Thread: A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of coloured lead. - Sigur's Napoleonics

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of coloured lead. - Sigur's Napoleonics

Hullo, it's a new historical plog! By me!

Around this time last year I gave in and got me a 6mm Napoleonic French army. Sooner or later everybody dabbles in Napoleonics, right?

I mean I have before in 28mm/25mm.

With these guys I painted for our huge Waterloo game last fall:

My review of the chaps above:
    http://www.battlebrushstudios.com/20...-infantry.html

My review of these Austrians:
    http://www.battlebrushstudios.com/20...apoleonic.html

..and of course the Polish lancers:

...but that's all 25mm/28mm models and thus kinda unwieldy for my purposes: playing proper battles. Of course I'll hold on to the 28mm figures I have to play Sharp Practice or Song of Drums of Shakos.

If I want to play Napoleonics at division or army level the choice of scale/size to me is clear - 6mm. Affordable, very comfortable to store, you can have a proper game on a 6' by 4' table and still have some space or flanks to make move of and it's got the proper battle look, which I believe is hard to achieve with 28mm figures.

Plans for this project were fired up by last year's release of Blücher.

A very nice, sleek set of rules (whilst going for historical viable results and tactics) for playing army level Napoleonics.

Last year we made a test game to see if the rules were any good. For this we used the free-to-download scenario Along the Danube. All required units are included as printable paper bits.

A little close-up of the unit cards:

Each player commandeers an army consisting of roughly 3 or 4 Corps (the corps the unit belongs to you can see in the bottom left flag symbol. 1st corp, 2nd corp, Reserve, etc.). Infantry units depict a few batallion, cavalry units 6-12 squadrons and each artillery unit depicts 2-4 batteries. Each unit has an Élan value (the row of numbers in the bottom) by which damage and combat strength are counted (unit takes damage --> it's less capable of doing damage). The little sword symbol on the Grenadiers' card means they are extra dangerous in close combat.

Activation is a funny thing in Blücher: At the beginning of each player's turn the other player rolls for the number of activations he gets. Example: it's Blue's turn, Red secretly rolls 2 to 4 dice (depending on the size of the game). The sum the dice show is the activation score Blue gets for moving units around. Giving a whole corps an order or moving reserves behind the line of combat around is much easier and costs less points than ordering one specific unit around to do one specific task. The thing is that Blue of course doesn't know the number of activation points he gets and as soon as the value of his orders surpasses the number Red rolled in secret, Red yells 'Halt!' and Blue's activation turn is over. Not dissimilar to what Black Powder does, but pretty much the other way around. I like it.