Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A guide to the AoS setting

Commander

Re: A guide to the AoS setting

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Well that was D-Day for Sigmar. But it would have been better if we'd received a more detailed account of the realm left behind when Azyr was closed, then we'd share the horror at the return to find verdant lands turned to plains of skulls, how a great city had been fused into a twisted hellscape, how such-and-such civilization where now Flesh-Eater Courts, etc.
    That would be quite difficult...the Chaos invasion that razed to the ground the Realms happened in-game a lot of time before the reconquista started by Sigmar. We're not speaking about ten or twelve years, but millennia. Chances are that, apart from Sigmar and other immortal charachters alive at the time of the Chaos invasion, no one on any realm actually remembers how was life before...except maybe for some kind of vague myth or legend.
    I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it

Thanks for the summary.

One question: Are the non chaotic factions (intentionally) attacking the realm of chaos? Or are they only fighting for the mortal realms?

What about the Mortarchs (Neferata, Manfred)? I heard some of them were in the books?

And is there any trace of Be'lakor?

Great summary, its nice to see just where the background is after a whole year. Ill agree 100% that the aos background is not yet a patch on the Old World, but i think its now showing great promise. If anyones followed Altsain's blog, this is an amazing example of how playing aos narratively can be an awesome experience, and for me it has really helped to illustrate how the early stages of the aos background can be brought to life. For the next couple of years i am confident that the aos juggernaut will roll onward with more releases of new and old factions rounding out each of the alliances, and the narrative evolving as it does so. Yeah it doesnt mesh well with the old wfb armies... Its not supposed to, update your force to something new or get a brand new army already!
    Marius Stormwrought

Lord-Celestant of The Stormwrought, Warrior Chamber of the Astral Avengers Stormhost

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by obaobaboss View Post
    Thanks for the summary.

One question: Are the non chaotic factions (intentionally) attacking the realm of chaos? Or are they only fighting for the mortal realms?

What about the Mortarchs (Neferata, Manfred)? I heard some of them were in the books?

Neferata is mentioned in the balance of power book and mannfred is pretty much in the center of the audio drama and novel version mortarch of night, a certain liche makes an appearance as well.

That was a good read, thank you for posting it.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by obaobaboss View Post
    Thanks for the summary.

To the first question: no, there are no attacks to the Realm of Chaos. At least for now, it is all about war in and for the Mortal Realms. Whether the Realm of Chaos can be attacked at all is not clear. The whole topic of taking the war to chaos and the final objective of destroying chaos, which is present both in 40k and in AoS, suggests that it could be possible, but has not (and maybe will never) be explored.

To the other questions: at least the three mortarchs with new modes are alive. No big explanation there, at least not yet. Their personality is pretty much the same than it was in WHFB. So they indeed survived, which given their undead nature, should not be surprising. But again there is still no explanation of any of this. Death faction is the one who has received less attention both in miniatures and fluff terms.

No idea about BeLakor, but I take it as granted that he is alive, as he is a daemon.

Yeah, fluff for death is thin on the ground, and what there is somewhat subpar. Such as Nagash betraying sigmar for no reason during the initial war with chaos, and again now in the season of war campaign. Very frustrating.

As for the mortarchs:

Arkhan and Neferata are currently leading Nagash's armies. Manfred was chopped in half and dropped in a random teleport hole, so he's probably fine, but remains independent (frustrating, since there are only four active named characters in the alliance, so Mannfred gone rogue and mia is fully a quarter of the alliances personalities not actually fighting for them). A 'lord of despair' was mentioned in the deathrattle fluff page from the alliance book, implying that Krell (mortarch of despair) may still be active. No word on any of the other Death heroes that made it to the end of the end times campaign. Isabella, Dieter, Khalida, and maybe even Settra could conceivably still be kicking around, but we haven't actually heard anything from or about them to my knowledge.

There's also a rampaging ghoul king out there somewhere, described as the source of the ghoul kings' infectious madness and corrupted form of vampirism, who may actually be Ushoran. Not much is known about him, though, and he hasn't made any direct appearances.
    They should have called it "Age of Krell"
    ~ Malisteen

Quote Originally Posted by malisteen View Post
    Yeah, fluff for death is thin on the ground, and what there is somewhat subpar. Such as Nagash betraying sigmar for no reason during the initial war with chaos, and again now in the season of war campaign. Very frustrating.

As for the mortarchs:

Arkhan and Neferata are currently leading Nagash's armies. Manfred was chopped in half and dropped in a random teleport hole, so he's probably fine, but remains independent (frustrating, since there are only four active named characters in the alliance, so Mannfred gone rogue and mia is fully a quarter of the alliances personalities not actually fighting for them). A 'lord of despair' was mentioned in the deathrattle fluff page from the alliance book, implying that Krell (mortarch of despair) may still be active. No word on any of the other Death heroes that made it to the end of the end times campaign. Isabella, Dieter, Khalida, and maybe even Settra could conceivably still be kicking around, but we haven't actually heard anything from or about them to my knowledge.

There's also a rampaging ghoul king out there somewhere, described as the source of the ghoul kings' infectious madness and corrupted form of vampirism, who may actually be Ushoran. Not much is known about him, though, and he hasn't made any direct appearances.
    I thought khalida died with neferata? And that Isabella suicided after vlads death (again).

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malorne View Post
    I thought khalida died with neferata? And that Isabella suicided after vlads death (again).
    Like all deaths with bad guys, I imagine it didn't stick.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

This is probably the best summary of the AoS universe that I've seen so far - thanks very much. Even as someone who dislikes the setting pretty intensely, it helps to actually check my feelings against the facts, rather than internet chatter that may or may not be accurate.

One thing that really bugs me about this (and, note, I think this is a setting problem rather than one with the OP) is that there's no clear reason for these factions to be fighting. Chaos is gonna Chaos, obviously, but with the apparently endless breadth of the Realms, combined with the fact that there seem to be relatively few, y'know, mortals in them means that you've got a lot of immortal gods and quasi-gods battling over seemingly nothing. For a company whose IP revolves around war, GW seems curiously unable to grasp that war is almost always a product of scarcity.
    Last edited by Lexington; 15-07-2016 at 17:28.
    Misfire! Comics

It has been 10 years since our last workplace Cease & Desist incident.

iirc, all 3 made it to the end. Vlad killed himself to free isabella from the nurgle daemon, Arkhan found Isabella unconscious, gave her to Neferata, and told her to get out of there, covering their escape. Neferata made it back to Sylvania, and stood side by side with Khalida as they watched the warp rift tear the world apart around them.

I may have details slightly off there, but yeah, Khalida, Isabella, and Neferata all made it to the end.

Not that that necessarily matters one way or the other, since the world ending tends to be fatal anyway, and even if they all died, they're undead and could be dragged back to unlife by Nagash without any more justification than that.

Personally, though, I'd love to see all three of them get some more attention. Neferata's at least made an appearance, but hasn't really had the opportunity to do anything yet, Khalida's always been an interesting character, and Isabella, while a bit one note in the past, is perfectly positioned to become a much more compelling character going forward, should the designers choose to bring her back while leaving her husband dead (chosing to live in honor of his sacrifice instead of die again, could raise her up as a commander and tactician in her own right, maybe found a new sylvania somewhere in Shysh, maybe find some young noble or stormcast who reminds her of Vlad, or maybe is a reincarnation of him, in a gender swap of the dracula trope, etc).

A new mortarch triple kit could be cool, with isabella, khalida, and krell? Or isabella, khalida, and an undead/corrupted version of that stormcast guy whose soul Nagash captured?

Eh. If wishes were fishes, I'd have died of mercury poisoning long ago.
    ~ Malisteen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    That would be quite difficult...the Chaos invasion that razed to the ground the Realms happened in-game a lot of time before the reconquista started by Sigmar. We're not speaking about ten or twelve years, but millennia. Chances are that, apart from Sigmar and other immortal charachters alive at the time of the Chaos invasion, no one on any realm actually remembers how was life before...except maybe for some kind of vague myth or legend.
    Warbeast features a Lord-Celestant who was plucked from the Realm of Beasts by Sigmar, mere centuries before "Sigmar's Storm", so it seems Sigmar was still gathering souls for his Stormhosts right up to the event.

Edit: Also, you make it sound like the Stormcast Eternals aren't immortal... or near enough... Vandus Hammerhand, the central character from the boxed starter/core set, was plucked from the Realm of Fire at the beginning of Khorne's conquest of it... so he's been 'alive' though the Age of Chaos, being made into a Stormcast, reforged, trained etc.

Archaon offered to leave Nagash the Realm of Death in exchange for abandoning Sigmar. Nagash accepted this, planning to build up his strength to betray Archaon. Understandably, Archaon had no intention of keeping his word, and unleashed the Skaven into Shyish... between that and Sigmar's vengeance, Nagash was no match for when Archaon did turn up, and was shattered and been spending the time between his defeat and the Stormcast Eternal's arrival, recovering his strength.
    Last edited by Rogue Star; 15-07-2016 at 19:21.
    “Hell is empty and all the devils are here.” - William Shakespeare
    “Hope is the worst of evils, for it prolongs the torment of man” - Friedrich Nietzsche
    “We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell” - Oscar Wilde

Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    This is probably the best summary of the AoS universe that I've seen so far - thanks very much. Even as someone who dislikes the setting pretty intensely, it helps to actually check my feelings against the facts, rather than internet chatter that may or may not be accurate.

One thing that really bugs me about this (and, note, I think this is a setting problem rather than one with the OP) is that there's no clear reason for these factions to be fighting. Chaos is gonna Chaos, obviously, but with the apparently endless breadth of the Realms, combined with the fact that there seem to be relatively few, y'know, mortals in them means that you've got a lot of immortal gods and quasi-gods battling over seemingly nothing. For a company whose IP revolves around war, GW seems curiously unable to grasp that war is almost always a product of scarcity.
    Exactly this. Furthermore all the coherency of the former univere has been thrown through the window. Well, imho this setting can't improve since its foundations are totally awkward.
    If GW was a Chaos god, they'd be fueled by nerd rage.@MrBigMr

Walls fall. Fists do not!!!

IF 5th company :
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...63#post5924863

Ugh.... Steamhead Duardin 😣

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Veteran Sergeant

As for the mortarchs:

I don't think mannfred is independent, they make the point in the all-gates book that nagash is gathering his mortarch's to take his all gate point and in the novels he says he will punish mannfred and the wording his used in their meeting he still considers him to be his mortarch. (Not once does he say he will kill him) Nagash just views mannfred like a rebellious child/beast that need's to be bought to heel. Do remember the portal he got sucked up in was coloured purple as well and nagash's considers the fang to be a bauble compared to his might. Right now I think nagash has mannfred at the moment so that's one mortarch down and Arkhan is always with him and I suspect Tarsem will be turned into a mortarch. I mean Arkhan did not do much in that situation he could of easily killed mannfred if he wanted him dead. He seemed more to let things be with the fang more than anything like he knew what would happen.

Do remember Sigmar wanted Mannfred in sliver chains to present to his "old foe", Do you think Nagash would allow such a thing? As mannfred said nagash views all of the dead as his property, hence why I believe Arkhan was there to make sure that mannfred used the fang. He was not truly there to punish him I think. Since mannfred would never go back to the realm of Death willingly. I think sigmar's ploy was to trade Mannfred for Tarsem, if my theory is correct now nagash possibly has both now.

I suspect we are going to see Krell at some point hopefully with a shiny new model.

Mannfred make's the point that nagash views the dead and souls as his property extensions of his being. Hell mannfred bought nagash's broken body to the underworld along with the other mortarch's after he got beaten by Archaon going by Arkhan's and mannfred's discussion mannfred just seems jelly that Arkhan is the favorite. All the mortarch's are acting like children honestly and nagash's treats them like such when he call's mannfred his child. XD

In the end times return of nagash they even hint it may of been nagash's will/manipulations that got him to be resurrected when he died at Hel Fenn. He was marked out for servitude ages ago considering Arkhan notes that he see's nagash's shadow around mannfred just like Arkhan and Krell bear that shadow. Thing is mannfred does not even realize he has a chain compared to Arkhan.

Neferata thought she could rule his empire since she thought he was dead but that dream got dashed out of the window as soon as he spoke in her head.

Plus nagash is not betraying sigmar for no reason consider he still has his beef with him from the old world, plus he is stealing souls via stormcast and depriving him of power I suspect he used that small alliance to gain more recovering time. He wants to reduce everything to desolation and remake the realms in his image and wants to even throw down the chaos gods. It was clear overall he was going to back stab him. I feel the point is mannfred is trying to be independant but in the end he will always fall under the sway of nagash and his manipulations.

Even Arkhan call's sigmar, Sigmar the betrayer, Sigmar the barbarian, Sigmar the Deceiver.
    Last edited by shinros; 16-07-2016 at 02:08.

In the audio books, Mannfred comes groveling before Nagash, and Nagash makes pretty clear he just wants Mannfred Dead. Later combined forces of undead and stormcast track him down, chop him in half, and chuck him down a pit, and Arkhan is all 'yup, that fulfills our agreement, we'll fight for you'. There is zero indication that Nagash wants Mannfred back, only that he wants him destroyed. And for his part Mannfred absolutely is not fighting for Nagash.

So yeah... mannfred's independent, and Nagash doesn't even want him.

As for Nagash making a deal with [EDIT: Archaon, not Arkhan] way back when, that's just what Sigmar assumed happened, afaik it was never confirmed in the plot, and if it was then that just means Nagash did something deliberately stupid instead of for no reason at all. The choices seem to be that either Nagash was stupid or Nagash chooses his actions each day based on a die roll or Nagash wasn't the one who betrayed Sigmar at the all gates, and really that's far more Mannfred's style, so I was fine just assuming that would be the eventual reveal, but now in the seasons of war campaign, despite the undead just re-establishing the alliance with order like two minutes ago in the realm gates campaign, already they're attacking order settlements, and instead of giving us any reason, the campaign fluff is all 'who cares why nagash does anything, he's just a bad guy lol', which is hard to get motivated by, you know?
    Last edited by malisteen; 17-07-2016 at 00:49.
    ~ Malisteen

Commander

Thanks for taking the time to write it up OP.

Does anyone have links to any new maps or anything? I've been waiting for some sort of "galaxy" map or something to at least sketch out how it all fits together.

Fantastic guide - great to see this setting taking shape to a point where it is starting to get me interested. They have made a lot of good progress since last year. Again, I would like to see more of the common man, the cultures and societies that supports these war machines. Very excited to hear a big Tzeentch force is soon coming into the war.

It's true what is said though, finding it hard to see exactly why some factions are fighting certain factions and not just the crazy ones.

Veteran Sergeant

It's true what is said though, finding it hard to see exactly why some factions are fighting certain factions and not just the crazy ones.
    With nagash its plain in the audio drama nagash still has his beef with sigmar from the old would and the stealing of souls and the dead depriving him of strength, Destruction has a very big story in all-gates on how they punk sigmar's faction and order? Well they want to take back their cities and recolonize the mortal realms. Does chaos need any explanation?

In the audio books, Mannfred comes groveling before Nagash, and Nagash makes pretty clear he just wants Mannfred Dead. Later combined forces of undead and stormcast track him down, chop him in half, and chuck him down a pit, and Arkhan is all 'yup, that fulfills our agreement, we'll fight for you'. There is zero indication that Nagash wants Mannfred back, only that he wants him destroyed. And for his part Mannfred absolutely is not fighting for Nagash.

So yeah... mannfred's independent, and Nagash doesn't even want him.

As for Nagash making a deal with [EDIT: Archaon, not Arkhan] way back when, that's just what Sigmar assumed happened, afaik it was never confirmed in the plot, and if it was then that just means Nagash did something deliberately stupid instead of for no reason at all. The choices seem to be that either Nagash was stupid or Nagash chooses his actions each day based on a die roll or Nagash wasn't the one who betrayed Sigmar at the all gates, and really that's far more Mannfred's style, so I was fine just assuming that would be the eventual reveal, but now in the seasons of war campaign, despite the undead just re-establishing the alliance with order like two minutes ago in the realm gates campaign, already they're attacking order settlements, and instead of giving us any reason, the campaign fluff is all 'who cares why nagash does anything, he's just a bad guy lol', which is hard to get motivated by, you know?
    No, nagash does not want mannfred dead it's pretty clear he want's to punish his Mortarch I got the book version of the audio drama sitting in front me with the text in the epilogue. "I will find the princeling and chain him to my throne." Even during the grovelling no where does he states that he will kill Mannfred. The only time he talks about what he will do to him is in the epilouge. He was about to punish mannfred before Tarsem stepped up. Then mannfred revealed who they are then Nagash proceeded to kill the stormcast to take what belong's to him. During that whole conversation he call's Mannfred, Child, beast and Mortarch. Arkhan clearly stated nagash let him run around to see if he learned any new tricks. Nagash was watching the whole time. Thing is he still bare's his title but he has fallen out of favour. Nagash has like 4 speeches where he states that he hate's sigmar and state's he needs to recover his power(Due to sigmar stealing souls) and he is tearing apart Tarsem's soul finding answer's on how sigmar is doing this.(I am calling it now Tarsem is going to be a new Mortarch) Is it really surprising that nagash betray's sigmar? Really? Come now.

I do think sigmar is a intelligent man and I personally think he just sent the stormcast to nagash to gauge his response and I think nagash responded as expected. I do think it surprised sigmar that he "allied" with him for a time to hit his all-gate's point but as always nagash is always nagash.

In the very end Mannfred does not fall into a pit. He stab's the stormcast a portal begins to open as the stormcast flesh begins to meld together in lightning forming a portal, he then get's cut in half and as he begins getting sucked into the portal it then changes to purple, Before it vanished/explodes leaving only blood spatter and bits of roasted armor which fell over the tower top not mannfred's body. Plus if mannfred did not get sucked into the portal Arkhan next response would make no sense. Arkhan state's the fang can manipulate the passage between realms and Nagash consider's the thing a bauble compared to his power. In my mind that's a pretty telling hint considering in the all-gate book it clearly state's that nagash is gathering his mortarch's for war. Do also remember that Ramus and the Astral Templar's mission was to capture mannfred and bring him to sigmar in sliver chains to present to his old foe. Considering Nagash is planning to betray sigmar do you think Nagash would allow such a thing to happen? I don't think so. The BL are written with the campaign books in mind, sometimes you don't get the whole picture unless you read both together and fit the event's together.

If I am correct the only person who truly won in that situation is Nagash, no giant army that needs to be dealt with, Mortarch disciplined( if I am right he now also has him) and he still has Tarsem's soul without expending a large amount of power to do so I will say it's been a good day for him.

Still I will ask David if he could shed some light on the situation.

Here is the all-gate blurb on it from the semi time line for those interested.

"Nagash, The Great Betrayel again(If you read the book or audio drama you knew this was coming)"

"Nagash had led the emissaries of the Anvil's of Heldenhammer to believe that he would join them in their assault upon the fortress of Gothizzar, the all gate that guarded the endgate. Nagash Knew that the arcway leading from the Allpoints to Shyish must be shuttered, but he did not aid the stormcast eternals. Such an alliance did not suit the great necromancer; after all, Nagash still did not consider his long-standing grudge against sigmar for the wrongs done to him repaid. From his throne of bones he watched the stormcast eternals die at Gothizzar. When he was ready, Nagash's assault upon that fortress would not fail. He summoned his Mortarch's to council....."

We all know how nagash can bear a grudge look at the tomb kings and their country(when he killed them all). Even in end times when settra said no he pretty much destroyed every single tomb, settlment and palace while settra watched.

I suspect there was no agreement between the gods I just think sigmar wants to use mannfred as leverage against nagash. Arkhan at the end just burnt a ghoul and all he did was talk about nagash wanting to punish him and just pretty much stands there. Don't you think it's kinda odd that Arkhan just appears while mannfred is surronded was going to be taken by sigmar's warriors? I do considering the detail of the portal being purple. I think Nagash has his grubby hands on mannfred AND still has tarsem's soul
    Last edited by shinros; 17-07-2016 at 09:42.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast