Thread: Looking for some French language recommendations

Chapter Master

Looking for some French language recommendations

A bit of an unusual one, but Warseer has never let me down before.

A second language has always been a bit of a gap in my knowledge base, I've recently taken to trying to learn one and picked French as the first (If I get on with it I plan to try for a third after that).

To try and help I'm after some recommendations for French language programmes I could watch/listen to and maybe websites to read. Ideally it would be material I could download and watch/read/listen away from home but stuff like a good Youtube channel would be appreciated too. Preferably these should be fairly simple at this stage and anything spoken with a fairly neutral dialect rather than a strong regional accent.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by brightblade View Post
    If Marmite is Satan's toe jam (which it is) then Vegemite is certainly at least his gritty bellybutton goo.

Re: Looking for some French language recommendations

Here's a good place to start : http://apprendre.tv5monde.com

Bonne chance!

Chapter Master Whitwort Stormbringer's Avatar

That looks like a great site, thanks Beowulf!

The app duolingo is great for starters. It's limited in its long-term usefulness, since eventually you'll want to dive into more conversational French (even if just listening to people speak in more than single sentences), but for initial vocab building, grammar, etc. I've found it pretty decent.

You're also just a hop, skip, and a jump away from actual France - nothing like visiting the country to work on your language skills! Once you've had a chance to build some vocab, learn some basic phrases, etc. I would see if some friends or family want to go to France for a short trip or two.
    The great thing about the dwarves is that, even though there's this comic element, when they fight - they really fight!

My infrequently updated nerd blog.

French is a language I don't like (no offense to the French, I just don't like your language, sorry), but I love the show Les Revenants. I watched it on Netflix (there are two seasons now). There is an American version of the show, too, but I can't bring myself to watch it.
    This is a link to the Forum Rules.----------
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannimarco View Post
    Arrogant egotistical insane sadomasochists do not make good team players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    Loth loves GW. Irisado loves Chaos Eldars. Wintermute loves Firefly. Three simple truths of the Wastes.

Chapter Master

Thanks for the advice so far guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm working my way gradually through Duolingo already, it's what prompted this thread in fact because I think whilst I'm grasping the reading reasonably quickly, the writing is following behind slightly but understanding spoken French noticably more so. I'm torn between whether to try and find French language TV with English subtitles or without, with would let me check my understanding as I go but at the same point I think I'd end up sub-consciously cheating by reading the English instead of hearing the French.
    Quote Originally Posted by brightblade View Post
    If Marmite is Satan's toe jam (which it is) then Vegemite is certainly at least his gritty bellybutton goo.

I think that watching and reading subtitles will help. Also, music. You can hear the French, read the French while hearing it, and have handy native language translations right beside it.
    This is a link to the Forum Rules.----------
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannimarco View Post
    Arrogant egotistical insane sadomasochists do not make good team players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    Loth loves GW. Irisado loves Chaos Eldars. Wintermute loves Firefly. Three simple truths of the Wastes.

Scout

Looking for some French language recommendations

Can I also have some, althought I didnt do anything to deserve it?