Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dawn of War 3 gameplay trailer

Dawn of War 3 gameplay trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEQM9sbQ4fk

Gotta say it's a pretty big letdown. I know it's pre-alpha but they might have wanted to wait on a gameplay trailer if this is what they've got to offer. looks like a step backwards from DoW 2. The units just stand motionless and fire. I loved DoW 2's dynamic cover system. Disappointing.
    Kinband Sereglas - my autumn themed wood elves

Re: Dawn of War 3 gameplay trailer

I agree, looked silly with Angelos jumping up(wow, for a guy in such heavy armor he sure can jump high), throwing his thunderhammer and then grabs it and slams it down.
    Is this Warhammer or an anime ?
    Armies of Malagor:
    Warhammer Fantasy/9th Age: Beastmen, Bretonnia, Vampire Counts, Lizardmen, Ogre Kingdoms, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarfs, Legion of Chaos, Undead Legion.
    Warhammer 40k: Chaos Space Marines, Ad-mech, Sisters of Battle
    Warmahordes: Skorne, Trollbloods, Khador, Circle Orboros

Quote Originally Posted by Malagor View Post
    I agree, looked silly with Angelos jumping up(wow, for a guy in such heavy armor he sure can jump high), throwing his thunderhammer and then grabs it and slams it down.
    Is this Warhammer or an anime ?
    I though the same. I am not keen on the weightless of it all. Ah well, not everyone can depict weight and momentus like Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Sunny Leeds, where the sun doesn't actually shine

Hmmmmmm I think I'll be waiting for a steam sale with this game so far, pre alpha or not that was bad.
    Ned's slow painting log
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
    Your right, and Abaddon really just wants to return the Emperors wallet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Green-is-best View Post
    If Under Siege has taught us anything, and I think it has, it's that the cook is always the deadliest member of any military organization.

I really do not get the the whole Angelos thing, I know one of the games makers said about it being like warcraft with armies and a hero, and it brings it to mind with how angelos is running, but it is a major lore breaker.

So much for terminator Armour being restrictive, I do like the new extra detail effects, but stand and shoot is very lacking, none of the troops flee'd when rocket barrage was launched or when over-matched enemies engaged.
    And the Dreadnoughts come of very OP. 2 dreadnoughts = 4 dead troop units.
    Also the Lascannons, by the Emperors ballz; can they tell the difference between a high power lascannon shot vs a Multimelta heat beam. Its like they combined them together. And apparently its Lascannon shots are rubbish when used against troops
    Sadly the best part looks like the base building, which is weird as I would have been ok with a simple base build and more focus on combat tactics.
    All I can say is this better be mod open like DOW1 so the Mod makers can fix what they can.
    Evil is a point of view. God kills indiscriminately and so shall we. For no creatures under God are as we are, none so like him as ourselves.

@Tarrell
    The AI is probably on easy, or it is skripted. So you can't really judge the strengh of the units.
    Like Shadows we move...like Thunder we strike.

My Craftworld Iybraesil and Harlequins Log

Thats true, though still not thrilled about their take on lascannons or terminator restrictions or lack there of.
    Evil is a point of view. God kills indiscriminately and so shall we. For no creatures under God are as we are, none so like him as ourselves.

There's not nearly enough ham for that to be Angelos.

Oh dear, this doesn't look good. I went from super excited when I saw the announce to not really interested when I saw the gameplay.

I really hope they are teasing this out in its current form and getting constructive feedback, as is it's a major putoff having melta-lascannons and gymnastic terminator bro.

It's pre-alpha, everyone relax a bit.
    I have no idea what I am doing.

It looks like a partial return to DoW 1, which did have characters jumping all over the shop when they delivered finishing blows, though perhaps not as bad as terminators doing it.

As for Dreads, they did tend to be a bit OP in the original game unless you dealt with them via heavy weaponry. I still remember several fully tooled up marine squads dying to a few killa kans because I foolishly let them get close enough for combat.

It's never a good idea to show off pre-alpha anyway, but I agree with the sentiments - yes, it does look ropey as heck, but chill out a bit.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Quote Originally Posted by superdupermatt View Post
    It's pre-alpha, everyone relax a bit.
    While true, I doubt it will change that much in the final product otherwise there would have been no point in showing it to begin with.
    So you will still have super-jumping terminators.
    Armies of Malagor:
    Warhammer Fantasy/9th Age: Beastmen, Bretonnia, Vampire Counts, Lizardmen, Ogre Kingdoms, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarfs, Legion of Chaos, Undead Legion.

While true, I doubt it will change that much in the final product otherwise there would have been no point in showing it to begin with.
    I mean sure, the art style isn't going to change but things like that can be certainly tweaked.

Chapter Master

And self-flipping missiles.
    Seriously if you want missiles to go up and arc, you build a launcher that points up, not missiles that magically kill their forward momentum, reorient themselves by magic, and then fly up.

Alternately, since there is no reason the missiles need to go skywards, just have them describe a feasible arc in the first place.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Quote Originally Posted by superdupermatt View Post
    I mean sure, the art style isn't going to change but things like that can be certainly tweaked.
    Yes things might be tweeked a bit but removing entire animations is not something they will do. If you intend to tweak the animations you generally have placeholders, like in Warhammer Total War where the first few videos didn't have very impactful charges.
    They generally just charged in and they said that the proper animations aren't in yet and true enough full release and you see the guys jumping and people flying due to charges.
    The Overwatch controversy was the same, the character Tracer had a victory pose that wasn't done yet so they gave her another character's victory pose during the beta as a placeholder so that she will have just as many victory poses as everyone else.
    To show off Angelos doing these super jumps in his cataphract terminator armor and spinning his hammer around like that, no amount of tweaking will save that animation, even if they reduce his jumping height by half, it will still look dumb and no way did this look like a placeholder, it looked intentional and unless they come out with a statement that due to feedback they decided to remove that animation(as they should), that thing will stay in the game as it is.
    What you might hope is that they add back that units move in to cover while taking fire on their own. They got that system designed and ready to go since they have used it games since Company of Heroes 1 but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if in the final product that they didn't add that either.
    It's a shame that the CGI trailer got us so hyped and now the gameplay trailer just killed the hype and Relic went from doing no wrong to having to prove that they can make a worthy Dawn of War game and that's a real shame.
    Armies of Malagor:

Yes things might be tweeked a bit but removing entire animations is not something they will do. If you intend to tweak the animations you generally have placeholders, like in Warhammer Total War where the first few videos didn't have very impactful charges.
    They generally just charged in and they said that the proper animations aren't in yet and true enough full release and you see the guys jumping and people flying due to charges.
    The Overwatch controversy was the same, the character Tracer had a victory pose that wasn't done yet so they gave her another character's victory pose during the beta as a placeholder so that she will have just as many victory poses as everyone else.
    To show off Angelos doing these super jumps in his cataphract terminator armor and spinning his hammer around like that, no amount of tweaking will save that animation, even if they reduce his jumping height by half, it will still look dumb and no way did this look like a placeholder, it looked intentional and unless they come out with a statement that due to feedback they decided to remove that animation(as they should), that thing will stay in the game as it is.
    What you might hope is that they add back that units move in to cover while taking fire on their own. They got that system designed and ready to go since they have used it games since Company of Heroes 1 but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if in the final product that they didn't add that either.
    It's a shame that the CGI trailer got us so hyped and now the gameplay trailer just killed the hype and Relic went from doing no wrong to having to prove that they can make a worthy Dawn of War game and that's a real shame.
    I should of been more clear, sorry. I was making more reference to the units just standing around and getting mowed etc.

Either way it's a small snapshot of an entire game, I'd still advise patience.

Couldn't agree more.
    1; Fix lascannons and Multimeltas, easy done, change the model to a multimelta and keep the lascannon animation, add in a new animation or borrow from eldar fireprism animation (though tweaked), make it very slow firing but high pen weapon.
    Also devistator squads usualy have more than 1 type of heavy weapon, they only showed off 1.
    2; Change his Armour to artificer Armour, keep the animations but change the model.
    3; Unit AI, fleeing and seeking cover are unit tactic basics, no reason to leave this out.
    I thought the missiles are fine, their firing like: Javelin antitank missiles, which launch forwards and straight up to come down onto the top side of tank Armour.

Chapter Master

That fires nothing like a javelin.

A javelin configured for top armor fires in an arc, launched from a shoulder-mounted launcher aimed upwards at an angle, achieves altitude and continues along a nearly horizontal arc, then comes back down at an oblique angle.
    /----\boom

This silly thing fires straight forward, then missile comes to a full stop, flips upward, fires off in a completely new (near 90 degree) vector, describes a tiny arc and comes straight back down.
    ...._
    ...|..|
    ...|..|
    --!|..|boom
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast