Thread: Question about Tables

Brother Sergeant Iron Hand Gotz's Avatar

Question about Tables

Hey guys,
    Just recently discovered this part of the forums - picked up some infinity more than a year ago, and only now have the chance to really get into it and excited.

I'm hoping to demo a game with my friends this year (having essentially never played before), and I want to get stuff sorted ahead of time as much as I can.

I've been wondering about Table size in infinity - I heard somewhere that 4'x4' is standard, is that true? What sizes have you used (I notice that the official scenery packs are 24 by 30 or something that totally doesn't mesh with a 4x4 size), and how much terrain do you put down, usually? I get that there has to be more blocking terrain than 40k.

Cheers.

Re: Question about Tables

4x4 is official for their tourney system. I've played smaller for small point games, usually 3x3. Terrain amount is roughly 65% to 75%, enough so you're blocking deployment zones camping.

Alright, fair enough. Might I ask roughly what percentage of terrain should be blocking vs non-blocking? I'm assuming some degree of chest-high 'cover' terrain would be good as well.
    I'll pour over the ITS stuff for more info - would you recommend using the setup / scenarios from the tournament system?

Chapter Master

For a demo game no. ITS is the full rules tournament system, i.e. you need to have a good knowledge of the rules to be able to build your list to have a chance to succeed in mission based play. In some cases killing the entire enemy army might lose you the game if he has more mission points by that time because the game ends automatically if he has to retreat.

For a 4x4 table i'd suggest 6-8 buildings of various sizes and heights and tons of what is called scatter terrain to block fire lanes (i.e. if you have a long and unobstructed road or corridor it's heaven for long range firepower such as Heavy Machineguns or Snipers). Scatter is basically anything that can lie around, i.e. small boxes, cars, wreckage, fences etc.

Set up the terrain in a way that high buildings should not be exclusively in the deployment zone because Long Range firepower such as HMG or Snipers love the good view of the battlefield, block firelanes and don't allow them to be longer than third or half of the gaming table for the same reason and then go at it.

There are several official manufacturers of Infinity (you can see them in any well stocked online shop) but Corvus Belli also offers cardboard terrain in various themes that are not expensive and a good way to have some cheap terrain for initial demo games. If you like the game and want to get into it deeper you can always start to buy "proper" terrain.

Thanks for the detailed reply! That helps a lot.
    Do you recommend scatter terrain to be lof blocking, or just enough to provide cover, or a mix? Or does it depend on how much unobstructed hallways there are after placing the large terrain pieces?

As I get more into Infinity I definitely want to put together some dedicated scenery (got lots of warhammer terrain, but cyberpunk would be a nice change from dirt and crater styles), but that might depend on whether I can get people around me to commit to it, so demo games