you!"

This month I have painted two more Terminators: Brother Zael with the Heavy Flamer and Brother Leon with the Assault Cannon! There were lots of extra details on these, especially on Zael as you can see below. That guy's a walking shrine!

Brother Zael served in the elite 1st Company under Captain Raphael during the late-500's in M41, and most famously, took part in the cleansing of the Space Hulk known as the Sin of Damnation in 589.M41. Zael had communed with the Emperor every day of his life since he was an infant on the rad-trails of Baal's dust sea. He rarely smiled, but within his breast burned the fire of hope. His own transformation from a scavenging mongrel to one of the Emperor's chosen was proof that the Blood Angels could overcome all obstacles. Zael carries the Squad Lorenzo's Heavy Flamer, which he uses to bring purifying flame to the wretches who oppose the Imperium. Zael knows that humanity is destined to rule the stars. In fact, he intends to make sure of it. His self-belief and unshakeable courage make him a reliable and reassuring presence within Squad Lorenzo.

Brother Leon served in the elite 1st Company under Captain Raphael during the late-500's in M41. He most famously took part in the cleansing of the Space Hulk known as the Sin of Damnation in 589.M41. Brother Leon is known for not saying much, but his devastating Assault Cannon is eloquent enough for both of them. For Leon, there is only one thing that matters in battle: kill ratio. The more targets presented by the foe, the happier Leon is. When not fighting, Leon fastidiously maintains his weapons and armour, making small adjustments, adding his own litanies and benedictions to their machine spirits. This has caused some controversy with the Techmarines of the Chapter, who repeatedly requested that Sergeant Gideon ban Leon from the armoury when unaccompanied by one of their order.

Next up is Brother-Sergeants Lorenzo and Gideon!

Quote Originally Posted by benvoliothefirst View Post
    I am so totally jealous of your Battle Masters set. I am hoping to do something similar with my models, incorporating smaller bases into the game's big square sets. I love the way you did yours! Did you build them up out of plasticard or what?
    Thanks! What I did for the bases was that I first filled in the slots with wall spackle, then cut foamcore to the proper dimensions, and taped off the edges. The main problem I ran into is that space is at a premium for these units, especially the cavalry, and foamcore is not very durable when cut so thin at the edges. If I were to do it over again I'd probably use Masonite or something sturdier, but then I'd need to use power tools to cut it, too, so it might not be easier in the end.

I do think that having the models removable is nice, both from a painting perspective and in case I ever want to use the pieces in another game (the Empire models may find their way into a Marienburg Mordheim warband at some point, for instance).
    "Ember of Dreams"

Veteran Sergeant Great horned owl's Avatar

This month I have painted two gators (Hordes, Minions).

The smallest one is a Bull Snapper.

And this big one is Snapjaw, a special character.

I will add some grass and other stuff to their bases once I've got a few more painted.
    Next one on my paint station is the gatorman warlock Bloody Barnabas.

greets,
    Owl
    Owl can spell his name ("Wol") and the word "Tuesday" (so that you know it isn't Wednesday). He can also read, although only if no-one is looking over his shoulder.
    (From The house at Pooh corner)

Although I lost the will this year, it's nice to see that others have carried on in my absence - well done everyone! I hope you all make your targets.

Covering Fire: More red! More fine, clean paintwork. You must be getting most of the way through the Terminators by now. Keep it up!

Great Horned Owl: Okay, I really like those gators. The models have great menacing energy, and I really like the naturalistic paintjob. Very believable palette.
    "Ember of Dreams"

Well, nothing from me again this month (I should probably say last month as we're now into July).
    Have so many BG minis to paint it's no joke, so I will be back, but in the meantime here's some comments on your works;

@ColShaw - Congrats on getting your battle masters finished, they look great. You need to buy another BG now so you have something else for the tale!

@Covering Fire - Lovely work again! Can't wait to see a group shot of em all.

@Great horned owl - Nice work on those Gators. I particularly like the wet bases, how did you do them?
    Check out my log of random things here.
    Currently painting Iyanden Eldar

Veteran Sergeant Great horned owl's Avatar

@Colshaw: You have been busy in May, congratulations on finishing the whole Battlemasters set. Those orcs remind me of my first painted models from Heroquest. (But yours are much better). I'm looking forward to seeing your Skull Pass dwarfs.

@Covering Fire: more red heroes to save the universe. And they are painted to the same high standard as the ones before. Great!

@BoyMilla: I made the bases of my gators with a piece of cork board in the middle. I surrounded that with a mixture of sand, tiling grout, white glue and a drop of water. I left a few open spaces in that mud. In those spaces and on the edges of the sand I painted browns, blues and greens. After that I covered those areas with gloss varnish.
    Owl can spell his name ("Wol") and the word "Tuesday" (so that you know it isn't Wednesday). He can also read, although only if no-one is looking over his shoulder.
    (From The house at Pooh corner)