Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of coloured lead. - Sigur's Napoleonics

Re: A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of coloured lead. - Sigur's Napoleon

@mrtn: Thanks.

Here we got the National Guards of Krakow (left) and Warsaw (right) next to each other:

I had to sculpt on the long trousers on the Krakow National Guard and some epaulettes here and there. Those chaps are done now.

Right, here's the plan for the next time in terms of Napoleonics:

.) 2 companies of National Guard of Warsaw Veterans:

Those are as good as done, just need basing and some fixing.

.) Vistula Regiment infantry, 1813 (2 Battalions. ugh.):

Don't let the yellow hat (czapka) on the gentleman in the middle confuse you; of course it should be dark blue. It's a funny thing, but you often see the yellow-topped czapkas on Vistula Legion/Regiment illustrations. Technically the yellow ones were reserved for musicians. There is this confirmed case in which a whole company (at least) of Vistula Lancers in Spain lacked in czapka replacements, so the supplies of the regimental musicians were raided. Some artist of the time painted a picture of these yellow-hatted lancers, over the decades/centuries other artists copied that picture and so today we got several images of Vistula Legion soldiers wearing yellow topped czapkas. Of course it's very likely that such ad hoc solutions happened in the field more than in this one case. In this colour plate you can also see how much of a "light variant" czapka the Grenadier is wearing - no metal plate, no kokade, no pompom or plume.

Apart from that I'll paint six Vistula regiment Sapeurs (Sappers/Engineers). They look like the impressive gentleman in the centre of the picture. Engineers of the French army all wore heavy leather aprons, big beards and axes. They did some mind-boggling engineering feats in the field (for example that thing at Berezina).

The models lack those big yellow tails on the bearskins. I have to sculpt those on.

.) A Bavarian General:

This one was given to me with the remark "this is for you to relax in between units". :-p

Well, that's the plan. As I said, the Veterans are as good as done.

Here are the Vistula infantry dudes:

All 25mm Minifigs.

Here's another WIP shot from this afternoon:

I decided to do the block painting on one battalion first, then I primed the other one and started block painting those as well before I tackle the mind-numbing but exhausting detail work.

Before all of that I sculpted the yellow bits onto the Sapeurs. Those are primed already too.

The Vistula infantry and Sapeurs should be done by next Friday.

Re: A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of coloured lead. - Sigur's Napoleon

Update time!

Started work on the Sappeurs. The faces were already done, I hath not touched them.

Here's what the Vistula regiment looks like at the moment:

What's next? Well. The metal plates on the czapkas (the hats), the chin straps and the brazen fittings on the sheathes of the bayonets and sabres, the fittings on the visors and the knapsack buckles. After that I'll do the cords (which are hanging over the plates on the chapkas), as well as the white stripes which separate the dark blue upper part (these were made of very sturdy reeds from the Nile and they did withstand quite a lot of punishment) and the leather lower part of the hats. Some of the dudes need the collars fixed. After that I'll go on to do the special details on the Voltigeurs and Grenadiers. And then I'll do the shoulder bits on the fusiliert and the details on officers and musicians.

At the same time I have to finish the yellow bits I sculpted onto the bearskins, details on the axes, the very visible buckles on the straps over the apron. The long list of brass coloured stuff above I also have to do on these chaps, plus yellow stripes along their leg trousers. Along with those I'll also do the turnbacks in the back. Oh, and the carbines still need the metallic parts and the straps done. I was told that the faces can be left as they are I'll see that I can get them to look prettier. And do the rest of the bearskin stuff (plume, cocade, etc.)

THEN comes the biggest fun: buttons! 14 buttons in two rows along the breast things, the upmost button on each side with a slightly larger gap to the second than between the others and 2-3 buttons on the cuffs of the officers. On the outer sides of the gaiters each soldier has 10-14 buttons, ALL of them silver in colour, because these are Polish dudes. Okay, it's not that bad. Most of the breast buttons are covered up by straps (which btw will take another ca. 20 gos at making them look right). The gaiters will be tough though, but you get used to it. I hope. In the very end I'll have to check the crosses on top of the czapkas, put matte medium onto the uniforms and leather bits get half-glossy.

Oh, and a whole lot of the Vistuladudes have to get veteran stripes, because by 1813 most of them had been in active service for a whole of a lotta time. Italy, Haiti, across several German states and Prussia, Spain, Russia, Poland, back to Prussia, etc. These guys did get around.

So much for this update. They gotta be done by Friday. Probably sans the basing. I'd ordered two pots of Humbrol Matte 31 (the ONLY colour allowed to use for basing), but they haven't arrived yet. Hope they arrive soon.

Try not to go crazy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

@Codsticker: Cheers. At this point I'm just exhausted and fed up, but one of the next steps is the buttons. Which is pretty much equals taking a peek at the fear that can not be fathomed which lurks beyond the known galaxy.

Next: Buttons and the yellow turnbacks and details on the officers and sappeurs.

Somehow during mounting the minis on the cardboard strips I missed that the Voltigeurs (yellow plumes) and Grenadiers (red plumes) are indeed different models (only in how "bulky" they are really. Grenadiers, as mentioned in this thread before, were the big, burly dudes.), so I ended up with two strips which have mixed Grenadiers and Voltigeurs on them. Hence the slightly messy look.

Once all that is done I can tackle the final 200 steps in which I tidy up things, check for mishaps I'd made and not noticed and so on. Friday afternoon I have to be done and take the minis to the customer. He'll check if everything's alright (which it NEVER is ). Once everything's okay I can base them and take them to the customer for a final check and hopefully leaving them there.

For now though I'll leave the Vistula chaps be for tonight and go base the veteran companies for the national guard of Krakow.

Hope you like the picture!

Here are the two veteran companies to go with the national guard of Krakow (whom you can see if you scroll up):

These chaps will go home tomorrow.

Right, off to the customer so he can have a stern and precise look at these chaps here. Fingers crossed everything's OK and I can proceed to basing.

Time to update this plog I say!

First, the finished national guards of Warsaw and Krakow, along with three bases of Sappeurs:

6mm Polish Lancers of the Guard:

A few nights ago I felt like painting something for myself and I got out the 6mm Polish Lancers of the Imperial Guard. Those chaps are a famous regiment in Napoleon's Grande Armée with numerous battle honours to their name. Originally they were raised as a regiment of light cavalry for Napoleon's Imperial Guard. The reasons for this probably were twofold: First, Poland was France's ally throughout the Napoleonic wars because he promised them independence and it would make for good relations to have a Polish formation around him. Also, Polish horsemen probably were the finest in Europe and Poland was a great source of manpower. On several campaigns Polish horsemen were Napoleon's lifeguard.

They had pretty strict prerequisites for recruits (in later years of course they were loosened as men from other guard regiments came in to fill the gaps) and it was mostly the sons of nobility with higher than usual education riding in the ranks of the regiment. In 1809 they were equipped with lances, which went along with a revival of the lance-armed horsemen in Europe which basically lasted until early WW1. After a demonstration at which a single Polish lancer won against three Guard Dragoons Napoleon was so impressed that a number of Dragoon regiments were re-armed and re-trained to be Lancers. The finest lancers still remained those from Poland (be it them serving in the French, Polish or Austrian army).

For his exile in Elba Napoleon took a troop of Polish Guard Lancers with him as his Lifeguard and during the 100 Days campaigns they fought with him in every battle.

The pennants (the little flags on the lances) were universally red and white in the French army. Red on top, white at the bottom. This was due to blood inevitably getting on them. The flackering pennants also were meant to disorient and scare enemy cavalry horses.

I painted all my musicians in full parade dress:

It was very important for musicians in Napoleonic times (usually drummers for infantry, buglers for cavalry) to stand out. After all they were the radiomen of their day and officers should always be able to quickly identify their musicians even in the chaos of battle to give them orders to pass on to the men.

This is what a Polish Lancer of the Guard looked like in full uniform:

Other things concerning Napoleonics: I may well get my hands on a bunch of French light Infantry in 28mm by the Perrys. And of course I'm currently working on some more 25mm Minifigs. All Polish Lancers (but not in French service, but serving in the Polish-Lithuanian army fighting alongside Napoleon's army). Just finished working on the riders of the 8th:

Uhlan of the Elite company of the 8th cavalry regiment (Polish-Lithuanian army)

Later today I'll pick up their horses. Until then I'm doing some work on the riders of the 6th regiment:

Uhlan of the Elite company of the 6th cavalry regiment

It's really just touching up and correcting the existing paintjob on the figures. Which is about the least sexy thing to do for a paintmonkey-for-hire like me, but someone's gotta do it.

By the way, I recently ordered at Minifigs. The process is slightly backwards if you're used to sleek online stores, but they people are really fast with the service and very nice indeed. The figures of course are an acquired taste to us nowadays and hard "af" to paint, but they do have their own charm if painted properly. Good stuff. Casting is really nice as well. They redid the moulds a while ago.

And last but not least: Look what I got yesterday!

I like that box design. The three sprues came in a plastic bag along with a 2-page A4 sized instructions leaflet for painting and assembly. Well, less of an assembly instruction than the picture from the boxfront (plus a back view in the same style. Very, very pretty.) and a bunch of numbers for where the parts go. There are no numbers on the sprues themselves, but if you open the instructions there's pictures of the sprues along with numbering for the parts.

Last night I couldn't resist ripping the box open and starting to build the horse. The fit of the two main halves of the body was awful. Some filing and shaving with a blade helped that though. The plastic's rather nice. Not too brittle not too soft. Detail looks great.

The little nubbins on the horse halves went bye-bye during all the filing of course. I replaced them with metal pins, mainly to help positioning the parts against each other. Then I applied some plastic cement (Revell Contacta Professional of course), used five rubber bands to tightly keep the parts together and it as off to bed. Me, not the horse. It stayed on the table.

So far the build is going OK. Of course there'll be much fiddlier parts later on, but I think it'll be OK. Painting the chap should be very, very interesting. Never painted such a large figure before (concerning scale of course. I painted larger things like titans and dragon and such. Also not counting the lawn ornament Snowwhite figures a few years ago.)

Some parts with a 28mm Space Marine for scale:

Let's see where this is going.

Oh, also: VIVAT 2017 will take place on November 11th! http://www.vivat-htt.at/ It's our annual get-together for historical wargaming here in Austria. Pop over, I'll be there with the painting table, miniature showcase, painting workshop and so on.

You have been a busy, busy little bee... Should we re-title this thread "Sigur does Napoleonics in every scale"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

@Codsticker: Let's say I'm starting to understand how Napoleonics as a period just swallows up people and they never really get out any more (in either sense of the phrase)...

Nothing better to wind down after hours of hours of painting Bay horses than to paint a Bay horse, eh?

I also started painting the rider:

Veteran Sergeant

I suppose if you ever get bored of Napoleonics, you could use the giant cuirassier as some sort of titan-rough rider cross?

@jbeil: Yeah maybe that's worth considering.

Update on the big guy:

Here's a pic of the sabre's basket WIP:

Heyhey, here's my report of VIVAT2017, our annual historical wargames show:

http://www.battlebrushstudios.com/20...ivat-2017.html

What a nice day out.

Mors Cattus Moderatus DeathCat147's Avatar

Sigur, the cuirassier looks stunning so far. Mind you I feel sorry for the poor chap, considering where you've placed the rod to fix him to the cork

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3